The Rain

deannaf87

DIS Veteran
Everyone in the park today, please let me know your experiences/tips/tricks regarding a rainy day. Our last day (December 5th) looks to be a rainy one and I know we won't want to sit out our last day.

Everyone in the park today, please let me know your experiences/tips/tricks regarding a rainy day. Our last day (December 5th) looks to be a rainy one and I know we won't want to sit out our last day.

Rain at DLR is awesome because it keeps the locals away. Don some rain boots and a poncho and enjoy the low crowds. Some of the outdoor rides may close if it starts to rain too hard, but the inside ones will be open.

We are not there today, but we had a rainy trip in February 2017. Our first and final days were quite rainy, with lots of rain on our last evening. We were at DCA, and pretty much every ride was still up and running. We put on our rain coats and had a great time! Disneyland is pretty good in the rain, too, since attractions are so close together.

You can use Ziploc bags to keep items inside your bags dry, which is probably my best tip. Also, bring rain boots, and plan to head back to the room mid-day to change if it's raining all day.

Rain can mean lower crowds, but can also mean closed attractions and cancelled shows, so plan accordingly!

I had boots and raincoat for our trip. Happy as a clam! Remember something to cover the stroller. The one day or rained on our trip in March we forgot the cover in the hotel!

Yup, good advice already given for rainy days!

Does anyone recommend a specific brand of rain boots that are good for lots of walking? I've never owned a pair, tbh.

Does anyone recommend a specific brand of rain boots that are good for lots of walking? I've never owned a pair, tbh.

As a distance runner, my feet are very high maintenance. My sister works in the fashion industry and gifted me with a pair of dav rain boots a few years ago. They are amazingly comfortable and warm. I highly recommend them for walking around and staying dry/toasty. :umbrella:

We were here yesterday with rain forecasted and it did rain! It was a big news story all week. They were showing flooding news stories on KTLA in the am... did it keep the locals away? Nope!

While it was a little better, there just aren’t any hard fast rules anymore. If AP’s aren’t blocked, they will come. I was SHOCKED!

My feet were dry in my lightweight water proof low hiking shoes

We were here yesterday with rain forecasted and it did rain! It was a big news story all week. They were showing flooding news stories on KTLA in the am... did it keep the locals away? Nope!

While it was a little better, there just aren’t any hard fast rules anymore. If AP’s aren’t blocked, they will come. I was SHOCKED!

My feet were dry in my lightweight water proof low hiking shoes
I’m on an AP Facebook group and everyone was posting saying they were going in the rain because it’s supposed to be lighter..so not sure if locals stay away anymore honestly.
I asked on another thread if the crowds had lightened and it sounded like it did some but not a lot.

As a distance runner, my feet are very high maintenance. My sister works in the fashion industry and gifted me with a pair of dav rain boots a few years ago. They are amazingly comfortable and warm. I highly recommend them for walking around and staying dry/toasty. :umbrella:

Thank you!!!

I don't think December 5 will be too bad, but I was there during Christmas break in the rain and it was fairly miserable. The rain did nothing at all to keep the crowds away, so we would walk around packed in shoulder to shoulder, with the added benefit of lots of umbrellas right at eye-gouging level.

If crowds were light or decent, rain shouldn't be a problem. But if it is super packed plus raining, no bueno.

I wear xtratuf women’s with the prints. But they’re kind of heavy. Debating bringing to the parks.

I also have a $20 pair from Nordstrom clearance. They have no support so I added insoles I already had. Super feet I think.

It rained and rained and rained on our trip January of 2017--so much that it was kind of miserable and I live in Astoria, OR! I love it when it's a little rainy. But if it is really coming down and water starts standing--be prepared that the park could close down early. BTMRR floods fairly easily. Several rides will shut down temporarily and if it keeps going, they may decide to close down. We found that even though the rain had stopped, once they had decided to close down, they didn't change their minds and keep it open. Also, rain boots are hard to find. My nephew didn't have any and DD's broke--we were able to use that Amazon Two-Hour thing to get one pair but Orange County was sold-out, so come prepared if you are expecting rain. Also, if you leave from the entrance on Katella (I think, across from BWPPI), that sidewalk floods deep and is not lit. Walk carefully! Good luck and I really hope that you don't experience what we did!

We've had many rainy trips in Florida. (Ponchos are a must!) Even some during tropical storms. Is heavy rain common in So. Cal in January? We will be there Jan. 19 - 23. I was hoping to avoid all the rain in DL since we always seem to have so much of it at WDW!

I felt like the rain does keep people/locals away, but only when it is raining! Thursday did rain pretty heavily in the morning, but then tapered off around mid-morning (10-ish) and the crowds went back to what I would expect on a Thursday (maybe a little lighter, but not walk-on attraction-level). The rain didn't really return until late evening (8-ish) and by then folks were either already at DL or not going to come.

I felt like the rain does keep people/locals away, but only when it is raining! Thursday did rain pretty heavily in the morning, but then tapered off around mid-morning (10-ish) and the crowds went back to what I would expect on a Thursday (maybe a little lighter, but not walk-on attraction-level). The rain didn't really return until late evening (8-ish) and by then folks were either already at DL or not going to come.
We were there for rope drop in the rain Thursday. I was really surprised at how many people were there for such a rainy day. We took time to snap a few photos on our way in, and by the time we got to Peter Pan, the wait time was already 30 minutes (and well out into the queue). Alice and the Teacups were closed, but Dumbo was open.

Rainy Castle by mom2rtk, on Flickr

I got in a little after the general park opening and felt like the crowds were lighter than on the preceding morning. I do think that being a Thursday, with DL having their EMH/MM that morning, contributed to the crowds. Security was pretty light, which was nice. It would have been interesting to see what DCA was like (I didn't think to go there until later in the morning).

I also wondered if there were a fair amount of non-locals visiting last week. It seemed like a fair number of guests indicated that they were not passholders when asked in the store and food lines, so I'm guessing there were a lot of "tourists" last week. If that was the case, it would make sense that there were still guests in the parks on the rainy morning because those guests have less flexibility about when to go and are probably more likely to brave the rain.

I got in a little after the general park opening and felt like the crowds were lighter than on the preceding morning. I do think that being a Thursday, with DL having their EMH/MM that morning, contributed to the crowds. Security was pretty light, which was nice. It would have been interesting to see what DCA was like (I didn't think to go there until later in the morning).

I also wondered if there were a fair amount of non-locals visiting last week. It seemed like a fair number of guests indicated that they were not passholders when asked in the store and food lines, so I'm guessing there were a lot of "tourists" last week. If that was the case, it would make sense that there were still guests in the parks on the rainy morning because those guests have less flexibility about when to go and are probably more likely to brave the rain.
I think that all makes sense. We would have no chance for do overs, so we were going in, come rain or shine. Also, I should have mentioned that my comments were in relation to rope drop for the 8 AM early open. We went through the turnstiles at 7:57 AM.

We were there for rope drop in the rain Thursday. I was really surprised at how many people were there for such a rainy day. We took time to snap a few photos on our way in, and by the time we got to Peter Pan, the wait time was already 30 minutes (and well out into the queue). Alice and the Teacups were closed, but Dumbo was open.

Rainy Castle by mom2rtk, on Flickr
Really cool photo!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter