The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD-Ice baths.....um, no thank you. I used ice on my feet and knees for recovery but never taken the full ice plunge!

Traffic comments....DC traffic is no picnic either. Love my small town but if I have to drive more than 30 miles north towards the city, it's a nightmare!

Love California!! Anyone seen the new movie about climbing El Capitan at Yosemite that just came out? It looks great.

I'll take an animal-style INO burger over a 5G burger
We are east coasters, but DH and I wholeheartedly agree with you on this. It's become tradition over the last few years that our first stop after landing in CA, is to find the nearest INO. (I know, we might have a problem.) o_O

Love California!! Anyone seen the new movie about climbing El Capitan at Yosemite that just came out? It looks great.
Have tix to it on Friday evening in the city! Was a bit hard to find...none of the indie theatres in the burbs have it near us.

Few notes / reminders.

1. Proof of time for marathon weekend must be submitted today. If my race Sunday went well and would have been a improvement over my other 10 mile race I would be very mad at the moment since the results arent posted yet.

2. To any posters living in the Florida Panhandle, best of luck to you! This storm is getting big.

https://runsignup.com/Race/Results/17953/?remMeAttempt=#resultSetId-132119

I saw this posted on Facebook on Sunday, but, yeah, they should make it easier to find beside facebook

ATTQOTD:
Race recovery for me is eating and drinking right afterwards which must include a banana. I do easy walking during the rest of the day.
I find sitting for long lengths of time following a half or full marathon just causes muscle aches.

QOTD: Since it was mentioned, stays on topic, and I am struggling for ideas today... ICE BATHS for recovery! Have you done them before? Did you find it helped any?
My chiropractor (who is not a runner, just an active, educated guy who likes to research things) researched the topic of ice baths and came to the conclusion that a hot bath was better. Increase blood flow and circulation, don't constrict it. I'm not sure which science says is better, but nothing feels better after a long run than a long hot shower. Especially after those races when you get chilled after you finish. So, I'm going with my chiro's theory!

Last edited:
Oh LA how I love thee!

Did it take me 45 min to drive 10 miles to work using every single short cut imaginable? Yes! I've had almost verbatim conversations as seen on SNL's The Californians. I love HBO's Insecure too, it shows the "real" LA, not just the beaches and Beverly Hills.

Anyways, I grew up less than 5 minutes away from an In-n-Out and had no idea it was a thing! But my favorite best burger came from a hole-in-the-wall dive bar known for their philly cheesesteaks.

Looks like we may have Chamber of Commerce race conditions for you and the Hartford marathon. Dry conditions, race start temps in the mid to upper 40s and only reaching the low 50's on Saturday. Light NW winds. Safe travels and good luck!

oh i have been watching. and it's unfolding almost exactly how i had hoped. so while my anxiety about the weather is easing up, my worries about being ill is increasing exponentially. but, right now, everything is a go. thanks for the heads up and the good wishes.

i've done ice baths in the past and find they help tremendously with recovery. but, keep in mind, you only need to get the water temperature down to about 40° or so and a 20-minute session is about the longest you need to go. i usually follow with a warm shower as well.

Last summer in LA, it took almost 3 hours to go 45 miles to Disneyland. That was by far the worst traffic experience in my life.

Well, LA is clearly the worst traffic there is, even worse than NY from what I hear.

QOTD: Since it was mentioned, stays on topic, and I am struggling for ideas today... ICE BATHS for recovery! Have you done them before? Did you find it helped any?

ATTQOTD: I have done them and will do them again. I think it helped, and having a cold beer helps during the bath part. One issue I have is when I run during a home game I do not go home, so for those days no ice bath. Also should mention the ice bath is only used after 15 miles or more. My wife thinks is funny as I am getting in the tub and I make noises as I get it because its cold. lol

I tried an ice bath once and literally the next day I heard an interview with Meb and someone asked him if he did and he said no because it was t proven to help. So, I figured why put myself through the torture if it isn't proven to help. I do ice down my ankles after longer runs though.

ATTQOTD

Ice baths have been a must for me this summer just because I need to bring my body temperature down after running in the central Florida heat. I also like them for post race or hard run since it seems to dull the soreness enough for me to not feel stiff so that I can comfortably get a shower. If it ever gets "cold" around here I like to do a warm bath instead. I also like to add salts to both ice and warm baths.
Note: amount of ice varies based on availability and level of soreness. Sometimes it's only about 20 ice cubes in cold water. ;)

QOTD: Has your watch time ever matched your chip time for a race?

ATTQOTD: I rarely get it exact but I have been withing a second or two before. I would say I am normally withing 5-10 seconds. Never had a watch time with a faster result than the chip, which is a good thing IMO.

I think I tried it once and I didn't find it very helpful. Personally, best recovery for me is walking around and eating/drinking. Maybe some compressions if certain areas feel tight or sore.

I'm looking for advice regarding running with wet shoes/socks. My first trail marathon is Saturday in suburban Chicago and the original course is flooded up to three feet deep. The alternate 6.55 mile loop course will probably have two 30-feet sections with ankle depth water. So I'll get to slog through water 8 times.

I worried about blisters running 26 miles with wet feet. I've never run in Injinji toe socks; could they be helpful? Any other advice? I know....nothing new on race day.....Thanks!!

Last edited:
ATTQOTD: Nope. But it's been close - just depends on how well I managed to press the start button at the time I crossed the start mat.

I'm looking for advise regarding running with wet shoes/socks. My first trail marathon is Saturday in suburban Chicago and the original course is flooded up to three feet deep. The alternate 6.55 mile loop course will probably have two 30-feet sections with ankle depth water. So I'll get to slog through water 8 times.

I worried about blisters running 26 miles with wet feet. I've never run in Injinji toe socks; could they be helpful? Any other advise? I know....nothing new on race day.....Thanks!!
I run in monsoon-like rain a lot here in FL and have never had a blister due to rain (only blister I've had was thanks to buddy-taping a broken toe), so it may just be that my feet aren't susceptible to blistering in the first place. I don't do anything special: I wear the same SmartWool socks I always wear for running and I use 2 Toms SportShield roll-on on a couple spots I know might be prone to friction, which I do for all long runs. Then I embrace the wet, splash through every puddle, and have fun! If you have a spot to keep them (pocket? Pouch?), it wouldn't be a terrible idea to bring a dry pair of extra socks in a Ziploc, just in case you want a switch mid-race.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter