The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD:
If it is just one run I have missed then I will shuffle my schedule. I try to keep my training plans flexible because crap happens.
I have had to take an entire week off because I was found to have a abnormal EKG at my annual physical and now need to get cleared by cardiologist today to resume training.

QOTD: If you have to miss a run for whatever reason, what do you do? Do you move everything back a day, make it up on a rest day, run a double, or just move forward with your plan?

If I'm in the middle of a plan and it is the long run or a workout (track, hills, strides) I will reschedule. Just a normal run I skip and move on.

ATTQOYesterday:

I haven't fallen during a run...yet. It's probably inevitable. This is why I'm not a trail runner, though; I've always been very shy of going down steep hills where I don't have great traction, and there's a psychological barrier between me and going up or down a trail at any significant speed. I took a few spills off my bicycle back when that was my primary form of transportation, because that's just going to happen now and then--the worst was actually when the bike was stationary and I caught my leg on the rear wheel while trying to dismount. It took weeks to heal the skin on the hand I used to catch myself, and I was lucky that the bike coming down on my legs in that awkward position only resulted in a few scrapes. Also, it was the first day of grad school and I had to show up to my first class late, hand wrapped in paper towels from the bathroom.

I took a parkour course a few years ago mostly to learn how to tuck and roll (I have neither the physical fitness nor the bravery/foolhardiness needed for parkour). It's not bad once you learn it, but I'm so out of practice that I probably wouldn't think to do it if I was out running and fell (maybe that's something to work on again if I can find a floor space big enough to practice). The trick is to start by learning to launch yourself into a roll from a kneeling position; once you know that basic movement it's not so bad to translate it into a drop-and-roll from standing or near-standing. The other trick is to roll diagonally from one shoulder to the opposite hip to prevent stress on your neck; the way I was taught to think about it is that you're attempting to throw your head into the armpit opposite the shoulder you want to impact the ground.

ATTQOTD:

Honestly, at this point in my training if I miss it, I miss it and I move on. I haven't run for at least two weeks now, but this morning I finally got back out there and took an easy run. I'll dial back the distance on Saturday to gauge how much I've lost, if anything, then start ramping back up. On weeks when I know my schedule is going to forbid a run I try to work around it, but I've come to realize that there are limits and it's not worth driving myself insane or shorting myself on sleep to force it to work. There's always next week. I'm more inclined to just push the schedule back a week so I still keep the same progression without skipping over a distance goal.

QOTD: If you have to miss a run for whatever reason, what do you do? Do you move everything back a day, make it up on a rest day, run a double, or just move forward with your plan?
I try to move the runs back a day. I hate skipping runs and have only missed one so far this summer. I'm sure, sadly, that will change when work really starts up again.

ATTQOTD: I have not been following a training plan but I do have running goals I want to accomplish each week like the number of times I get out, the number of easy runs, tempo runs, long run, rest days, distance goals, etc. If I need to adjust what I do on which day, I just do that. Starting next month, I plan to attempt to more closely follow a plan in order to prepare for Goofy in January. But I still plan to be flexible with what I do on which days because I know things will come up that I will need to work around.

ATTQOTD: It depends on circumstances. If I have to miss a run next to an off day, I will generally just switch the off day and the run day, trying to be aware of not doing SOS runs back-to-back. I've done doubles (really 2 halfs), to get a day's run in, but not to make up a missed day.

Stuff happens and a missed day is a missed day. I differentiate between 'work/life made me miss a day' and 'I was too lazy to run'. The former happens; the latter is a fail on my part. Either way, I feel that 'making it up' is a bad thing.

ATTQOTD - Unless it is a long run, I move on with my plan as if I ran. For missed long runs I might have to adjust future long runs, but I don't try to make them up. I skip runs all the time. The older I get, the more important it is for me to listen to my body. A skipped run for the right reasons improves your chances of success.

Yes.
I vomited after 2 miles on Sunday, the first time ever on a run. Rather than blame it on eating something before going out in the humidity, I fully place blame on the topic being discussed recently in this thread.
So I fully expect to take a tumble in the next week.
Maybe a future QOTD then should be “have you ever PRed a race you didn’t expect to” or “did you ever wake up one morning suddenly 10 pounds lighter” or “have you ever been approached to be sponsored by a major sportswear company”.

I had to miss a key long run a few weeks back. After consulting with @DopeyBadger we decided to push the long run to the next day, which was normally a rest day. We then eliminated the easy day that normally follows my rest day, upped the mileage a bit on the next running day and then got back on track.

If I had to miss an easy day, I would probably just skip it, especially if it was the day before a long/hard workout. If I had to skip another long/hard workout I would adjust the schedule as needed to get those key workouts in and do my best to backfill around it...

If I miss a run, I completely start over at the beginning of the training plan regardless of how far along I am. Yes, of course I'm kidding.

Actually, I look forward the next week or so, and if I can reschedule without causing a different issue (too many days in a row, two SOS workouts back-to-back, etc), then I will reschedule. Otherwise, one day isn't a big deal, so I let it go.

Last edited:

I normally will skip it and pick up the next day unless it's an important long run or I can find a way to make a brick out of it. Any one individual workout from the dozens or hundreds which make up a training cycle is not usually critical in the grand scheme of things.

ATTQOTD: depends on a few things. If my schedule changes, I’ll rearrange to get as many miles in for the week. If I’m sick, I just write off that time because getting better is more important than trying to fit the miles in. I won’t let myself take off time when I’m just not feeling it though.

ATTQOTD:
I've had plans where I get every last run in and other times life circumstance have other ideas for me. I try to not shift it to where I'm running a hard run and then run three consecutive days after. Or shift a run right after a double digit long run, etc. Allow the legs to rest, not kill myself. So I try to be aware of how shifting will affect all the other runs. It was far easier to shift on a 3 day or 4 day plan and much harder on a 5 day plan. Which is why I'm trying hard to just stick to it.

ATTQOTD: This training plan has been so incredibly hard for me to stick to. Sometimes life happens and I can't get out there. Sometimes alcohol happens and I can't get out there. So what do I do? I get let my anxiety and guilt eat at me for a day or two and try to figure out if I can reschedule them, I feel like a failure, I let every negative thing get into my head that I can, and I usually don't find time to re-schedule it. So then I also don't tell Coach about it and just carry on my training. So far I feel like I have missed quite a few important runs but there isn't anything I can do about it now. I might see about next training plan not having my long runs scheduled for Sunday when I am most likely to have partied too hard the night before, and maybe that would help me out a bit. But I have 26 days until my "A" Goal race and that is 19 more workouts before race day. Fingers crossed I don't fudge it up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter