Mini TR for another Boston Road Trip - updated Nov 22

KathyM2

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone!

It's been so long I don't know if anyone even remembers me in these parts! I've been a terrible DIS'er except on FB. I'm gonna go see if any of my DISpeeps are still on here and with any trips in the works!! I have just signed up to do the Princess 5K on Feb 22nd with Autism Speaks. In order to get the event rates at a WDW hotel I had to stay a minimum of two nights and get minimum two day base ticket for the parks (not that this is a problem lol)

Once again I'm planning a WDW trip way closer to the actual departure date than I'd prefer...but hey...surprise last minute Disney for two days is better than no Disney, right??

I haven't decided yet if I will stay in WDW from Feb 19-22 or from Feb 20-23. The thing is, before I came up with this ingenious plan, I was already booked on a cruise leaving out of Fort Lauderdale on Feb 23. The races are always at times when I won't be anywhere near Florida...so when I realized this was when the Princess half marathon weekend was...I knew I had to try to make this work...even though the only feasible race is the 5K on the Friday because the cruise leaves on the Saturday...at least I can do that AND get to the race expo because RunDisney MERCH...I'm so excited!

So here's where I need some expert DIS help...

Which option would you choose?

Option A: Fly to FLL on Feb 19. Stay at CBR from Feb 19-22. Race is on Feb 22, must get up at 4am and run at 5:30am, then would have to come back to the hotel and check out that day, then find a way to get to Fort Lauderdale and spend one night in a Fort Lauderdale hotel before cruise departure Feb 23.

Option B: Fly to FLL on Feb 20. Stay at CBR from Feb 20-23. Do race on Feb 22 and get to relax and spend day at Disney after the race. Morning of Feb 23, rush to bus station and take bus 3 hours to Fort Lauderdale and stress about getting to cruise ship on time. But get to hang at Disney after the race!!

Any opinions on this? Does anyone know if Greyhound busses are pretty reliable in Florida? If I take the Greyhound on the morning of Feb 23 - it leaves Orlando at 9:50am and is supposed to arrive in Fort Lauderdale by 1:20pm. I would then still have to get from the bus depot to the cruise ship port - and have to be at the port by 2:30pm. Is this realistic? I would probably be a stressball the whole time...is there bad traffic on the route from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale?

I know this has nothing to do with Disney yet lol. As soon as I get this part worked out, and actually pay my deposit...I will be able to think about planning the actual Disney portion of this trip....!!

TIA for any help on this!! Also happy to be back and would like to see all my DisFriends around here again..gonna go cruise around and see what you all have been up to!!

Kathy! It's so nice to see you here again! If it were me - because I'm super stressy about everything :laughing: - I'd head down on February 19 and give myself a cushion day between WDW and the cruise. I'm sure the buses are reliable, so either option I'm sure will work out great. But if you were to give yourself a cushion day, you could always spend the day of the race at Disney Springs before heading to Fort Lauderdale for the night ;)

Will you be doing a TR for this trip?!

Hi Tracy!! Nice to "see" you again too!!

If it were me - because I'm super stressy about everything :laughing: - I'd head down on February 19

This made me laugh because like you, I too am "super stressy" about EVERYTHING too! Maybe that's why I think we'd be friends IRL too!! lol. I decided to go with that, I'll post more deets in a minute, but I agree, I think that my anxiety over getting to FLL on time for the cruise ship on the Saturday AM would probably negate any additional fun I could have had by spending that day at the parks lol.

Will you be doing a TR for this trip?!

I'm not sure. I may do what I usually do, just sort of roll my PTR into a semi live TR lol...and part life journal as well lol...I hope no one minds!!

Hi again,

I decided after much deliberation, to go down to WDW on the Tuesday Feb 19 and stay until Feb 22nd, then head to FLL on the afternoon of Feb 22nd, so plans are as follows:

Tuesday Feb 19 - fly to MCO - haven't booked flight yet, but most likely I will get on a flight that will get me to MCO afternoon ish, so I can get checked in and have dinner somewhere...TBD but not be super late

Wednesday Feb 20-Thursday Feb 21 - these will be my two park days. I get a 2 day base ticket with my RunDisney package. Most likely I will choose MK and EP as my two parks. On the Thursday I will have to go to the RunDisney Expo - which will cut into park time a bit, but has to be done - also MERCH!! I will have to figure out the best way to plan that. My instinct is like with parks to try to "rope drop" the Expo, but from what I have read that is actually not the best strategy because it's jammed at the start...but then...I may miss out on the best merch...so not entirely sure what is best to do here. Also means I won't get to a park probably until afternoon...so I have to decide which park is best to go to when I can't get an early start.

Friday Feb 22 - super early AM will be the Princess 5K that I'm doing. I hope that even with my turtle pace running that I'll be able to get back to CBR with ample time to shower and change and pack up...and maybe even squeeze in a nap, before trying to make my way to the Greyhound Bus station - probably via Uber or Lyft (or Minnie van? or is that just for Disney property?)

Friday Feb 22 - stay at FLL hotel for one night

Sat Feb 23-Saturday March 2 - go on cruise - Eastern Caribbean on the Caribbean Princess

So...is anyone going to be at the parks on Feb 20 or 21? This is my first time going solo and while going to the parks alone doesn't bother me...unless I can find someone to have a meal with, I will most likely only be doing QS dining, because I don't know that I have the balls to try TS by myself....

I will get into more detailed planning after I get my flights booked. Have to figure out what order is best for my parks days and what FP's I will want. Luckily even though this is a semi last minute trip, I've still make it with time to figure out some FP+ before the window opens. Part of me wants to try to get to DHS with Toy Story Land...but with only two park days and no hopper...I just can't pass up my two faves. I will go back to all the parks once Star Wars land is done.

That's all for now!!

Maybe that's why I think we'd be friends IRL too!!
We would def be friends IRL :hug:

I think that my anxiety over getting to FLL on time for the cruise ship on the Saturday AM would probably negate any additional fun I could have had by spending that day at the parks lol.
Yes, that's exactly how I'd feel too - it'd impact my mood during my Disney time and there's no time for that!

I'm not sure. I may do what I usually do, just sort of roll my PTR into a semi live TR lol...and part life journal as well lol...I hope no one minds!!
That works for me! :thumbsup2

I get a 2 day base ticket with my RunDisney package.
I didn't know that! I'll have to use this in the future to convince my sister to do Disney again ;)

This is my first time going solo and while going to the parks alone doesn't bother me...unless I can find someone to have a meal with, I will most likely only be doing QS dining, because I don't know that I have the balls to try TS by myself....
I totally get this. I travel to Disney solo more often than I don't and there are certain TS restaurants that are more awkward than others (lookin at you, 50s Prime Time and Sci-Fi). But it hasn't stopped me from experiencing both those restaurants and more solo. I always have a book or two handy and just read (except at Sci-Fi :laughing:) as I dine. Books come in handy for waiting in lines too without anyone to talk to. ;) But I do get it!

Part of me wants to try to get to DHS with Toy Story Land...but with only two park days and no hopper...I just can't pass up my two faves.
I am with you here 100% as well. It's hard to pass up EP and MK!

I didn't know that! I'll have to use this in the future to convince my sister to do Disney again ;)

Yes totally!! They sure know how to get you at Disney lol. They don't want you just getting a deal on the hotel and not spending any money in the parks lol. But I don't mind lol

there are certain TS restaurants that are more awkward than others (lookin at you, 50s Prime Time and Sci-Fi). But it hasn't stopped me from experiencing both those restaurants and more solo.

Yeah Sci-Fi, what do they do if you are solo? Do you still get to sit in a car?? At least it's dark...50's Prime Time...not sure I'd have the balls for that one lol BOG I think I would do though if I can get an ADR.

It's been so long I don't know if anyone even remembers me in these parts!

Hmmmm.... Kapri? Karli?... no.... Kandy? Dang it! Hang on..... Kashmir?.... Kathy?... Kathy! Yep, Kathy.

I have just signed up to do the Princess 5K

Good for you!

Option A: Fly to FLL on Feb 19. Stay at CBR from Feb 19-22. Race is on Feb 22, must get up at 4am and run at 5:30am, then would have to come back to the hotel and check out that day, then find a way to get to Fort Lauderdale and spend one night in a Fort Lauderdale hotel before cruise departure Feb 23.

Option B: Fly to FLL on Feb 20. Stay at CBR from Feb 20-23. Do race on Feb 22 and get to relax and spend day at Disney after the race. Morning of Feb 23, rush to bus station and take bus 3 hours to Fort Lauderdale and stress about getting to cruise ship on time. But get to hang at Disney after the race!!

I decided after much deliberation, to go down to WDW on the Tuesday Feb 19 and stay until Feb 22nd, then head to FLL on the afternoon of Feb 22nd

I was going to offer my 2 cents, but you've already decided! So.... then my advice is to do what you decided. I'm smart.

I was going to offer my 2 cents, but you've already decided! So.... then my advice is to do what you decided. I'm smart.

You really are smart because you think like me!!

But I still would have liked your two cents.

Actually for somewhere like Florida with so many tourists and people going up and down that coast, the travel options are surprisingly limited for getting from Orlando to FLL. I was pretty surprised not to be able to find anything that worked other than this Greyhound bus. But oh well, it will have to do.

It's pretty quiet in here, but since I've been pretty scarce on everyone else's PTR's and TR's for the past uh...year or so...ahem...I guess I don't blame anyone for the crickets around here....

I emailed the travel agent who is booking my CBR and base ticket package on behalf of Autism Speaks for the Princess 5K. Why yes, I am actually a travel agent myself and could have booked this, but because I got my race entry through Autism speaks, I'm obligated to also book my travel through them. Kind of stinks because I could have earned my own commission back on the trip otherwise or gotten TA rates...but what can you do. It was funny though, because the agent had told me it was booked and sent me an invoice etc, and I emailed her back to ask when I'd get my official Disney reservation number. She wrote me back with this long email about creating my MDE account and making ADR's and FP+ etc and I was like "Yeah yeah I know all about MDE, just give me the damn reservation number before my FP+ day dammit" (only I was nicer than that, really I swear) Although I get the feeling I know more about Disney than she does even though I'm a new travel agent but have been around this DIS block a few times.

ANYWAY, I now have my reservation number and my FP+ day is coming up soon on Dec 21...which I will be away from home for but I will have to make sure I have my laptop to get on there. Although since I'm only doing MK and EP and not trying to get into TSL and DHS...I'm hoping that getting up at the butt crack of dawn to make my selections won't be necessary.

I found out that @DonnaBeeGood is gonna be there at the same time as me!! YAY!! Hopefully she doesn't think I'm too nuts and maybe we can have a DISmeet or two if our schedules work out!

I'm trying to decide if I actually need to make any ADR's as a solo traveller this time. I actually don't think I will. I'm starting to think a solo trip may require a lot less planning. I will just pick my FP's and not have to do much else...that feels kind of liberating.

For my arrival day I will get in late afternoon, so I will probably either head from CBR to a monorail resort, or maybe DS for dinner....will have to consider the best options and the timing for that...

I think that's it for plans so far...I am kidding myself that there won't be a lot more thinking into this...and still have to figure out what FP+ to try for....but I'm gonna try to be laid back about this lol

You really are smart because you think like me!!

:snooty:

Actually for somewhere like Florida with so many tourists and people going up and down that coast, the travel options are surprisingly limited for getting from Orlando to FLL. I was pretty surprised not to be able to find anything that worked other than this Greyhound bus. But oh well, it will have to do.

Car rental?

It's pretty quiet in here, but since I've been pretty scarce on everyone else's PTR's and TR's for the past uh...year or so...ahem...I guess I don't blame anyone for the crickets around here....

You've got me here. Really... that's all you need.

:rolleyes1

Why yes, I am actually a travel agent myself and could have booked this, but because I got my race entry through Autism speaks, I'm obligated to also book my travel through them.

Ah. Gotcha.

She wrote me back with this long email about creating my MDE account and making ADR's and FP+ etc and I was like "Yeah yeah I know all about MDE, just give me the damn reservation number before my FP+ day dammit"

:lmao:

I found out that @DonnaBeeGood is gonna be there at the same time as me!!

Nice! Hope you guys have a nice meet. Wish I could meet you both. :)

I'm trying to decide if I actually need to make any ADR's as a solo traveller this time.

I've gone solo a couple times and... I booked ADRs. I've been to too many restaurants (at Disney, I mean) where I've walked in just as they've turned people away.

even though the only feasible race is the 5K on the Friday because the cruise leaves on the Saturday...at least I can do that AND get to the race expo because RunDisney MERCH...I'm so excited!
Run Disney merch....yay! I wonder what the Dooney and Bourke bag will be like for the Marathon weekend?

I'm trying to decide if I actually need to make any ADR's as a solo traveller this time. I actually don't think I will. I'm starting to think a solo trip may require a lot less planning. I will just pick my FP's and not have to do much else...that feels kind of liberating.

For my arrival day I will get in late afternoon, so I will probably either head from CBR to a monorail resort, or maybe DS for dinner....will have to consider the best options and the timing for that...

I think that's it for plans so far...I am kidding myself that there won't be a lot more thinking into this...and still have to figure out what FP+ to try for....but I'm gonna try to be laid back about this lol
Solo trips are awesome....do what you want, when you want, it's great! I have no issues eating at TS solo and have dined anywhere from California Grill to 50's to Yak'n'Yeti. The lounges are also a great option! Your trip sounds like it is going to be so much fun!!!!

Run Disney merch....yay! I wonder what the Dooney and Bourke bag will be like for the Marathon weekend?

I bet it will be amazing!!

Solo trips are awesome....do what you want, when you want, it's great! I have no issues eating at TS solo and have dined anywhere from California Grill to 50's to Yak'n'Yeti. The lounges are also a great option! Your trip sounds like it is going to be so much fun!!!!

Yeah I think it will be a different type of trip!! I have heard good things about lounges so that might be the thing to do!

Yes totally!! They sure know how to get you at Disney lol. They don't want you just getting a deal on the hotel and not spending any money in the parks lol. But I don't mind lol
They sure do! They are excellent at marketing :laughing:

Yeah Sci-Fi, what do they do if you are solo? Do you still get to sit in a car?? At least it's dark...50's Prime Time...not sure I'd have the balls for that one lol BOG I think I would do though if I can get an ADR.
Yep, I've sat in a car both times I went solo at Sci-Fi. The first time was super awkward, the second time not nearly as bad. But 50s... I'll definitely be waiting to go back there until I have someone with me :laughing:

ANYWAY, I now have my reservation number and my FP+ day is coming up soon on Dec 21
Yay! That's coming right up :thumbsup2

That might be weird...was there a couple behind or in front of you in the same car? That could be a bit awkward indeed...hmmm...
It was awkward, but you just gotta weigh the awkward against the experience... plus everyone is too busy watching the screen to pay much attention anyway :laughing:

Looking forward to meeting you in person! I will admit I am nervous about official DisMeets, but as I was telling the girls at work - how wonderful it will be to be at Disney with someone else who loves it, instead of someone who is trying to tolerate it for my sake!

Hey Donna!! Looking forward to meeting you too!!! I have had a couple of DisMeets and everyone is always super nice!! You are right, it's great to share Disney with someone who loves it!! I will let you know when I book my FP+

Hi DisPeeps!

I've been doing some research on Touringplans and other random stuff...trying to figure out the best plan for this trip. My FP+ day is coming up soon!! With only basically 1 1/2 park days...I know I will just have to accept the fact that there won't be time for EVERYTHING that I want to do. I'm really excited that @DonnaBeeGood will be there too. We have been chatting a big via email and turns out she is a ride wimp too - although I don't think she is as much of one as I am - you may recall I took the chicken exit on 7DMT last time I was at MK...sadly!!

I'm torn as to whether I should use an FP+ and attempt it again, or just accept that I'm a wuss and use it for something I know I will not get stressed out about going on. I really would like to see the theming inside the ride, but not sure I have it in me to actually go on. Realizing that I think this solo trip may be a bit more spontaneous than I'm used to, which probably has both pros and cons lol. I'm such a planner that I want to have a loose plan, but it's nice that I will be able to just go with the flow if I feel like it!!

My loose'ish plan goes something like this:

Tuesday Feb 19 - arrive at MCO, take ME to the CBR and check in etc. My flight is due to land at MCO around 1pm. So what's a reasonable time to expect to get luggage, get on ME and get to the hotel and be checked in and ready to go out again? 4:00pm? 5:00pm?

I'm debating a couple of options for food this evening. Easiest but most unexciting would be to just explore the resort and find what's on offer there. Option 2 would be to head to DS which is tempting me because this night is likely my only opportunity to get to DS on this trip, and DS is easy to get to from CBR right? With what I've heard about the bus situation and the huge size of this resort, I'm thinking whatever I decide to do I may try a Minnie Van just so I can say I did lol My third option I was thinking was to head to one of the lounges at a resort - I'm open to suggestions if anyone has a fave - somewhere with good nibbles and atmosphere. I was thinking maybe one of the monorail resorts, but also maybe somewhere that I've never been before.

Wednesday Feb 20 - MK day!! According to Touringplans - this is the best choice of my top two parks (MK and EP) for this day, so that's what it will be!! I will try to RD and get at least one SB ride on my beloved Peter Pan, and then hit whatever else I can with short wait times before I have to start using my FP+. For FP+ I'm thinking maybe a ride on PP, Buzz and maybe Pirates or 7DMT if I get up the nerve. Then see what time it is and wander around until I feel like a rest. Since I'm solo - I will see if I feel the need for an actual full on go back to the hotel for swim type rest, or just a park bench rest in the actual park. I guess part of that depends on the weather too. In the afternoon and evening I will meander around to whatever looks good and has short waits. If I don't do a mid day hotel break, then the park day may end earlier because I'd be wiped lol...but if I do have a rest, then I would likely stay later at night....I kind of love that I don't have to decide that right now....though who are we kidding, with two months to go I will probably have it all planned out in a few weeks lol....

Thursday Feb 21 - RunDisney Expo and EP day - This day I will be up at the crack of dawn to get to the RunDisney Expo. I will more than likely use an Uber or Minnie Van because I want to get there early and not spend too long in transit. I hear that this is actually the worst time to go, but I really don't feel like I have a choice because I do want to see what merch is available and then have time to go to EP later in the day and do food booths at the Arts festival etc...I guess there would be the option to RD EP and then take a mid day break for the Expo...but that just seems like a lot of trouble...I may have to revisit that idea because it just occurred to me....if anyone has thoughts on this that would be great... Anyway...if I stick to this plan....I would probably have to head back to the CBR after the Race Expo because who are we kidding, there will be shopping bags I don't want to lug around all day. Probably find a snack somewhere in transit, and then head out to EP for the later afternoon/evening...do a few rides and then food...I won't want to stay up super late this night because 4:30 am will come quickly!!

Friday Feb 22 - Princess 5K race day - I don't even want to think about what time I will have to set an alarm for on this day. Middle of the night. Anyway, because I am slow as heck I will be in one of the later corrals so maybe I won't have to be there quite as early, but still, not a lot of sleep in the works. I hope to get to the race, finish and then get back to the CBR at a reasonable time. I'm trying to make a 1pm Greyhound but that will take me down to FLL for a cruise. It's gonna suck having to rush back, shower and leave...but what can you do.

So that's my short and sweet trip plan so far...feel free to comment!! It isn't as long a trip as I'd like, but a little WDW is better than no WDW. I think I do just have to try to ignore the ridiculous amount of money it is costing for a 2 day park ticket when I probably won't really get two jam packed days in. I need to focus on quality and not quantity and just soak up the Disney atmosphere and magic and not focus on how much I'm getting done.

That's it for now!

With only basically 1 1/2 park days...I know I will just have to accept the fact that there won't be time for EVERYTHING that I want to do.

DO IT ALL! ALL FOUR PARKS! IN ONE DAY!

Sorry. Got carried away there.

I'm really excited that @DonnaBeeGood will be there too.

Yay!

I'm torn as to whether I should use an FP+ and attempt it again, or just accept that I'm a wuss and use it for something I know I will not get stressed out about going on.

Hmmm...
I'm torn on the advice to give you.
My first thought was... why are you torturing yourself? If you want to go, then go. If you don't, then don't. Do what makes you happy.

On the other hand, maybe the two of you can egg each other on and you'll do it.
Have you done BTMRR? If you have, 7DMT is much tamer.

Tuesday Feb 19 - arrive at MCO, take ME to the CBR and check in etc. My flight is due to land at MCO around 1pm. So what's a reasonable time to expect to get luggage, get on ME and get to the hotel and be checked in and ready to go out again? 4:00pm? 5:00pm?

Hmmm... If you're picking up your luggage, then I'd allow 1.5 hours to get to the resort. After that... depends. But I would think 4pm would be easily do-able.

I'm debating a couple of options for food this evening. Easiest but most unexciting would be to just explore the resort and find what's on offer there. Option 2 would be to head to DS which is tempting me because this night is likely my only opportunity to get to DS on this trip, and DS is easy to get to from CBR right? With what I've heard about the bus situation and the huge size of this resort, I'm thinking whatever I decide to do I may try a Minnie Van just so I can say I did lol My third option I was thinking was to head to one of the lounges at a resort - I'm open to suggestions if anyone has a fave - somewhere with good nibbles and atmosphere. I was thinking maybe one of the monorail resorts, but also maybe somewhere that I've never been before.

Minnie Van = $$$$. Uber or Lyft = $.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts