The Running Thread - 2018

A very early fun Friday QOTD: (VEFFQOTD) If you had the power to bring back any past attraction, show, food item, or character, what would you choose?

Attraction: 20,000 Leagues. Never got to see it but it sounds like I would like it.
Show: Bring Paint the Night Parade to WDW for a run. I saw one of the last showings at DL and loved it. I understand the nostalgia around MSEP, but it's seriously dated and needs to be significantly updated or permanently put out to pasture.
Food: Clam chowder in sourdough bread bowls at WDW!!!! This would make me so happy! I miss that the most of anything they've gotten rid of there.
Character: Hercules, Meg, Hades, Pain and Panic. Loved seeing the Hercules crew at Marathon Weekend. They should be more prevalent.

Adventurers Club!!!

I think this would be my choice too. I went to Disney when I was young, and by the time I started going as an adult I had missed my opportunity for this. I think this is something that was really unique at Disney.

Attraction: 20,000 Leagues. Never got to see it but it sounds like I would like it.
Show: Bring Paint the Night Parade to WDW for a run. I saw one of the last showings at DL and loved it. I understand the nostalgia around MSEP, but it's seriously dated and needs to be significantly updated or permanently put out to pasture.
Food: Clam chowder in sourdough bread bowls at WDW!!!! This would make me so happy! I miss that the most of anything they've gotten rid of there.
Character: Hercules, Meg, Hades, Pain and Panic. Loved seeing the Hercules crew at Marathon Weekend. They should be more prevalent.
I wish they would bring Paint the night to WDW too. It is a really great parade.

A very early fun Friday QOTD: (VEFFQOTD) If you had the power to bring back any past attraction, show, food item, or character, what would you choose?

Food: My beloved spicy mussels at the Boathouse.
Attraction: I wish they’d overhaul Future World entirely and reintroduce many more of the educational elements that I remember from my trip to WDW back in the 80’s. Mission Space is god awful and the Seas pavilion is just sad.

I don’t mind Starbucks in the parks. :duck:

ATTVEFFQOTD: The nighttime parades... give me all the lights!
I mentioned this on the the Marathon 2019 thread a few weeks ago, but I would also like to be able to experience "Alien Encounter" one more time because I was equally terrified and enthralled with it as a kid!
(Also @LSUlakes.. I have to confess that I like Disney Starbucks.. favorite mugs, drinks... please don't kick me off this thread!)

ATTVEFFQOTD: I'm going to copy @Bree and say the animation academy. We only got to do it once the year before they took it away and we had a great time doing it. I was so disappointed when they took it away. :(
They still have it at Disneyland.... Just sayin'... Haha

Mission Space is god awful
My 5 y/o made us ride this THREE times... in a row... (I actually liked it, too.)

My childhood wasn't filled with fun trips to Disney, unfortunately. My knowledge of Disney things is fairly recently. My first trip to WDW was in November. With that being said, I am still salty that they changed the ToT to Guardians of the Galaxy.

While I totally understand the want for MSEP I wish WDW would get its own parade not a Disneyland copy. I loved SpectroMagic and that was unique to WDW. MSEP is so old IMO.

ATTQOTD:

I only started frequenting Disney in 2012, essentially once a year during Marathon Weekend, and I don't really have anything that jumps into my head that has disappeared and I would like to see return. My previous trips were as a kid in the mid-90's and all the things I remember liking are still there.

Lots of great answers so far! I think my favorite already mentioned is the Osborne Lights. They were always so magical, especially during Wine & Dine!

To add a new item to the list...I miss the old entrance to Club Cool. Remember how amazing that ice cave was on a hot day?!

Paging @DopeyBadger

I was thinking of posting this in your thread about creating training plans, but thought the greater Running Thread community may be interested. I found it an interesting discussion about race time prediction data and correlations to various factors.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...-updated-formula-for-marathon-running-success

Alright, I finished my review and analysis of the paper. Here's the full breakdown (link)! Beware!!! DON'T CLICK THE LINK IF YOU DON'T LIKE #MATH!

My conclusions from the paper (behind a spoiler if you want to skip it):

Conclusions

The conclusions we can draw from this:

-If HM performance is equal, women are likelier to finish with a faster M time than men.
-Runners of all abilities are capable of a 1.06 or less, and roughly the top 10% of all subgroups from 1:20 HM'ers to 2:00 HM'ers were roughly the same R value (or relative performance).
-Faster runners are better converters with a lower R overall average. Makes sense then why Rigel came up with 1.06 since the elite runners available to him would have been a similar pool to the faster runners in Williams dataset.
-Runners on the slower side of the HM performances tend to have more variability as a group because of the bad converters in their groups, not because of the lack of good converters. So more people on the slower side of HM performance training inappropriately for marathon performance.
-Roughly 5:00 to 5:30 hours per week on average for a marathon training plan is considered "typical" or "sufficient" by Williams.
-Those who run more than 5:00-5:30 hours per week are more successful at being good converters than are runners who run less than 5:00-5:30 hours per week.
-Those who do 5L around 100 barely appear different than those around lesser or higher numbers. The 5L would suggest it is lower on the predictive nature than other variables.
-Those who have 5L be a lower % of total mileage from 16 weeks tend to be the best converters. The faster runners also tend to be the ones with lower %5L values. Relying less on the long runs and more balance yields a better relative performance.
-Those who train at 40-80 seconds slower than race pace more often than not will be a good converter and have a R less than 1.15.

For my marathon training plans:

-The training load I schedule (around 7 hours per week) is sufficient (above 5-5.5 hrs) and is most like a 2:20 marathon runner's training plan.
-Almost none of my training plans would hit the 100 mile rule of thumb 5L. Most would be far far lower. The data suggests this is a minimal variable compared to other things.
-The %5L of training plans is a very good predictor of being a good converter. My plans are about 11% 5L of the total regardless of ability levels. The best converters (1.06-1.07) are around 9-10%. The worst converters (1.17-1.18) are around 20-21%.
-My training plans average pace is between 40-70 seconds depending on one's relative fitness. The point at which you are more likely to achieve a conversion better than 1.15 than not, is between 40-70 seconds. Or exactly where I schedule my paces.

This explains why most of my marathon training plans yield a final marathon time very close to my prediction. They check off all the boxes for optimal race day performance based on Williams conclusions. My predictions between HM and M performance is 4% or almost exactly a value of 1.06. So my runners tend to achieve in the top 25% of relative performances or at around 1.10 or less for an R value.

So a good marathon plan is:
-Over 5-5.5 hrs in duration per week on average for 16 weeks.
-Has a 5L% of 9-11%. So if you do 100 miles as 5L (or five 20 milers), then you better be doing 1000 miles in the 16 weeks of training (or 63 miles per week on average). The more you diverge from this, the worse your HM conversion becomes. Although, you can still be successful at a lower 5L like 60 miles if the 5L% is still in the 9-11% range (or 600 miles total and 38 miles per week) as long as that duration is over 5-5.5 hours for your paces.
-Has you training at roughly 40-80 seconds slower on average for the plan than marathon race pace.

My 5 y/o made us ride this THREE times... in a row... (I actually liked it, too.)

Oh I'd absolutely wretch. :faint:

My childhood wasn't filled with fun trips to Disney, unfortunately. My knowledge of Disney things is fairly recently. My first trip to WDW was in November. With that being said, I am still salty that they changed the ToT to Guardians of the Galaxy.

YES! ToT was my favorite ride in all of DCA. And I'm a Twilight Zone fan so it really hurt.

They still have it at Disneyland.... Just sayin'... Haha

And we still have Mr. Toad. :woohoo:

I'm looking for advice on golf courses at Disney World. Anyone have a recommendation? I looked a little in the DIS, I am overlooking the "Golf" type threads? TIA
You have several options: The Palm and Magnolia courses by Shades of Green are the courses that used to host the PGA tour event. Both are good / fair resort courses and can provide a good test if you are a golfer looking for that, or just fun. The Oak Trail is a shorter little course that is fun but not too difficult. This is the course @rteetz mentioned as also adding foot golf. You can go to the Waldorf Astoria Golf Club which is over by Bonnet Creek which has a very nice resort course, though it is a little more pricey during the winter season. Finally you have the Four Seasons Tranquilo Golf Club which is a make over of the Old Osprey Ridge course, which is a nice course, also pricey in the winter, but is never really crowded. This course hosted the Diamond Resorts International Pro-Am last month. There are also a bunch of pretty good courses just off property - the closest being Falcons Fire Golf Club just down past the Gaylord Palms on Osceola Parkway east of I-4.

Yes! I second this! I third and fourth this!

I saw Paint the Night at DL and was blown away. As a lifelong MSEP fan, I never thought anything could beat it, but Paint the Night is my favorite parade now. I cannot believe it's not being run anywhere right now.

Edited to add: @LSUlakes there is no way I could solve a math problem during a marathon, I can barely do the math to figure out how many miles are left after about mile 18 because my brain shuts down! :rotfl2:

Trying to calculate what pace we needed to run to finish under the Comrades cutoff time when we had 37km left to go was a hopeless math exercise, but it did keep our brains occupied for a while instead of having them think about how far we had left to run. :)

Yes! I second this! I third and fourth this!

I saw Paint the Night at DL and was blown away. As a lifelong MSEP fan, I never thought anything could beat it, but Paint the Night is my favorite parade now. I cannot believe it's not being run anywhere right now.
It will be back soon at DCA. And Hong Kong has their own version running nightly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter