The Running Thread - 2018

Not sure if anyone is following this story or not, but very interesting developments with Ironman Florida in the wake of Hurricane Michael. The race is held in early November in Panama City Beach and as you all know that area was hit hard last week. Ironman released their decision last night as to how they would proceed with the race and they will now be holding the race in Haines City, FL (just west of Orlando) on the same weekend the race was supposed to be held. All entrants are automatically transferred over to the new venue, which also happens to be on the Sunday now instead of the Saturday. It is an interesting move as Haines City is the home of a 70.3 Ironman (half Ironman) race in the Spring and they will be using basically the exact same course. This means that the bike will be 2 loops, which is by no means unheard of for an Ironman race, but the run will be SIX LOOPS! Yikes. This could get just a wee bit congested

Incredibly impressive that Ironman was able to pull off a complete change of venue just two and a half weeks out...amazing.

I read about that last night - the tradeoff is it's REALLY REALLY flat. I cycle out that way a bunch when I'm in Orlando, and it's a nice area. The lake swim is really shallow too.

I read about that last night - the tradeoff is it's REALLY REALLY flat. I cycle out that way a bunch when I'm in Orlando, and it's a nice area. The lake swim is really shallow too.
Can't be any flatter than PCB can it? At least the swim shouldn't be cancelled and there isn't any fear of Red Tide. Apparently the run is a bit hilly, or at least 'Florida Hilly'.

Bluetooth for me, hate wires. I have Jaybird Freedoms but don't like the cord sitting on my neck, so I switched to Plantronics BackBeat Fits. They have a more solid strap behind the head that works really well for me.

6065105_rd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

Same for me. I don't have to worry about them falling out of my ears and they allow me to hear my surroundings pretty well.

QOTD: Since we were on the topic of running with music earlier this week I have a follow up question. Do you run with wireless headphones or the standard issue Iphone types... which for the newer phones are now wireless.... Do you just play it on normal speakers with no headphones?

I sometimes run with music and sometimes not.

I always play music from my Android phone. Over the years, I switched from headphones with a wire connecting phone to headphones, then to bluetooth headphones that had a wire running between your ears behind your head, then to the bluetooth headphones with no wires at all. I can say that each of these were major improvements in my quality of life in relation to running. The more wires I got rid of, the freer I felt while running. :)

I've found two problems with the completely wireless headphones. First, the battery life is pretty bad, especially if you're a cheapskate like me. The ones I have last for about 2 hours on a charge. Of course, I've been running with only one bud in at a time, so in principle I could use them in succession and get 4 hours. If you're willing to pay more, you can get more battery life, as always.

Second, when I run in pouring rain or my ears get similarly drenched with sweat, the buds start slipping out. I've never actually dropped one, but I can tell they are loosening and I end up taking them out. I think this could be solved with more careful consideration of the types of ear hooks that the buds have - the ones I got don't have much in the way of earhooks. My plan is to ask for a nicer pair for Christmas.

ATTQOTD: I just use the standard Iphone earbuds. They've always worked well for me - the wire doesn't get in my way and the sound is better than anything else I've tried. My big hang up with wireless is that I just don't like feel of the "wrap around the ear" thing.
Jaybird has models that don't wrap around the ear... I think other brands do, too. Mine are just regular earbuds that have these little rubber flanges to tuck into the fold above your ear opening to help hold them in place.

QOTD: For those of you who run a race with music, do you arrange the songs in your playlist so they will play at a certain time during the race?
I try to. Photo stops can screw that up though. If I really need a certain piece of music to inject some energy at a certain point, I will navigate to it on the ipod.

I've run races with music and without music. I think after my most recent non music race, I'll always have music with me just in case.

It's not flat. PCB is flat. The Haines course is a bit hilly on the bike and very hilly on the run. Many people I know are changing their cassettes to 11-28 from 11-25 to deal with the additional incline. It's not IMMT hilly, but much more climbing than PCB.

It's not flat. PCB is flat. The Haines course is a bit hilly on the bike and very hilly on the run. Many people I know are changing their cassettes to 11-28 from 11-25 to deal with the additional incline. It's not IMMT hilly, but much more climbing than PCB.

It's flat to me! :rotfl2:

Not sure if anyone is following this story or not, but very interesting developments with Ironman Florida in the wake of Hurricane Michael. The race is held in early November in Panama City Beach and as you all know that area was hit hard last week. Ironman released their decision last night as to how they would proceed with the race and they will now be holding the race in Haines City, FL (just west of Orlando) on the same weekend the race was supposed to be held. All entrants are automatically transferred over to the new venue, which also happens to be on the Sunday now instead of the Saturday. It is an interesting move as Haines City is the home of a 70.3 Ironman (half Ironman) race in the Spring and they will be using basically the exact same course. This means that the bike will be 2 loops, which is by no means unheard of for an Ironman race, but the run will be SIX LOOPS! Yikes. This could get just a wee bit congested

Incredibly impressive that Ironman was able to pull off a complete change of venue just two and a half weeks out...amazing.

I have a friend who was actually supposed to stop by for dinner on her way to that race, so I've been following it. She decided to take her medical deferral for this one. (Her knee has been giving her trouble, and she had to DQ her last race as she got her ribs cracked during the swim, so some extra time is probably a good idea.)

ATTQOTD: Another vote for Aftershokz Trekz Air. Awesome! DW doesn't like the contact over and on the back of the ears, but if that doesn't bother you, they are incredible. They have the best sound reproduction without plugging your ears that I have found.

A few things on this. The game is on the 3rd. If we do win and then both teams win out, you and I know that yall will still get into the playoffs without going to the SEC champ game... again... Which is also like the year yall beat us in the BCS. In fact I could argue, its a easier path for yall to go ahead and lose a game so yall can rest the week of the SEC Champ game and be ready for the playoffs. Yes, I am a little bitter about how everything seems to work out so nicely for Tide fans.

You are right! It is the 3rd. Not sure why I was thinking the 4th. Always love going to Baton Rouge. I have some Auburn friends here that always say they hate going down there and how the fans don't get along, etc., however, I've always found that LSU and 'Bama fans, while they will have fun, are pretty respectful of each other. I think it is the shared love of eating and drinking :)

OK, I am going to have to admit something... I am just not tech savvy. So, first, I have no social media account (which, that, I am very OK with - I could care less what someone I barely knew in 10th grade is doing at the moment...), but, second... I have never listened to a podcast. Quite honestly, I wouldn't even know where to go get one.

Yes, I'm out of touch... I know...

Also, just a note @LSUlakes , if we would have won the regular season game in 2011 (which we should have... I still have nightmares about placekickers...), we still would have played you guys in the Championship Game, the roles just would have been reversed. LSU and Bama were by far the two best teams that year...

QOTD: Since we were on the topic of running with music earlier this week I have a follow up question. Do you run with wireless headphones or the standard issue Iphone types... which for the newer phones are now wireless.... Do you just play it on normal speakers with no headphones?

ATTQOTD: If I had all the money back I’ve spent on headphones, I could take a really long deluxe vacation at Disney! My ears must be shaped weird because the pods fall out, anything over the ear didn’t stay put, etc. Beats-nope, cheapo-nope, until I tried the aftershokz. They are the only headphones I will ever use! I got them at the W&D expo last year and absolutely love them! I’m thinking that new new lighter version might be what I can’t live without from this year’s expo!!

Edited because I'm still figuring out how to use the reply feature!lol

Last edited:
Has anyone tried out Float Therapy after longer runs for recovery?
800-1000lbs of epsom salts sounds lovely!
How did that compare to a good sports massage?
Trying to make some plans for those upcoming Dopey sim.

QOTD: For those of you who run a race with music, do you arrange the songs in your playlist so they will play at a certain time during the race?

I run with music all the time, but I don't arrange the playlist. I do have a running playlist with super upbeat songs. It's called "run baby run" (from the We The Kings song Check Yes Juliet "run baby run / as fast as you can / they'll tear us apart if / you give them the chance").

I used to run with the headphones my iPhone 7+ came with, but I got a pair of blue tooth headphones for my birthday from my neighbor/friend/sister/mother-of-my-favorite-kids and now I use those for runs.

Also... hey guys. I'm back? Race on Sunday!

I think I had this one, actually - the Great Big Sea version, along with "When I'm Up" and maybe "When I Am King".

The other one I remember was Queen, "Headlong", as the starter.

Great Big Sea is awesome! I used to teach "When I'm Up" to kids at a summer camp I worked at many years ago!

ATTQOTD: When I did run with music I used the old Iphone ones and run them under my shirt to avoid them swinging around everywhere.

Bluetooth for me, hate wires. I have Jaybird Freedoms but don't like the cord sitting on my neck, so I switched to Plantronics BackBeat Fits. They have a more solid strap behind the head that works really well for me.

6065105_rd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

I have Bose Bluetooth headphones. I like them but not as much as I liked my Plantronics that Mike shows here. I got Plantronics as my first Bluetooth headphones and they were great. Then I got a rewards coupon at a Best Buy that was going to expire if I didn't use it so I went and looked and they had Plantronics on sale for like $89.99 and my coupon was $50 so I picked up another pair for a little over $40 after tax. I was thrilled. They sat in the box for about a year until my originals finally died. Charged the new ones up for a run the next day. They wouldn't turn on. They never worked. It was a waste. The design and packaging had changed so I couldn't even bring them back and say I had just bought them and swap for a new pair. So I went with the Bose. The sound is great with the Bose but they are not as comfortable as the Plantronics. I couldn't even feel those at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!