The pools look so SMALL

momto4girlz

Earning My Ears
I recently reserved a campsite at Fort Wilderness (Nov 2018) for what would be our first ever stay onsite. But after getting quotes on the cost of renting a camper, I'm having serious second thoughts. I. JUST. CAN'T. I keep thinking of what I could do with the money I would save if we stay off site. We try to go to Disney about once every 3 to 4 years. Our past few trips we've stayed at a condo in Windsor Hills.

For this trip I'm considering a pool home. I'm weighing pros and cons. Although having a private pool is definitely in the pro column, the pools in the pictures all look so small. I can't see a family of four actually doing any real swimming in them. My kids are nearly full grown--11 and 16. My 11 year old is tall for her age. Plus, if for some reason we schedule at a time when my college age kids could come--that would be two more adults. Are the pics deceiving me? Does anyone know what the typical dimensions of these pools are?

We had a home with a private pool on our last beach trip to Florida, and we all LOVED it. But I believe it was a good bit bigger than what I'm seeing in the listings for homes in Windsor Hills.

Could be the lot sizes in Windsor Hills are too small for big pools. Also, the community has a large pool, so no demand for a large pool at the house.

With all the homes for rent around Disney, I'm sure there's one out there with a big pool. Just have to hunt or perhaps someone can tip you off to one.

Yep. Thanks. First world problems.

It probably seems petty that I would worry about this, but it's really more that I want to make my vacation $$ count--not be wasteful. I don't want to waste money on an amenity that won't be usable.

Yep. Thanks. First world problems.

It probably seems petty that I would worry about this, but it's really more that I want to make my vacation $$ count--not be wasteful. I don't want to waste money on an amenity that won't be usable.

We had a pool home with a spa in Lake Berkley a few years back and it was great for hanging out in/around but it really isn't for "swimming" - it is really just a splash/cooling off pool. All the pool home communities have larger pools onsite (some more than one) and often other recreation amenities as well. We have Windsor at Westside booked for next May and there is a splash area and lazy river there as well as the community pool.

The townhomes at Windsor Hill only have splash pools but the bigger houses have bigger pools. We stayed in a TH but walked round and the pools looked big enough to swim in.

We stay at a pool home in WH several times per year and the pool size is fine for us. I don't know the exact dimensions but I would estimate the size to be around 22 feet by 10 feet wide. Not a pool meant for swimming laps but plenty of room for a large family to all be in together comfortably. I'm not sure what your expectations are for pool size but we have stayed in quite a few different communities and they're all about the same.

Depending on when you go, the pools at WDW resorts can get very crowded. It's possible that you could pay more to stay on property to have access to a large pool, but the portion of the pool that you can actually use with your family is smaller than the splash pools in these off site homes. Keep looking. I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for.

Thanks for the feedback! It is helpful. Good point about the crowds at resort pools. We would like to go in November. We will not stay onsite. My only onsite option was the campground, but the camper rental fees are more than I'm willing to pay. I think I'll call one of the home management companies and ask what the typical pool dimensions are. Then I can decide if I think it's something we would enjoy. Thanks again!

The community pool at Windsor Hills is very big if you don't mind sharing the pool with others. I doubt it would be very crowded in November.

If you want a private pool I would look elsewhere than WH. My neighbor rented a pool home in Solterra Resort and that pool was fairly big.

I would suggest using VRBO to look for homes with pools that are larger than what you see in Windsor Hills. I think that is wonderful that you are going to try to have all the kids stay if you can so I understand the need for a large pool. I am sure you will find something on VRBO. The link that "sympatico" put up looks like something that will work for you. I can see 10 people fitting in there comfortably with plenty of room to swim. Also, a 6bedroom/4bath home will easily accomodate your crowd. Good Luck!!! Sounds like you have an AWESOME vacation ahead !!!! :thumbsup2:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter