The Running Thread - 2019

Sunday, Table Rock, SC, 5k Trail Race! Why? Because DH signed up for the 15k and I don’t want to do a mountain run that long because I would probably die.
Then Atlanta 10 miler in October.
ETA The race was originally planned for tomorrow, but somehow it changed from an Xterra race to a Koala bottle race and moved from Saturday to Sunday. I got an email on Aug 6 of the change!

My next race at the moment is the Dallas 10k/Half Marathon challenge, December 14 and 15. I'm doing it partly to keep me motivated for training and because I can walk to the start/finish line from home. If the Dallas Mavericks do their 5k again this year, I'll do that in September and Universal's Jurassic Park challenge is still a possibility in November.

Happy Friday everyone. Almost weekend time!

I tend to stay motivated and maintain better running habits when I am signed up for a race or two. Otherwise, I find myself losing focus on thinking about naps instead of running. So my sorta-fun FRIDAY question of the day would be:

WHAT IS YOUR NEXT RUNNING EVENT, WHEN IS IT, AND WHY ARE YOU RUNNING IT?

ANSWER: The Lederhosen Half Marathon, September 28th. New event for me. Looks like a fun event with a great after party (pretzels, beer garden!) in Newark, Delaware. I had a goal of running both a marathon and a half marathon in 11 different states. Delaware and South Carolina are the last two states that I need to complete the quest.

10/13. Chicago Marathon I’ve done WDW and NYC and want to do another big Marathon. I lived in Chicago after college and like the city. I loved NYC and want to see how Chicago compares

My next race is this morning! I use the term race loosely though. My kids and I are running the Mitchell's Run 5K and they have refused to train for it, so this will be interesting. They keep telling me, "don't worry mom, we've got this." :sad2:

Why? Because the start line is a 10 minute walk from our house and the kids have been so lazy lately, so I signed them up. With the Star Wars 5K being the last race they've done, Ben asked me yesterday, "we don't have to wake up at 3:00 in the morning for this one, right?" :rotfl:

Next race is tonight - local 5k at a brewery, ends with a beer and food trucks.

Was supposed to run with my sister as her couch to 5k race, but she broke her toe this week! So running with some friends from my running group and bringing the fam. Chance of thunderstorms now though!

ATTQOTD back to school and next race:

Today is our last day in California, we fly home tomorrow. I was able to run a few times 10k but now, at DL, just walking 15 hours a day will suffice... We are unable to pace ourselves. I am scared :scared1: for Dopey in January!

Next week (Aug 19) will be crazy with back to work, DD getting braces, DD’s 14th Birthday, buying school supplies and danse uniforms. I might take a day off work to make that plus my long run happen.

DD and I have a 5k next weekend (Aug 25) and right now her legs hurt from all the walking. We will see.

The week after, both DD start school (Aug 27 and 30). Morning runs will get harder to do, mostly because of darkness.

And the next big race is my first Marathon on Sept 22. I am motivated to train to make sure that I won’t hurt to much but it is hard to focus and follow a strict plan on holidays, and in the back to work/school craziness.

ATTQOTD: It was this morning actually! My oldest (8) and I ran the Derek Davis 5k and he did great!! I told him we would do 3/1 intervals. That is what we had been doing any time we ran this summer. He had a really bad run last week and it messed with his confidence some. He was flying this morning and seem annoyed every time we took a walk break claiming he didn’t need it. The 2nd and 3rd miles of the course are hilly so I kept telling him to conserve his energy by walking. I finally let him run the last 0.5+ out instead of stopping to walk. I seriously couldn’t catch up to him on the last stretch of the race. He didn’t even seem tired at the end either. For sure going to be signing him up for his schools run club this year!F2943BAC-4091-400C-9431-322BDA012715.jpeg

Ok everyone, I need some crowdsourced advice. I need a new hydration scheme. My Fuel Belt is on its last legs after 13 years. Looking for thoughts on handheld and waist packs, particularly Osprey & Nathan. And.....GO!

Ok everyone, I need some crowdsourced advice. I need a new hydration scheme. My Fuel Belt is on its last legs after 13 years. Looking for thoughts on handheld and waist packs, particularly Osprey & Nathan. And.....GO!

I really liked the amphipod center of the back single bottle. They've changed the belt design a couple of times, and I've heard people have issues getting the new belt tight enough. I like the bottle design, the hole on the top is big enough to make it easy to fill with ice. The only issue I've had is that the elastic strap which holds the bottle in seems to be flimsy. I've had that break on two separate belts. Also the bottle only holds 20 oz which may not be enough hydration for you.

I currently run with the Nathan 4 bottle belt. Most runs I only use two bottle slots. I like that I can vary what I am carrying based on that runs hydration needs. For me the cons of this belt is that it doesn't quite fit as well as the amphipod. The pocket on the belt is great for keys, a wallet ( and a small pack or emergency tissues/ toilet paper), but it doesn't fit a bigger phone. I do like that the nathan bottles are bigger than the fuelbelt bottles.

I have a couple handheld bottles.
I really liked the concept of the nathan soft bottle. It's really comfortable the way it fits in your hand. Its capacity is really small though and it's very hard to refill it during the run. (I used it during marine corp and I could only get 3 or 4 ozs into the bottle at water stops.

I got two of the fuelbelt enduro bottles in runner's world boxes. They've got decent capacity and are easy to refill but I didn't really like the weight of them in one hand while running. Both tops also seem to leak a little bit

Two of my running buddies both really like the Nathan handheld bottles. The insulated ones seem to do really well.

I refuse to answer a question ended with “And... Go!” on general principles.

But I’ll make an exception for you, since I’m not going to give an answer you asked for. I’ve had bad luck with handheld bottle (throw my balance off) and waist belts (spin around my hips annoyingly). I love Orange Mud hydration vests, though. The Endurance Pack is my favorite and I’ll use a 1L or 2L bladder in it, depending on what I need.

We just met the inventor of the Koala Bottle since lunch. This is the company that is sponsoring tomorrow’s trail races. The belt/ bottle are magnetized and he grabbed it and put it back behind him with no effort. The pockets are pretty large for carrying all the stuff, but it looked a little bulky to me. I also wonder if the magnets are weighty. I’ll give a report when I have a chance to hold it, see how heavy it is, see how much it holds, try the fit, etc. I had never heard of it before.

Mini Race Report

8/17- @OldSlowGoofyGuy - Awesome 80s 5k (24:59 / 25:28)

3/10 AG. 34/168 OA.

This is a small (170 runner) local 5K. The course is a rolling figure-8, with one significant 4% hill from about 1.75 to 2 miles. Nothing of scenic interest except a small portion next to Lake Lanier. The race started at 9, which seems crazy this time of year. My Garmin activity says the temperature was 79 degrees. Dew point was around 70.

I did a 30 minute warmup of slow jogging. They had a major fail right at the start. The course is straight for about 3 blocks then a 90 degree right turn. A local high school cross country team was running the race. Evidently, the young stallions got to the first turn before the volunteer was ready. They went straight and the rest of the runners followed them. It was mass confusion at the turn: runners going straight, runners coming back from going straight, runners turning, volunteers screaming to turn, etc. I was prepared to go straight, but made the turn one step before going the wrong way.

My plan was to try to run even splits in the 8:00-8:15 range. I wasn't sure that was going to happen in the heat, but it did. I had the Garmin on half mile auto laps with average lap pace and average pace displayed. I watch it like a speedometer almost the whole race. Half mile paces were 8:03, 8:11, 8:10, 8:37 (the hill), 8:05, 7:58, 7:05. I kept up my 5K streak by being so near-death at the end that the volunteers/medical staff ask me if I'm OK. The unspoken thought that shows on their face is 'Buddy, please walk a little further before you die, so you're out of my area of responsibility.'

After race goodies were the usual: fruit, water, sports drink, granola bars, donuts. No pizza or beer which is not to be expected at these local races.

The timing was such that after waiting for awards, it was too late for breakfast and too early for lunch, so I headed home and had a celebratory turkey sandwich washed down with multiple carb-reloading beverages.

The AG medal was nice. A lot of the smaller races have generic medals, but this was is a colorful custom job.

Not sure if I'd do this race again, mostly due to the time of year.

Terms and Conditions: By reading the following you agree not to criticize or post negative comments. :)

I was somewhat disappointed at the 3rd place AG. Under these conditions, my time would normally be good for a 1st place.
After getting home and looking at the results, I realized why. The age groups were 10 years rather than the usual 5 years. Understandable for a race this size.
1st and 2nd both went to 50 year old whippersnappers, so now I feel better.
I might have to do this race again to avenge my 3rd place finish.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!