The Running Thread - 2018

A little bit of personal news. As runners we are aware of our HR, either because of a monitor we run with or from trips to the doctors office. Well my dad who used to run and still works out was at the gym yesterday. He takes his HR before and after workouts to monitor things. He took it before his workout and got a reading of a RHR of 150! He thought something was wrong with the machine and went work out because he said he feels fine. After the workout it would not register anything. He got a few people to try and they got normal results. He immediately called his Dr and ended up getting a EKG (I think) which showed it was indeed 150 but luckily nothing major bad was taking place, other of course than the high HR. He is going back today and if its still high after the medication he has been put on will be admitted to be "shocked" to get the HR to come down. For my dad we could use a little pixie dust and prayers that everything is ok. Thanks and I will update when I find out more.

Glad he checks his HR on his own & was able to spot something unusual. Hope he's ok.

Been busy with football and vacation at WDW. Wanted to check in and offer up a belated Roll Tide to my fellow rD Alabama fans.

Headed home tomorrow and hope to finally catch The Last Jedi this weekend. Next week - back to my running life.

Technology was really failing me tonight. I forgot my phone at home, I carry it in case of emergencies, and my Garmin battery was really low. It made it through the run, but I got home and popped it in the charger, and am having problems charging it. I looked at the charger, and the 4 little gold prongs that depress when you snap the Garmin into the charger, 2 of them are kind of stuck in the depressed position so they are probably not making great contact. Has anyone ever had that happen and know how to get them to pop back up? They are so tiny and there's not really any way to get underneath it to see if something is just stuck under there, and pressing on them and flicking at them with my fingernail isn't budging them. It must have heard me saying not long ago that my Garmin was getting long in the tooth! It's a 220, so it's a 4+ year old model, although I got mine almost 3 years ago.

I swear there are nights that everything that could go wrong with my technology does, and usually right before I head out. I REALIZE in my head that it doesn't matter if my run is recorded, and sometimes I run without music/talk; but somehow it can derail me. I'm shopping for a new Garmin bc mine is geriatric in tech years. I'd like to replace it before it goes for good. I was tempted by the Fenix when I got my Christmas bonus but didn't bite yet!! :)

ATTQOTD: I tried the FIRST plan. I wanted to like it, being only 3 days a week AND I'm a Furman alumnus. It is a recipe for disaster. Every workout is hard and the long run is 50+ percent of the weekly mileage. It might work for some, but not me. To be fair, I did not cross train as much as I was supposed to.

Wow! I grew up 3 miles from Furman and we used to ride our bikes over to campus and around the lake... This was before Hwy 25 became a highway. I've been in the Exercise Lab over there, too. Pretty cool.

So, I might be on the struggle bus for the Charleston half on Saturday, we will just see what happens. I've been having some achilles/calf/knee issues in my right leg since taking this time off, so I'm hoping it's nothing and I'll be able to run it off.

Have fun in Charleston; it's such a great town. Enjoy those shrimp and grits after the race. Hope it goes well for you.

I'm shopping for a new Garmin bc mine is geriatric in tech years. I'd like to replace it before it goes for good. I was tempted by the Fenix when I got my Christmas bonus but didn't bite yet!! :)
They just announced a new Garmin 645, with and without music models. I think I'd probably rather have the without music model, it's $50 cheaper and all my music is Apple Music, which Garmin is not going to support. Plus it's not like I'm going to run without my phone for safety reasons, and I tend to listen to podcasts anyways when I listen to something. It looks really nice though!

QOTD: Lets discuss training plans today. Specifically, how do you pick out which training plan to follow at any given time? Do you use one from a book, coach, or make your own? If you make your own, do you do research into other plans and use their ideas to develop yours?

Still "just" a walker, so I've used Higdon, since he's got walker-specific plans. Not that I've been that great at sticking to it consistently...Looking forward to getting back into it though, if my ankle can just get better.

Thinking happy thoughts for your father.

They just announced a new Garmin 645, with and without music models. I think I'd probably rather have the without music model, it's $50 cheaper and all my music is Apple Music, which Garmin is not going to support. Plus it's not like I'm going to run without my phone for safety reasons, and I tend to listen to podcasts anyways when I listen to something. It looks really nice though!
I've been considering the Garmin 35. I think it is one of the more basic models, but it does have heart rate monitor in the wrist band I believe. Has anyone used it?

Last edited:
@Baloo in MI have you done dxa2 previously? I have been debating the associated 10 or the AA marathon 10K 2 weeks earlier, but I don't think my husband would green light both. As a non-runner I have a love-hate with the AA marathon (my house is not on route, but close enough to be on the map, and on the other side of the course was our OB, and there was an emergency appointment that I didn't make causing much stress and anger at the race), but it is close enough to walk to so I feel like I should make amends with the race. but dxa2 looks like a prettier route. I also realize I could just run either route by myself on another day, but likely will not.

Fun Friday QOTD: What do you think is the worse attraction / show that is currently open at WDW?

ATTQOTD: I know this attraction has a big following, but I really dislike it... Figment! I'll throw in a honorable mention to Country Bear Jamboree.

Fun Friday QOTD: What do you think is the worse attraction / show that is currently open at WDW?

ATTQOTD: I know this attraction has a big following, but I really dislike it... Figment! I'll throw in a honorable mention to Country Bear Jamboree.

ATTQOTD: I’m right there with you on Figment. I really enjoyed the original, but totally dislike the current version. My daughter still likes it, so we were going to do it last week while there for marathon weekend. Usually we slip it in between fast passes. Well, when we were nearby it had a 40 minute wait. No Way. I would absolutely not stand in that long of a line for that ride. What did we do instead to fill the time? Shop in MouseGear. Totally worth the money spent!

Stitch although its currently closed since it is only seasonal. I'd like to see Monsters Inc Laugh Floor change or leave. Its nice once or twice but the show hasn't changed ever and the jokes don't change so it gets boring pretty quickly.

I am not a fan of It's Tough to be a Bug... the 3D effects are not quite right to me so it gives me a bit of a headache or just throws me off for a bit. Plus I am not a fan of being poked in the rear end by "bugs", but I had learned when that happened so I hover during those parts! The last few trips I have gladly skipped it, and before that it was a time filler at AK for the family but definitely skipped if needed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!