The onsite-offsite debate continues...

monzmom

Mouseketeer
Good morning! I am planning a trip for 18 people in 01/03. Two of my sisters and a brother-in-law will be participating in the 2003 Marathon--they really want that Mickey Medal! I'm relatively new to the boards, so I've spent the majority of my time reading your posts. You all are a great source of info on anything Disney and I'm interesting in getting your opnions on the benefits of staying onsite.

From what I've read, the early entry program has been discountinued. :( Any ideas if the program would return if the economy picks up?

Onsite guests get unlimited use of WDW transportation. Isn't this also true if you purchase a Park Hopper Plus pass?

The theming of the resorts and pools are great.

Preferred Seating dining. If we stay off-site, would it be impossible to get into some of the character breakfasts or restaurants?

I realize there is "magic" in staying onsite, but I'm really finding it hard to justify the price. I've made a reservation at the Residence Inn for a two-bedroom suite with breakfast included for $158/night. By staying off site, we will probably be able to extend our stay. I'm very confused and would appreciate any input you could provide. Thanks for bearing with me! :confused:

Multiday ticket holders (i.e., Park Hoppers, Annual Passes, Premium Annual Passes) have access to WDW transportation.

Not sure what you mean by Preferred Seating, but if you mean the Disney version of reservations (Priority Seating), off-site guests may obtain Priority Seatings for WDW restaurants. However, depending on the time of year of your trip, you may not even need Priority Seating.

My .02--I've stayed on and offsite and have had wonderful vacations. Staying in an offsite suite did not diminish my WDW experience. If staying onsite is particularly important to all or some of your party, have you considered splitting your stay between offsite and onsite--perhaps staying in WDW accomodations the last couple of nights of your stay.

Good luck with your decision, and I know you and your family will have a terrific time

I'm a huge onsite fan, but not of all the onsite properties. You don't mention where onsite you are looking at. If my choice were the All Stars or a nice offsite resort like Residence Inn, I'd be offsite so fast your head would spin.

So, a few considerations:
1. Age of your group. If there are a lot of under six children, you will spend a lot of time at the MK. So an onsite MK resort is, IMHO, worth the $$. Other resorts, only if they have awesome theming like AKL, Boardwalk or Beach Club. The moderates don't do much for me either.
2. Where you plan to spend most of your time. Again, if its the MK, stay onsite at an MK resort. The other parks are not as much of a pain to get to, but do plan on renting cars. Those offsite busses are terrible unless you don't desire the degree of flexibility that I personally do.
3. Prioirity seating -- specifically where do you plan to go? It's great to go to Jiko or the CA Grill, sample from their fantastic wine selection, and not have to worry about a designated driver because you are getting on the boat/monorail/bus to go back to your room. Ditto being able to check your child into the kids club in that same resort while you dine! Also, some of those Character breakfasts sure seem early when you have a longer commute.

Enjoy your planning -- you've come to the right place. These boards have got me through two fabulous Disney trips!

We stayed at 3-bedroom condo, 1 mile from entrance, for free and that was too expensive. Now it's on-site or not at all for us.

That being said, there's one more thing to consider. We did the 1/2 marathon in 2001. We had to up at 3:00am to get the first buses to the start. If you're staying off-site, you'll have to get up much earlier because you have the extra drive as well as crazy traffic.

Joyful1nh - touched on another point. We had little ones who needed naps, even without the kids needing naps, we adults needed a midday break. The "1-mile from the entrance" took us 45 minutes each way. We wasted almost 4 hours/day in traveling. It would have been so nice to hop the monorail/bus to our resort.

All those things aside, the magic is worth every penny to us. We hated feeling like "Average Joe's" and just won't do it again. Just my $.02.

I have to agree that staying on-site is an incredible perk. My family has never used early entry so that was not an issue for us. The biggest plus (aside from the wonderful theming) was how easy it is to go from one place to another. Last month we stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge (truly amamzing place) and we were able to take a direct bus to AK for the A.M back to the hotel for a swim and rest, the afternoon was spent at MGM, dinner at Epcot and a direct bus back to AKL. No long waits for buses or parking lots. Most days we came back to the hotel at least once before heading back for dinner, parades or fireworks.
Additionaly, some of the on-site hotels - most noticeably the AK Lodge are destinations in and of themselves. You could spend a day just wandering around the hotel, looking at animals, taking the free African art tour, going to the storyteller at the fire pit and sampling the wonderful restaurants (don't forget the pool, hot tubs and spa). Money is always an issue and you'll want to spend it in the way that works best for you but I agree with an earlier post: even if it's just the first or last few days of your visit do try one the Disney deluxes. It really is an experience.

I have only stayed off site once and it was for one night. To me the Disney resort is a big part of the trip. I can be at a tropical island, Africa, or in the deep woods. As long as WDW has resorts I will continue to go and stay on site. The monorail and the boats are great also.

If expense is a major concern, I think you'd be better off staying off-site. Yes, onsite is neat but like you, I have a hard time justifying the expense when I know I could stay twice as long in nicer accomodations off-site. However, on-site is a nice spurlge now and again--we're planning to stay on-site for part of our next visit.

If you are going in the off-season, driving isn't much of an issue. Its never taken me longer than 10 minutes to get to WDW from our resort, and I know there are many that are even closer than where we stay.

You may be better off renting a vacation home, if you plan to be there for a week or more and plan to have a large party. I'm willing to bet that in January (as long as it isn't over New Years) you'll be able to find a nice place for the same rate or less than what you've got scheduled now.

Also check mousesavers.com for hotel discounts.

You'll have a great time no matter where you stay, if this is your first trip. :)

BK

A big point for me is the security. If my teenagers want to have a free afternoon without dad, they can go to whichever park they want. Things that I don't have to worry about:

- They have charging priviledges on their room cards - if they need something they can charge it.
- Transportation back to the resort - I don't have to worry about how they are going to get back.
- They are always on Disney property. Have you ever noticed that you can't go very far without seeing a CM if you are really looking?

Ok, they are my kids, so I will worry some. But the relief is well worth the extra dollars. Just my opinion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!