The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: I’m a lady of leisure. Yeah right, LOL! I do not work outside of the home, but I run our household from top to bottom, have a DS with Autism (he’s high functioning, but requires more attention than your typical 15yo) and may be adding part time homeschooler to the list. My running schedule is somewhat flexible, but I prefer to run in the morning. I suck at getting it done in the afternoon and I’m dead by the time evening comes.

ATTQOTD: Although project management is mostly a desk job, many of the people I interact with are local and I prefer discussing with them face-to-face so I am stading up often. I have the possibility of running (and showering) at lunch and the organization is supportive so it is a common practice. I like that my current position allows for a good personal/professional life equilibrium and prefer to keep it like that.

That said, many of my colleagues, myself included, ended up with ergonomically induced pains before we learned to adjust our chair/desk/keyboard/screen etc properly. It is an easy adjustment that can really save everyone back/shoulders/neck/wrists. Take care!

ATTQOTD: Newly retired and loving every minute of it!

On an unrelated topic: Dear Chip or Dale (I didn't see your nose, so not sure), please move out of our garage.

We keep a small trash can in the garage to collect vegetable trimmings to compost. I went out this evening to put something in it and saw a brown lump at the bottom. I thought it was a coffee filter with grounds. I was pretty surprised (as was the chipmunk) when I picked the can up and out jumped a chipmunk! We both almost wet our pants, except he wasn't wearing any.

Last edited:

ATTQOTD: I’m a stay at home mom but I still substitute teach at the school I used to teach at at least once a week. Most of my sitting is in the car during carpool, etc. I run when I can but it’s pretty much based on my kids schedules.

@SarahDisney - I recently bought a pack of Goodwipes to use to help clean off if I’m not able to shower after my run. It seemed to have worked so far for me.

My pay is 9-month teacher but I don't have a classroom anymore, nor do I teach students. I have an office job. There are weeks I may not see my office, though, do to being in the schools helping the teachers so that they can better help their students. Therefore, I have days where I'm at my desk and I have to make a point to get up and move. Other days, I'm getting in my steps no problem because I've visited 3 or more schools. On the whole, I don't think it affects my training. With the weather and and season change, my runs are now in the afternoons with the occasional "lunch" run if I can swing it. My position can be very flexible which certainly helps me to get my runs in unless I'm stuck in meetings. (I typically only get invited to the ones that have mad parents and therefore the meetings last 3+ hours).

ATTQOTD
Yesterday??: fall has arrived which is the best running whether here in Arizona. Mornings are around high 50’s to low 60’s.

My job as Nurse case manager is a very fast paced hospital has me on my feet 70% of my day. I self schedule my 4 / 10hr shifts a week. If I have worked 3 shifts in a row then running a long run on my first day off can be hard because my body is tired.

I have a desk job so some days don’t manage to get much movement. Some people in my area have adjustable desks but they don’t appeal to me (and rarely get used by the people who kicked up s fuss to get them!) i probably have a 5 minute walk from our work car park to the office do that helps.

We have showers I can use at the office if I ever go out for lunch time runs.

And Auckland Marathin update, rain is still forecast but three days out my Garmin gave me some good news:

25A92402-B740-4D2D-9ECA-0C2B357D7D8E.jpeg

I’ve enjoyed the taper this week but can feel myself starting to get antsy! Looking forward to Sunday!!

ATTQOTD: Desk job for me, although I take care to get up and move around a lot, including a 15 minute walk in the morning, and until a couple weeks ago, I used my lunch hour to walk as well. But now I am running at work every day at lunch instead.

ATTQOTD: Desk job. M-F 9-10 hour days. Running in morning is not optional due to early start to my day. I have to run at night and I refuse to miss my only chance at two hours with my child, so I'm always exhausted mentally and physically prior to my night runs after I've tucked her in. But I soldier on. Honestly, the biggest thing that zaps me (beside stress) is that I sometimes (ok, many times) just can't eat breakfast or lunch. Or I forget to. And so I eat heavily for dinner from being hungry. And then I run on a full stomach. I know it's not ideal and I have to fix it, but I'm balancing a lot of plates right now!

Hello marathoner, you are amazing.

ATTQOTD: I teach. I’m on my feet all day. I stand more than I walk and I think that takes more of a toll than just walking all day. I’m dealing with plantar fasciitis right now and the standing makes it almost unbearable. It’s impacted my W&D training since standing all day makes my feet hurt much worse than just walking.
Not to mention, the floors are usually concrete with hard tile on top.

QOTD: Taking the easy way out for todays question. What is everyones running plans this weekend?

ATTQOTD: I need to run today and tomorrow at a min of 3 miles each. Saturday I am helping a friend put on a 5k and I've been told I am going to be front bike guy. Looks like I need to learn the course. Since I am doing that Saturday my long run will be on Sunday and I am somehow supposed to get 16-17 miles in. Prayers would be appreciated!

This week we have the following folks with races:

27 - @YawningDodo - Scheels Great Pumpkin Run 5k (Finish / N/A)
27 - @BFD - 20th Annual Rotary Club of Celebration Pancake 10k (NG / N/A)
28 - @gjramsey - Houston Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
28 - @McNs - Auckland Marathon (3:40:00 / N/A)
28 - @BikeFan - Marine Corps Marathon (4:00:00 / N/A)
28 - @derekleigh - White Mountain Milers Half Marathon (1:59:59 / N/A)

Best of luck this week folks! If you would like to make a change to your race or goals, just let me know. If anyone would like to add a race let me know and I will add it to the OP ASAP. Have a great weekend and I look forward to hearing how everyones race went!

QOTD: Taking the easy way out for todays question. What is everyones running plans this weekend?
ATTQOTD: Easy question - not so easy answer! On paper, I've got 16 on deck Saturday. In reality, I'm in the middle of trying to find a new shoe that works: if the shoe I'm trying works, 16 it'll be! If not, as far as I can get, I guess? Ugh. I'll send you good thoughts @LSUlakes if you'll send some this way, too, lol! #wevegotthis #Ihope

ATTQOTD:
3 miles tonight and 12 miles sometime this weekend.

I have to work like 1-2 Saturdays per year and I have to work this Saturday... so I am not sure when that 12 miler will be, which I hate. Do I get up at 3:30am on Saturday and run before I go into work? Run after I get done? Try to run tomorrow night? I don't really want to run on Sunday, but that might happen too... But nevertheless, it WILL happen.

ATTQOTD:
3 miles tonight and 12 miles sometime this weekend.

I have to work like 1-2 Saturdays per year and I have to work this Saturday... so I am not sure when that 12 miler will be, which I hate. Do I get up at 3:30am on Saturday and run before I go into work? Run after I get done? Try to run tomorrow night? I don't really want to run on Sunday, but that might happen too... But nevertheless, it WILL happen.
I hate running after work. More often than not, at least when I try to do long runs after work, I either don’t eat enough during the day and crash during my run or eat too much garbage and avoid running so I am not booting all over the trail.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter