The Running Thread - 2019

ATQOTD: I haven’t had this happen, but I’d probably still keep it and wear it. I mostly wear race shirts for training runs. I’ve also gotten free leftover shirts from old races at expos, and I wear those, too. To me, medals mean I finished, shirts just mean a race exists.
I would keep it, too... it's not a finisher shirt (usually). I still have my quarter zip from Wineglass last year... I paid good money for that quarter zip! 😂 The other 3 races that I DNS, 2 of them didn't have shirts and 1 I needed to pick up the shirt at the post-race thing and I wasn't driving up to the race since I wasn't running it. I haven't worn the WIneglass quarter zip because I gained some weight and it doesn't fit. I am hopefully actually running it this year.

What do you do with a race shirt where you have registered but are not able to start due to injury, weather cancelling the race or a family commitment that comes up after you have registered?

I've had this happen only a few times in my life, but in general, I do not choose to wear race shirts that I have not raced nor volunteered for. There is only one shirt that I kept, and that was because it was a really good tech shirt (plus it was a short distance, I had done the race in prior years, and I only use it for training). I still feel a little guilty when I run in it.

ATTQOTD: The only time I've had something similar happen was with the cancelled half during Dopey 2017. I kept the half, Goofy and Dopey shirts and still wear them as cooler weather training shirts.

Since @LSUlakes is probably still dealing with tropical storm Barry, I have a QOTD.

What do you do with a race shirt where you have registered but are not able to start due to injury, weather cancelling the race or a family commitment that comes up after you have registered?

My answer: most likely do a ‘virtual’ race of that distance, since I have a race with a really cool shirt this week that I will not be able to start. Admittedly it may be another few weeks before I can walk 3 miles since I finally was able to bend enough to get my running shoes on and laced this morning.
Oh wow I guess I'm not superstitious or honor-bound or whatever because I DNS a 10k years ago and I just wear the shirt as a training shirt, it never occurred to me that it was a problem. I never even thought about it. I paid for race registration and thus paid for the shirt, I don't know, I have run that distance enough times in training and other races that it doesn't feel dishonest or anything for me to wear it. It's not a prestige race like the Boston Marathon, that feels like a different situation. I guess I'd never include it in a quilt made of all my race shirts or anything like that but my long-sleeved tech shirts get stinky and unusable so quickly I'm not just going to toss one I can use. Also it's not a particularly cool shirt so I don't wear it with pride or somewhere people will see it and remark on it, just for training. It's interesting to see other people's thoughts on this.

I have never experienced this yet. Like others though I would probably donate it to something whether its Goodwill or other local organizations.

With these Prime deals I’m thinking about getting a Garmin. I know Garmin has been talked about here before, but what does everyone have/suggest? Thanks!
I have a 235. Love having buttons and not a touch screen when I am sweaty, but when I am switching out water bottles from my pack I have a tendency to hit the stop button, but I know I do so I just “watch” our for it. I have a touch screen and hated it.

I also don’t think the battery will last for a 50 miler, for me at least, since if I finish it is going to take the whole course time of 12.5 hours.

Attqotd: donate them. I’ve only picked up shirts for one race I DNSed, the last superheroes weekend at DLR. The other DNSs I did not even go on the vacations.

ETA- the only shirts I’ve had that I liked are the new ones I am getting for this trail series. They are cotton so I can wear them casually. I have never been a fan of the tech shirts that come from other races. I’m pretty picky about what I wear running.

Since @LSUlakes is probably still dealing with tropical storm Barry, I have a QOTD.

My answer: most likely do a ‘virtual’ race of that distance, since I have a race with a really cool shirt this week that I will not be able to start. Admittedly it may be another few weeks before I can walk 3 miles since I finally was able to bend enough to get my running shoes on and laced this morning.

I've had this happen twice. One time I didn't even pick anything up so I never got the shirt. The other time I had a last minute emergency in New Zealand crop up. I made it to the expo, then went to the airport and got on the plane. I landed went to the hotel and ran a half marathon on the treadmill. 13.1 miles on a treadmill after 30 hours in transit made me feel like I earned the shirt, so I've kept it but it's very rare that I wear it.

With these Prime deals I’m thinking about getting a Garmin. I know Garmin has been talked about here before, but what does everyone have/suggest? Thanks!

I have a Vivoactive 3. I mostly like it. My version doesn't have working elevation gain on the watch - I have to go to the website (not the mobile app) to enable the corrections after the fact. I think that this has been fixed on newer versions? Perhaps someone can confirm that. I got my VA3 last year on Prime Day.

Currently running with a vivoactive3, I have a 235, 220 and vivoactive hr too. I really like the vivoactive3, but the touchscreen bothers some people compared to the real buttons on the 235

Good point. If you like to use the manual lap function a lot, it's a pain in the butt with the Vivoactive 3. You have to double-tap to hit the manual lap. That isn't bad if you're doing a sedate pace, but at the beginning/end of a hard interval, it is annoying. If you don't use this function much, not a big deal.

I've only used the manual lap a bit, so I live with it. I really love the touchscreen otherwise.

I've had this happen only a few times in my life, but in general, I do not choose to wear race shirts that I have not raced nor volunteered for. There is only one shirt that I kept, and that was because it was a really good tech shirt (plus it was a short distance, I had done the race in prior years, and I only use it for training). I still feel a little guilty when I run in it.

ATTQOTD: I have never had this happen...I don't think I would wear the shirt if it was something that was "my fault", i.e., my injury or event that prevented me from doing the race. If it was the "race's fault", like a natural disaster cancellation, then I might wear it.

To flip the question around, if I see someone wearing a shirt of a race, I assume they've run that race. I would not think it would be out of place to ask them a question about that race and expect them to be able to answer. So I guess I expect the same of myself.

I have never experienced this yet. Like others though I would probably donate it to something whether its Goodwill or other local organizations.

I'm pretty sure you have experienced it. According to my memory the 2017 WDW Half Marathon was cancelled due to weather.

I also don’t think the battery will last for a 50 miler, for me at least, since if I finish it is going to take the whole course time of 12.5 hours.

This was the primary driver for me to move from the 235 to the 935. I've used the 935 up to 13-14 hours with plenty of battery left over in normal usage mode. It also offers an ultra-track mode that extends the battery life significantly longer that I think will get me through a 100 miler if I decide to try one next spring.

In my investigation of the battery life issue, I did find out that you can charge the 235 during activity while continuing to record. I didn't want to hassle with carrying an extra battery pack and charge cord, though.

I have a Vivoactive 3. I mostly like it. My version doesn't have working elevation gain on the watch - I have to go to the website (not the mobile app) to enable the corrections after the fact. I think that this has been fixed on newer versions? Perhaps someone can confirm that. I got my VA3 last year on Prime Day.
I have the same issue with mine and got it at the same time... I use Strava and when the elevation looks weird, I always hit the elevation correction link on there.

ATTQOTD: I don't think I have any shirts like that. I DNS'd this spring but did not show up to get the shirt.
The first 10 years of my life I wore cotton race shirts from my dad's races as pajamas because he'd get them in sizes my sis and I could wear as big baggy sleep shirts. So I guess I used to be guilty of misrepresenting myself as a kiddo, but I don't think that counts.
I did accidentally get a marathon sweaty band a long time ago (thought it was the race weekend one) and my young daughter was gifted it. She likes it because it has pigs on it.

Last edited:
This was the primary driver for me to move from the 235 to the 935. I've used the 935 up to 13-14 hours with plenty of battery left over in normal usage mode. It also offers an ultra-track mode that extends the battery life significantly longer that I think will get me through a 100 miler if I decide to try one next spring.

In my investigation of the battery life issue, I did find out that you can charge the 235 during activity while continuing to record. I didn't want to hassle with carrying an extra battery pack and charge cord, though.
I have already been told no on 100 milers. And I even managed to find a pacer for the night, who is a family friend of my partner. She said she is going “to have a little talk with him.”

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter