The Running Thread - 2019

December Training Summary

Running duration = 21:58 hours
Running mileage = 159.8 miles
Average Pace = 8:15 min/mile (about 25% slower than estimated LT pace)
Average HR = 134 (69% HRR)
Indoor Cycling duration = 41:46 hours *PR
Indoor Cycling mileage = 641.9 miles *PR
Indoor Cycling average power = 181.6 watts (69% FTP) *PR
Indoor Cycling average Normalized Power = 196 watts (75% FTP)
80 Day Obsession = 9:56 hours
Total Training Time = 73:41 hours *PR

December was good for me. A very ambitious month and for the most part I was able to do everything scheduled. About the only major change was dropping my peak long run from 23 miles down to 8.5 miles. It occurred at 2am just after landing in Disney after the prior day already doing 6hrs of indoor cycling and a 45 min run with no sleep between. Listened to my body on that one. But set PRs all over the place. Longest training run ever (22.8 miles), longest indoor cycling ride ever (6hrs), and most training in a single week (19:55 hours) just to name a few. I've done everything I can in December to set myself up for the Disney Marathon. Happy to feel I have thrived because of this plan rather than surviving it.

2020 Training Summary

Running duration = 155:41 hours
Running mileage = 1118.4 miles
Average Pace = 8:21 min/mile
Average HR = 137 (71.5% HRR)
Running activities = 160
Indoor Cycling duration = 341:47 hours *PR
Indoor Cycling mileage = 5386 miles *PR
Indoor Cycling average power = 168 watts *PR
Indoor Cycling average Normalized Power = 184 watts *PR
Indoor Cycling activities = 219 *PR
80 Day Obsession duration = 164:39 hours *PR
80 Day Obsession activities = 192 *PR
Total Training Time = 662:07 hours *PR
Total Training activities = 571 *PR
Avg. # workouts per day that I workout (Mon off) = 1.8 *PR
Avg. workout duration per day that I workout (Mon off) = 2:07 hours *PR
Avg. workout duration per activity = 1:09 hours

What a year. The running was definitely down as was the plan. I finished with slightly less mileage than the injury plagued 2018 (1248 miles), but far less than 2017 (2500 miles) and 2016 (2582 miles). Even with that, I was able to set a HM PR of 1:28:40 (my first time sub-90). So running less, but increasing indoor cycling and strength workouts has put me in a good position physically. That's even while weighing nearly 15-20 pounds heavier than when I set my HM PR in Jan 2018 (I'd like to think it's muscle mass since my clothes still fit normally). Ultimately the goal of reducing the running training load was to reduce my occurrences of injuries. Outside of a back injury that manifested as a strained glute muscle, I was fairly healthy in 2019. I'm probably out of my mind for tolerating the 342 hours on the indoor cycling trainer. It's allowed me to watch A LOT of streamed options. But it's definitely been a huge time commitment and some very very early mornings to get these double workouts in on most every day. Now it's time to taper in the beginning of 2020 and hopefully reap all the benefits on Jan 12th.

Wouldn't this depend on whether you were running in the morning or evening? Presumably for a morning run, the T+D would increase over the course of the run, but in the evening the opposite would occur. I mention this because I usually run in late afternoon/evening in the summer, which I realize is not what most folks do, but perhaps the OP may.

The T+D adjustment has been such a relief for me in hot and humid summers - such a difference in how much I enjoy my summer runs since I have been taking it into account.

Agreed. I rephrase my original response to say, I base the workouts based on the highest T+D that I believe I will encounter during the entirety of the run.

2019 total miles - 1,425.70. My goal for ‘19 had been 1,500 miles, but I knew a while ago that making that mark was unlikely. I’m good with that though. 1,425.70 is still 408.20 miles more than I ran in ‘18. For next year I don’t think I’m going to have a mileage goal though. At points this year, running get more like a chore with trying to get a specific number in.

2019 Running Highlights:
- Found a run group that I clicked with easily.
- Broke 2 hours in the Half- Marathon at the Hershey Half-Marathon. Also smashed my PR by 9:53. PR = 1:50:43.
- Completed the Freedom Challenge which was running the Philly Half & Philly 8K on 11/23 and then running the Philly Marathon on 11/24. Also got a new Marathon PR of 4:46:31.

Dec Miles: 163.6
2019 Miles: 1868.7

I believe this is the most miles in a year for me. I started running in 2014. I set a marathon PR in March. I ran a lot of marathons and struggled through the summer and fall. Didn’t meet my goal for my fall marathon. Struggled with motivation for a month after MCM 50k monsoon, but finally was feeling more motivated this month to stay on schedule to be prepared and have a fun/not miserable Dopey. The plan for the spring is to run as many of my miles with friends as possible, enjoy the miles, and not worry too much about pace.
My struggle right now, for whatever reason (I haven’t had this problem in previous years), is not wanting to run when it is dark and cold. I don’t like the cold - it’s really not that cold, and I know I would be fine once I started, but I can’t talk myself into starting. This is why I want to run with friends as much as possible. If I have a time and place to meet people, I will get it done. I’ve ran on my treadmill more the last month, than I probably have before. It’s old, and this last week has started to slip, and I can’t run on it anymore. The calibration on it is way off also (and the Incline is stuck on, so the back is propped up with phone books to make it closer to 1% incline 😂). So... I ordered a new treadmill, hoping that this will help me keep up my running when I don’t feel like getting outside and dealing with darkness and weather.

I’m hoping for a good 2020! Maybe I’ll try for a fall half PR...

December Miles: 163.1
Average Pace: 11:37/mile

2019 Miles: 1,215.8
(2018 Miles: 1,296.2)

2019 began with my first full marathon and I’m looking forward to marathon number two in just over a week! While I was unable to PR the half marathon (my current PR is from August 2018), I did PR both the 10k and 15k distances this year. Running is not easy and it surely doesn’t get any easier with age, so I’ll take it!

I'm in Singapore, so unfortunately don't think my local races would work for your friend!

Our local races tend to have fairly long cut off times (the other major marathon here has a 7.5 hour cut off, and half marathons have around a 4-4.5 hour cut off). I'm pretty grateful for this as the year round heat and humidity here (think Florida in summer) can make it really hard to run so it's always nice having the time buffer...

Thanks, you’re right that she’s probably not going to want to go that far! That makes sense that the heat and humidity would need races to have a longer time limit.

Happy New Year, Ya'll!!

December was a big month for me! I ran 70.4 miles which is my highest mileage month ever!

2019 marks my first full and dedicated year of running. I've come a long way! Last year I had around 75 miles of running. This year I hit 500.1! Compared to some of ya'll that amount is low, but it's huge for me! I'm excited to see what 2020 brings. I'm setting a goal of 620 miles and hope to hit it.

Happy New Year!

December was a good one! I managed 198 miles with an average pace of 8:20. I only started training and tracking mileage at the end of May 2019, and logged 1737 km (Canadian...we work in km) between May 30 and Dec 31. I logged 31:30 hours of workouts in the month of December, which is an all-time high for me! I've been so pleased with being able to return to more serious training and running in 2019 and it's made a huge difference in my overall happiness. I have big plans for 2020, including working towards Boston 2021. I'd like to run a sub-40 10K, but I'm not sure that will happen this year.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

December
total: 70.64
pace: 8:13

total: 1752.69 (~400 more than 2018)
pace: 8:49

Wow, 2019 was an eventful running year. First marathon: had lots of fun and achieved a dream running goal. Also PR'd a half marathon at a pace I never thought sustainable, which allowed me to qualify for another marathon. But with the PR's came a promise to my family to leave serious training behind...

So, goal for 2020: enjoy my only race - no time goal, just hope not to get on the sweep bus and same for 2021 - otherwise, run what I can! :)

Happy New Year! 2019 summary below:

The year started well, for the first 8 days anyway, then on the 9th day I ran too hard down a big hill and caused some issues with my ankle. I reduced running in an attempt to run through but this wasn't working, so stopped running mid February. I didn't lace up the shoes again until late May, and slowly got back in to it. Fortunately the complete break seemed to sort it.

I had some solid but unspectacular months but was enjoying being able to get out. I had a good race late October with the Auckland half, nowhere near a PB but a very enjoyable race. I also carried on running Every Single Street of Auckland, and found a cool website that tracks progress (City Strides - link to my profile page https://citystrides.com/users/12104). I have run 99% of my local borough and about 11% of the greater Auckland region.

I decided to finish the year strong with a run streak for the month of December. I enjoyed this challenge, I made sure I included short easy runs (my self determined minimum was 2km). Only a couple of days were a struggle to get out, though I did enjoy the da off New Years Day.

2019 totals 1192km (741 miles) about half my 2018 total..
December total 227km (141 miles) third best month ever

Will head over to the 2020 thread to post goals for this year!

No big December totals to report. I mostly rode my bike this month. 25 rides though and lots of output PRs! It gets easier each day.
I'm finally going to do a streak (never have done one before) for the month of January. I will either run or bike every day of the month. Started with a 6.25 mile bike ride yesterday. Will ride again tonight and then run this weekend.
My first little goal of the year is to get back into the good habits again so I'm already fully habit-formed by the time I start "really training."
Big 2020 goal is the Chicago marathon. I'm signed up so the work starts now :)

Happy New Year everyone.

Just checking in with my results from December. Nothing impressive. I ended up getting sick last week so I decided to shut it down for the month as I was feeling so tired and I figured my body was telling me something. This is my third cold since October and I usually never get sick. But, I ended up with 49 miles exactly. I was on pace for over 90 but I am fine. I will now hopefully start building my mileage and get ready for my 2020 running goals!

Great job everyone for a solid 2019. Whether you hit all your goals or you didn't you did more than if you sat on the couch all year!

December totals: 66 miles. (Does not include the many miles walking around Disneyland on two separate multi day trips this month)

Year totals: 483 miles. A lot lower than last year, but that's because work and no April race, plus a nasty 3 week June cold caused me to take more time off than I would otherwise. I also note that those 483 miles include my first marathon ever as part of Dopey and a PR at the half marathon in September. And a 5K PR that also included pacing my nephew to first in his age group which made him very excited. He would have worn his Star Wars themed local 5K medal to The Rise of Skywalker when we went to see if his dad didn't remind him that the theater might not let him take his medal in with him.

December closed with me running but 25 miles and irritating my family by bringing running shoes to go out on vacation to make it to 500 miles in 2019. Both of these numbers are much lower than I had planned on, so there is plenty of opportunity to improve.
2019 brought my first 3 half marathons, my first running injury, and a more laid back attitude toward most things in life, including running. 2019 also brought many disney opportunities including watching my kids run and our first 2k mile road trip to WDW. I have had disappointing years, this is definitely not one of them. Thank you all for your participation on the thread. Your advice, commiseration, and humor added positivity to my year.

December Total: 32.2 miles

This is way under what it should have been. Sickness and vacation didn’t help but :confused3

Total miles for 2019: 581.6

I did not hit my goal for 2019 and I’m okay with that. Life happens. I’m still amazed at what all I did accomplish.

5K - 6 total (4 of them included at least one of my children)
Marathon Relay - 1
Half Marathon - 2 (PR)

What’s in store for 2020, at least tentatively:

Marathon Relay - 1
10K - 2
5K - 2
Half Marathon - 1 (W&D 🤞)

Happy (belated) New Year everyone. Was on a cruise and just got back last night!

December miles 151
2019 miles 1454 (new PB)

Ran 4 HM and a marathon in 2019 but no PRs this year.
2020 will bring my 15th marathon and 25th HM but probably less running miles, and more biking and swimming.
Might try a duathlon or a sprint tri this year.

December Training Summary

Running duration = 21:58 hours
Running mileage = 159.8 miles
Average Pace = 8:15 min/mile (about 25% slower than estimated LT pace)
Average HR = 134 (69% HRR)
Indoor Cycling duration = 41:46 hours *PR
Indoor Cycling mileage = 641.9 miles *PR
Indoor Cycling average power = 181.6 watts (69% FTP) *PR
Indoor Cycling average Normalized Power = 196 watts (75% FTP)
80 Day Obsession = 9:56 hours
Total Training Time = 73:41 hours *PR

December was good for me. A very ambitious month and for the most part I was able to do everything scheduled. About the only major change was dropping my peak long run from 23 miles down to 8.5 miles. It occurred at 2am just after landing in Disney after the prior day already doing 6hrs of indoor cycling and a 45 min run with no sleep between. Listened to my body on that one. But set PRs all over the place. Longest training run ever (22.8 miles), longest indoor cycling ride ever (6hrs), and most training in a single week (19:55 hours) just to name a few. I've done everything I can in December to set myself up for the Disney Marathon. Happy to feel I have thrived because of this plan rather than surviving it.

2020 Training Summary

Running duration = 155:41 hours
Running mileage = 1118.4 miles
Average Pace = 8:21 min/mile
Average HR = 137 (71.5% HRR)
Running activities = 160
Indoor Cycling duration = 341:47 hours *PR
Indoor Cycling mileage = 5386 miles *PR
Indoor Cycling average power = 168 watts *PR
Indoor Cycling average Normalized Power = 184 watts *PR
Indoor Cycling activities = 219 *PR
80 Day Obsession duration = 164:39 hours *PR
80 Day Obsession activities = 192 *PR
Total Training Time = 662:07 hours *PR
Total Training activities = 571 *PR
Avg. # workouts per day that I workout (Mon off) = 1.8 *PR
Avg. workout duration per day that I workout (Mon off) = 2:07 hours *PR
Avg. workout duration per activity = 1:09 hours

What a year. The running was definitely down as was the plan. I finished with slightly less mileage than the injury plagued 2018 (1248 miles), but far less than 2017 (2500 miles) and 2016 (2582 miles). Even with that, I was able to set a HM PR of 1:28:40 (my first time sub-90). So running less, but increasing indoor cycling and strength workouts has put me in a good position physically. That's even while weighing nearly 15-20 pounds heavier than when I set my HM PR in Jan 2018 (I'd like to think it's muscle mass since my clothes still fit normally). Ultimately the goal of reducing the running training load was to reduce my occurrences of injuries. Outside of a back injury that manifested as a strained glute muscle, I was fairly healthy in 2019. I'm probably out of my mind for tolerating the 342 hours on the indoor cycling trainer. It's allowed me to watch A LOT of streamed options. But it's definitely been a huge time commitment and some very very early mornings to get these double workouts in on most every day. Now it's time to taper in the beginning of 2020 and hopefully reap all the benefits on Jan 12th.

that is a tremendous amount of training riding. What platform are you using - been on TrainerRoad in 2019, Zwift in 2018 - need a change in 2020

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter