The Running Thread - 2019

@LSUlakes @Waiting2goback I'm sorry for what you're going through.

My most extreme weather was the run in -14*F last month. That was the first time I got out and ran while it was truly cold, and the first time I got out and ran when there was snow on the ground. They plow the trail at the park and along the river, but there was just enough powder on it that morning that on my second lap around the park I was struck by the fact that my footprints were the only footprints apart from one dog walker--no one else was out, when normally I see half a dozen runners if I'm out there that long.

For me, a large part of the weather struggle is being appropriately dressed. I once heard that there’s no bad weather, just bad preparation for the weather.
I think that proper dress is true, but only when talking about running in the cold. You can dress for runs in extreme cold. It truly is all about the gear, and understanding how to dress for particular cold conditions.

The heat is another story. It is still about preparation, but it is more about knowing yourself and listening to your body. Heat + Humidity = slower runs, but those slower runs can be even more beneficial to our fitness than the much faster runs in cooler months.

Those of us who have to transition through all extremes every year ride a roller coaster.

Not so much extreme weather (that I posted yesterday) but the most extreme course conditions for the length of the race was my first and only (trail) marathon. I discussed it in a trip report last fall; because of flooding the marathon course was changed to four loops and the loop included several hundred yards of ankle to shin deep water. The temps were in the high 30's / low 40's and running 26 miles in very wet feet just added to the challenge.

ATTQOTD: Mine aren't nearly as impressive as everyone else's...but I did a tempo run during Tropical Storm Gordon last September which was quite foolish because of course I didn't hit any target paces while battling those wind gusts and rain off the ocean (we were at the beach on vacation). The second was a half fittingly called the Red Nose Half with wind chill in the single digits (that's really, really cold to this Southern girl. LOL).

I think that proper dress is true, but only when talking about running in the cold. You can dress for runs in extreme cold. It truly is all about the gear, and understanding how to dress for particular cold conditions.

The heat is another story. It is still about preparation, but it is more about knowing yourself and listening to your body. Heat + Humidity = slower runs, but those slower runs can be even more beneficial to our fitness than the much faster runs in cooler months.

Those of us who have to transition through all extremes every year ride a roller coaster.

I can't agree with this more. I said yesterday that the most extreme run was the downpour I couldn't outrun, but that actually felt great. My actual most extreme run was a 97F (heat index 109) full sun afternoon last summer. That has to be the hardest running there is, the level of effort and overall feeling is of the hardest runs you have ever run, and yet you don't have anything to show for it as far as pace goes until fall arrives months later.

This week we have the following folks with races:

14 - @KevM - Pi Day 5K Philadelphia (31.41 / N/A)
16 - @Nole95 - Run to the Pub Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
16 - KevM - Conshy Classic 5K (NG/ N/A)
16 - @tigger536 - Yuengling Shamrock 8K (NG / N/A)
16 - @CDKG - St. Paddy’s Day Half (2:31:12 / N/A)
16 - @ZellyB - Shamrox 15K (NG / N/A)
16 - @Chris-Mo - Shamrox 15K (NG / N/A)
17 - tigger536 - Yuengling Shamrock Marathon (NG / N/A)
17 - @KSellers88 - Asheville Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
17 - @avondale - Virginia Beach Marathon (4:35:00 / N/A)
17 - @BikeFan - Shamrock Marathon (3:24:59 / N/A)
17 - @Bree - Excalibur 10 Miler (1:34:59 / N/A)
17 - @camaker - Badwater Cape Fear 51.4m/50k (Finish 51.4m/Finish 50k)

Best of luck to each of you this weekend! If you have a revised goal, let me know and I will adjust ASAP. I look forward to hearing about how your race went!

Update on our pup:

This morning was a bad morning for her. It is obvious to us that it is her time. Tonight the dog eats steak, she had french fries on our way back from the vet and hung her little puppy head out the window as happy as can be. Going for best day ever! type of deal for her. I just hope I can keep it together for the kids this afternoon.

@LSUlakes - I’m so sorry about your dog! I had a dog to die on us unexpectedly and one where we made the decision to put him to sleep. It’s heartbreaking either way. I was a mess both times and I wasn’t able to keep it together in front of them. Hope it’s a great day with her!

Update on our pup:

This morning was a bad morning for her. It is obvious to us that it is her time. Tonight the dog eats steak, she had french fries on our way back from the vet and hung her little puppy head out the window as happy as can be. Going for best day ever! type of deal for her. I just hope I can keep it together for the kids this afternoon.
Steak and French Fries sounds like the best day ever for her!

Update on our pup:

I'm so sorry! I'm sure everyday with you guys has been the best day ever for her! Hugs.

@LSUlakes - So sorry to hear about your pup. Our Roxy is having similar issues, but thankfully not as far along as yours, yet. My heart truly goes out to you and wish you and your family all the best.

Attqotd: I’ve run in several snowstorms. The coldest I’ve run in was 4 degrees. Yesterday was the sketchiest run I’ve done, so far though. Cold weather I wasn’t totally prepared for, snow, slickrock, exposure, scrambling, jumping off ledges.

It was a fun time in Devil’s Garden.

View attachment 388194 View attachment 388193Tunnel Arch View attachment 388195Landscape Arch View attachment 388196 The trail up. View attachment 388197 More exposure. Not serious, but a definite injury if you fall.View attachment 388198Double O Arch. View attachment 388199Dark Angel. That’s the name of the rock, too. View attachment 388200 Navajo ArchView attachment 388201 View attachment 388202The trail back down.

8.3 miles, 1000 feet of vert. One moderately rolled ankle, and the realization that I hate my new hydration pack. It takes too much work to drink from it when I am sucking wind.

So awesome! My husband and I hiked in Arches and Canyonland a few summers ago. Love the red rocks. DH is not a runner, so it was all walking pace, not anything near a running gait. I can imagine that that would be hazardous!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!