The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: I always got the flu shot, for myself and those around.

That one is alive and prevents the receiver to be in contact with people at risk. The one year the nurse insisted that my DDs get the nasal spray instead of the needle (which they prefer... go figure) was the one my MIL was terminal... Go tell her and the kids « no hugs, stay away » in those moments. Lesson learned, the hard way.
The Navy went through a few years while I was in that they forced everyone to get the spray and not the shot. I don’t know if they still do though.

The Navy went through a few years while I was in that they forced everyone to get the spray and not the shot. I don’t know if they still do though.

The AF was pushing the mist hard for a while too but DH always convinced them to give him the shot because we had newborns/little babies at home. Last year everyone got the shot and who know what they will decide for this year.

Oh, I forgot. I came on tonight because I need to see if anyone had heard Disney is no longer giving medals to people that are swept. My girlfriend heard that from someone and asked me if it’s true. I didn’t hear it so I didn’t know if anyone else heard. I figured if anyone would know it would be @Keels.
Without attempting to ignite a firestorm about their medal policy, I will only say that the medal feels very, very different when it comes at the end of a finished race.

ATTQOTD: I always get the flu shot. Definitely getting it later this month.

ATTQOTD: I don't typically get the flu shot. Today is day 3 of my new job and I could have gotten my flu shot but I passed.

I have a shoe question:

How much mileage do you leave on a pair of shoes you plan to wear for a race?

I have 40 miles on my current shoes that I'm saving for race day (marathon). They are identical model to the pairs I've beat up all summer.

For shorter races I haven't worn the newest shoes for races. I regret two races (a 10k then a half) that I wore almost done shoes on and feet really felt it. I should have bought new shoes sooner.

ATTQOTD about shoe mileage: I switch out shoes after 250-400 miles. I like to have 75-150 miles on shoes for long races. For some reason I've been rotating shoes all summer and now ALL of them are at the end of their useful life and I don't have another pair ready to go. Poor planning on my part.

Unfortunately the effectiveness of the nasal spray form of the flu vaccine (aka flumist) was not as effective as the injection version after looking at data from 2016 and therefore was not recommended for 2017 and 2018. Although it has been brought back for this season, the AAP has recommended that parents choose the injection for their children.

It's true that the flu vaccine only contains a few of the thousands of flu strains available, but they are chosen by the CDC (in conjunction with the WHO) based on data from centers that monitor flu year round to try to ascertain the most likely strains that will be prevalent in the United States.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season/vaccine-selection.htm
http://www.aappublications.org/news/2018/05/21/fluvaccine051818

Not sure if any of you guys run in Saucony Guides like me, but...

The new Guide ISO 2's are out, which means that the Guide ISO's are now on sale $30 off ($90). Just grabbed another pair...

ATTQOTD: yes to the flu vaccine as my employer, a large healthcare company, heavily urges all employees to be vaccinated.
The flu vaccine is far from perfect. I have been sick with the flu twice in the last 6 years even after being vaccinated.

Not sure if any of you guys run in Saucony Guides like me, but...

The new Guide ISO 2's are out, which means that the Guide ISO's are now on sale $30 off ($90). Just grabbed another pair...

That would be me - where did you find this sale? :)

Nvmnd, found some! Now to pick a color!

Last edited:
QOTD: Have you ever regretted signing up for a race?

ATTQOTD: I have not yet, but I am starting to. I am lining myself up for a very unpleasant experience in January. I am also thinking that before I register for another marathon my children need to be at least 3 or older. I will probably regret this weekends 10 miler, but I am going to run it as a official start to training.

ATTQOTD: Yes, a few times... like I regret that $100+ I spent on registering for Wineglass and getting the travel insurance and then finding out that you can't use the travel insurance on things like "I have company visiting the two weeks leading up to that and they're leaving the day of the race and I just don't feel like going now." :o

ATTQOTD: Only the ones that have been cancelled due to weather.

We are having our campus wide mock emergency evacuation this morning. We have to get 110 developmentally disabled adults to a college campus 10 miles away and back in 3 hours. I am expecting a cluster #&*@ of a day (at least until after lunch!). Pray for me y'all!

QOTD: Have you ever regretted signing up for a race?
Yes. I spent more time regretting signing up for the Princess 10K than being fine with having signed up. I agreed and a friend signed me up for the 2018 race in May 2017, and I spent all summer and most of the fall regretting it. I understand people need time to train for a marathon, but signing up 9 months in advance is too long for me to not obsess and over-analyze. It was so bad DH decided we should sign up for the Avengers 10K because that was only a few weeks away - in his calculation I would run it, finish, and quit obsessing over what I was sure was being swept at princess. The race was hard for non-running reasons, I did finish, and we did DL for hours that afternoon; he saved me from an additional 4 months of regret and fear. He keeps remind me of this as I have similar doubt and regret about signing up for the January Half.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter