The Running Thread - 2019

QOTD: To run with sore legs or not?

Backstory, I've done a few walks with my pup over the last few weeks and continue to do so this week but Tuesday decided to run during the heat of the day with a coworker who is starting to train for a half after completing her first 5k. We did 3 miles real easy and I did not die! Woke up with just a little soreness so I took the pup for a afternoon walk of 1.5 mi and then ran a mile. Well this morning things are a little tighter... Took the pup out for a 2 mile walk, thinking the legs would loosen up. Well not exactly. Supposed to run a few miles with coworker during lunch, it's not going to be pretty at all! Wish me luck because I am planning on going for it.

I agree with @Chaitali, pay attention to your form. If you're having to compensate for the soreness then you might end up with some pain that doesn't go away. But keeping good form may help work through the soreness. Hope yesterday went well for you!

ATTQOTD: What others have said with 2 additional thoughts:

1. If I'm sore equally on both sides, I consider it a good sign because it probably means I just over-did it it one way or another. If I'm sore only on one side, it seems more likely that it's an actual strain/injury.

2. I classify soreness/injuries as items or issues. Items require attention to make sure they don't become issues, but no change in training. Issues require a remediation plan, usually including skipping a day, etc.

My profession diagnosis from afar is that you didn't mention a specific pain spot, so this is an item that needs watching, but you are cleared to run. The bill is in the mail.
Remember the awful movie “The Program?”
“Are you hurt or are you injured?”

I am back from Germany and finally did an easy 3 miles after I put my kids to bed last night (after I had been awake 24 hours from our travel day). I thought it would help snap the jet-lag out of me. I have been exhausted today, so not sure if it worked. Anyway, some of my thoughts on the Berlin Marathon:

1. Communication from the beginning of registration to race day is very poor.
2. Signage is almost non-existent. I am glad I gave myself lots of time, because it took me nearly 45 minutes to figure out how to get to my corral. Same went for the end of the race. There was multiple ways to go after you got your medal. It took me forever to get my poncho and whatever food they had in a bag, take the stupid chip off my show, and then find the family meeting area.
3. Corral enforcement is a JOKE. I was in the first wave, corral C. This was 2:50-3:00 marathon times. I could not even get in it because it was so full. I stood with a bunch of others at the entrance to it and filed in when the race started. So many people were just jumping over the barrier and getting up front--people who were supposed to be further back. The volunteer just watched it happen, never saying a word.
4. It was so crowded, for awhile, but I seemed to be able to find open space. Many men were not nice and I would every now and then, find myself boxed in, unable to easily pass.
5. About half the amount of porta potties than they needed. I peed in the park behind some greenery as did so many other people.
6. Plastic cups. That was what water was in. They do not crush when running and became so slippery once it started raining. I don't get it. People have complained about it for years and yet there they were. They were suppose to use a recycled reusable cup but it wasn't there. I have no idea what happened with that plan but with they just used paper cups like every other race.
7. The shoe chip. You have to rent this and then take it off and give it back at the end or get charged another 25 euros. Have you ever tried bending and untying your shoe after a marathon with numb hands from the rain and cold? I could bend to the chip, but took me awhile to untie my shoe. They don't have anyone helping you and I saw just 2 ladies collecting the chips. So many people left with their chips. Also, I am hearing of people being charged even though they turned it in. They have to come up with something better.
8. No mile markers, just kilometers. I had mixed feelings about this before the race. I actually liked it. I didn't have the mile markers to play with my head and the kilometers come so much quicker--instant gratification.
9. Smoking along the course. So much smoking.
10. The course is as flat and fast as its reputation. There was a good amount of spectators which made it really nice. The rain put a little damper on it for spectators, but many were troopers and stayed out there. The roads are very well maintained and not as pot holed as Boston and NYC.
11. Around the 33 km mark, a spectator crossed in front of me with a bike. I sped up to get around her and she clipped my heel with the bike tire. I almost went down, Again, the volunteers do very little to prevent this stuff.
12. Despite all the negatives, I thoroughly enjoyed it! I would do it again, but not anytime soon--too far and expensive for travel.

A few pics:

5456_20190929_092045_183690573_original.JPG5456_20190929_095112_183429899_original.JPG5456_20190929_104410_184323275_original.JPG5456_20190929_113547_183498287_original.JPG5456_20190929_115055_183388980_original.JPG5456_20190929_115412_183302602_original.JPG5456_20190929_120534_184301099_original.JPG5456_20190929_122038_183348904_original.JPG5456_20190929_122040_184407007_original.JPG5456_20190929_122132_184148351_original.JPG

Berlin was one big clusterf*ck with organization. I can't believe a World Major Marathon has so many inconsistencies and poor communication. It really makes me appreciate how well organized the US majors are.

World Major doesn’t mean it’s any better than any other race. It only means the organizers have paid money to be put on a list. It’s why completing those six races is not really a special accomplishment compared to finishing any other six marathons. Don’t get me wrong. Running a BQ is a phenomenal accomplishment, but winning the lottery for London or Chicago is nothing extraordinary.

World Major doesn’t mean it’s any better than any other race. It only means the organizers have paid money to be put on a list. It’s why completing those six races is not really a special accomplishment compared to finishing any other six marathons. Don’t get me wrong. Running a BQ is a phenomenal accomplishment, but winning the lottery for London or Chicago is nothing extraordinary.

But you get a medal for completing all 6! Doesn’t that make it special? Bring the bling!

In all seriousness, though, I’d love to run London and Berlin just because I like the cities. Boston would be great for the history, but is a pipe dream for my pace. I’ve got no interest in Tokyo or NYC beyond that arbitrary challenge medal. Ran Chicago last year and found it to be well run and fantastically supported by spectators.

But you get a medal for completing all 6! Doesn’t that make it special? Bring the bling!

In all seriousness, though, I’d love to run London and Berlin just because I like the cities. Boston would be great for the history, but is a pipe dream for my pace. I’ve got no interest in Tokyo or NYC beyond that arbitrary challenge medal. Ran Chicago last year and found it to be well run and fantastically supported by spectators.
I've done Chicago and NY. I thought NY was a great race, but race day logistics for Chicago were much easier. I'd love to do London too.

I did my first race this morning, the Miles for Migraine 10k in Philadelphia. I was the very last person to cross the finish line, but beat my best training run time by almost a minute per mile. Average pace was 13’54”, which at least tells me that I’m in a good spot with 6ish months to go until the Star Wars half. Also, I’m down about 30 pounds from where I was when I started running earlier this year. Feels good to do a real race and cross a finish line, and get bling for a non-virtual race.

The
I did my first race this morning, the Miles for Migraine 10k in Philadelphia. I was the very last person to cross the finish line, but beat my best training run time by almost a minute per mile. Average pace was 13’54”, which at least tells me that I’m in a good spot with 6ish months to go until the Star Wars half. Also, I’m down about 30 pounds from where I was when I started running earlier this year. Feels good to do a real race and cross a finish line, and get bling for a non-virtual race.
the last horse back to the barn had the most fun.

Congrats on finishing your first race! The first one just leads to another and another and another...

And also congrats on the weight loss! That is awesome!

Congrats on your race!

Congrats!! Great job on your pace!

I managed to run and complete the Twin Cities Marathon Sunday morning. It went pretty good, though not as well as I had hoped. Now for starters, I had surgery 12-13 weeks before the marathon and was unable to run for 6 of those weeks, which means I had about 7 weeks or so of training. The training I had all went well, but I knew I wasn't ready to run as fast as I wanted. I started out with the 4:35 pacer. Things were going well running with him. When we hit the first water station he said they'd be walking the water stations. Unfortunately at this point my ego got the better of me and I ran through the station. Without him pacing my pace crept up faster than I should've been, especially that early in the race. I start clicking off sub 10 minute miles by mile 4, and no matter how much I tried to slow down, it just didn't work.

I was actually feeling good through all of this, both cardiovascularly and mentally, which has historically been one of my biggest struggles. Around mile 14 or so my feet started killing me. I'm sure part of this was due to the fact that I hadn't had as much time running post surgery as I would've liked and part of it seemed due to having tied my shoes a little too tight. I stopped around mile 18 to loosen my shoes. This alleviated a lot of the pain in my feet, but the bending over to do so seemed to cramp up my muscles. I was able to run to about 18.5-19 after that and my muscles completely seized up. I did walk/run to the end, still hoping to break the 5 hour mark. I kept doing time calculations to make sure I was on pace for this. I came over the top of the last hill and had a view straight down Summit Ave to the State Capital building in St. Paul with the finish line in the foreground. This was a welcome and motivating sight. I started running from there and finished off as strong as I could. I felt my calves and quads cramping hard, but was determined to finish strong. I crossed the finish line with a time of 4:53:58, almost 25 minutes faster than my first marathon and a new PR for me.

I was not thrilled by results, but am slowly coming to accept it and be proud of my accomplishment. All that said, the marathon itself was great. They call it the most beautiful urban marathon in America, and I do have to agree it was a beautiful course. Starts out in downtown Minneapolis before heading around some of the larger lakes in Minneapolis. Then it heads along the Mississippi river for many miles before crossing the river into St. Paul. Then it heads down Summit Ave for several miles lined with plenty of trees showing their fall colors. All along the way the residents on the route are out celebrating and cheering the runners as we pass. Many have their own aid stations set up with everything from bananas and candy to mimosas and beer, and anything else you might want along the way. It truly is a party atmosphere especially along Summit Ave and Minnehaha. If you are looking for a fall marathon to run I would highly recommend the Twin Cities. It is well organized and lots of crowd support.

@Wendy98 great review!! I’m of the mindset that the majors aren’t nearly as worth it as the best of the non-majors... after Boston this year, I think I’m going to focus on race quality over prestige. I may still try and get my 6 star, but I’m in no rush!! Also, very inspiring comeback from that gnarly injury earlier this year... can’t lie, when I was feeling a little down this month I keep remembering your x ray and your Berlin results 😆

@surfde22 congrats, it sounds like I should add Twin cities to my bucket list! Sorry to hear about the cramps, but great job fighting through adversity 💪🏻

No running for me last week. Trainer gave me a week off thanks to a bunch of stuff hitting at once. And then I stubbed my big toe Thursday night. It’s healing quickly so no worries now about missing MCM. But what was supposed to be only a week off to recover from Berlin turned into a bit longer then a week.

Left slightly guilty after prof got a deer in the headlights look when I reminded him I’m going to have to take our next exam early because of flying out for MCM. Admittedly he’s the type to prefer you take the exam early. So I’m playing by his rules next time. I keep having to remind myself that I am allowed a life outside of class and sometimes there is more to life then just class. It’s just hard at times when school seems to always have a ‘we trump everything attitude’. I do keep on top of my classes even when I’m out. Lord knows I spent several hours in Berlin working on math homework and a project.

At least when I fly for my doctors a week later I won’t be missing any tests. Just need to make sure I get my HW turned in.

Some of my decision making I think made more sense in the spring. Unfortunately for me registration for races occurred well ahead of registration for classes.

@surfde22 congrats, it sounds like I should add Twin cities to my bucket list! Sorry to hear about the cramps, but great job fighting through adversity 💪🏻

@canglim52 you definitely should add it to your list. One thing they do, that I find pretty cool and different than other races, is that the shirt is a finisher's shirt and not a participant shirt. You don't get your shirt until you are in the finish area after the race. In fact, they don't even reveal the design of the shirt and medal in advance. It's all kept under wraps until you finish.

Chicago Women’s 10 mile Oct 5 2019 2:05:19 (12:32 avg) PR

I’d much rather share race recaps where I’m at my best, but that wasn’t the case this weekend.
This was a PR for a 10 mile race since it was my first, but probably a PW for the actual 10 mile distance within a race. (ok I take it back I was definitely slower for the WDW half marathon this year but we were having FUN!!!)

After getting hit with two back to back flus and some kind of never-ending chest and head cold in Sept, I was literally almost willing to take my hubby’s advise to drop down to the 5k. I ran 1 mile the night before and it felt fairly ok so thought maybe I’d be just fine. I’m definitely on the mend but my training wasn’t what it should have been for several weeks.

Once I met up with Bree from the disboards I kind of just decided to do what I set out to do and complete the 10 mile course as planned. Just not as fast as planned. I told her at this point I’d be happy to sub 2 hours with a 1:50 in my head as a new goal.
My first 5 or 6 miles were fine, in the 11’s. But with significant chest phlegm and lower energy than I’d of liked. Legs felt ok. When I saw Bree on the out and back after mile 5 I knew she was having a good race and hoped she could hang on to the finish at that pace (she did!) That wasn’t in the cards for me as I started taking walk breaks off and on (not big ones) to catch my breath here and there (and to hock some lougies.) It was a war of willpower, mental and physical. I perform best when I don’t stop moving so there was no big kick back into gear on my last mile. Made the mistake of leaving my gels at home too (DOH.)
An annoying finish, but proud I finished it despite not knowing what my body would handle that day.

Feeling ready to flush 2019 in general but I have my Hot Chocolate 15k 5 year legacy race in November. Gonna do everything I can to take care of myself keep running so that outing has a better outcome.

The race was great weather (chilly but a good for race day), windy (but not too much), and some elevation (but nothing crazy) and very scenic (I love the lakeshore path.) Good swag and nice sized field. Not too small, not too large. Shared path with public but never was an issue for me. Awesome medals and macarons for finishing. Just wish I performed better.

I am back from Germany and finally did an easy 3 miles after I put my kids to bed last night (after I had been awake 24 hours from our travel day). I thought it would help snap the jet-lag out of me. I have been exhausted today, so not sure if it worked. Anyway, some of my thoughts on the Berlin Marathon:

1. Communication from the beginning of registration to race day is very poor.
2. Signage is almost non-existent. I am glad I gave myself lots of time, because it took me nearly 45 minutes to figure out how to get to my corral. Same went for the end of the race. There was multiple ways to go after you got your medal. It took me forever to get my poncho and whatever food they had in a bag, take the stupid chip off my show, and then find the family meeting area.
3. Corral enforcement is a JOKE. I was in the first wave, corral C. This was 2:50-3:00 marathon times. I could not even get in it because it was so full. I stood with a bunch of others at the entrance to it and filed in when the race started. So many people were just jumping over the barrier and getting up front--people who were supposed to be further back. The volunteer just watched it happen, never saying a word.
4. It was so crowded, for awhile, but I seemed to be able to find open space. Many men were not nice and I would every now and then, find myself boxed in, unable to easily pass.
5. About half the amount of porta potties than they needed. I peed in the park behind some greenery as did so many other people.
6. Plastic cups. That was what water was in. They do not crush when running and became so slippery once it started raining. I don't get it. People have complained about it for years and yet there they were. They were suppose to use a recycled reusable cup but it wasn't there. I have no idea what happened with that plan but with they just used paper cups like every other race.
7. The shoe chip. You have to rent this and then take it off and give it back at the end or get charged another 25 euros. Have you ever tried bending and untying your shoe after a marathon with numb hands from the rain and cold? I could bend to the chip, but took me awhile to untie my shoe. They don't have anyone helping you and I saw just 2 ladies collecting the chips. So many people left with their chips. Also, I am hearing of people being charged even though they turned it in. They have to come up with something better.
8. No mile markers, just kilometers. I had mixed feelings about this before the race. I actually liked it. I didn't have the mile markers to play with my head and the kilometers come so much quicker--instant gratification.
9. Smoking along the course. So much smoking.
10. The course is as flat and fast as its reputation. There was a good amount of spectators which made it really nice. The rain put a little damper on it for spectators, but many were troopers and stayed out there. The roads are very well maintained and not as pot holed as Boston and NYC.
11. Around the 33 km mark, a spectator crossed in front of me with a bike. I sped up to get around her and she clipped my heel with the bike tire. I almost went down, Again, the volunteers do very little to prevent this stuff.
12. Despite all the negatives, I thoroughly enjoyed it! I would do it again, but not anytime soon--too far and expensive for travel.

A few pics:

View attachment 441512View attachment 441513View attachment 441514View attachment 441516View attachment 441517View attachment 441518View attachment 441519View attachment 441520View attachment 441521View attachment 441522

Agreed about the porta potties. I was dropping my stuff off at bag drop pre race and had to navigate around the porta lines. I remember being glad I had used the restroom before I had started walking over from my hotel!

Last year I actually didn’t return my chip. Swallowed the fee (which worked out since I came back this year) because I was too tired and hot to find where I had to return it.

Honestly my other pet peeve with this race besides RR was other runners behavior. I’m an AWD who gets a medical bump. Berlin was NOT my first rodeo. I’ve done this enough times that I know exactly how to handle being in in a crowd that runs faster then me. Meaning start towards the back of the corral and tuck into the side. Once I got towards the end and there wasn’t nearly that many around me I did move to the tangent but that was when the course was the least crowded.

And yet I kept having runners squeeze by me in the early part of the race. Got knocked several times thankfully no falls. People you have the rest of my road to my left why you think going to the side with the least amount of room I have no idea. It’s a crowded course yes but there’s no reason to make both of us have a bad time and possibly take me out of the race.

Reusable cup was at one of the last aid stations. Why there and nowhere else god only knows.

Eh I agree with you on London but Chicago has one of the higher race acceptance rates. I would say winning the NYC lottery is extraordinary. NYC has around a 10 percent acceptance rate similar with a Tokyo. Chicago I believe is over 60? I’m not saying it’s not awesome to get in especially if local but it’s definitely one of the easier of the 6 to win the bib lottery for.

QOTD: To run with sore legs or not?

Backstory, I've done a few walks with my pup over the last few weeks and continue to do so this week but Tuesday decided to run during the heat of the day with a coworker who is starting to train for a half after completing her first 5k. We did 3 miles real easy and I did not die! Woke up with just a little soreness so I took the pup for a afternoon walk of 1.5 mi and then ran a mile. Well this morning things are a little tighter... Took the pup out for a 2 mile walk, thinking the legs would loosen up. Well not exactly. Supposed to run a few miles with coworker during lunch, it's not going to be pretty at all! Wish me luck because I am planning on going for it.

I run with sore legs when the soreness is not too bad. If it is really bad and hard to move, like after marathon soreness, no, I would take a day off then. I am beginning to appreciate a day off now, I am really trying to avoid injury going forward so I am trying to be cautious and smart when possible. I have found my motivation again and just want to keep the ball rolling.

I wouldn't mind London and Chicago because I have always wanted to see those cities but I couldn't care less about the others, other than Boston of course.

My wife was just asking me last night if I could only run one more marathon (not including Boston) what would I pick. Chicago was the only world major I listed as an option. MCM, Big Sur, Surf City, Disney, all came to mind before the other world majors.

Chicago has 1000 spots for Legacy BOA Shamrock shuffle runners of which I've now qualified and I've been presented with the option to try to be one of those for next years marathon. First come first serve. I have no idea if that is something I'd want to do or not but would have to decide pretty soon. My last marathon went so well and this year hasn't gone great. So I may just keep running shuffles and use that card up my sleeve for another year (if they keep offering the chance.) I still need to eventually run the disney marathon.

Hi everyone! The weather has finally cooled off in Virginia and weather people promise no more 90 degrees days this year! Yay!
Well the change in weather means everyone in my family has come down with a cold. Wife, kids, mom, dad, and me too.

What tips do you have to minimize the effects of a cold and congestion and keep on running? Medication, hot shower, goat yoga? What works for you?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!