The Running Thread - 2018

I was thinking about the question last night and I think something that's been hard for me when thinking about next years goals is do I want to A) just have fun running comfortably at a fitness level I am already at and not pressure myself for a new goal or B) choose a goal that is just out of reach to work hard towards.
I've been giving myself reach goals (sometimes multiple ones) every single year so now I'm on the fence.
I did sign up for a beginner distance sprint triathlon, so that right there is something new. But in terms of running only...making decisions for next year may be my hardest thing about running currently.

Why can't you do both? Sign up for several runs/races to keep you engaged and having fun, and choose *one* as a step-up challenge to push you to do more than you think you can. This should keep you from freaking out over having too much pressure over too many hard goals yet keep you out there running and sane. :)

QOTD: Race day preparation. Do you review the course route and try to learn it or just glance it over before the race? Do you prefer not knowing and the whole thing be a surprise instead?

For an A race, I always have a look at the course in advance, mostly to know where the water stops and major inclines are. Helps to plan my pacing and gives me something to draw on mentally while racing. For fun races, I don't pay as much attention in advance because as others have said, it's kind of fun to be surprised.

ATTQOTD (yesterday): At first it was recovery because I ran every run as hard as I could. I ended up with runner's knee before my first half marathon because of this madness. Now it is mental strength. My legs and breathing always feel great, but I let that negative thought landslide and take over when racing.

ATTQOTD (today): I probably over analyze race courses. I try to determine where hills are, as well as water stops. This worked out really well for my half marathon in Nashville in April so I plan to do it in the future.

ATTQOTD:My course prep is to show up. I’ve never been in a race with few enough participants that I’d be responsible for finding my own path. More importantly, I’m not nearly well-versed enough in the geography of any of the races I’ve run for the course map to be anything more than squiggly lines.

QOTD: Race day preparation. Do you review the course route and try to learn it or just glance it over before the race? Do you prefer not knowing and the whole thing be a surprise instead?
ATTQOTD: I do not like surprises and like to know as much as I can about a course ahead of the race. I have gone so far as driving to the course weeks before the race and doing a dry run on it as a training run.

ATTQOTD: I glance at the route for anything cool along the way and check the elevation before I sign up, but it never really seems to change if I sign up, just if I worry about it later. Usually less than a week out I’ll check water and potty locations on the map.

I'll check out the course map for sure. I don't memorize turn by turn directions or anything but I take a look at the elevation chart to know what's in store. And I also want a general understanding of the course, i.e. is it a loop, point to point, out and back, a lot of turns, etc.

ATTQOTD: I like knowing the course map. Sometimes I memorize it (especially when I'm really trying for a PR) and go as far as training with my water to coincide with about the same stops between drinking. Other times I just key in on landmarks or big course direction changes but I don't memorize all the little turns. There's still plenty of surprises in what the course is vs on paper when you are experiencing it.
The one course I didn't look at almost at all was my women's half last year. It had so many curvy neighborhood streets in an area that I was unfamiliar with that it seemed like no point trying to remember it.

ATTQOTD: I tend to look at the map, but really scrutinize the elevation charts when I'm racing. It helps me get an idea on where I want to be for pace. For the one race that was in my hometown, I actually ran the majority of the course several times as my long run.

ATTQOTD: For a 5k or 10k, I generally don't look at the map. For Half and Full Marathons, I generally just look at aid station timing (to properly plan for hydration and gels) and any major elevation changes. Other than that, I like to be surprised.

I usually just glance at it to see if there's anything I need to worry about. If there's something like a big hill or a weird turn, I'll make a mental note. But mostly I don't like to obsess about it. I usually bring my own hydration, so I'm not concerned about aid stations.

Yesterday QOTD:
Then - I was doing what a lot of others were doing and trying to run really fast for every training run. I also wasn’t consistent from week to week and I stopped running every summer.
Now - Struggling to balance home life and running. I feel like it’s taken over my life right now. It’s not just the running...it’s making sure I’m eating enough of the right types of foods to keep my body fueled and getting enough sleep.

Today QOTD: I have zero sense of direction. I’m that person who gets lost even when using GPS. I look at course maps and forget what I looked at 5 minutes later. My last 10K I was racing for time so I studied that map a lot. I was studying it in the wrong direction. I thought the start was the finish and the finish was the start. In my defense it was just a google maps satellite image with a line.

ATTQOTD: For a 5k or 10k, I generally don't look at the map. For Half and Full Marathons, I generally just look at aid station timing (to properly plan for hydration and gels) and any major elevation changes. Other than that, I like to be surprised.

What he said. Mostly just for where the aid stations, hydration and food are. Otherwise, I just show up and run where things are marked to run. I haven't run very many courses that are particularly hilly. My "strategies" are mostly internal rather than dealing with anything external.

For most races, I'll note any big hills but I simply look it over to acquaint myself with the course.

I look it over a bit, and after an unpleasant surprise last January I take a look at elevations fairly closely. But I don't worry too much about it other than that.

Anyone have a race this weekend? I believe this weekend is the only week without someone having a official race. I understand why with the holiday and then marathon weekend just around the corner, this weekend is probably not a good idea for one, but if someone has one lined up let me know so we can keep the streak alive!

I am running the Atlanta Christmas 5K! New location in Piedmont Park instead of through the Virginia Highlands neighborhood, so should be a flatter and faster course.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter