The Running Thread - 2019

ATTQOTD:

Funny you should ask. I made a spur of the moment decision to run a 5K tomorrow.

[8/17- @OldSlowGoofyGuy - Awesome 80s 5k (24:59 / N/A)
Race start is late, 9:00AM. T+D will be around 150. Not sure the sub 25 is going to happen in the heat, but I'll throw it out there to keep me motivated.

Funny I was going to sign up for a 5k Sep 7, but it is sold out :( I was just looking for another. i think i landed on Sep 2 Labor Day. The Big Peach Sizzler 5k. I should sign up this weekend.

DoLittle Half Marathon on 9/22. I've never run this specific race, but have run on this course before (in December). It's my absolute favorite course. Paved bike path with an out and back. Very gentle uphill for first half and then the same gentle downhill back. Relatively straight as well so almost always comes back at 13.11 miles. Not expecting the weather to be "PR" type, but I just want to see where I'm at after the first 12 weeks of Ironman training towards Disney 2020.

Thanks for the reminder....

@LSUlakes
25 Jun- @Kerry1957 - Fort2Base 10NM (2:33 / N/A)
This race is 10 nautical miles (about 11.5 miles) from Fort Sheridan to Great Lakes Naval Base in north suburban Chicago. I'm not from a military family, but I support them when I can. It's supposed to be just a training run on my @DopeyBadger marathon training plan so I'll try to keep it slow. That may not be an issue in that I'm running 5 miles and 7 miles the 2 days beforehand so I'll have no taper benefits.

@DopeyBadger, I was excited to see your response. I'm scheduled for a 13 mile training run on September 21 and was looking for an organized HM. The two near me are the Fox Valley and the DoLittle, both on September 22. The DoLittle seems more interesting so I think I'll sign up and join you. When you get a chance, could you take a quick look at my plan and see what adjustment I should make to do this training run a day later? Thanks!

Happy Friday everyone. Almost weekend time!

I tend to stay motivated and maintain better running habits when I am signed up for a race or two. Otherwise, I find myself losing focus on thinking about naps instead of running. So my sorta-fun FRIDAY question of the day would be:

WHAT IS YOUR NEXT RUNNING EVENT, WHEN IS IT, AND WHY ARE YOU RUNNING IT?

ANSWER: The Lederhosen Half Marathon, September 28th. New event for me. Looks like a fun event with a great after party (pretzels, beer garden!) in Newark, Delaware. I had a goal of running both a marathon and a half marathon in 11 different states. Delaware and South Carolina are the last two states that I need to complete the quest.

ATTSOFFQOTD: The Space Coast Marathon on Dec. 1. I want to improve my marathon PR. Hopefully not too difficult a task, since this will only be my third marathon.

I picked this marathon because SPACE and cool medals. Somehow I had been oblivious to this event previously. I am an astronomer and teach future astronomers, and so I know they will be very impressed by the manned-spacecraft medal from the race. It's also a flat marathon and will hopefully be cool in December.

@DopeyBadger, I was excited to see your response. I'm scheduled for a 13 mile training run on September 21 and was looking for an organized HM. The two near me are the Fox Valley and the DoLittle, both on September 22. The DoLittle seems more interesting so I think I'll sign up and join you. When you get a chance, could you take a quick look at my plan and see what adjustment I should make to do this training run a day later? Thanks!

Just based on the picture alone the DoLittle will be way less attended than Fox Valley. That's for sure. The guy who runs the company does a decent job. The medal is mostly a no-frills. Additional medals for placement if memory serves me right. Also does an "Average Joe/Jane" award for whomever finishes in the middle of the race.

I double checked and the total elevation gain per my Garmin in 2015 was 280 feet.

Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 1.52.02 PM.png

Given that occurs over the first 6.6 miles, then it's about 42 foot gain/loss per mile over the course of the race. But honestly, I don't even notice it since it is just one long slow gentle climb. It's only a 0.8% grade average.

I'd suggest doing the following if it can fit within your schedule:

Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 2.04.00 PM.png

The biggest concern is making sure you take DoLittle as an easy/LR and not try to push the pace at all. Too close to the marathon to waste everything on a supported training run instead. So just keep repeating "save if for race day" no matter how good you might feel that morning. But the changes were shifting the off day, making Thurs 4.5 easy, keep 7+13.11 together, drop Mon to 2 miles, and drop a mile off the WU on the next Wed. The run I'd be most concerned about is the M/HM on Wed. Be ready to drop that to 1:45 hrs of just easy/lr if things aren't feeling right with one less day of recovery from the 3 hr (13.11 mile) run.

Excited to see you there!

ATTQOTD: The San Francisco Giant Race Lou Seal Challenge on September 8, 2019. The Giant Race offers kids races, a family relay inside the ballpark, and a 5K, 10K, and Half Marathon. Runners who finish the 10K or Half Marathon that morning followed by the 5K at 11:00am receive a 3rd medal featuring the Giants Lou Seal mascot. I'm running the Half Marathon and the 5K because runDisney taught me that race challenges are not impossible, especially after Dopey.

As to the why? I ran the race last year and it felt like a 10 mile or so death march. It felt much more difficult than even the end of the marathon. So this year was going to be my opportunity to avenge last year's showing. My little sister talked my dad into joining us for the 5K so I'm really looking forward to finishing both races and then spending time on the field with my dad. When I was little my parents would always let me stay up late to watch the World Series. In 2010, I watched game 5 at my parents house when the Giants won their first World Series in San Francisco, 52 years after moving to the city. It's going to be very special I think to actually be on the Giants field with my dad.

Why? I've been hearing about it for years - a radio station I used to listen to was one of the sponsors. Apparently, Sports Illustrated named it "America's Most Beautiful Race". And since I did Bay to Breakers earlier this year, I've been pondering doing the full set of 4 "San Francisco Originals" races - Bay to Breakers, Bridge to Bridge, SF Marathon, and Giant Race SF.
The only race I've run in SF is the Giant Race Half Marathon and it's an absolutely beautiful course. You run up by the Golden Gate Bridge, through Golden Gate park along the beach and the bay, and then you get to finish on the field at Oracle Park. So long as runners continue to show respect for the field, the Giants let runners stretch out on the outfield grass after the race(s), take pictures all along the field except for the infield dirt which is roped off, and take photos in the Giants dugout.

Even if someone is not a Giants fan, I think the race is worth doing because of the views along the course and all races finish on the field.

lol I can imagine! We thought it would be fun to fly into SLC and take the "scenic drive" to Yellowstone and back. I feel like I have been crossing the wilderness for a month just getting home.
I should add "scenic drive" is only in quotes because to me that implies a leisurely jaunt with lots of stops in between. it was definitely beautiful out there, just that it is a looooong way between towns in a way I'm sure many of us East Coasters don't understand. We love it out there though.

I should add "scenic drive" is only in quotes because to me that implies a leisurely jaunt with lots of stops in between. it was definitely beautiful out there, just that it is a looooong way between towns in a way I'm sure many of us East Coasters don't understand. We love it out there though.
I used to work in Yellowstone. 2.5 hour drive to Bozeman to go to Walmart or to see a movie? Sure, no big deal. Let’s go! 😂

ATTQOTD: Next race is Chicago Women’s 10 Mile on October 5th. Why? I have never run a 10 mile race, never been to Chicago, free flights, free hotel and it’s still too hot for racing in Florida. Hoping to run sub 1:35, but not sure it will happen. I always feel this way during training though.

Long Beach Marathon on October 13th because I am an idiot and thought it would be fun to run another marathon.
That's the funny thing. I find myself questioning the decision to sign up for marathon #2 far more than the decision to register for marathon #1. And I had an enjoyable race for marathon #1.

So many fun races on everyone's schedules- I have some big race envy!

I don't plan on any races until post-baby. I have thought of a couple different possibilities for races next year, but figure I better wait and see how it goes. So I guess my next running event will be tonight or tomorrow morning for a nice 3 miler :)

My next race is the Richmond Half in November. I like having a Fall half marathon and I wanted something in driving distance. I was deciding between Richmond and Philly and ended up deciding on Richmond because it was a better weekend for me. It was my first half back in 2014 so I’m excited to go back five years later and experience it again :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter