The Running Thread - 2019

I'm not sure as to the current status of the race list, but I wanted to wish @StacyStrong and @KevM a fun time.
I myself am questioning the wisdom of even hitting the treadmill given the current heat wave here!

21 - StacyStrong - Chicago Rock N Roll 10k (1:27:00 / N/A)
21 - KevM - Double Trouble Trail Run (NG / N/A)

Thanks! Right now I am questioning if I’ll actually do this race on Sunday. It starts at 8AM and looking at the weather, 8AM on Sunday is already supposed to be 84°. It is a trail race though, so I am not looking to do it fast at all.

Not running related, but...most of you can probably relate...

I got THAT message last night...you know, the one when a friend messages you to say, “hey, we’re in Florida at the beach and going to Disney tomorrow. Where do we get tickets? And is Fast Pass worth it? We thought we’d check with you since you go to Disney a lot.” 🤦‍♀️
This is totally feasible at Disneyland but the idea of going to WDW on a whim gives me major anxiety.
I have been on both sides of this conversation, and continue to remind DH that we had a fantastic time when we flew in on 3 days notice with nothing but a rack rate hotel reservation. While I fully support his desire to stock up on discount disney gift cards to pay for things, the only thing in my mind we are missing out on by going with less than 30 days notice is fast pass to 7dwarves, slinky dog, and flights of passage. Every other ride was available, although not necessarily at our preferred time slot. I'm confident we can find plenty to do and still have a lot of fun. If I didn't need to buy plane tickets, I would gladly go spur of the moment!

@dis_or_dat My daddy ended up having a chunk of the top of his ear taken off for basal cell carcinoma. He was a county agent who spent many hours in farmer's fields. Even though he always wore a cap, it was baseball cap style and left his ears vulnerable. So I always make a conscious effort to put sunscreen on my ears, whether I wear a cap or not!
[/QUOTE]
Having watched this and hairline and back of the neck biopsies on my grandparents, uncles, and mom, I worry quite a bit about this and am a bit nervous as running is the only time my hat does not have a giant brim. I don't suppose anyone runs in a more robust hat? Long shot, but I am not terribly afraid to look like an idiot, I already look silly when I run.

Does anyone have any experience with Curex Runpro insoles? I need arch support on one foot and these were the ones that felt the best when I tried them at the running store. But it’s so hard to tell when you’re just walking around the store.

Having watched this and hairline and back of the neck biopsies on my grandparents, uncles, and mom, I worry quite a bit about this and am a bit nervous as running is the only time my hat does not have a giant brim. I don't suppose anyone runs in a more robust hat? Long shot, but I am not terribly afraid to look like an idiot, I already look silly when I run.

I haven’t run in one, but there are running hats that have neck/ear flaps for protection. Just one example. https://www.coolibar.com/unisex-all...sGCqPCGGksQsWM2JictwX1iV29tK3p4waAuVSEALw_wcB

I'm a visor running mostly to keep sun or rain out of my eyes (and sweat since I buy headsweats ones.) But this discussion is making me think that maybe a full coverage hat is a good idea during the summer. I wear a lot of SPF often but rarely do I ever spray my scalp.

My hubby on the other hand will wear a baseball cap even when we go swimming because he worried about a fried head. He's the smart one.

I haven’t run in one, but there are running hats that have neck/ear flaps for protection. Just one example. https://www.coolibar.com/unisex-all...sGCqPCGGksQsWM2JictwX1iV29tK3p4waAuVSEALw_wcB

I have this one from Outdoor Research:

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/en/mens/new-arrivals/sun-runner-cap/p/2434330002007
I call it my 'French Foreign Legion Hat'.

The sunshade is removable, which is nice. The chin/neck strap can be a pain, but it is also removable, but the flap is so lightweight it tends to 'flap', if you don't have the strap.

It's also good for keeping the rain off your ears and neck.

It's not perfect, but the slight annoyance is worth the protection for afternoon runs.

And yeah, it's goofy looking but it gives the neighbors something to talk about.

I burn bright red very easily and extremely quickly, so I always put on sunscreen when I know I'm going to be outdoors for a while. My first 2 races were Disneyland in early September, so it wasn't too bad.

But for Dark Side 2017, the heat warning was out and I tried running with a visor. I was convinced after that. I could set the size sufficiently to accommodate the sweat hand I used and it helped keep the sun out of my eyes. Contacts don't work for me, so this is better than hassling with my prescription sunglasses to keep the sun out of my eyes.

I also found during the marathon this year that the visor may have really saved me. The heat and humidity really started to get to me around mile 21 or 22. Seeing other runners with ice bags on their head convinced me to do it. I could more or less balance the ice bag on my head and still move fast enough and I had the ice bag directly on top of my head. I was pouring water down my head and back as often as I could in the last 4 miles.

And yeah, it's goofy looking but it gives the neighbors something to talk about.
For this very same reason I opted to get my photo with the Incredibles in DHS during the marathon with the ice bag on my head. Their confused gestures made for an awesome picture and it tells the story of how hot that particular race was.

If the humidity is that bad again next year, I'm going to the ice bag earlier. And keeping the sponge from mile 18.

I usually wear a visor when I run. The cancerous spot just happens to be on a part of my head where the visor meets the hairline. So just a teeny patch that gets sun exposure! I sweat terribly so I bet the sunscreen never lasted long enough in that area. I don't know of anyone in my family that has ever had any type of skin cancer. I had a full body check and that one spot on my forehead was the only concern.

I always wear a hat for running since it stops the sweat and rain and provides shade for my eyes, since I don't like running with sunglasses.

My maternal grandmother died of melanoma in her mid-20s (may have survived but stopped treatment because she became pregnant with my aunt), so I'm pretty fanatical about sun exposure.

I have had one severely abnormal mole removed - had to have surgery to get clear margins (one step below melanoma so the dermatologist says) - and it was in a place not exposed to the sun. So that's not good. But that was about 8 years ago now when I was in my mid-20s. I have had about 5 other moles removed since then, but they were not as abnormal.

Just want to say how ticked I am at the stupid heat right now. I'm in central VA and was already a day behind on my training plan, and even right now if I wanted to run at 10:45 p.m., the temp feels like 86 with a dew point in the high 70s...heat advisory through Sunday...ugh. Definitely missing my Y membership right about now.

PSA:

WEAR SUNSCREEN!!!

I always wear sunscreen. I had a tiny pimple like thing near hairline that wasn’t going away. I had a biopsy and it came back as basal cell carcinoma aka least dangerous skin cancer. I go on August 5th to have a Mohs Procedure done to make sure they get rid of it all.

So glad you caught it!! My sister and Dad had melanomas removed last year....so this is my soap box issue!

I’ll put a plug in for a recent running podcast with a dermatologist that was SO informative about sun protection while running.

https://anothermotherrunner.com/370-talking-summer-skin-for-runners-with-a-dermatologist/

I have been on both sides of this conversation, and continue to remind DH that we had a fantastic time when we flew in on 3 days notice with nothing but a rack rate hotel reservation. While I fully support his desire to stock up on discount disney gift cards to pay for things, the only thing in my mind we are missing out on by going with less than 30 days notice is fast pass to 7dwarves, slinky dog, and flights of passage. Every other ride was available, although not necessarily at our preferred time slot. I'm confident we can find plenty to do and still have a lot of fun. If I didn't need to buy plane tickets, I would gladly go spur of the moment!

@dis_or_dat My daddy ended up having a chunk of the top of his ear taken off for basal cell carcinoma. He was a county agent who spent many hours in farmer's fields. Even though he always wore a cap, it was baseball cap style and left his ears vulnerable. So I always make a conscious effort to put sunscreen on my ears, whether I wear a cap or not!
[/QUOTE]
Courtney Dauwalter seems to run in a Salomon S/Lab Speed Bob, I’m sure others on the team do as well.

I haven't posted here for a few months, but I'm still running!

Anyway, over the last few months my 5k best time has gone down to 31:20 from 35:00, which I'm incredibly pleased about! Part of this was from losing some 30+ pounds of weight (wow, who knew that not carrying all that weight around would make me faster!) and the other part was increasing my running cadence.

Now I guess my aims are to:
- Keep running!
- Try to get my 5k time down some more. I'm still dubious about ever doing a sub-30 5k though...
- Try to improve my 10k time and build up towards W&D half!

Just want to say how ticked I am at the stupid heat right now. I'm in central VA and was already a day behind on my training plan, and even right now if I wanted to run at 10:45 p.m., the temp feels like 86 with a dew point in the high 70s...heat advisory through Sunday...ugh. Definitely missing my Y membership right about now.

I feel you. It’s currently 99, feeling like 111 with high humidity, today in Philly. I’m not sure I even want to walk the 2 blocks to the gym in that. 😮

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts