The Running Thread - 2019

Yeah, this heat wave is crazy. It’s 97 and feels like 105 here in Kansas. Thankfully a cool front is supposed to come through tonight or tomorrow and the highs are only going to be in the 80s next week!

Just want to say how ticked I am at the stupid heat right now. I'm in central VA and was already a day behind on my training plan, and even right now if I wanted to run at 10:45 p.m., the temp feels like 86 with a dew point in the high 70s...heat advisory through Sunday...ugh. Definitely missing my Y membership right about now.
here! Here! I had plans to hit the Y knowing our overnight low was 78 and all the humidity and that was the best case for running this morning. Storms blew through and knocked out power to half of town including the Y. Maybe I’ll make it tomorrow!
After spending the morning at the shadiest playground we could find, I’m feeling better about not being totally miserable in FL in August.

So glad you caught it!! My sister and Dad had melanomas removed last year....so this is my soap box issue!

I’ll put a plug in for a recent running podcast with a dermatologist that was SO informative about sun protection while running.

https://anothermotherrunner.com/370-talking-summer-skin-for-runners-with-a-dermatologist/
I did hear this and have been considering her comments about running in long sleeves year round. While I swim in a rash guard, I am not sure I can commit to that!

Same in MA, did 10 miles at 6:00 this morning, it was 80 with 87% humidity. Now it’s 97 with real feel of 107. I love the heat but it’s tough running. I spent my afternoon in the pool.

I can't believe your temps are higher than where I am in FL. Right now it's 92 with a real feel of 104. We have some storms moving in that should cool it down though.

I decided to go up to my parents’ to borrow a car while they’re on vacay, so I took the bus then had to walk a mile with a heavy backpack. I’m choosing to view this as Disney World prep.

Although it’s less fun when there aren’t roller coasters at the destination.

I can't believe your temps are higher than where I am in FL. Right now it's 92 with a real feel of 104. We have some storms moving in that should cool it down though.

I live a little outside Philly and it’s still ridiculous. Currently (7:45 PM) 90° with real feel of 102°. Tomorrow’s supposed to be even more “fun.” Storms are supposed to roll in late Sunday night though, knocking Monday’s high down to 81° & Tuesday’s to 78°.

And these are all reminders why I shouldn’t complain about the odd snow flurries in June.
We complain at all the extremes. I was pretty whiny about <-10 for a week this winter. And I’m treating them similar- keep pets & kids inside, check on others, keep a full tank of gas, run indoors, again suggest we get a backup power source. This time the kids suggested we get a giant hamster wheel and they could run on it to make electricity during the next storm. I suggested a treadmill but was outvoted.

I feel like we've had an extremely mild summer in Texas. It's hot but not crazy hot thirty 100+ degree days like it usually is.

Does anyone have any experience with Curex Runpro insoles?
Yep! I don't usually use anything other than what shoes come with, but I needed a bit more under my arches in my Newtons. I really like Currexsole's products! They hold up forever, too.

I did hear this and have been considering her comments about running in long sleeves year round.
Iv'e tried long sleeves in summer here in FL - nope. Hard pass. Never again. Uh-uh.

Re: sun exposure, extreme heat, and running, I do best wearing as little clothing as possible and slathering on sunscreen. Visor in summer, hat in winter. For runs longer than 2 hours, I carry a tiny little stick sunscreen and reapply. I also try to run in the shade as much as possible, but that's more about trying not to die form heatstroke; any reduced sun exposure is just a side benefit.

Side benefit of the heat means I am trying to be happy about the treadmill and once power was restored went to the Y to put in at least a few miles. I tried to tack on strides to the last mile and found it much easier than trying to alter pacing outside on a sidewalk or a track. It was helpful to have a more instantaneous readout of pace on the console (I have a hard time looking at my watch without tripping over my own feet), so I know I had a bit of variation. While I was not using a specific time at each pace, just playing around with it, I was surprised that it really did not impact the overall pace for the mile.

So to my question: Am I really gaining anything by varying the instantaneous pace if I cannot hold the effort and end up with the same average pace? And does anyone else find this easier to do on at TM vs. a track or sidewalk?

Am I really gaining anything by varying the instantaneous pace if I cannot hold the effort and end up with the same average pace?

Absolutely it can matter. For example,

On May 7th, I ran a "[(2 x 4 min) + (2 min) + (2 x 4 min)] @ I + Bonus Just Run for 4.5 min" workout. The duration of the workout was 57 min, 6.7 miles, and average pace of 8:37. During the 4 min and 2 min segments, I held a pace of 5:58-6:25 which is my estimated VO2max pace. My HR fluctuated from 120-160 bpm (or very close to my maxHR). I can not hold that 5:58-6:25 pace under those conditions for much more than 9-11 minutes total continuously. This was a very challenging run on that day.

On May 2nd, I ran an "Easy B workout". The duration of the workout was 62 min, 7.2 miles, and average pace of 8:41. My HR fluctuated from 126-145 bpm (or a mostly relaxing run). I barely broke a sweat during this run.

These two runs had a similar average pace over the entire course of the run (not too different than if we were to micro analyze it down to the mile level as well). Their durations were similar as well. But in terms of reaping benefits from the runs, their effects were quite different. The VO2max run was meant to help sharpen my top end speed. Gains being enhanced when I was able to hold that pace for over 2 min continuously. Whereas, the easy B run was relaxing and meant to just maintain a level of cumulative fatigue. I gained little to no actual speed gains from the specific easy B workout. But it certainly played an essential role in the bigger picture of the training plan.

So suffice to say, depending on how long you hold the relative pace for and where that relative pace lies in relation to your fitness would determine what type of gains you're getting from it. The two miles (or entire runs) having the same exact average pace does not mean they have the same effect on your physiological adaptations.

I ran through 6 sprinklers on Sunday morning. Some of them repeats. I specifically veered to the other side of street to hit one and probably added teeny bits of distance running up to sidewalks to gain maximum sprinkling.

Today will be an oddly "cool" day by comparison before the temps start climbing again so I'm weirdly thankful that I now run on Mondays instead of it being my off day.

How y'all survive humidity is beyond me. It was 90 degrees and 42% humidity this morning and I felt like I was drowning. Give me 100+ degrees of dry heat any day over this. Yuck.
:rotfl2:I'm sorry - I'm only laughing because 42% is insanely DRY for me! I can't even breathe in that nonsense. Fortunately, I live where it's 70-100% most of the year, lol!

The heat wave broke here last night with thunderstorms starting around 11pm.

It's a wonderful 73 and raining right now, even with 100% humidity.

I did get out for a long run yesterday morning. At 6:30 am, it was 73 degrees, 74 dew point, and 99% humidity. Thankfully my trail is shaded, and I felt good the whole time. Strava told me my effort seemed harder, but my HR was lower than usual. Who knows about these things.

There are two types of summer air near me.
"Swimming air" is when you get nice cold breezes that make you feel like you are swimming through them. Cool and refreshing.
"Hot Tub air" is what we had this weekend. Just that stagnant thick hot wet nonsense with no airflow.

My husband knows very well when it's nice out because I'll say "swimming air."

It's easy: you reach 100% misery level in the first mile. Once you are at 100% misery level, it can't get any worse.

Plus, it's fun to see how much sweat you can wring out of your shirt/shorts/hat or how big of a sweat puddle you can make.

Similarly, "make it rain" is what I do walking around the house dripping after a NC summer run!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter