The Running Thread - 2019

ATTQOTD: While I would never consider myself to have "mastered" any race distance, I think ultras are a way to keep extending goals and reaching further. I am always looking to reach for a new level in my running and I have found myself at a crossroads recently. I'm at a point where I need to decide which way to go to progress athletically and there are three main avenues that each offer their own appeal: focus on getting faster in marathons/half marathons, extend my distance through ultras or add additional disciplines through triathlons.

At my age and with my injury history, getting faster is often painful and comes with an increased risk of injury. I can get faster, but I highly doubt I can safely reach BQ speeds, so I've shied away from this pathway a bit. I might take another couple of runs at a sub-4:00 marathon in the next year or two, but not right now.

When I ran as part of a triathlon relay last year, I was impressed with all the athletes who were out on course for 8+ hours swimming, biking AND running. That challenge is very appealing to me, but while I am confident in the running and biking aspects, I haven't been swimiming since college (has it really been almost 30 years?). I'm sure I could get there, but I don't want the time, cost and hassle of working swimming into my schedule right now, so that's been put on the back burner.

The ultra distances have allowed me to continue to push forward and reach for new levels of performance while doing what I love. They have introduced me to trail running, on which I'm firmly of a mixed opinion, and the variety of distances and customized challenges offer a near unlimited array of new experiences. I've only gone through the 50k and 50 mile distances at this point and I don't see myself pushing beyond (maybe) a 100k due to time constraints and injury concerns, but I find them very appealing and can see not getting bogged down or stagnating with them.

Answer to the Personal Update: I'm so sorry to hear that Dixie is trending downwards. I can't imagine having to make that decision and deal with the loss of the family member. Our bulldog is DWs "only child" and is 9.5yo. I am dreading the day we have to say goodbye to him and the toll it is going to take on her and we aren't facing anything nearly as imminent as you are!

@LSUlakes first, I'm very sorry to hear your Dixie update. I know how hard it is. Hang in there. :hug:

ATTQOTD: I think ultras are getting a lot more media attention and coverage these days - I imagine that has to contribute to their rising popularity.

Another idea for future QOTDs: wildlife sightings while running. (Inspired by the huge Great Horned Owl I saw last night, and the ensuing family conversation about animals we've seen in our neighborhood over the years.)

ATTQOTD: I agree with other who have said that it is because people are pushing themselves further and trying to see what they can do.

@LSUlakes I am so sorry to hear about Dixie. I will be keeping y'all in my thoughts and prayers.

ATTQOTD: a marathon is so daunting already, I can’t imagine running an ultra. A friend’s husband is training for his first ultra having not even raced a half marathon! His only other experience is high school track and general running. After starting his training, he’s converted from a 50miler to a 50k. I do wonder if this is a little bit of a mid-life crisis thing for him, better than getting a sports car!

@LSUlakes - I’m so sorry about Dixie

Personal Update:

Our dog, Dixie, is taking a turn for the worse and this morning was a hard one. Poor thing has almost zero control of her bladder and she's having a hard time walking in the mornings. Today she was very afraid of something and was just barking at nothing while having her tail tucked between her legs. We haven't made any final decisions yet, but I fear she wont make it much longer. I am struggling with my want to keep her and not be selfish, but I hate to see her suffer, which is believe she is at this point.

I’m so sorry. That is a rough place to be in. Know she loves you no matter what.

Personal Update:

Our dog, Dixie, is taking a turn for the worse and this morning was a hard one. Poor thing has almost zero control of her bladder and she's having a hard time walking in the mornings. Today she was very afraid of something and was just barking at nothing while having her tail tucked between her legs. We haven't made any final decisions yet, but I fear she wont make it much longer. I am struggling with my want to keep her and not be selfish, but I hate to see her suffer, which is believe she is at this point.
I am so sorry. We lost one of our dogs in October. Hardest decision I have ever made. I kept second guessing. It was the worst day ever. Afterwards, I knew it was the right decision, and felt good that she was at peace. Sending you and your pup lots of hugs!

QOTD: While the racing bubble may have popped, why do you think ultras are gaining in popularity now?

First sorry about your dog. We kept one of ours alive a little too long because we were hesitant to pull the trigger and looking back regret it. You'll know if it is time.

I think we are seeing four things at play.

The first is that participation in Ultras was low compared to road racing so seeing a large increase isn't hard. If you have 10 people doing something all you need is 10 more for a 100% increase.

The second is that you are seeing some of the big events covered more in the mainstream media or at least the mainstream running media. In the last few years The Barkley Marathons, Western States, Hard Rock, and MdMB have all gotten more coverage than in the past and when events get covered they get more participation. Maybe not the specific events but other ultra events.

Third, I think that the popularity of obstacle racing has helped. You have people watching that coverage and while they might not want to throw spears and turn tires they can get the more difficult running in an ultra.

And lastly, you had a lot of people who "could never run a marathon" that have. Those same people may be looking towards the next challenge. Some will go to triathlon, some maybe century bike rides, and still others the next race distance, the 50k.

Last edited:

ATTQOTD: I don’t know. I have no desire to run one myself! This decline in popularity for other races sure does make it easier to register for them!

Personal Update:

I’m so sorry. Hugs to you. I’ve been there, and it’s so hard. You’ll know when it’s time.

Our dog, Dixie, is taking a turn for the worse...

Sorry to hear this. We had to make that decision with 2 18 year old cats several years ago.

Do what's right for her, not you. I don't know if this is an option for you (or even a good thing), but we had it done at home.

Peace

ATTQOTD: Are ultras gaining in popularity or are we just hearing about them more (media)? Are most ultras trail races?? I haven't heard of any road ultras. I haven't attempted one myself yet, but I may try a 50K at some point. Currently I haven't run more than 6 miles on trails, which is challenging enough, but that will change this summer when I run my first trail half.

Sorry to hear about Dixie @LSUlakes.

QOTD: While the racing bubble may have popped, why do you think ultras are gaining in popularity now?

A few reasons, some of which have been mentioned already. One, people who strive for the next challenge find ultras to be a logical progression from a marathon and to be less time consuming and less expensive than an Ironman, another popular "next challenge." Two, most ultras are more casual and friendlier than the typical marathon, with lots of camaraderie and support found among the runners right from the start. Sure, there's competition at the pointy end, but there's also always someone to walk with and talk with as you make your way along. Three, many are held on trails which can be less physically taxing than running on concrete or asphalt, not counting the technical trails which are often either straight up or straight down.

@LSUlakes - sorry to hear about Dixie. This is the hardest part of having pets. As painful as it is, I know you'll do the right thing for her.

ATTQOTD: Are ultras gaining in popularity or are we just hearing about them more (media)? Are most ultras trail races?? I haven't heard of any road ultras. I haven't attempted one myself yet, but I may try a 50K at some point. Currently I haven't run more than 6 miles on trails, which is challenging enough, but that will change this summer when I run my first trail half.

Most ultras are trail races, but not all. The biggest and oldest ultra in the world is Comrades, and it's run entirely on roads. Two others I can think of off the top of my head are Cowtown and the new Marine Corps 50k starting this year.

I think that another thing that is driving up participation in ultras is the change in the races themselves. Ultras have typically been very minimalist. The people who participated and the people who put on most of the events were bare bones people, so the events were bare bones events. The events are maturing, and attracting a whole new group of people. I have friends who have recently begun their ultra careers simply because the races are better organized, with better resources and support. The better organized ultras have always done well.

ATTQOTD: I agree with everything that’s been posted already. I’ve never ran an ultra, but I have a lot of experience spectating. My husband ran his first ultra in 2014 just a few months after his first marathon. He was looking for the next challenge and it was on a trail he frequents. He definitely prefers trails over road and I do think that has prevented injuries. He’s also made some good friends in the ultra world. The community as a whole is very supportive, I find some jerks of course, but for the most part everyone is really cool. I’ve hung out at a few aid stations and it’s like a big party, so I can see why people try one and then keep going back. I crewed him last month and had a blast, so I’m planning on doing it a few more times this spring. I might get around to actually run one sometime.

@LSUlakes I’m so sorry to hear about Dixie. We went through this in December. It was so hard leading up to it, but there was no question it was time. It was very sad, but I was at peace knowing it was the best thing to do.

@LSUlakes - sorry to hear about Dixie. Here is hoping for a few more good memories together!

ATTQOTD: I have never been to one, but I have a few friends who have, and the impression I get is its a much more social atmosphere with a tighter community, and that is a big plus to my friends.

Personal Update:

I'm sorry to hear this. Its so hard as a pet owner to have to consider these types of decisions. I'll be thinking about you.

ATTQOTD: I'd agree with what's been posted. I remember being at a marketing event with the people behind either Spartan or Tough Mudder. The attributed much of their success to the growth in social media. People didn't want to just challenge themselves they wanted to challenge themselves doing something that they could brag about on social media. Ultra Marathons are enough out of the mainstream that they make a great brag/humble brag. I think that coupled with the rise in Marathon runners that are now looking for something new, has spurned the growth in the number of Ultra's. I think that growth has made them more accessible resulting in even more people running them.

Personal Update:

I'm really sorry to hear that. Those decisions are really difficult and it seems like there are no right decisions.

Sorry to hear about Dixie @LSUlakes.
The only one I can think of is Badwater.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter