The Rumor Tracking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's the best selling book, but does it draw a family to the parks? My personal view, and by no means is it representative of anything, but I don't see Lord of the Rings in the current cultural zeitgeist. Seems like a risky thing to invest in.

Forgot about the Amazon show though. If that's a hit, it could be a decent time to build a park land.

I had similar thoughts/questions but I think it will come down to execution. So I think I would compare it more to like Pandora than the Wizarding World ... if the land is amazing, people will come

I know it's the best selling book, but does it draw a family to the parks? My personal view, and by no means is it representative of anything, but I don't see Lord of the Rings in the current cultural zeitgeist. Seems like a risky thing to invest in.

Forgot about the Amazon show though. If that's a hit, it could be a decent time to build a park land.
I think you are underestimating the love millions have for the books.

You combine this with Nintendo and you have a pull on kids and their parents.

Yeah I think LoTR is still a massive IP and has millions of fans who are more rabid than SW in their fandom.

LOTR could be a very immersive land if done correctly, and I see it having more pull than Pandora. Though like Star Wars, I think you run into the issue of which particular region to focus on as there are many to choose from.

The films alone have gotten millions to travel to New Zealand. 6% of their tourism is credited completely to Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit (with them also playing a part for 13%). And that’s on the opposite side of the world from the main fan base. If they build a quality land it’ll do fine.

Now I’m not sure how I much I believe this source anyways. I really don’t see Universal announcing another major project so close to the opening of the new park. They don’t tend to move very quickly from one thing to the next. And they’ve been pretty bad about keeping secrets until the recent crackdown. If this had been signed 2 years ago, it likely would’ve slipped out from multiple places.

Last edited:
The films alone have gotten millions to travel to New Zealand. 6% of their tourism is credited completely to Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit (with them also playing a part for 13%). And that’s on the opposite side of the world from the main fan base. If they build a quality land it’ll do fine.

Now I’m not sure how I much I believe this source anyways. I really don’t see Universal announcing another major project so close to the opening of the new park. They don’t tend to move very quickly from one thing to the next. And they’ve been pretty bad about keeping secrets until the recent crackdown. If this had been signed 2 years ago, it likely would’ve slipped out from multiple places.

But if the Tolkien Estate does want to move into theme parks, Universal really is their only option since Disney was explicitly excluded from ever working on Tolkien’s works in his will.
Disney owned the movie rights LOTR at one point in the 1990's through Miramax.

LOTR could be a very immersive land if done correctly, and I see it having more pull than Pandora. Though like Star Wars, I think you run into the issue of which particular region to focus on as there are many to choose from.
Just as long as they don't choose a remote island outpost heretofore never talked about in any of the entire universe of books in the middle of the Sundering Seas during the never before explored Fifth Age where you can have your own LOTR adventure.

Just as long as they don't choose a remote island outpost heretofore never talked about in any of the entire universe of books in the middle of the Sundering Seas during the never before explored Fifth Age where you can have your own LOTR adventure.

Harsh (but fair 😂).

Honestly, I would think you would have to start in order, so begin a park based on the Hobbit and that adventure. My question would be, will it be based on the books, or the movies. While both are hugely popular, they are no where near identical.

First park would be the Journey of the Hobbit and the finding of the one ring. Then expansion would be a journey to destroy the ring. You could have all kinds of dark rides to show each major part of the battles and such.

Just me though...

Disney owned the movie rights LOTR at one point in the 1990's through Miramax.

Did Miramax ever actually hold the rights themselves? I know that they had negotiated with Zaentz to use them and also with United Artists for distribution.

Can’t find anything confirming my earlier claim now though, so that was probably a bunch of nonsense driven by Tolkien’s open disdain of Disney.

Did Miramax ever actually hold the rights themselves? I know that they had negotiated with Zaentz to use them and also with United Artists for distribution.

Can’t find anything confirming my earlier claim now though, so that was probably a bunch of nonsense driven by Tolkien’s open disdain of Disney.
Who knows what is exactly true in all of the Disney Tolkien stories. I am sure I read some where that Miramax actually owned the rights for a couple of years in the 90's and it stood out to me because I had heard the same thing about Tolkien's will. I wonder if Tolkien's will might have only applied to the first adaptation of his work and once the two animated movies were made if the restriction no longer applied.

Who knows what is exactly true in all of the Disney Tolkien stories. I am sure I read some where that Miramax actually owned the rights for a couple of years in the 90's and it stood out to me because I had heard the same thing about Tolkien's will. I wonder if Tolkien's will might have only applied to the first adaptation of his work and once the two animated movies were made if the restriction no longer applied.

The whole Tolkien Estate is such a fascinating rabbit hole to fall into. Things are all over the place.

Ultimately we aren’t even all that far off from his works falling into public domain, then it won’t matter anyway, 2024 or 2044 depending on country.

The whole Tolkien Estate is such a fascinating rabbit hole to fall into. Things are all over the place.

Ultimately we aren’t even all that far off from his works falling into public domain, then it won’t matter anyway, 2024 or 2044 depending on country.
The copyright on the visual depictions in the movies though will last for the better part of the next century. If you want it to look anything like what the movies look like, you'll need to still pay up.

The copyright on the visual depictions in the movies though will last for the better part of the next century. If you want it to look anything like what the movies look like, you'll need to still pay up.

Which is likely what Universal would want. But I was more saying for long term, the book rights won’t matter in 24 years. Making a land much easier for anybody to make.

Well the books sold over 150 million copies, which makes it the second highest confirmed selling novel. And has been very prevalent in pop culture since World War 2.

Plus Amazon is currently dumping a billion dollars into a tv show.

So pairing that with the success of the films, it shouldn’t really have an issue drawing people. I mean it’s managed to boost travel to New Zealand, enough travel to Orlando shouldn’t be as hard.
It would get me to go for the first time. Actually was there for a private event when most rides were closed. Did get to ride the Mummy.

I would LOVE to see something like Poy du Fou. implemented here in the states. Didn't know that existed. I've been to a couple of Renaissance festivals. Nothing like this though!

Having spent two days staying onsite and visiting Puy Du Fou this past Summer, I'd love for something focusing on America hllike that here in the states. Just know that Puy Du Fou parks are very nationalistic, the new one in Spain will be as well.

I was blown away with the WW1 trench reenactment attraction , well just about every show. Think a half dozen grand scale stunt shows.

Lord of the Rings. Hmm. I'd be very curious to see how much that would draw crowds. Last movie was 6 years ago I think.

But first they need to peak interest with a remake.

When they find Aragorn after searching for him the whole first episode to come and help, RJ will direct the 2nd and hand him his sword, and he tosses it saying this isn't going to go the way you think.

Its time for the Fellowship to end.

Last edited:
Alrighty Disney, I have a March trip coming up and need dates on Space220 and Mickey & Minnie's Runaway ride preferably today ok? Thanks!

...hey, a girl can dream right? :rotfl2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!