The Running Thread - 2018

Races I am registered for in 2018:

2/24 Enchanted 10K (Glass Slipper Challenge)

2/25 Princess Half Marathon (Glass Slipper Challenge)

4/28 Cap City Half Marathon, Columbus OH

ATTQOTD: I have never really fully tapered but I can see how a taper would be a great way to recover before a race. I will let you know when I get towards the end of my first @DopeyBadger plan in February, haha.

@LSUlakes can you add a few races for me, please?
January:
13 - @jennamfeo - Rock N Roll AZ 5k (35:51 / N/A)
14 - @jennamfeo - Rock N Roll AZ Half Marathon (2:26:31 / N/A)

February:
24 - @jennamfeo - Red Rock Canyon Half Marathon (2:11:12 / N/A)

@LSUlakes, thank you for the new thread and all you do.

Scratch me from the 5K/10K/Dopey. Still in for the half/full/Goofy. I'll be running the half with my bro and the full with my nephew. He has marathon bib < 450, but this is his first marathon. I'm hoping to slow him down to a reasonable pace, so he doesn't crash and burn.

I'm a little bummed at missing the Dopey, but some of the things I've learned over the past month are go with your gut feel and things that seem bad in the short-term turn out to be good and vice-versa. Dopey didn't feel right, but Goofy does.

ATTQOTD: while I do get a little fragile, I enjoy the taper. I don't get crazy or feel that I have tons of energy to burn off. I enjoy the reduced mileage and the feeling of little aches and pains going away one by one.

Just finished catching up on the last of the 2017 thread. Happy New Year, everyone!

My mom passed away this afternoon. Just 2 weeks ago she was living independently and still driving.

I am so sorry, and am keeping you all in my thoughts.

QOTD: 2017 is coming to a end and tomorrow is our fun Friday question. That makes todays question our last "serious" QOTD of the year. What are your goals for 2018?

- Run 1,000 miles
- PR the Cleveland half (bonus goal: finish +/- 5 min from the goal time @DopeyBadger sets for me)
- Sub-30 5k race
- Get a real running watch and leverage the data it provides
- Be smarter about recovery/crosstraining (yoga, foam rolling, swimming, etc.)

2017 was a good running year for me, although December was awful (I only ran about 41 miles in December - too much travel). I ran my first 10k and my first half, PRd 5k and 10k races (and the half, since the n is only 1). I ran fun races with my family, I ran hard races for time, and I ran training runs because I really wanted to and not because I was forcing myself to. I bought a treadmill. I started a running journal. I came to love speed workouts (even though I am not fast). With Coach DB's guidance and the support of many of you here, I became a more consistent, more confident, and more passionate runner, and I am looking forward to seeing where I can go from here.

Yay 2018!
Attqotd: love the taper. I'd go crazy whether I was running hard or easy so might as well run easy and recover.

Not sure how far in the future we should be listing these. But here's my registered for races so far.

March
25 - roxymama - Shamrock Shuffle 8k (44:19/NA)

April
22 - roxymama - Naperville Women's Half Marathon (2:15:00/NA)

October
7 - roxymama - Chicago Marathon (Finish/NA)

ATTQOTD: I like the reduced mileage/rest, but I do experience a bit of taper madness. Also not liking the taper over the holidays, with my lack of self control and all. o_O

@LSUlakes I have a race to add:

February 3 - michigandergirl - Groundhog half marathon - NG

Thanks!

ATTQOTD: I don't think I've ever been trained enough to truly taper. I tended to hurt my ankle prior to the half so I had modified plans.

Races:

Feb 22nd - Enchanted 10K
April 21st - Dark Side 10k.

10:1 odds this changes to something other than Finish by the time the race rolls around. I know you'll have a time goal even if you won't publicly admit it. :)

Haha, you are probably right. I think I'm going to have some kind of "how far into the race can I get before Mike and Billy finish" challenge for myself. Though they are probably going to cheat and have a head start from their "fast dudes" corral.
(That HM # is a little inflated since I have secrets in my head still about that one too.)

Though is there a Chicago equivalent of stopping to ride TOT? Stop to ride the Hancock building elevator?

It threw me for a loop when I saw this thread and wondered why it was only 2 pages long. Then I realized it was 2018. I will be making 8s out of 7s for at least 3 months.

Right now, the only thing I have confirmed (as in $$$ spent):

April
16 - Wendy98 - Boston Marathon (goal-tbd)

I am not much of a taperer. I cut back on mileage 2 weeks before a marathon, but still keep the effort the same. My HM pr was the day after I did slow 16 mile run with a running group. I do try to stay off my feet as much as I can the day before a marathon.

My 2018 race plan is Star Wars - The Dark Side 5K and First Order Challenge. While I'd love to run this under 3 hours, the allure of Star Wars characters and photo ops may mean that I could have run it under 3 hours, but chose to enjoy the race atmosphere instead.

QOTD: With marathon weekend just around the corner now, do you like or dislike the taper before a marathon or half marathon? Why?

ATTQOTD: I have always enjoyed the reduced mileage and knowing the big race was soon.
Truth be told, the first time I tapered was before last year's Star Wars The Light Side. In all previous races, I trained at normal training pace during those final runs after the longest training session since I didn't want to lose my speed. So while I have only had 2 real tapers, I find that I enjoy the relaxed nature of tapering. It's nice to not feel the pressure of needing to maintain training pace.

@LSUlakes, thank you for the new thread and all you do.

Scratch me from the 5K/10K/Dopey. Still in for the half/full/Goofy. I'll be running the half with my bro and the full with my nephew. He has marathon bib < 450, but this is his first marathon. I'm hoping to slow him down to a reasonable pace, so he doesn't crash and burn.

I'm a little bummed at missing the Dopey, but some of the things I've learned over the past month are go with your gut feel and things that seem bad in the short-term turn out to be good and vice-versa. Dopey didn't feel right, but Goofy does.
Sometimes that's the hardest decision to make. Good luck with Goofy.

Love the taper, especially this time of the year. It is cold and my body needs a break after a long year of running.

That said, I am looking forward to getting going again this weekend.

QOTD: With marathon weekend just around the corner now, do you like or dislike the taper before a marathon or half marathon? Why?

I usually like the taper for a full. Halves I don't really train or taper for any longer. I just make sure I have enough miles to cover the distance and maybe hold off on anything longer than 8 for a few days before.

My first run of 2018 will definitely be on the treadmill. It was -6 when I left my house this morning and e are getting more snow this week. I see a lot of treadmill running in my future.

I never did share the running related gift that I got this year for Christmas...a Mighty audio player. It is basically an iPod Shuffle that you play your Spotify on. I love my little old iPod Shuffle, but it certainly has some shortcomings, such as no Bluetooth capability. The Mighty has Bluetooth and the all-important clip on the back so you can just stick it on your waistband and go. So far it is working well for me and as stupid as it may sound, having new music on my run has made running more enjoyable and makes me actually want to get out the door...even on these -25°C days! This picture isn't me, but it may as well be it's so cold here :cold:

39425763242_9d67633d3a_n.jpg

ATTQOTD: Loving the marathon taper currently!! Mostly enjoying the bit of extra time to get some things done around the house before the trip!

@LSUlakes thank you for all the work you do to manage this thread!!

Happy 2018 to our group!

YAYYYY new thread! Thanks @LSUlakes for starting this, I'll add more races in the coming days. @jennamfeo, can you please add NC for me? I crossed that one off this weekend!

ATTQOTD: I love, love, love the taper! More rest and more catching up on junk TV that I have missed while clocking all those miles.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter