The Running Thread - 2019

I ran the Ocean Road 10k in October 2017. I hoped to PR and break 60 min. I did sign up for a summer training plan over the summer, but just didn’t follow through.

I PRd, but came in at 1:00:41.

It’s still my official PR (though I apparently broke 60 min in a 10 miler and a half). But I’ve definitely thought many times about going back and re-doing that race.

ATTQOTD: I’ve had two.

My first half-marathon was the Ocean City NJ Half in ‘17, which is at the end of September. I figured that would be a great time of year, the temperature should be relatively cool. I was wrong. A heat wave rolled in that weekend and the high when the race started was already in the mid-80s. I was not ready to run my first half in that heat. I’ve since redeemed myself at the ‘18 OCNJ Half.

My second was my first Marathon; last year’s Philadelphia Marathon. Somewhere between my 15-16 my right leg from the hip down to the ankle just started really bothering me. I finished the marathon but at a very slower time then I was aiming for and believe I am capable of. I’m running it again this year and plan to redeem myself.

My second was my first Marathon; last year’s Philadelphia Marathon. Somewhere between my 15-16 my right leg from the hip down to the ankle just started really bothering me. I finished the marathon but at a very slower time then I was aiming for and believe I am capable of. I’m running it again this year and plan to redeem myself.

Ooh I am seriously thinking of running Philly this year! Are you registered already?

Yesterday's ATTQOTD: I run with both an Apple Watch and a Garmin 935. Yes, I can't stick with just one. Garmin has the training load/aerobic vs anaerobic levels/VO2 max and the GPS is just a bit more accurate than the Apple Watch. On the other hand, the Apple Watch has cellular so I can listen to music and run without my phone. Also, I'm a sucker for the Apple Watch rings...

Today's ATTQOTD: My only marathon was not the best experience and I definitely want to do better, but going back to the LA marathon isn't that important. I just want to run another marathon, anywhere, to try and improve my time.

QOTD: Yesterday afternoon I had thought of a really great question, and of course I did not write it down and forgot it lol. So instead I offer this question. Is there a race you have done where you didn't have your best day or had not properly trained and would like another try at it? If so what is the race and is it likely you will be able to try it again?

ATTQOTD: Yes. The race is called the Bear 5 Miler in North Carolina. I ran it while I was at that running camp I went to. Unfortunately I was not in great running shape so I did not have a great run that day. The race is all up hill, its literally running up a mountain. So I was at a disadvantage with not being in great running shape, hills, and being at elevation. While I would love to give that race another try, I doubt I will have the opportunity to go back.

There are a few races I would like another crack at to see if I could improve but the only real race that I call my “redemption race” is the BAA 10k. I have run it 4 years in a row and have yet to be able to give it my best effort. The first year I ran to help someone and she didn’t train (well documented on these threads :rolleyes:). The second year I ran it on my torn tendon just before my surgery so my training was’t the best. The third year I was recovering from the surgery so I was nowhere near ready for my best effort. Last year I ran it with my girlfriend to help her get through her first race. I am signed up this year and I am trying to get myself ready to walk it since I can’t run. I want to try and walk it at a reasonable pace, I don’t want to be last person off the course.

I agree with this. After I had 4 or 5 half marathons under my belt and learned a lot more about running, I came to believe that I could finish a marathon. However, long training runs for half marathons made me question if I actually wanted to run a marathon.

2018 San Francisco Giant Race. My first non runDisney event, so I knew I had a good chance at a PR. Training went fine, but a variety of life circumstances piled up especially in the last 2 weeks before the race leaving me both mentally and physically spent on race day. I ended up having to death march the race over the last 10 miles or so. Still got that PR, but felt like I had failed for a few days afterwards.

I suppose you could say I have a 2 part plan to avenge that race. Part 1 came at the WDW Marathon/Dopey. Mostly because I came to realize that my failures at the Giant Race became invaluable preparation for my first marathon. It exposed a lot of little things that I had been doing for years in half marathons that could have been disastrous in the marathon.

Very true. There's so much more I can learn, but I have come to believe that when you accept the learning curve and the patience that comes with figuring it out, you can have much more enjoyable races.

I struggle to balance the reality of this belief with my wondering if I can get better.

And now we come to part 2 of my above mentioned plan. I'm running the Giant Race this year and hope to have the race I dreamed of this time around through applying all the lessons I learned from last year. Then again, I also signed up for the Giant Race 5K that starts at 11:00am since it comes with a shiny new challenge medal if you finish both races, so maybe I'll need to conserve for that race.

Those are cool. Congratulations!

I still question if I want to run marathons, they are hard. But then I find myself thinking about marathons I would like to run if my ankles will let me, so I must want to still. :rolleyes1

QOTD: What is your next big running goal to accomplish?

Hmmmm...... After having final made the podium at one of my favorite races, Race The Runways, I guess my next running-related goal is to hit a 1:40 in a Triathlon Sprint.

QOTD: Since I have GPS watches on my mind, what are you currently using for tracking runs and what do you like and dislike about it?

For the last 4-5 years I've held steady with my Garmin 220. All I need a watch for during my runs is time and approx. pace, which this watch does just fine!

QOTD: Yesterday afternoon I had thought of a really great question, and of course I did not write it down and forgot it lol. So instead I offer this question. Is there a race you have done where you didn't have your best day or had not properly trained and would like another try at it? If so what is the race and is it likely you will be able to try it again?

Yes. At the 2018 Princess Weekend, I planned to race the 10K and run the half. I wanted to race the 10K because historically I had a chance to place in the top 5 for my AG. Keep in mind I travel from New England to Florida in February. Training in the heat is possible, but trying to mimic the humidity is another thing entirely. Thus I hoped it would be warm or even cold for the 10K. It wasn't.... A sub-8:00 mile is standard for me in a 10K, but on that day I could NOT run anything faster than an 8:30 mile. It was frustrating; it was almost like someone had an invisible wall that engaged once I approached the 8:30 mile.

I do plan on attempting this goal one more time in 2021.

This has been a crazy week and I haven't even signed on here since Monday. The time between now and June 30th will be even crazier, with my son's wedding to travel to, then come back and close out our fiscal year. I'm head of the purchasing department and have to make sure every purchase order is either paid or cancelled. You would think people would want to get paid but you wouldn't believe the hassle it is sometimes to get vendors to send me invoices!

Anyway, here are a couple answers to QOTD: Goal is to actually start running again. I have a Garmin Vivoactive which I love but want to upgrade to the 3/3 music. And the race I felt I did the worst at was the one I PR'd in so I guess I don't need a do over?

In 2015 I signed up for the Seven Bridges Marathon in Chattanooga. This was after completing Goofy. Despite the perfect weather that morning, I was very undertrained for the race. I was pretty much gassed by mile 10, and it was the struggle bus from there. Worst marathon I have run, and not a really fun experience. Not sure I would do that race again, but it did teach me some lessons to always be properly trained for a race.

I run with both an Apple Watch and a Garmin 935. Yes, I can't stick with just one. Garmin has the training load/aerobic vs anaerobic levels/VO2 max and the GPS is just a bit more accurate than the Apple Watch. On the other hand, the Apple Watch has cellular so I can listen to music and run without my phone. Also, I'm a sucker for the Apple Watch rings...

Some of the garmin watches have music on them now as well... $$$

The time between now and June 30th will be even crazier, with my son's wedding to travel to, then come back and close out our fiscal year.

Congrats on your son's wedding and best of luck with work. I just wrapped up a few crazy months and have been on cruise control for the last week.

It's Finally FRIDAY! Which can mean only one thing, it's time for our Fun Friday QOTD: Earlier this week someone suggested to post our worse and best race photos, so lets see what you got!

ATTQOTD: IMG_1408.jpg Image-1.jpeg

So I had to borrow one of my text. First picture sums up how I felt about this years WDW marathon, and the second one... well sometimes you just need a beer to celebrate being halfway finished a marathon, while also making it on the news lol.

@canglim52 good luck tomorrow. You have had an awesome training cycle. I hope you crush it. Hope the weather holds out for you.

FYI I booked a room for Boston, near the finish looking for convenience. Wow holy disney prices. The Westin is not cheap. I will look if any packages become available but i wanted to secure a room that i can cancel if needed.

FYI I booked a room for Boston, near the finish looking for convenience. Wow holy disney prices. The Westin is not cheap. I will look if any packages become available but i wanted to secure a room that i can cancel if needed.

I stayed there for 2013 marathon and it was nice but we had it at a discounted rate through the charity I was running for. In 2014 we wanted to stay a little further away just in case something happened again. I had a lot of trouble getting to the Westin in 2013. We stayed at the Buckminster (spelling could be off). It wasn't great, but I didn't dislike it either. It's not far from the finish and on the route of the marathon. From our room we could see the ballpark from one window and the marathon route out the other. There's also a Popeye's near it that has the best fried chicken and service I have ever had from that chain, and I live in Louisiana. Also the bar at the hotel has green monster IPA, which I was a big fan of.

@LSUlakes thanks for the tip. i am going to look around more, but i wanted to know i had something. The big issue is right now i am not sure if DH is coming with. Mallory (the dog) is struggling. She is 13ish (rescue but had her 11 years) and has been in the cart for the last 5 years. She is a big dog, German Shepherd Great Pyrenees mix. She can't put a lot of weight on her front any more and she has a pressure sore, since Jan, and it is just getting bigger not better. I am not sure she will still be here come the end of summer, but if she is still here (and i hope she is if she is happy) DH will have to stay home to take care of her.

So i guess since i am whining prayers and pixie dust for the dog. I can't complain she completely outlived her diagnosis, and at this point it is old age not that mommy can't take care of her. I am allowed to be devastated though. However our other dog, i thought for a whole year it was his time so she might make it to Boston. She actually came with to Chicago. She had a great time and got lots of attention. i would bring her to Boston but that is a ridiculously long car ride.

It's Finally FRIDAY! Which can mean only one thing, it's time for our Fun Friday QOTD: Earlier this week someone suggested to post our worse and best race photos, so lets see what you got!

WDWRUNDISNEY_WDWMARACOURSEACTION23_20170423_8015720681.jpg

Not sure I have any I like particularly, but this one summed up the 2017 Dark Side Half for me. Undertrained, overweight, slow, overheated, and just completely done.

Love reading about everyone's not-perfect races, very inspirational!

ATTQOTD: I tend not to purchase the bad pictures - ha! I do love my Tinkerbell pics (see avatar). It was my 2nd half and I was thrilled with all the support and spectators (and running through DL of course) and had a huge grin plastered on my face. I actually bought all of the pics!

I asked @Wendy98 for advice and she recommended using BAA's https://www.marathontours.com/races/boston-marathon-384/hotels but they have specific cancellation policies. We ended up booking a suite to bring the kids along since this will be my only Boston. We tried to get one at the chute, but it sold out the day it opened. It's actually become a huge family thing since DH is also bringing our moms. My brother and his partner live in NY so they'll probably take the train out. And now my SIL and her husband might come since they have friends in Boston one of whom runs it every year.

I'm sorry to her about Mallory. Lots of cuddles and steaks for her!

ATTQOTD: I’ve had two.
My first half-marathon was the Ocean City NJ Half in ‘17, which is at the end of September.

That was almost my first half marathon too! Same race, same year. I say almost because I didn't realize the half and the 5k started from different streets and was confused by the fact the 5k people also had bibs which said "half marathon" on them, so accidentally ran the 5k instead. Small world! Ended up running the hands on house half marathon the next weekend just because I wanted to get that official half time.

Answer to YDQOTD:
2019 Dopey was redemption for the 2018 Disney marathon. 2018 was my first marathon, only the 2nd time I'd ever run in Florida and it did not go well. I twisted my knee at the 11 mile mark and I did not realize that the med tents had pain medicine until around mile 20, so I hobbled about half the race and spent most of the time terrified that I'd be swept after making a lot of sacrifices just to get to Florida in the first place that year. 2019 marathon, I stopped for every photo, waiting around for a half hour for Everest to open to ride it, had a smoothie mid-race and still finished in less time than my 2018 marathon! It was a much more fun experience the 2nd time around.

Last edited:
Fun Friday QOTD: Earlier this week someone suggested to post our worse and best race photos, so lets see what you got!
Worst (I have a lot to choose from):

COOL FACE SO MANY CHINS.
IMG_7965.JPG

W T F am I doing in this picture? Why???
RRCHM.PNG

Best (also have a lot to choose from and "best" is subjective):

I didn't carry Pom Poms for 26.2 miles to NOT get this picture.
296ccbd8-4eab-4d21-87fd-569c36fe0aa9.jpg

THOSE DOPEY FINISH LINE FEEEELLLLLSSSSSS
2a64d1cf-0002-4e28-b648-5efc001b6281.jpg

That was almost my first half marathon too! Same race, same year. I say almost because I didn't realize the half and the 5k started from different streets and was confused by the fact the 5k people also had bibs which said "half marathon" on them, so accidentally ran the 5k instead. Small world! Ended up running the hands on house half marathon the next weekend just because I wanted to get that official half time.

Haha, it is a small world.

And now I have the Small World song stuck in my head.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter