The Running Thread - 2019

QOTD: With some interesting weather unfolding this week and into the weekend and the suggestion from someone in this group, what is the craziest weather you have ever run in?

Coldest was -30F wind chill
Hottest was T+D of 177 (95F + 82 dew point; with feels like of 119)

Got caught in a lightning storm once and that was not fun. I could feel the booms of the lightning in my chest like I were viewing city-type level fireworks from right underneath. I felt as if I could see the strikes all around me. It was super scary.

5/7/2016 Wisconsin Marathon was a literal flipped switch:

And then something crazy happened. They began to sing the national anthem. Oh, that's not the crazy part... At the beginning of the song it was legitimately 66 and no wind. By the end of the song, it was mid-50s and 20mph wind. It was a literal flipping of a switch and we went from practically nothing to full on Northern winds real quick. I lined up and off we went.

But the craziest might have been 3/24/16:

Well that went down as the strangest run I've ever been a part of...

-Light snow all day
-Wind was about 15-20mph
-Ice pelleting at the beginning of the run. I couldn't even look upwards comfortably without being pelleted in the face.
-Then the sun came out and started to melt the snow on the road.
-Then shoes got soaked in puddles.
-Then clouds came out and wind picked up and turned the puddles to ice.
-Then the roads were covered in robins (the birds) because presumably they didn't want to be in ice covered trees.
-Then I saw an accident between two cars (no worries everyone was fine). Likely caused by the ice...
-Then a neighborhood kid was climbing the back of a basketball hoop because he got his football stuck in a frozen net. Stopped and helped him out so that he didn't hurt himself. I'm not even sure what he was thinking of trying. Remember it's not just a basketball hoop pole, it's a pole covered in ice?!?!?!
-Then a huge F-350 truck starts to pass me from behind and low-and-behold a baby is driving with hands on the wheel. REMEMBER ICE, LIKE EVERYWHERE?!?!?! That's when I just said to myself, what the heck is going on out here!!!

QOTD: With some interesting weather unfolding this week and into the weekend and the suggestion from someone in this group, what is the craziest weather you have ever run in?

A month or so ago when we had air temps of -28 and wind chills between -55 - -50 I went for a run. That is the most extreme weather I've ever run it. Definitely been caught in a few thunderstorms I thought I was going to beat, but clearly didn't.

The better late than never QOTD: With some interesting weather unfolding this week and into the weekend and the suggestion from someone in this group, what is the craziest weather you have ever run in?
ATTQOTD: On paper, I'd say a couple of named storms: technically strong enough to be a tropical storm, but at the particular time and place I was running, the wind wasn't dangerous - but the rain was coming down so hard, the sidewalks were under a couple inches of water, lol! But it's the summer thunderstorms here in FL that I think are craziest. The one early last summer that came out of nowhere (I always check radar before heading out!) was memorable... I was 2 miles from home when I saw the clouds start turning ugly, and a mile from home still when it really let loose. Naturally, I was in the middle of a block with NO shelter at all, so I decided I was safer from lightning if I was moving and sprinted to the first building I could reach. I found a covered patio and backed myself deep into one of its corners just before I heard the loudest crack of thunder I've ever heard, while simultaneously I watched a bolt of lightning touch down across the street. I squated down in my corner and called home for someone to come get me... in the 5-10 mins that took, the road had flooded and my mother couldn't get all the way to where I was sheltering, so I waited for the next crack of thunder to pass, then ran as fast as I could to where she was in the road. It was NUTS!

ATTQOTD: I have run in a pretty wide variety of weather, but I draw the line at snow and ice. I think the craziest was probably my first ever 13.1 mile training run. It rained sideways the entire time and I have never been so soaked in my life.

ATTQOTD: Two runs I would deem my craziest in terms of weather.

1. Visiting my in-laws in Michigan. It was 0 deg F and several inches of unshoveled but packed snow on the sidewalk. My run took about an hour, and my eyelashes and cheeks and chin had ice crystals all over them when I finished. The tube to my water reservoir froze in about 10 minutes, so I couldn't drink the water, and the whole 50 oz was frozen solid when I was done. That run didn't feel too bad - more like an adventure - I had layers and I stayed dry.

2. Last November: just barely freezing and 1 - 2 inches of snow in the morning. Weather transitioned to sleet, and then to rain as the temp increased to about 37 F. I had a speedwork run at the track in the dark that evening. There was a layer of slush 1 - 2 inches thick that soaked my feet in a few steps. A drizzle throughout. The wind was blowing so hard that I nearly lost my baseball cap a few times. That run sucked.

ATTQOTD: I gotta go with the Santa Ana winds during the inaugural Avengers Half. After mile 4 I'm pretty sure I just looked down at my feet the whole race. I didn't have sunglasses with me and that was the only way to keep stuff from blowing in my eyes.

ATTQOTD: Coldest...below 0 several times in January in Chicago. Hottest...above 115 a couple of years ago in Kuwait City, Kuwait and in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. I did the hot runs (a couple of miles each) only to say I did it and to experience that level of heat.

Last edited:
Attqotd: I’ve run in several snowstorms. The coldest I’ve run in was 4 degrees. Yesterday was the sketchiest run I’ve done, so far though. Cold weather I wasn’t totally prepared for, snow, slickrock, exposure, scrambling, jumping off ledges.

It was a fun time in Devil’s Garden.

639338B7-671D-4DE6-8696-0C920E67BA91.jpeg 5DAF09C6-485B-4A87-B082-0DEDF46B8E4D.jpegTunnel Arch C778870D-318D-450A-8B06-614BAD599EC3.jpegLandscape Arch 075699B8-1354-4264-8A6A-C92D0577FA06.jpeg The trail up. 88B40B2E-FC4E-4A4A-A99D-0243FCA88E59.jpeg More exposure. Not serious, but a definite injury if you fall.E9FE6DDA-AD86-4EF4-B487-2AF108D68260.jpegDouble O Arch. 60D544EE-28D6-44DD-8F5D-5667F3E08B93.jpegDark Angel. That’s the name of the rock, too. ECFDB542-326F-42B7-8DDD-098B3325F07A.jpeg Navajo Arch47AEC6CE-8417-45DC-B16D-8B7883B77ECA.jpeg FE1946FE-9E02-4816-9EB7-6B0CE4599842.jpegThe trail back down.

8.3 miles, 1000 feet of vert. One moderately rolled ankle, and the realization that I hate my new hydration pack. It takes too much work to drink from it when I am sucking wind.

ATTQOTD: Probably the Wine and Dine Half 2014. I’m a baby when it comes to cold and/or rain so unless it’s forced because I paid for it, I’m not going out. I had a free entry into Shamrock half in 2017, but I was undertrained and planned on just winging it. Once I saw the weather report, I dropped. DH ran the full in the rain, sleet, wind and sand storms while I sat and ate breakfast indoors.

Good luck to everyone running Shamrock this weekend!!! I’ll be cheering at the finish line! The weather looks great for both days!

Also, good luck to @camaker at Badwater Saturday!

It was, and really happy I did it. I’m REALLY happy I took my soft shell pants with me since I didn’t bring any of my other cold weather gear. I got a few questions and even more quizzical looks. A few spots were “primitive trail” and I lost the trail a few times and had to back track. Ended up on a couple of cliff faces I did not intend on being on, but all in all it was a blast.

Last edited:
The better late than never QOTD: With some interesting weather unfolding this week and into the weekend and the suggestion from someone in this group, what is the craziest weather you have ever run in?

ATTQOTD: I for one love extreme weather. I usually draw the line with lightning though. The worse run I went out for was 38, windy and raining. It's the coldest I've ever been on a run, and I ran it much faster than I had planned that day. Running in the snow was a highlight for me!

It was a lightning storm. I kept a close eye on it to see how close it was getting but I could see nothing but lightning the whole 5 mile run.

I ran for the first time today since 12/7/18. It was rough. I only did 3 miles. I’m sure the biking I have been doing helped but I am nowhere near running shape. I’m sore. :teeth: The bad news, my ankles hurt for portions of the run so the 3 months off didn’t help at all. The good news is, the ankle braces I bought are very comfortable while running, as much as a brace can be that is.

The weather is supposed to be good here Saturday so I plan to do another 3 on Saturday and as long as the weather stays good I will keep running outside.

The chance to run outside came at a good time. My grandmother died on Tuesday. She was 101 so it wasn’t a “surprise” but she had been healthy up until Sunday. She went into a coma Monday and she died on Tuesday.

While I always expected it at any minute it still stressed me out this week so having the ability to finally run today really helped relax me. It just felt so good to be out there breathing the fresh air and working up a sweat. When I first started my body was so tight from head to toe. By the end I felt great.

ATTQOTD worst conditions: I ran in snowstorms and in pouring rain, I ran in Florida in August, I ran at high altitude, I ran on ice covered sidewalk and in sub zero temperatures getting all frosty. But the one time I remember, even if not the most extreme, is my very first race, a 10k: It was the first warm weather of the year, nobody was used to it and we got a high heat warning! I consider that I managed that race well including my one and only visit to a medical tent: I passed the finish line, walked in and asked if they could help cooling my body temperature.

ATTQOTD: My worst race condition was the Peachtree Road Race 10K on July 4th a few years ago. 60,000 runners, 20+ corrals and I was somewhere around G-H. A huge thunderstorm came up and the race director evacuated the finish line at Piedmont Park (DH texted me he was waiting for me in The Tavern); they evacuated the start line into Lennox Square Mall and Phipps Plaza ( DS and DIL went there); and I was somewhere in the middle of the course. I shouted to a volunteer, “What am I supposed to do?” His answer, “Run faster!” I was terrified, I ran faster, and the lightning let up just as I finished.

@Waiting2goback sorry about your grandmother. I know she lived a long life, but the stress in the family is still real. Glad you are running again, but don’t overdo it. Build back slowly with plenty of rest days!

In the last 2 years alone I have run in every weather extreme that exists on the planet, from minus 20+ with snow and wind to 110+ in the desert, from mountains to jungles. I travel with work, and I run, so I run in the conditions present. The only time I will not run - icy roads and thunderstorms.

The strangest running conditions, for me, are the heavy downpours when running trails. The trails themselves become streams, and creeks that you have to cross become raging torrents. It is fun if you embrace it, but it presents challenges that are hard to prepare for.

I hate running on dreadmills, so I'll take the elements every time - even when they present challenges.

Trying to catch up...again! Lol

No inserts for me. Thankfully I haven’t experienced any PF yet or other foot trouble. Ghosts in wide are my go to shoe right now. I’m trying to love the current model, hoping the next ones are more like the ones before these current ones. I can’t seem to keep all the numbers straight! o_O

Ultras are something I can’t wrap my mind around. I’ve only been running about a year and a half, so most things are new to me. Kudos to those who have accomplished that goal, or even who have set that as a goal for themselves!

I haven’t run in anything close to as extreme as what others have described here. My proudest running moment was completing the Too Cold too Hold 10K in Dallas this February in damp low 30’s with a feels like temp of 28 degrees. For me, a large part of the weather struggle is being appropriately dressed. I once heard that there’s no bad weather, just bad preparation for the weather. Except of course the lightning! That’s nothing to play around with!!

@LSUlakes sorry for the hard decisions you have facing you with Dixie.

@Waiting2goback hugs for your loss.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter