The one where we ate a lot of food. UPDATED 5/9

Shellbells

DIS Veteran
With the parks closed, this thread has slowed down quite a bit so I thought I'd give this another shot.
I'm going to warn you though, that I lack the wit and storytelling ability that many of you have.
Consider yourself warned...

In late January, DH and I flew out of Vegas after work. Here we are at the airport, getting DH some pizza. DH was already tired after working construction all day...and he wasn't feeling selfie time like I was. But this was the first picture of the trip and it's going to post sideways anyway, so here ya go.
20200122_160427.jpg

By the time DME dropped us at POP it was already 2:15 am. So 11:00 pm Vegas time but since we had gotten up at 4am we were exhausted. We always say we aren't going to fly out after work anymore and we always end up doing it anyway.

We booked the first night at POP to save a little money and then moved to our package resort the next day. Its a fun resort and always looks pretty at night.
20200123_023904.jpg
And for your viewing pleasure... the following morning
20200123_081813.jpg
Our room was on the 3rd floor behind the green record.
20200123_082418.jpg
And here was our view
20200123_092953.jpg
We didn't pay for a pool view but there it was.
I think POP is a great choice since the room renovation and Skyliner. The rooms are clean and comfortable although they do lack warmth. But at that price I don't mind and we've booked a week there this coming December.

This was our 3rd trip in 10 months. Once without any dining plan and once with the regular one. Since it was just the 2 of us this time, we decided to go all out and book the DxDP. We wanted to try some of the signature restaurants and we enjoy getting appetizers. Yes, this ended up being a lot of food and most desserts didn't eaten past a bite or two. But we still loved it. Its prepaid so you can order whatever you want and you dont need to keep a tally of how much you're spending. Without it, I know we'd end up eating burgers for a week rather than pay those prices.

Still tired and hungry to the point of hangry we made our way to Disney Springs and wandered around until our ADR at 11 at Homecomin'.

I have always wanted to eat here and could never seem to get an ADR.
I posted a mini review after we ate so I won't go over everything in crazy detail but its AMAZING and I loved it even more than I thought I would.
I ordered the sweet tea moonshine but forgot to take a picture. Guys, this is a dangerous drink. Its delicious and the taste of the alcohol is subtle enough that you dont notice how much your drinking until WHAM! You're tipsy. Or maybe that's just me. Admittedly,I'm a lightweight.

I was pretty hungry since I hadn't eaten since lunch the previous day so I ordered the Jasper Board for my starter.
This is an excellent deal on the DDxP. But happily it's also what I wanted.
20200123_112337.jpg
20200123_112344.jpg

DH ate the nuts, pickles and sausages. I ate the ham which was so yummy but very salty, the phenomenal pimento cheese dip and the fish dip on crackers. I didn't love the crackers but they worked just fine as a vessel to get the tasty dips into my mouth, lol.

DH ordered the hush puppies with tartar sauce instead of whatever they usually come with.
20200123_112340.jpg

For my entree I ordered the shrimp and grits. I was getting pretty full by this time and wanted to save room for dessert so I ate about 1/2 the shrimp and a few bites of grits. They were very good but I think next time I'll try the famous fried chicken.
20200123_114537.jpg

DH ordered the catfish which comes with grits. I find catfish to be too mushy so I didn't try it but he said it was good.
20200123_114530.jpg

At this point I saw a vlogger that I enjoy and went over to go say hi. I was gone quite a while so DH had ordered dessert and already tried both of them before I came back so I didn't take any pictures of them.

He got the chocolate pecan pie and I got the hummingbird cake.
He didn't like the pie but that cake is a gift from the food gods. It ended up being one of my favorite desserts of the whole trip.

Next up..
Check in at a new to us resort, a magically good time and signature #1.

Nice review. That board looks really good. My husband would like the catfish as well. Thanks for doing a report. I need a bit of Disney Food in my shelter in place life.

Day 2 part 2.
We originally had a reservation at Topolino at 7 for dinner but we were so tired we changed it to another day and then canceled it.
We decided to see if our room was ready but decided to check out The Riviera first.
From the outside DH said it looked like a condominium building and when looking at it like that, I kind of agree with him.
I thought the lobby was beautiful and I loved artwork around what little we saw of the resort.
20200407_093810.jpg20200123_134834.jpg

I'm not sure but I think this is a bocce court? I'd love to give this a whirl.
20200123_134615.jpg

And to keep this food related, here are some of the goodies in the little cafe off the lobby.
They look delish!
20200123_134144.jpg

We road the Skyliner over to....The Boardwalk!!
Guys, I was so excited to be staying at an Epcot resort. We were there mostly for the Festival of the Arts and decided to splurge on a deluxe so we could walk over.
The location can not be beat. We loved walking along the boardwalk and seeing it all lit up at night. The grounds are really pretty too.
I didn't love the decor but DH thought it was great and wants to stay there again. I wish it had better counter service meal options and walking outside in the rain to the bakery was a little...well, wet. But overall it's a great choice if you can afford it.
20200125_102605.jpg20200125_084010.jpg20200126_140252.jpg20200126_142522.jpg

We made it to the room and crashed. We woke up around 6 and managed to get an ADR at Flying Fish!
20200126_091002.jpg

During the planning of our trip we had looked at the menu and even though I love seafood nothing looked that good to me so we passed on it. DH really wanted to try the tomahawk though so we decided to give it a shot

I'm at my picture limit so I'll continue in the next post

After we woke up from our much needed nap, we freshened up and I discovered that the bathroom door latch was broken. The door wouldn't stay closed. It's a sliding door and it would just slid right open. We didn't call because we didn't want to come across as complaining but in hindsight I should have said something on our last day so the next occupants wouldn't have to deal with it. Tbh, I was slightly irritated about it given the cost of the room. As usual DH took it in stride. It takes a lot to even make him mildly irritated.

Ok, onto the good stuff!
We made our way down to the boardwalk and decided to stop at the Abracadabar for a drink.
We had an amazing server. I think his name was Dylan but I'm not 100% sure. He actually sat down with us at one point and had a chat. He was just delightful.
For my first drink I ordered this.
20200407_103752.jpg
If anyone knows what this is, let me know. I do remember liking this what ever it was.

DH ordered Hoodunits Punch. He loved it so much he ordered another one after he finished the first one.
20200407_103805.jpg
There was a group across from us and one of the ladies ordered a magic drink. The server tells this funny spiel and then poured the drink into a shaker and when he poured it back into the glass it had changed colors. MAGIC! It was fun and everyone around loved it.

For my 2nd "watch me make this disappear" drink, I ordered the Collins Double. After I asked for the servers suggestion, he took the time to ask me questions about what flavors I like. I thought that was very nice of him.
20200407_103823.jpg

And he was right. This was a winner for me! I disappeared that drink in no time! In fact I'm actually not much of a drinker and I was slightly tipsy afterwards. Our server came over to tell us about the Magic Mirror by the bathrooms and DH laughed at me as I pretended to put lipstick on in front of it so I could see the trick.

Happy and tipsy we made the looong trek to Flying Fish. Kidding, it's next door.

We we're seated right away at a lovely table next to the window.
Our server here was a bit of an odd duck. He would stay at our table, way to long telling us stories about his past and then disappear for long periods of time.

First up, the bread service.
20200123_203625.jpg
I wish I could explain to you how delicious this was. The little bits of seaweed in the sourdough topped with the salted butter were perfection. This was the best bread we had the whole trip. It was even better than Yachtsman. (I said what I said. I won't take it back)

DH really wanted to try the tomahawk. We were on the ddxp and you can order it for 2 but it counts as an entree for you both. I'm not a fan of red meat so we decided I would get both appetizers for my entree.

I chose the Jumbo Shrimp and the Snow Crab Croquette.

20200123_204423.jpg

20200123_204429.jpg

I'm going to run out of adjectives to describe this meal. They were both fantastic. If I had to pick between the 2 I would give an edge to the shrimp. They were cooked perfectly and even though there is very little sauce on the plate it was amazing. I wish they would have given me a big ol' bucket of it. I also enjoyed the small piece of what I think were radish.

And the piece de resistance!! The Tomohawk!

20200123_211453.jpg

It's served with WAY to many tomatoes and a huge side of the most amazing mashed potatoes you will ever eat. Seriously, the were like crack. And of course I forgot to take a picture of them but you all know what they look like.
And DH ate every single bite! As you can see, he even cleaned off the bone, Fred Flintstone style. 'Cause
we're classy like that!

20200123_211950.jpg
Darn it! This is sideways but it's still funny so I'm leaving it in! Lol

When we were ready to order dessert, we couldn’t find the waiter. When we finally spotted him we tried to discreetly wave at him but he didn’t look in our direction.

A busser passed by and we asked him if we could order dessert. He was gracious enough to say he would relay what we wanted to the waiter.

We ordered the Blueberries, Limes and Sea Shells and the Cocoa Breach.

It actually took quite a while for us to get the desserts and when they arrived we got the Cocoa Breach and the Florida Sunset.
20200407_103854.jpg

20200123_214532.jpg

I was confused when I didn’t see meringue and asked the waiter if we got the right order. He said the busser told him this is what we wanted. He did offer to exchange it, but we had been waiting long enough and didn’t want to bother.

I’m going to be honest and tell you it was a fantastic mistake. We both loved the Florida Sunset. I would never have ordered it based on the description. The word “broth” doesn’t sound dessert-ish to me and I’m not a custard fan. It just goes to show you, you should branch out and try new things. When we have the chance to go back, we plan on ordering the same two desserts.

On the way out realized we forgot something at the table and DH went back to get it. The hostess asked me if we enjoyed our meal and I told her it was delicious and that my husband had loved the tomahawk so much that he had eaten the whole thing. She didn’t believe me. I assured her it was true as I don’t like steak. She then flagged the waiter over to ask him if it was true! And not in a funny way. So, that was a little awkward. Again.

I also want to say the manager stopped by once to see how we were doing and chat for a few moments. He was charming and pleasant and we appreciated him stopping by. So not all the service was bad.

For food alone, this meal was worth the 4 dining credits to us. We never would have ordered a $150.00 steak if we weren’t on the plan. In fact, we have a trip planned in December and plan on eating there for our anniversary dinner.

Next up Festival of the Arts, “should I eat fish while watching fish?” and “Oh my gosh it’s a Property Brother!”

Last edited:
I am impressed that he took down that entire steak--well done! Also (and this is from a HUGE tomato lover) what on earth was with *all* those tomatoes???

I am impressed that he took down that entire steak--well done! Also (and this is from a HUGE tomato lover) what on earth was with *all* those tomatoes???

I know! DH said they were there as a plate filler and there was no way he was going to waste stomach space on them, lol.

Day 2!

We're early risers and even with the time difference I still wake up before the sun. I decided to take a walk on the Boardwalk and enjoy the peace and quiet.
It really is so beautiful, isn't it?
20200124_065652.jpg

When the bakery finally opened I went in to get a latte.
20200124_064144.jpg
I think I asked for a medium. There's no way this could be a large. And this little guy was what I got. It was so small I also bought a soda for some extra caffeine.

DH was playing golf this morning so I decided to walk over to Epcot and walk around. It was a little worried I would feel awkward being alone but it was actually a fun morning.

I decided to do the rides my husband wasn't interested in. I rope dropped Frozen which I had never done before. And to be honest will probably never do again. The also did Space Ship Earth, Mission Space and Figment.

I was getting a little hungry so I stopped by Joffreys and got the Festival of the Arts special " Impressionism Pairing: BlackBerry Iced Latte with a blueberry donut"
20200124_111452.jpg
It was delicious but too much sugar for me so I could only eat 1/2 the donut.

World Showcase finally opened so I wandered around and checked out all the art. I've now done all the major festivals at Epcot and I have to say, this is my favorite. I fell in love with a print of Merida but I didn't pull the trigger and now I regret it.

After my stroll around the world I walked back to the BWI to meet up with my husband and get freshened up for lunch.

As I crossed the bridge toward the Skyliner, I saw a tall good looking man. He was dressed way too spiffy for a theme park and wearing fancy cowboy boots. He had a small entourage fluttering around him.
He was one of the two Property Brothers! I have no idea which one.

For some unknown reason, as we passed each other, I pointed at him and said "Hey! Hi!" Guys, the way I said it, is the way you would greet a friend you run into somewhere random. :sad2::sad: So embarrassing.
He looked at me, confused, and then gave me a little smile, waved and said hi. The people he was with all whipped their heads to see who he was talking to. Even more embarrassing.

My husband thought I was wrong about who I saw but still found this entire story hilarious. Because, of course he did.

For those of you who are curious, my husband was paired up with three guys from Massachusetts and he had a great time. He loved the Disney golf course and came back with lots of goodies from the shop.

Back to the food...I agonized over what to book for lunch. So many choices! I love seafood and my husband wanted to eat "in an aquarium" so we chose Coral Reef. Add this to the list of questionable choices I made that day.

We got there about 10 minutes early so we sat down to wait. And wait. And wait some more. I assumed they were packed so we weren't upset about it but when we went in, it was pretty empty.
We were thrilled however to get a lovely table in front of the aquarium.
20200124_130444.jpg
I ordered the Coral 'rita. It's a margarita on the rocks.
20200124_130006.jpg
It was good but it's hard to mess up a margarita. DH ordered a soda.

They started us with standard rolls and butter
20200124_125423.jpg

For starters I got a Cesar salad. It was light and fresh but nothing special.
20200124_125419.jpg
DH got clam chowder. This was horrible. It tastes like it was straight out of a can. Very watery and lacking in any flavor.
20200124_125428.jpg

I'm getting close to my picture limit so I'll continue in my next post...

Continued from last post

I ordered the Seared Mahi Mahi.
20200124_130833.jpg
Ok, this was actually pretty good. I was worried it would be too coconut flavored but it wasn't. I would get this again.

DH got the Grilled Rib-eye.
20200124_130848.jpg
According to him, this was not good. He actually ended up ordering the side of Lobster Mac and Cheese to eat instead.

For dessert I ordered the Key Lime Tart.
20200124_133106.jpg
This was ok. Again nothing special.

DH ordered this.
20200124_133110.jpg
After looking at the menu on allears, I'm thinking this was the Chocolate Wave but I'm not sure.

Overall the food ranged from "not good" to "just ok" to "good" Given all the choices we had in Epcot and the surrounding resorts, this was a bad choice and we probably won't be going back.

Later on our way past Canada guess who we ran into!
20200124_122243_capture.jpg
Take that hubby! Vindication! One of the people with him saw me take the picture and said he'd be happy to say hi and take one with me but since he'd already said hi to me, I politely passed, lol.

Does anyone know which brother this is?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter