The Running Thread - 2018

Trying to catch up after two weeks off! :faint:

QOTD: At what point do you decide that a running shirt or shorts are no longer worthy of wearing for a run?
When the elastic goes or something crucial - like a seam - breaks and can't be fixed in a way that's comfortable.

QOTD: Do you wear your running shoes for anything other than running while they are still in your rotation as running shoes or your only pair?
Nope, never. Mostly because I need stability shoes for running, but neutral for non-running, so I have separate shoes for each purpose.

Thank you everyone. I'm glad I have this community. :grouphug:
(((HUGS))) Thinking of you, @roxymama

QOTD: We have about a week to go to register for marathon weekend. Are you running any of the races? If so, which ones? Have you decided you are running but not sure which races yet? Anyone going to make a impulse decision?
10K and full for sure, plus 5K if I can swing it before it sells out.

Previous discussions have touched on retiring shoes based on miles, tread or just knowing it is time. However, it seemed that people who are diehard fans of a specific shoe style typically get approximately the same amount of wear/miles before retiring a pair. Have you ever had a pair that needs to be retired sooner than you normally would have? Does this happen more frequently the longer you run, or is it typically a one off? Also, do you typically find that shoes are fine one day and the next you know they have to be retired?
I have a hard time with mileage on running shoes: nearly none are made with a forefoot strike in mind, so I wear out the forefoot outsole WAY faster than any other part of the shoe. And living in FL, where I often run on wet pavement, I need that forefoot grip to be secure. So it's rare that I get more than 250 out of any shoe, but I've had some go as soon as 150. I'm actually closing in on 250 with my first pair of NB Vongo v2s and the outsole still looks and feels good - they just may break 300, though I can feel the midsole starting to get mushy. And yep, I can wear a shoe one day and be fine, and know the next time I wear them it's time to go.

QOTD: Lets discuss chafing today! Everyone's favorite conversation that we have all experienced at least once, but rarely discuss... except maybe here or with a runner friend. So tell us your stories, what works and what doesnt, how to treat existing areas when attempts to prevent failed, ect!

ATTQOTD: Body Glide FTW!!! This is one of those products I have never heard of until I started running. Well maybe not until I had my first experience! If you did not know you had some chafing after a run, the shower will let you know if there was any doubt! The most desperate I have ever been was while running a marathon in a singlet I started to have chaffing in my armpit / triceps area and it was killing me. In a time of desperation and at least 8 miles to go I opted for the stick with Vaseline to solve the problem. While this worked well, it also created some problems. Specifically, my singlet was more or less ruined because of using it, and I used my hands to rub it on. Opening a GU with those hands was a challenge that kept me occupied for a good half mile lol. The good news is I was able to run the remainder of that race without that burning!!! Currently I have chafing, not from running but from touring the parks eekkk! Body Glide and time will take care of that. So theres my interesting stories lol.

ATTQOTD: I use 2 Toms SportShield Roll-On to avoid inner thigh chafing when wearing skirts with short shorts - works perfectly! The only time I've actually chafed was just last week, NOT running: I wore my old, super soft, UA running tee while driving for 12 hours and somehow managed to chafe under my arms. Apparently the motion of steering at 70mph is more chafey than arm swings while running?! o_O

ATTQOTD: Um, I dont really deal with chafing issues...
Although the one time I wore a running skirt without something underneath, it wasnt comfortable, but didnt quite get to the point of chafing. Those built-in shorts were not very comfortable.

Ugh, chafing. I use body glide and it's generally enough. My worse experience was once where my sports bra caused pretty bad chafing on my back. I practically screamed in the shower. My husband had to help me out of the bra and said that there was a pretty deep abrasion. I think I might still have the mark on my back from that. So I started using body glide under the bra strap after that for double digit runs. When I got to super long runs for marathon training, I actually had to put KT Tape under the bra band to prevent chafing. I also started to have chafing on the inside of my upper arms unless I was wearing a long sleeved shirt. So I started using body glide there as well.

ATTQOTD: I use 2 Toms SportShield Roll-On to avoid inner thigh chafing when wearing skirts with short shorts - works perfectly! The only time I've actually chafed was just last week, NOT running: I wore my old, super soft, UA running tee while driving for 12 hours and somehow managed to chafe under my arms. Apparently the motion of steering at 70mph is more chafey than arm swings while running?! o_O
I use that stuff for my toes! Body glide doesn’t help my toes, but this stuff does!

ATTQOTD: Body glide. I only get chafing in the sport bra area, so that's where i use it. But my bra tried to kill me this weekend at the Reaper. I have ugly red marks where the straps were and underneath. :scared:

QOTD: Lets discuss chafing today! Everyone's favorite conversation that we have all experienced at least once, but rarely discuss... except maybe here or with a runner friend. So tell us your stories, what works and what doesnt, how to treat existing areas when attempts to prevent failed, ect!

Body Glide and TriSlide both work very well to prevent chafing on feet and legs. Band-aids and KT tape are good choices to prevent bloody nipples.

Body Glide has always worked well for me. I use it on all runs longer than 6 miles.

ATTQOD: Funny you should ask! I've come to realize the runDisney shirts are tougher on the ol' nipples than my other shirts. Well, I headed out for my run this morning and forgot protection. About 3 miles in (of a 7 miler) I realized my mistake and ran back in to correct the oversight. (sensitive skin transpore tape and a 3/4" hole punch) Otherwise I'll use body glide in areas that might have potential issues, but I pretty much only need that for races and long runs. I cut out the shorts liners and use boxer briefs, which limits my need for glide. (Guys, check out Saxx underwear.)

ATTQOTD - Compression shorts solved my problem. About 20 years ago I tried my first pair of compression shorts and it made running long so much more enjoyable. I have, over the years, tried many other things (like Body Glide) and they just don't work for me. I also have issues with my nipples on long runs in the heat, which I solve with Vaseline. The salt from my sweat gradually builds up in the fabric of my shirt and acts like sandpaper. :scared:

ATTQOTD:

I do not chafe in any meaningful way in runs under 5 miles. I can, however, gauge the effect that a new shirt, shorts, socks, shoes, etc. will have over a longer distance within that window. If I can feel something coming on in a training run of that distance, it gets removed from the lineup (or specialized for shorter runs). From there, as long as I follow “nothing new on race day,” I’m good.

Finally caught up with over 65+ pages to go through :scared1:. I have really enjoyed the food debates -

BBQ - I don't like it or fried chicken. I know, I'm weird.

I am a beer snob - especially after speaking over two weeks drinking quality Irish brews.

I would also say I am a whiskey snob thanks to my husband who has gotten me into it. We are also wine snobs, but will drink whats available if need be.

And I will definitely claim to be the ultimate tea snob. I only drink tea - no coffee and had to have room in my carry on so we could pick up my favorite tea at Heathrow.

Always Coke - never pepsi

Pizza - we don't eat this out much as I make good pizza at home. Can't beat the pizza in the North End and for good take out we will do Portland Pie when in Maine.

Now to stay caught up

First unless it gets into the 30's I don't wear a shirt so that helps with some of it. I use Body Glide and Aquaphor when needed, especially between the toes on a long run.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter