The Running Thread - 2019

ATTQOTD:
a) I am thankful for my body and the fact that I can take care of it (food, exercise, PT, trip to Disney, etc). Item wise, I am thankful for my iPhone (to track my running, take pictures and interact with you, DISboarders) and my running pants pockets to carry it! And I am thankful of my other running essentials like ASICS running shoes and supportive bras.
b) I purchased the Beat Solo3 Mickey 90th Edition a bit before Black Friday, 50% off here! Similarly, I bought Mickey sweatshirts for DM and I with 50% off at Old Navy the week before Thanksgiving. And I have ordered another pair of ASICS Nimbus on Black Friday but a winterized version... I am curious to see them, anyone has comments on them?

Attqotd A: my saucony peregrine trail shoes. Out of my four pairs of trail shoes, they are my favorite. They all felt great in the stores, but most gradually revealed flaws. The Salomons are not great on pavement and I have a lot of mixed snow/cement currently; the Altras don’t work that great with my running dynamic and I tripped a lot on trails, and bled; the Hokas were crushed under the weight of my colossal bulk
after 100 miles; and the peregrine‘S just do their thing. I should buy the GTX model for the deeper snow.

Attqotd: we bought a Minnie activity center/easel for our daughter over the weekend. That’s all.

I love my Peregrines!
For regular trail runs my Guide TRs are fine, but my Peregrines are my go to for OCR Races (Spartan) and they are fantastic. They drain well, they resist abrasion well and the mud traction is second to none.
I will be retiring my current pair after this weekends Spartan Beast as they have served me well and probably wont make it through another run through the washing machine....plus I won't have to pack them for the flight home.

ATTQOTD:
a. I'm thankful that I can continue to run, even if it's not always as fast as I would like to!

b. Last night, I had DH buy me a Garmin Venu for Christmas since it was $100 off. Anyone have any experience with these? Looks pretty much like a VA4 (I have the VA3) but with a better display.

Also, I bought some race/running stuff at the Space Coast Marathon expo this weekend.

1. Thankful for the opportunity to be able to runDisney. In large part that’s because of my friend and her family’s DVC contract. It allows me to stay for free during race weekends.

2. I bought a new sports bra, Adrenalines (testing them out today), craft gloves/mitten combo, and a smart wool headband. It’s my first winter running!

Question of the Day:
As the last weekend in the US seems to be about being thankful and consumption, with respect to the thread topic, (a) what Disney and/or running related items are you thankful for? (b) what running and/or Disney related things did you buy on Black Friday, small business Saturday, the Sunday with no tagline, or Cyber Monday?

a) I am thankful for the Sporthill 3sp winter running pants I bought 3 weeks ago, the Garmin 35 DH forced me to start using 18 months ago and to Disney for giving me the motivation to complete my first half marathon.

b) The only running item, in fact the only non consumable item, bought this weekend was the Skirt Sports Toasty Queen skirt/pants combo. My upper legs are still cold in the Sporthill 3sp pants when it is below 30. Hoping the combo helps.

ATTQOTD: I am very thankful I found runDisney in general, and for this community of people I have found. Everyone is always so supportive and it has renewed my love for Disney. What used to be a trip every few years has morphed into an annual trip (or 5 trips in one year like last year). Therefore, I am also thankful for a job that can support this love and a husband who is willing to watch all the animals while I am at Disney.

I did not buy anything Disney related. We are building a house, so I bought appliances and living room furniture. LOL.

November Totals:
148 Miles
9:39 Average Pace
147 Average HR

ATTQOTD:
A) I am grateful to be running. Simple as that. I lost a year to injuries and my stupidity of trying to “run thru it”. I am slower and heavier than I was, I am hoping to run ultras again one day; but mostly I am just grateful to lace up the shoes and actually run!

B) I avoid Black Friday with a passion. This last one I was on the last day of a Family Trip to DW. We did by a few things - 3 new Disney Ornaments, an Eeyore Pillow, stocking stuff (for the girls) and a Mickey Sweatshirt (for me). But I think it does not count as Black Friday purchasing. We were in the parks and bought them there. That is my story and I am sticking to it!

1. Thankful for the opportunity to be able to runDisney. In large part that’s because of my friend and her family’s DVC contract. It allows me to stay for free during race weekends.

2. I bought a new sports bra, Adrenalines (testing them out today), craft gloves/mitten combo, and a smart wool headband. It’s my first winter running!

Quoting to add that I also bought tulle and elastic to make my princess half costume!

ATTQOTD:

a) I am grateful that I was able to run for 75% of my pregnancy and even more thankful that running will be there when I'm able to return post-baby.
The WDW Marathon this year has been the biggest highlight of my running career and one of my favorite memories of all time- so much to be thankful for with that!
Running has provided such a great community (like you all!) and I love that you can be a part of the community no matter how far or fast you go.

b) I feel like I have been shopping non-stop getting ready for this baby! As far as Disney shopping, I did that about a week ago and ordered the Steamboat Mickey knit plush to put in baby's Christmas stocking and the Starbucks Disney holiday tumbler. Nothing really running related, I'm at a weird stage where I don't know what size to order in anything!

ATTQOTD:
a) I'm thankful for my running friends, whether they're in my local club or scattered around the world. It's nice to have an outlet for running and running discussions to prevent my wife from rolling her eyes whenever I talk about it too much at home. :)

b) I didn't buy anything during any of the sales except a few bottles of wine which will be shipped to us once we're in Florida for New Year's. I still looking at a dive trip next summer and have until Friday before the discount goes away.

ATTQOTD:

a. Thankful to be able to run, find time to run, and a family that is cool (for the most part) with how much time I do take up running.

b. I bought two new Headsweats visors and got some Disney PJs for christmas for the kids. I was really bummed that I couldn't find any discounts on the brand of Hokas that I run in. Ended up going ahead and getting a second pair so I can rotate for Dopey.

I thought of this QOTD awhile ago, but I keep forgetting to get online in the morning to ask it!

QOTD: When you "travel" to races, do you usually travel alone or with family/friends? And do you like it that way? (You define "travel" - it might be driving several hours, or an overnight stay, or far enough away that a flight is required, etc. You might have different answers for Disney vs non-Disney races.)

I will answer myself later, since I have a student waiting to see me! (priorities, ha)

I thought of this QOTD awhile ago, but I keep forgetting to get online in the morning to ask it!

QOTD: When you "travel" to races, do you usually travel alone or with family/friends? And do you like it that way? (You define "travel" - it might be driving several hours, or an overnight stay, or far enough away that a flight is required, etc. You might have different answers for Disney vs non-Disney races.)

I will answer myself later, since I have a student waiting to see me! (priorities, ha)

ATTQOTD: I have done both. When I'm going to Disney for a race weekend, my preference is to travel solo. That way I don't worry about my running needs like specific pre-marathon foods, needing to go to bed early, being slow getting around the parks after races, etc impacting someone else's vacation. I can set my schedule and do what I need to do when I need to do it. It was a little different this past weekend for Space Coast, though. Since I was driving to and from NC, it was nice having DD21 in the car to keep me company (and awake) during the long 9 hour drive down and back.

ATTQOTD: I have never travelled for a race, this upcoming marathon will be the first. And my wife is coming with me. Also I am traveling next June to Yellowstone and doing the Yellowstone Half, and the whole family is going. If I make Boston, also my whole family will come... so yeah, no solo trips for me.

ATTQOTD: I've always traveled alone, although next month, I have a friend coming with me to do the 5k and 10k, and I've met up with friends and family for the Disneyland races and the LA Marathon. The advantage of traveling alone is when I have to get up early for a race, I don't have to worry about waking anybody up.

Previous ATTQOTD: a) I'm thankful that so far I've been healthy and for the great people I've met through this board, and that the weather has, for the most part, been good for training. b) I did buy Aftershokz with their sale. I was also hoping for a good deal on Hokas, but that didn't happen. I actually thought I was going to spend a lot of money on the Shop Disney website, but I didn't really see anything I wanted badly enough.

ATTQOTD: I've traveled both with people and by myself. Both have their pros and cons. With traveling with by myself, I know I can go about and do what I want/need to do and don't have to worry about it bothering anyone. It goes without saying but its quiet when you travel by yourself. Quiet/being alone doesn't bother me but I know some that don't like to be alone much. The most important thing I've found with traveling with someone is that you have to be up front about what you need to do, what time you need to get up and leave, etc. I'm looking forward to having a friend come along with me for Dopey. She's doing two of the four races so it will be nice to have the company on the bus, waiting in the corrals, and running.

Usually with my running spouse or other friends, though sometimes by myself too.

My races have been within an hour of home or requiring a flight & hotel accommodations, so my answer has to do with the later.
I have always traveled with or to someone. Traveling to someone is fine, and traveling with DH is fine, but Wine & Dine with kids and grandparents was a zoo! Travel without kids is exponentially easier, but I will take the hassle to let them be able to participate in a run as well. Serious FOMO about 2020 rD races has set in over here, I would book January or February in a heartbeat if the kids mile opened up!

I have done both. Disney races have been solo and with family. However as of recently my Disney races might be solo for me getting there but once there I am with friends who I have met from here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter