The Running Thread - 2018

Love the podcast talk! I got some great suggestions from this thread previously. Thought I’d add Lore, especially around Halloween. The early episodes were kind of like origin stories for werewolf tales, ghost stories, witch folklore, etc. Simetimes I’d be running in the woods while he’s talking about man eating wolves and just the wind blowing through leaves makes me jump out of my shoes!
I also didn’t see anybody mention Marathon Training Academy which is often interesting.

I live... barely. I ran a 10 mile race on saturday hoping it would be proof of time, but didn't do the training I should have. All things considered I gto surprisingly close.. and I finished so I'm proud. Plus it is a jumpstart to get back to where I need to be.

ATTQOTD: music for races, otherwise podcasts now. I'm a giant nerd so Full of Sith, Lattes with Leia and Not Real Runners. If doing a shorter run, might listen to Fauxthentic History.

ATTQOTD: I can't imagine running without music! I'm going to try to arrange some songs in my playlists like some have suggested, and I'm definitely going to search for some bpm playlists that others have already put together.

Podcasts or nothing seem to win out - would y'all share some of your favorite podcasts?

I like true crime podcasts - maybe not ideal for running outside, by yourself, in the dark...

A few that I like: Serial, Accused, In the Dark. I thought Up and Vanished was pretty good (although I didn’t finish it). It was pretty well produced. Undisclosed season 1 is the same story as Serial season 1, but on a more biased note. It was pretty good after you got through the first episode or two. It was their first podcast, and I almost didn’t get past episode 1, but it gets better.

Other podcasts that I have listened to: Freakonomics, Limetown (fiction story/kind of like War if the Worlds), The Mickey Miles and More Podcast.

So I love true crime podcasts. Listen to Serial, Up and Vanished (currently on season 2), Untold - the Daniel Morgan Story, Dead Man Talking, Beyond a Reasonable Doubt, and Bear Brook.

I am also really into History podcasts. I do not list to podcasts when running outside as I get too freaked out. Only when on the treadmill and for my morning commute.
I'm another fan of true crime podcasts. My two favorites are Criminology (especially Season 1 - Zodiac and Season 2 - The Golden State Killer...I can't get enough of GSK!) and My Favorite Murder (Karen and Georgia make me laugh so hard I sometimes get jelly legs and totally break stride!)

ATTQOTD: I can't imagine running without music! I'm going to try to arrange some songs in my playlists like some have suggested, and I'm definitely going to search for some bpm playlists that others have already put together.

Podcasts or nothing seem to win out - would y'all share some of your favorite podcasts?

Disunplugged-all versions
Connecting with Walt
Marathon Training Academy
I recently discovered the Pete and Sebastian Show -for anyone that is a fan for Sebastian Maniscalco

I want to say congrats to everyone who raced over the weekend! Great results everyone!!!!!

Just "ran" with the jogging stroller for the first time to do the Strava/Lululemon challenge. Wow, running with strollers is no joke. The baby surprisingly did fine for 5 miles. I, on the other hand, was huffing and puffing.

As someone who has pushed a single for a while, I feel your pain. While the single makes life difficult, the double stroller is a whole new kind of hell. Makes the single a fun run lol.

OT (since I'm not out running today with a minor, recurring quad strain) So @LSUlakes ......happy about the Georgia game? ;)

I went to the game, which was my first of the season and had a very good time! Just hoping we do not overlook State this weekend. IF we win this weekend, the buildup to the Bama game is going to crazy!

Slowly finding my groove after Chicago. Everything is fine and has been fine except my feet and those stupid tendons. I don't think I formally added these to the list of races:

November
4 - Wendy98 - NYC Marathon (3:07:32 / N/A)

January
13 - Wendy98 - Walt Disney World Marathon (top 10 / N/A)

April
15- Wendy98 - Boston Marathon (2:55 /N/A)

NYC--I want to beat my Chicago time. NYC course is harder so I will need to work.
WDW-I'd like a top 10 finish or Masters win, but it will depend on who shows up.
Boston--I am going for a PR and that is the course I can do it. I need to stay healthy and hope the weather is better than last year.

I am not sure what I will do in the fall. Berlin is on the short list, but the whole childcare for several days and travel logistics makes me hesitant. I do not have a good support system for being away for that long. Possibly Chicago, since that is an easy weekend trip and I love that race. I am also looking at races closer to home like Columbus Marathon. That is where I got my first BQ and a pretty flat and fast course. Then part of me says it is time to take a break and not do a fall marathon.
I'm not starting a list yet for beyound Jan 2019, please remind me later to add Boston for you TIA.

No music for me. And congrats on your team's big win on Saturday! Now all they need to do is win out.

Thanks! I think it would be great if we can do that, put I'm trying to keep my expectations low lol.

While I do enjoy @LSUlakes QOTD's, I cannot support his team winning out. I need them to lose on November 4th... :)

A few things on this. The game is on the 3rd. If we do win and then both teams win out, you and I know that yall will still get into the playoffs without going to the SEC champ game... again... Which is also like the year yall beat us in the BCS. In fact I could argue, its a easier path for yall to go ahead and lose a game so yall can rest the week of the SEC Champ game and be ready for the playoffs. Yes, I am a little bitter about how everything seems to work out so nicely for Tide fans.

I'm a long-time lurker, but I'd like to introduce myself and be a part of the group! First of all, y'all rock!! You have both inspired me and enabled me as I've read every page this year! I live in rural southeast Arkansas and grew up in south Florida, so I'm a Disney addict! I got inspired to run after the Wine & Dine weekend 2016 when I saw people with medals that I thought didn't look like the typical runners (since I don't either!lol) The bling drew me in!! I convinced both my husband and some friends to run the W&D 10K last year and really just started running last August following the plan on run Disney. This year I have finished six 10K races with a race planned in October and the W&D 5K and 10K. I love all the info I get from reading this thread! I love the positive encouragement y'all give each other! I love the links to new gear to make the runs go better! I love the good-natured ribbing you give each other! I love the motivation I get from all of you to be better, faster, etc! And as a result, I am signed up for the Star Wars Rival Run Challenge!:scared: And I'm seriously considering Dopey 2020! (Enabling-remember!!) I look forward to being an active participant of this group! :flower:

Welcome to the thread and thanks for posting!

QOTD: Since we were on the topic of running with music earlier this week I have a follow up question. Do you run with wireless headphones or the standard issue Iphone types... which for the newer phones are now wireless.... Do you just play it on normal speakers with no headphones?

ATTQOTD: When I did run with music I used the old Iphone ones and run them under my shirt to avoid them swinging around everywhere.

ATTQOTD - I use a Nano, so wired earbuds (it doesn't have bluetooth) - standard ones from apple. Been using them for 10 years with no problems. When it is really windy the wire can interrupt my arm swing a tiny bit, but not enough to make me switch.

QOTD: Since we were on the topic of running with music earlier this week I have a follow up question. Do you run with wireless headphones or the standard issue Iphone types... which for the newer phones are now wireless.... Do you just play it on normal speakers with no headphones?
Bluetooth for me, hate wires. I have Jaybird Freedoms but don't like the cord sitting on my neck, so I switched to Plantronics BackBeat Fits. They have a more solid strap behind the head that works really well for me.

6065105_rd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

ATTQOTD: currently running with my standard issue Samsung earbuds, but they're dying and I need new ones. I need something with a wire because I use the same earbuds for my iPod on my commute and my 11 year old iPod is pre-bluetooth (yes, I know, I can get a bluetooth plug thingy ... I'd rather have wired earbuds). I rarely find the wire to get in my way.
Following this one closely, though, because I need new earbuds.

I use wireless PowerBeats. No way I’d go back to wired headphones at this point.

ATTQOTD: I got Airpods for my birthday in July and love them! I really like that the case charges them. I haven't had them run out of battery while running, but I like that for a looong race (WDW Marathon, anyone?), I can carry the small case and pop them in if they need a little charging later in the race.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I occasionally have a weird charging issue with them. When I open the case, 1 will not be charged. I assume it's because I didn't put it in right or it was a little dirty or something. This doesn't happen very often though.

ATTQOTD:
I only run with headphones sometimes, and they have been wired. However, the cheap pair of earbuds I have had for 3ish years started to sound odd a few weeks ago and the ear piece broke in half AND STAYED IN MY EAR! So I am hesitant to buy another pair.
ATTQOTD: Wireless for me. I don’t like the cord sticking to my sweaty neck so I usually wrap it once around my ponytail, bun, etc.
This is interesting to me. I keep thinking about wireless headphones but am concerned the back of the head ones are incompatible with ponytails, buns, and a soon to come out of hibernation ear band. So are the ear pieces connected with a flexible piece as opposed to the modeled plastic as seen above?

Bluetooth all the way for me. Even when I was walking, I'd have trouble with a swinging arm catching a cord and yanking the earbud out of my ear. Also, I hate having things inserted into my ears, so finding Aftershokz Trekz headphones were a huge plus for me. I get the advantage of having my ears free for safety, coolness and comfort along with Bluetooth wireless freedom.

upload_2018-10-17_10-2-44.jpeg

I'm cheap so I still run with the wire buds that come with my Iphone. I run the cord under my shirt so I don't constantly catch it with my arm. I am thinking of maybe getting wireless ones if there is a good deal come cyber Monday so will definitely seeing what everyone else says.

ATTQOTD: Bluetooth headphones. I use Jaybird X3's.

ATTQOTD: Wireless or nothing... I got my Jaybird Bluebuds X 3.5 years ago and I'll never go back to cords again. :) My original pair of Bluebuds died last year, so I stole the pair I got my SO for Christmas the same year I got mine because he never uses them. The cord can be annoying but on my pair, the cord was bent just right that I was able to just loop it up over the top of my ponytail and it would stay there. The pair I stole, the cord spent too long in a different shape and will not sit on top of my ponytail, but now I've discovered that it works even better to just pull the excess up through the bottom of my Bondi Band or Headsweats visor strap and just let it stick up in the air. The band/strap keep it nice and tight and I never feel it at all.

I'm not sure what I'll replace these with once they die. I'm sure they will eventually... I think mine shorted out somehow from sweat or rain even though they are sweatproof. One day they worked and then suddenly they did not. The battery has a limited life, though, so I'm not sure how long SO's has at 3.5 years old. :) I might get whatever the latest pair of the the X are, I think they're up to X3 or something, or I might look at the AfterShokz bone conduction ones.

ATTQOTD: YurBuds wired earbuds - the cheapest model they make (or made - I haven't needed to buy any in a couple years.) They don't hurt my ears and they stay put - something no other earbud I've tried managed to accomplish. AND they're cheap, AND they have great sound. I have a system: first, the plug end of the wire goes down my back at the back of my neck, under my tank and bra straps and out at my left shoulder (or under my bra strap and out the armhole in a short sleeve), plug into phone, which is in an armband on my left bicep. (When wearing long sleeves, I skip going down the shirt - unless I carry my phone in a leg pocket, in which case the plug end of the wire goes under a bra strap, then all they way down my back, exiting at the bottom of my shirt.) Ear buds come around the back of my neck to lay over my shoulders, then go under my bra straps, then up to my ears. This system keeps the wire 100% out of my way, and anchors it in several places so it's not flapping around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter