The Running Thread - 2019

You all are making an excellent case for Binge Mode! I love HP and will have to check it out!

Its so worth it! Their GOT podcast was super helpful because I had never read the books before. New appreciation for the HP from beginning to end after listening to their Pods about it. And their Star Wars content is really good. I wasn't sure I needed an over an hour long podcast conversation specifically talking about Jar Jar Binks but in the end I enjoyed it.

Happy Thursday everyone. Hard to believe Thanksgiving is one week away here in the States.
Time for family, food, football, and............Turkey Trots?

Do you have a running event scheduled for Thanksgiving? Do you do it with friends and family? How about for the rest of the Holiday season....are there any fun running events that you like to do or hope to do one day?

ATTQOTD: I have never done a Turkey Trot. Mrs. Slogger has done them many times back when she first started running. We typically get the family together and just do a 30 minute run wherever we are on Thanksgiving morning.

For the rest of the Holiday season, we have done the Surfin' Santa multiple times. It's a 5 mile run held mid-December at the beach and at night. You run on the boardwalk and get to see lots of festive lights and decorations. One year everyone ran in Santa Suits. This year I think they are doing a Naughty or Nice theme, you pick which "team" you represent. It's a fun event!

I would like to do a Tacky Sweater/Ugly Sweater type of event. Gotta put those sweaters to good use.

Happy Thursday everyone. Hard to believe Thanksgiving is one week away here in the States.

Do you have a running event scheduled for Thanksgiving? Do you do it with friends and family? How about for the rest of the Holiday season....are there any fun running events that you like to do or hope to do one day?

YIPPIE FOR A FUN QUESTION!!!! I keep thinking I want to post one and cannot come up with anything :)

ATTQOTD: Two years ago my family participated in our town's turkey trot. The kids race was a mile, and there was a pretty big hill and my then 4yos couldn't cut it so we cut the course. This is also about the time I had gone to run Avengers and had watched some Youtube videos of runDisney events to see what they were like and my kiddo became obsessed with the idea of running as Tink. So for her less than a mile trot we suited her up in snow gear and Tink wings. It is one of my favorite pics as you can see determination on her face. You can also see in the background my husband and mother dragging along the other 4yo who was not enjoying it. They both sprinted the last half a block when they saw there were cookies at the finish line. I left to do the 5K and the rest of them waited with hot chocolate at Starbucks. We will do the kids race (shortened to a 1K this year) as a family, but I do not really enjoy 5Ks, so I have not yet registered for that. Also no grandma to help wrangle the kiddos, but they are so much easier as 6yos. I did preorder the InkNBurn Christmas shirt, but it was too small so I am hoping my exchange will come in before then. There is a 10K that is Sunday after Thanksgiving (the leftovers run) that I am negotiating with the family for me to run.

We traveled last year so I went for a run by myself. On a beach. It was magical and I would love to make that our holiday tradition!

The only thing scheduled for Thanksgiving is a nice, easy 3 miles. Friday my daughter and I will be driving down to Cocoa Beach from NC so that we can pick up our bibs and go to the Kennedy Space Center on Saturday. Then Sunday is the Space Coast Marathon, which I've focused my training on since mid-May. Here's hoping a suddenly stiff and iffy knee holds up through the race, at least. I'm in good cardio shape for a nice PR, assuming nothing breaks... Then Monday we'll drive home and I'll start counting down the days until Christmas and Dopey.

The last two years I have done the Turkey Trot in Austin, since we had our family T-Day in my son's current locale. This year we will be in MA, with my siblings and daughter, but as I am responsible for the turkey, I'll be busy. I do plan to go for the 5.5 easy scheduled on my marathon training plan. Thank goodness MA is on the eastern edge of the time zone vs MI--I should be able to get it done early.

I may do a Jingle Bell run with a friend. She is a sometimes runner who wants to be able to run the whole 5k. I keep telling her I would truly be happy to run with her at whatever pace she wants and will not desert her, but she doesn't seem to believe me.

I just signed up for a a 5k Turkey Trot in my town. I figure I have a 3 mile run on my training plan before an 11 mile run, so I might as well make it a fun 3 miles. Nobody else in my house wants to wake up, so it's just me. I wasn't going to do any more races until after Disney in January, but I don't think such a family oriented run would hurt (famous last words???). Part of me wants to run in costume, but I've seen a bunch of pics of last year's race and nobody was decked out. Not that that would normally stop me, but I really should be focusing time and $ on my Marathon week race costumes.

I had signed up to run a turkey trot last year, but was canceled due to extreme cold. We have a really fun one in my town where they give every finisher a pie. Unfortunately, we are heading to my in-laws on Wednesday so not running it this year. Maybe one year. This year, I just plan to do a few miles in the morning.

There is a 4 mile ugly sweater race i December that I am considering. All the proceeds benefit the local animal shelter and you get a medal for participating as well as some food and vodka (not beer I know). I'll probably do it as long as it doesn't sell out before I register. Hoping there will be a few black Friday codes for local race discounts as I had luck last year with this.

For some reason our town doesn't do our annual Turkey Trot ON Thanksgiving. It was actually this past Saturday and we weren't in town for it. So we have decided as a family to do a 5k that morning just because. I was looking at maybe signing up for a Virtual Turkey Trot so we can get a medal too.
No other fun races planned. Might last minute sign up for the Laughlin Half Marathon on 12/7. I did a few races in Phoenix last December but none of them wowed me enough to want to go back again. I wanted to do the Hot Chocolate Race in Phoenix but we are going to Disneyland that same weekend, so that wins.

I did the Turkey Trot in Dallas last Thanksgiving but not this year, though I will be running 3-4 miles that day and other runs that weekend. But I have a lot of holiday running.

Two weeks after Thanksgiving weekend is the Dallas 10k and Half Marathon Challenge. I’m doing the VIP tent mostly because it’s guaranteed Corral A, so I know I’ll start early. Because as soon as I finish, I have an evening flight to Disney World for 2 nights for holiday stuff. Then I get back Wednesday morning and do the Jingle Bell 5k on Friday.

I am visiting family in a very rural area, and they don't have an event like that. Otherwise I would probably do it!

I am doing the Space Coast Marathon the Sunday after Thanksgiving, so that is pretty close.

Not a fun question, but a question for the group. I always have a hard idea thinking of gift ideas (for me) for my FIL. He won't try to think of anything on his own, so if he doesn't get an idea, then he gives money, which he finds disappointing on Christmas morning.

So, I am planning to do the WDW Marathon in 2021, and I was thinking that a gift card for the registration fee would be a good idea. I know that for 2020, the fee was $190. The questions are: (1) is that likely to go up and by how much? (2) are there other fees (i.e., processing fee) that I'll have to pay when I register, and how much will those be? From what I have read, I can't pay with a gift card unless it covers the whole amount, so I want to be careful about that. I be thankful for any knowledgeable advice.

ATTQOTD: I've done the Atlanta half 4 times in the distant past. The last time I did it, it was freezing cold with a headwind that gave you negative ground-speed (I know this is impossible, but that's what it felt like). Plus, DW is anti-Thanksgiving races. So an easy 3 or 4 miler with no pace goal in mind, being thankful for the ability to do it and a gazillion other things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter