The Running Thread - 2018

I had a lot of time to think about this list on my 10-miler today in the rain. :)

I was realizing that I found out about it just before our annual big hiking trip - next weekend my DH and I leave for Glacier National Park. So of course, that means I can run while I'm there and put Montana on my list.

An additional adventure for this trip is that we are flying from Maryland to Chicago, and then we are taking the scenic Amtrak train from Chicago to Glacier. (Woot!) That means that I could potentially run in the Chicago airport or train station - we have a 4-hour layover - and put Illinois on my list, AND if I run on the train, I could knock off Minnesota and North Dakota, too! (I already have Wisconsin.) I see no problem trying to do this, but I suspect that my husband and/or the train conductors might find a problem with it. :)

And now I've been pondering what the GPS track of someone running up and down the corridors of a moving train would look like. The Wikipedia website for the Empire Builder train says that the average speed is 50 mph, so my running at about 5 mph would be a 10% variation on that. But it would probably register on Garmin as my fastest run ever! Too bad I really couldn't run perpendicular to the train's direction and make a sine curve with the GPS track!

I doubt I'll actually do the train running, but as I said, it was amusing to think about during my long run today. :) Can anyone suggest a good place to run in Chicago Midway?
That is a fantastic train ride. The husband and I did it last November over Thanksgiving. Depending on how fast your mile pace is and how early the train is running, there are a few stops where they will be in station for a smoke break type situation and you could run up and down the platform.

We have one long train ride left (Chicago to LA) and it's on the calendar for the weekend after the marathon.

Upon further review ... my current definitive Power Ranking of Bars/Lounges:

1. Hurricane Hannah's
2. Nomad Lounge
3. Trader Sam's
4. California Grill Lounge
5. Abracadabar
6. Dawa Bar
7. Ale & Compass Lounge
8. Top of the World
9. Tambu Lounge
10. La Cava de Tequila
11. BaseLine Taphouse
12. Brown Derby Lounge
13. Martha's Vineyard
14. Belle Vue Lounge
15. Jock Lindsay's Hangar Bar
16. Dockside Margaritas
17. Mizner's
18. Outer Rim
19. Victoria Falls
20. Rose & Crown Pub
21. Boathouse
22. Tune-In Lounge
23. bluezoo Lounge
24. The Wave Lounge
25. Leaping Horse Libations
26. Geyser Point
27. Paddlefish Rooftop
28. The Edison
29. Enzo's Hideaway
30. Stargazer's
31. Capa
32. Crew's Cup Lounge
33. Kimono's
34. Citrico's Lounge
35. Territory Lounge
36-Last Place: Various Bars at Mods and Values
Last Place: Wine Bar George

This list just confirms my thinking that you are buying your house in the perfect city!

@LSUlakes if we are adding Castaway Cay races...can you add me for July 24? I get that it isn't an official race, but it is one of the reasons I got back to running in the first place. Taking our first cruise leaving today!
Have a great time! You're going to probably want to book a placeholder cruise while you're on board. :)

QOTD: It's HOT!!!!! Spent most of the weekend trying to stay hydrated from doing yard work. Had headaches, cramps, felt like trash, and it impacted my run on Saturday. Who is looking forward to much cooler weather? When does is typically start cooling down where you live?

ATTQOTD: I am ready for a polar vortex! Unfortunately we will not experience cooler weather until mid - late October. It seems forever away!

ATTQOTD: not sure I'm looking forward to the cold weather. I don't get much running done outside once it gets icy. Around where I am that can be anywhere from October to May. And in that time it could also be 90. Ohio weather is weird.

QOTD: It's HOT!!!!! Spent most of the weekend trying to stay hydrated from doing yard work. Had headaches, cramps, felt like trash, and it impacted my run on Saturday. Who is looking forward to much cooler weather? When does is typically start cooling down where you live?
ATTQOTD: We have a bit of a cooler front now, and I was elated to run 5 miles at dawn when it was only 70* on Friday. I wanted to just keep going a bit longer as I was excited that it was cool and not so humid and no threat of thunderstorms, but alas I had to get the kids and myself ready for daycare/camp. I need to realize I cannot drag myself out of bed on a Monday morning so I am thrilled it is going to be less than 80* for a run at lunch today! There was a twinge of guilt for not going out to run this morning as I drove to work with the windows down- I do really love running when the birds are cheering me on. I thought I would not be running at lunch again until September, I think I may never adapt to temps much above that!

ATTQOTD: It doesn't really cool off here until mid October either. Right now I am looking forward to cooler than normal temps next week! The real feel is only supposed to be in the 90's so I may get some runs in outside!

ATTQOTD: ‍♀️

I hate the heat. Been waking up at 5:30 to get my runs done so it’s been manageable but dreaming of days when it will be cooler. Unfortunately it’s probaly not going to be till October.

QOTD: Who is looking forward to much cooler weather? When does is typically start cooling down where you live?
Not me! I still need to work on my tan! (I know...not run related) :) It usually cools down end of September / beginning of October but I will continue to wear my flip flops until the end of October.

ATTQOTD: I am not looking forward to cooler temps. That is mainly because summer really is only 10 weeks here weather wise and I need to soak up all the sun that I can. Depending on the year it will cool down either late September or early October. I'll wear flip flops until it starts to frost or snow - usually Thanksgiving.

ATTQOTD: Central FL is awful right now. The humidity is just nasty even at 5am and 7pm. I’ve been using the treadmill a lot this month. Cooler temps should start getting here around October. I don’t mind it too much though. A miserable July and August is much better than the 6 months of bitter cold temps, snow, ice, slush, mud, gray skies and brown landscapes I used to have in Massachusetts.

ATTQOTD: It will actually be unseasonably cool here this week, but unfortunately my allergies are in FULL force, so when I spend time outside, I really pay for it.
It should start to cool down here in later September, but we have such weird weather, it's hard to say for certain.

ATTQOTD: It's hot and humid in Central Virginia as well but the last week has been tolerable compared to June and early July. It typically stays hot here through September and sometimes October but the humidity starts decreasing at end of August.

Looking forward to cooler temps and running in daylight instead of early morning runs or treadmilling.

ATTQOTD: Duuuuude. I am so with you. My long run went like this:
Alarm at 5am - forecast called for storms all morning, so went back to sleep
6am couldn't sleep, so checked again - looked like a small window to get some miles in
Got 15-20 minutes of light rain, then BLAZING SUN and no sign of the storms at all!
I started late, didn't use sunscreen due to the forecast, and realized when I refilled my bottle that I forgot Nuun.
Feels Like was 89* at sunrise and 97* by the time I called the audible after 6 miles and went home to do another 2 on the treadmill. Felt like crud all weekend. 100% over it.

But... cooler weather won't come here until late Oct. - if I'm lucky. Ugh.

A miserable July and August is much better than the 6 months of bitter cold temps, snow, ice, slush, mud, gray skies and brown landscapes I used to have in Massachusetts.
Preach! :thumbsup2 I was visiting in WNY a couple weeks ago and it was absolutely perfect: warm days, cool nights, the kind of weather we dream of here in FL, right? I had to keep reminding myself that I was seeing WNY at its best and the rest of the year was abject misery when I lived there, lol!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!