The Running Thread - 2018

50 is right around the corner for me and I have thought about a BQ attempt. I can't stop thinking that my reasons for doing so would be more to say that I did it rather than truly wanting to do it. The marathon distance does not excite me and neither does the training. I enjoy what I am doing now.

Calling all FL residents. I am thinking of doing the Sarasota Music 1/2 Marathon in February. It is mostly along the ocean and they have a lot of live music on the course. Looks really nice. Anyone ever hear of it?
No personal experience, but a friend of mine runs it every year and says it ranks among her favorite races!

My husband was ordering some new Brooks shoes and asked me if I needed another pair. Y’ALL. It took everything in me to say no. Because I don’t yet. And I feel like today I became a responsible adult.
Well done! And don't worry - I ordered 3 pairs of shoes yesterday, so I've got ya covered. :rotfl2:

ATTQOTD: No ability or desire to BQ, no interest in ever running Boston, so I'm good with whatever! :)

QOTD: I believe this was already mentioned last week, but BAA is lowering the qualifying times by 5 minutes across the board for the 2020 marathon. For those who have Boston as a goal, does this change your plans any?

Nope, no change for me. I need to keep getting older without getting slower. Plus, by the time my speed and age hit the sweet spot, the running boom will be declining again and they'll give the five minutes back.

QOTD: I believe this was already mentioned last week, but BAA is lowering the qualifying times by 5 minutes across the board for the 2020 marathon. For those who have Boston as a goal, does this change your plans any?

ATTQOTD: Great question!! Earlier this year, when I decided to take on a marathon (I try not to use that term involving a container that eventually gets kicked), I figured it would be a one and done event - and it still might be depending how January goes. But then I joined this thread and thanks to all of you, I started to learn about training. And even though I am a "take it one day at a time" person, I am starting to think - especially while I am out on those long training runs - about possibly doing it again. Based on my HM times, I am already right on the line of being fast enough to qualify for Boston and I think with a little more training I can get there. The lower qualify times feel like the light at the end of the tunnel got a little far away. But let's see how the rest of this year goes and then ask me the same question early next year...

ATTQOTD: the new Boston qualifying times don't have much impact for me right now, I'm not close to making it. But it might make a difference in 20 years when I might be.
Would love to run it one day.

My husband was ordering some new Brooks shoes and asked me if I needed another pair. Y’ALL. It took everything in me to say no. Because I don’t yet. And I feel like today I became a responsible adult.

giphy.gif

Yesterday ATTQOTD:
September miles: 101.4
I don’t have a favorite fall run in AZ yet. In Seattle it was the Seattle marathon on thanksgiving weekend.
I will be running the Gilbert half in November which will be my first half in AZ.
Today ATTQOTD:
regarding the Boston, the 5 mins doesn’t change much for me. This run has always been on my bucket list. I benefit from being over 50.
If I survive the Dopey without injury then I am going to hire a coach to help me achieve qualifying.

Yesterday ATTQOTD:
September miles: 101.4
I don’t have a favorite fall run in AZ yet. In Seattle it was the Seattle marathon on thanksgiving weekend.
I will be running the Gilbert half in November which will be my first half in AZ.

So this race gives someone a reason to carb load on T-Giving day--awesome!

ATTQOTD: At this point, unless they take turtle speed, I won't need to worry about this. However, we do know someone who was in the denied group this year. There wife got in, but they did not so understand why they changed it.

Nope, doesn't change a thing for me. I will keep going back to Boston until I am no longer physically able.

I am glad the standard got tightened--way too many qualified runners shut out. However, I am not completely on board with the blanket 5 minutes. Shaving 5 minutes off a 3 hour marathon is VERY different than taking 5 minutes off a 4 hour marathon.

They did have a now mostly forgotten rule back in 2011 and earlier before entries outnumbered spots available. While the BQ was X, you were allowed to submit an entry with a time of X+59 seconds. And if there was enough room, you got in. So a 3:50 standard, could actually be written as 3:50:59. But I wasn't able to find that language written in the new qualifying standards in a cursory look.

Prior to 2013, they quoted the qualifying times in hours and mins only (no seconds), so they allowed cutoff times up to hh:mm:59; however, since 2013, the qualifying times listed include seconds (00), so you no longer get the extra 59 seconds.

Prior to 2013, they quoted the qualifying times in hours and mins only (no seconds), so they allowed cutoff times up to hh:mm:59; however, since 2013, the qualifying times listed include seconds (00), so you no longer get the extra 59 seconds.

Ahh that makes sense. Now I see it on the historical section. Thanks for the clarification!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter