The Running Thread - 2018

Discussion in 'runDisney' started by LSUlakes, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Capang

Capang DIS Veteran

ATTQOTD: no festivities here....however it is Paczki day tomorrow....although I’m still in weight loss mode so I’ll pass this year.

This is pretty big around Cleveland, too. A friend of mine worked for her family’s doughnut shop and they made them from an old family recipe as well. They. Were. Delicious.

LSUlakes and rteetz like this.
  2. LSUlakes

LSUlakes DIS Veteran

@Keels I am very sorry to hear of your loss. We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. If there is something you need me to help you with, do not hesitate to ask. If you want to just call and talk about nothing I am fine with that as well. I have zero problem with you posting this on this thread and I think I can speak for everyone here, that your Disney friends are here for you.

sourire, Ariel484, cburnett11 and 8 others like this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. LSUlakes

LSUlakes DIS Veteran

I am sorry to hear about this as well. We will keep you and your family in our prayers as well. If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.

Ariel484, cburnett11 and BikeFan like this.
  5. LSUlakes

LSUlakes DIS Veteran

I would be in favor of sending some of the out of state folks and even some on the in state folks your way if it made my experiance better. There still seems to be some argument on which place it really started, but NOLA seemed to cash in first. lol Where I grew up we had two types, the version that everyone knows of in NOLA and the country version. The country version as the story goes is a parade through town with people on horses and walking (trucks and trailer added later). The idea was to go around town gathering ingredients for a gumbo. Part of this was getting chicken, which became the focus of this "parade". At certain point along the route everyone stops and in a field a chicken is let go and then a bunch of grown men go crazy trying to catch it until they do and celebrate. The chicken is not actually used for the gumbo. At the end of the day though there is a large gumbo cooked as well of south Louisiana things like boudin. Two very different versions of the same thing.

Thats a nice looking gumbo!

6. Waiting2goback

Waiting2goback DIS Veteran

I do nothing for Mardi Gras. Much like Vegas, I don't ever see myself going to see it in person. I just don't see the appeal. Other than Disney, I'm not a large crowds/party kind of guy. In fact I often wonder why the crowds at Disneydont bother me. I've seen Mardi Gras on "Cops", does that count?

LSUlakes likes this.
  7. kleph

kleph Earning My Ears

Thanks. I make like they do in St. Landry/Evangeline parishes. I don't use the potato salad though.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    LSUlakes likes this.
  8. LSUlakes

LSUlakes DIS Veteran

QOTD: What is your favorite type of surface to run on? What surface do you dislike to run on?

ATTQOTD: I prefer asphalt over all of the options and running on sand is a very overrated experience.

huggybuff likes this.
  9. LSUlakes

LSUlakes DIS Veteran

Just saw something funny on this DIS. Not sure if this shows up on a phone, but on the desktop at the bottom of the page there is a area that suggest threads and ads. Well I saw this thread on it and it had a picture of the girl from the Hunger Games in this scene:
    [​IMG]

Interesting choice lol

Baloo in MI, Bree, baxter24 and 4 others like this.
  10. camaker

camaker Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

I prefer running on asphalt and concrete and don't like running on mulch.

LSUlakes likes this.
  11. LikelyLynae

LikelyLynae Earning My Ears

ATTQOTD- I prefer asphalt or packed dirt. I don’t like running on anything with any type of rock because that’s caused more than one injury.

Dis5150 and LSUlakes like this.
  12. SarahDisney

SarahDisney So ... Yeah

I'm not super picky about surfaces. Not really a fan of grass or dirt (I've never tried sand, but I'm guessing I'll feel similarly), but other than that ... they're mostly the same to me.

LSUlakes likes this.
  13. FredtheDuck

FredtheDuck DIS Veteran

ATTQOTD: I'm fine with most surfaces (even sand, it's a great workout). But they recently did a bunch of milling and paving in my neighborhood and I HATED that. The roads were uneven and it was hard to see where they had milled and where wasn't done yet (so there were lips and divits to trip on everywhere), I kept getting rocks in my shoes and in my treads, and the air quality was terrible because of all the dust.

LSUlakes likes this.
  14. Disney at Heart

Disney at Heart Mouseketeer

I also prefer asphalt or a good packed trail. Sand, it depends. I tried running on the beach in Destin. No Way. But the packed sand at Ponce Inlet, where Daytona races started, is awesome. Least favorite is boardwalk (except THE Boardwalk, which means I'm "almost there") or concrete sidewalks if I am doing a long run.

LSUlakes likes this.
  15. Chaitali

Chaitali DIS Veteran

I generally prefer asphalt or packed dirt. I only tried sand once and grass once and both were hard! I have a trail around here that's gravel and I don't usually mind it when it's well packed but when they resurface it I've had a couple close calls with loose gravel and almost turning an ankle. Sadly, most of my runs recently have been on concrete sidewalks in my neighborhood and that's definitely harder on the joints. Plus boring!

LSUlakes likes this.
  16. JulieODC

JulieODC DIS Veteran

Packed dirt is my favorite - but I don’t have many opportunities to run on it.

LSUlakes likes this.
  17. TheHamm

TheHamm Mouseketeer

I am glad to see many picked 'packed dirt' as I was not sure that is an actual surface. I also think I like it because it usually means I am surrounded by trees, which is more the important factor as my mood seems much improved in this scenario. As for least favorite surface, I'm going with treadmill or iced snow, both of which have been my option of late. Next worse would be sand or loose gravel, which is the non-mud trail option of late. SPRING, WHERE ARE YOU?

Baloo in MI, huggybuff and LSUlakes like this.
  18. PCFriar80

PCFriar80 BCV/CT

My favorite is asphalt. I dislike asphalt with potholes.:crutches:

rteetz and LSUlakes like this.
  19. run.minnie.miles

run.minnie.miles DIS Veteran

Add another for even, packed dirt. My least favorite is gravel on concrete... I had a really nasty fall from slipping on that last May. (And got asked about it all of last summer when wearing shorts... yes, I know I have a ugly scrape/scar. Yes it hurts. Thanks for reminding me.)

Ha! Perfect picture! We do kind of volunteer as tributes...

LSUlakes likes this.
  20. ZellyB

ZellyB DIS Veteran

We have a section we run routinely around our local park that is finely crushed and packed gravel. It's tightly packed usually so no sliding around on it, so I really like it although it can sometimes get a bit uneven. After that, asphalt. Not a fan of concrete for any extended distances. I tried running in the sand in Sarasota and it was horrible. Don't get me wrong, it's amazing sandy beaches, but way too soft for running.

LSUlakes likes this.
  21. apdebord

apdebord Mouseketeer

ATTQOTD: Asphalt for sure. Hard sand close to the water isn't too bad, but not for an extended amount of time. Anything with loose gravel, branches, or snakes that resemble sticks and I'm done.

Dis5150 and LSUlakes like this.