The Running Thread - 2019

QOTD: How often do you buy new running clothes? This excludes socks and shoes.

ATTQOTD: It's been a very long time! I am doing well on shirts since so many races give running shirts these days, but my shorts are looking bad! I'll probably need to purchase a pair or 3 this summer which will be the first time in at least 5 years. The only issue I have with shirts are the white ones. They just look bad over the years.
I'm the opposite: I got it in my head I don't have enough running shorts and tights so I may have gone a little overboard. I also was sure I had way too many short sleeve shirts but now I'm seeing I have to wear the same 3 things over and over again and in the summer that's not going to cut it because I can't keep up with laundry.
It's hard to know how often I buy things. To me it feels like it's every 3 months but I'm sure to my husband it feels like it's once a week. I'll say every three months though :)

ATTQOTD: As needed, and when there's an exceptional deal to be had. I'm just starting to need to replace some tanks that I've had for 7 or 8 years. I wear Skirt Sports running skirts and they're expensive, so when there's a really good deal, I'll buy one or two - maybe an average of 2 per year, though they hold up really well and I haven't had to retire any, so I'm cut off for a while until some wear out. ;) I'll grab running bras when I see them on clearance at Target; I probably need to replace a couple every 2 years or so.

ETA: @LSUlakes ditto on the white shirts - the couple I have are so stained from sunscreen, they just look gross, even though they're clean.

ETA again: I live in FL and basically live in running clothes 3/4ths of the year to deal while running errands, cleaning, etc. So I technically own a LOT of "running" clothes, though not all of them are used regularly for actual running. A Skirt Sports skirt and Under Armour tee is my weekend uniform from April through Oct. lol!

Last edited:
Love labs! We were the last male puppy pick when we got our Golden Retriever Barkley and I was worried for the same reason. Fortunately ours worked out well and he is the perfect addition to our family...he's a little wild and crazy but apparently that is to be expected it had just been a long time since I had a Golden. Good luck and I hope you get a great little guy!

Good to hear that your pup worked out well! We were back and forth between a golden and a lab, but ultimately went with the lab. We have a boxer and a beagle now (previously had two of each), so this is a new breed for us!

QOTD: I have an Inknburn problem. It's not as bad as some, but I probably buy three or four new shirts each year and maybe a pair of capris or two. I could probably run the rest of my life in the clothes I have now, so it's not like I need them. I do need to buy new socks though, and I keep putting that off!

ATTQOTD: As needed, and when there's an exceptional deal to be had. I'm just starting to need to replace some tanks that I've had for 7 or 8 years. I wear Skirt Sports running skirts and they're expensive, so when there's a really good deal, I'll buy one or two - maybe an average of 2 per year, though they hold up really well and I haven't had to retire any, so I'm cut off for a while until some wear out. ;) I'll grab running bras when I see them on clearance at Target; I probably need to replace a couple every 2 years or so.

ETA: @LSUlakes ditto on the white shirts - the couple I have are so stained from sunscreen, they just look gross, even though they're clean.

ETA again: I live in FL and basically live in running clothes 3/4ths of the year to deal while running errands, cleaning, etc. So I technically own a LOT of "running" clothes, though not all of them are used regularly for actual running. A Skirt Sports skirt and Under Armour tee is my weekend uniform from April through Oct. lol!
Oh gosh well if we are including bras, then definitely every 3 months at least. I'm always replacing an old one.

Shirts: Pretty much only when InknBurn comes out with a design I really like. That's been happening much less frequently lately, though.

Shorts: I'm always looking for the holy grail of shorts. I wear compression shorts underneath them, so I need liner-less. Those are hard enough to find on their own, then throw in that I want front normal pockets on them, not some kind of ridiculously small zippered pocket that I can't get into on the fly or put anything significant into, and it gets next to impossible to find shorts that I like.

ATTQOTD: I went thru a "must buy all the skirts" phase with Sparkle Skirts so I have plenty, although I did purge a bunch I never wore. I probably have about 8 I wear consistently so I am good on bottoms. When it is cold I just add tights under the skirt. For tanks I buy them if I see them on clearance somewhere or need one for a costume? I'm pretty set there too. I apparently do not buy on any set schedule. :)

I pretty much just keep an eye out for sales and buy things when I need to replace something or when I see a really good price. I definitely don't replace my running socks and sports bras as frequently as I should. I replace running shoes every 6 months.

Other than socks and shoes, very rarely. Most of my training runs, I'm wearing the same running shorts I've had since I started running four years ago. I did buy running pants last year, that was my big splurge. I just wear my race shirts. I'm debating costumes for next year, so there may be some new clothes coming.

About breeders and puppies - I would be wary of people that do deposits for pick choice order. A good breeder should know the personalities of the dog and what type of home they are going into. Ideally through a temperament test but observations work well too. You wouldn’t want the dog with no fear or ability to listen to go to a family with children. You also wouldn’t want the disengaged dog that just wants cuddles to go to a show/performance home.

In my breed, a decent amount of breeders in the breed club actually don’t do deposits anymore. They do have potential families lined up but they know that the match might not be there. I know that can very by breed though.

If you are spending decent money on a AKC registered dog, please make sure that the parents were health tested against the parent club requirements.

I’m excited for you @LSUlakes !

About breeders and puppies - I would be wary of people that do deposits for pick choice order. A good breeder should know the personalities of the dog and what type of home they are going into. Ideally through a temperament test but observations work well too. You wouldn’t want the dog with no fear or ability to listen to go to a family with children. You also wouldn’t want the disengaged dog that just wants cuddles to go to a show/performance home.

In my breed, a decent amount of breeders in the breed club actually don’t do deposits anymore. They do have potential families lined up but they know that the match might not be there. I know that can very by breed though.

If you are spending decent money on a AKC registered dog, please make sure that the parents were health tested against the parent club requirements.

I’m excited for you @LSUlakes !

Ohhh, what breed do you show/breed? I love dogs!

For us, we are actually meeting the pups on Friday and hopefully finding the one with the temperament that's right for us. If there isn't a male with that temperament, we might switch to a female. Or we might wait for a different litter. I'm not picking the wrong dog for our family when it's going to be with us for the next 12-15ish years!

And our breeder shows/hunts and does health testing - wow there are a lot of tests for labs! I think there were only four or so tests required by the Boxer Club of America for our boxers (cardiomyopathy, DM, etc.), but there are like 12 for labs!

Yesterday's QOTD: How do you balance running and real life (job, family, relationships, financial, and other things)?

First things first, I am too hard on myself so I will say I'm not doing a good job when in reality most non-runners and many runners would think I am. So I have to remind myself of that. I have not tried the wake up crazy early route but I'm starting to think about maybe trying it. Usually it's work 9 hours with about 1:15 total commute. I pick daughter up from aftercare between 5:35 and 5:50 most days and then I come home and make us dinner. Except on basketball practice and gymnastic practice days. Then we eat after 7:30. I want to spend time with her so I tuck her in and run at the gym at around 9pm. Maybe I need to finally start forcing myself to go to be earlier and wake up at 4:30am for running? Weekends are easier to balance.
Tonight my husband said he'd make dinner if I want to run in the daylight. When his work is busier this is not an option for me. So I have to take advantage. I do kind of not like coming home and immediately saying "I'll see you later" to my kiddo.
I should also take some time to talk about mental exhaustion. Work is hard right now. And it has been for over a year. I am doing an expanded role from when I began running. I am mentally exhausted everyday. I think about work at home and on weekends which I did not use to do. Being motivated to run is harder now because I often feel "beat up" by the the time I get home. I think this is me just talking myself into that early morning option.

QOTD: I used to buy clothes like crazy because I didn't have a lot of running clothes, then I lost weight and needed smaller ones, then I found cute running clothes companies and wanted to upgrade. Then I discovered the joy of POCKETS. But I've slowed down now that my closet overflows with tech gear. I do stock up on sparkle athletic skirts when they have sales so I should be set for rundisney races for a while. And I tend to buy something at big expos. Shoes are probably my most often purchase now.

@LSUlakes I have a race to add.
roxymama June 2nd - Knights of Columbus 5k, Homer Glen, IL (Have Fun/NA)
- no goal here. My dad signed me up because he is a knight. Kind of just see what happens. It's a low key local race, no bells and whistles.

ATTQOTD:

Clothes: I think I'm good on clothes. I literally have a huge bin labeled "run" for all my gear. I usually buy when clearance has a further discount. I cycle my clothes so that I wear my rattier stuff during my home treadmill runs. I almost throw nothing away. I used my super ratty stuff (waist band elastic non-existent) when I was pregnant, but now I can finally toss them! ha! I like Athleta bc they carry my size and not as expensive as lululemon. But I also have a lot of Target/TJ maxx/Marshalls. My brother was horrified by my Ink n Burn ugly Christmas sweater top and skirt, so he got me Outdoor Voices clothes for my birthday - apparently they're de rigueur in NY. I had to explain that they were silly on purpose and that I have to wear bright clothes outside so I don't get run over.

Run time: A supportive partner is essential to running - but there's a lot of compromises and sacrifices and sometimes resentment. The baby is finally starting to "sleep in" until 5:30-6am, so maybe I can do the 4:30am runs. Knock on wood. It's so hard with little ones, but won't it be harder when we have to start shuttling them both to practices and games? We already have the older one in sports year around. At what age is it easier? I've got a looooong time before they're teens - and even then I expect a lot of extracurricular activities.

Budgeting: DH thinks it's crazy to pay to run. I think his eyes popped out of his head when he saw how much the Rebel Challenge was. So I try to get an early bird discount. Lucky for him I do very few races and try to keep them super local.

Weather: surprising rain this past week. But otherwise temperate weather for now, summer doesn't really get going until almost August out here. I don't know how you guys do it in hot and humid weather.

@Capang - I'm sorry to hear

Last edited:
Yesterday's QOTD: How do you balance running and real life (job, family, relationships, financial, and other things)?

I should also take some time to talk about mental exhaustion. Work is hard right now. And it has been for over a year. I am doing an expanded role from when I began running. I am mentally exhausted everyday. I think about work at home and on weekends which I did not use to do. Being motivated to run is harder now because I often feel "beat up" by the the time I get home. I think this is me just talking myself into that early morning option.

Honestly that is one of the biggest reasons i like to run in the morning. It mentally wakes me up and i am ready for work. At the end of the day i am exhausted. I have no kids so my balance is a lot easier. The other reason I run in the morning is to avoid the HEAT. Every so often i will run after work but most of the time i get up earlier if needed. Plus i am grateful work is generally flexible. My mid week longer run day is thursday. i let people know i wont be in till 9. Normal days i am here about 8:30.

@LSUlakes I have a race to add.
roxymama June 2nd - Knights of Columbus 5k, Homer Glen, IL (Have Fun/NA)
- no goal here. My dad signed me up because he is a knight. Kind of just see what happens. It's a low key local race, no bells and whistles.

Maybe they'll give tootsie rolls as post-race fuel :) (our maybe that just a thing with our local chapter ha)

Ohhh, what breed do you show/breed? I love dogs!

For us, we are actually meeting the pups on Friday and hopefully finding the one with the temperament that's right for us. If there isn't a male with that temperament, we might switch to a female. Or we might wait for a different litter. I'm not picking the wrong dog for our family when it's going to be with us for the next 12-15ish years!

And our breeder shows/hunts and does health testing - wow there are a lot of tests for labs! I think there were only four or so tests required by the Boxer Club of America for our boxers (cardiomyopathy, DM, etc.), but there are like 12 for labs!

Rhodesian Ridgebacks. I actually just got my first show girl last Monday. I had previously had a pet quality ridge-less male from this breeder in March 2018.

We decided on the breed back in November 2016 and began research. I found a breeder that went over and beyond for health testing of her dogs and one that bred for temperament as well as structure and performance. She also tried to keep genetic diversity in her lines so she often uses studs that aren’t in her kennel name. She also posts direct links to her health testing results so you know they’re real and don’t have to hunt on the OFA site. It also meant I had to wait a while after contacting her and then we had to decline a puppy as Jafar was in his last stages of heart failure so I wasn’t going to bring the chaos of a puppy into the home.

Labs do have lots of health tests! I think their popularity caused some of the health issues (same thing goes for lots of other breeds) I just get passionate about those things especially when significant money is involved.

ATTQOTD: Let's see, I just ran a race in the same shirt that I started running in 10 years ago. Is that enough of an answer? In general, other than shoes, I rarely turn over clothing unless it is worn out, or suddenly stops working for me. I have had to retire shorts and sports bras to avoid chafing. I cycle through numerous race shirts, so never buy running shirts. When my one pair of Brooks loose fit running tights go and my Adidas 3/4 Boston Marathon capris wear out, I will have a mini-crisis!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter