The Running Thread - 2019

ATTQOTD: Winter, definitely winter. Being in the south, no snow or ice to worry about, and the temps are never too bad. Unlike death... I mean summer.

Very disappointing discovery today, walked to the showers at work to change for my lunch run, and they were closed.... permanently. Turning it into a conference room. There are other ones but they are in a building across the campus from my office. Will have to cut my run shorter to account for the extra time going to that one and back afterwards.

ATTQOTD: I like it to be cool to cold when running - preferably about 50 F or below (within reason, say down to about 20 F). So any season that fits within that range is good for me. Where I live, that rules out most of the summer and a good part of spring/fall. But, even when it's "too hot", I see silver linings in most seasons - fall foliage, spring blooms, long summer days, etc.

QOTD: What is your favorite season of the year to go for a run and why?

Spring/fall. Sun rises early enough that I don't have to worry about it being dark during my run, cool enough that I'm not worried about overheating, warm enough that I don't need the long-sleeve shirt.

This question's been asked before, but I'll ask it again: Do you listen to anything while you run, or are you alone with your thoughts?

So far I've almost always listened to music on my runs, and I have a few playlists for the purpose (including a custom Disney playlist). I've tried podcasts and struggled with them because they take up too much of my attention...and because it's hard to run and laugh at the same time. Once or twice now I've tried a relatively short run music-free (the last was a 3 mile run in January because I forgot my phone at home and didn't want to drive back from the park to get it). It wasn't as stressful as I thought it might be to lack the distraction, but I wonder if the fact that I pushed myself too hard on that run has anything to do with not having a distraction and/or wanting to get the run over with. In general I'm someone who usually has something going on to occupy my brain, but I'm not sure if that's an argument to keep doing the music thing since it's what's normal for me, or if it's an argument to unplug and take my runs as time to be alone in my head. I'm also thinking ahead to races--the last 5K I ran, I ran with music but kept the volume very low so I would hear any conversation around me. I'm not sure if a silent half marathon is something to strive for in June or if music would help me with what will probably be a difficult race. I do think I will need to start training without music more often if I want to go without it for a race.

What's everyone else's audio habit? Is it different when you're training versus when you're racing?

I listen to music much to my husband's dismay. I have run without music and it is fine, but I prefer something. I tried podcasts, but I hated concentrating that much on the story so save those for my commute. I keep the music low and most of the time it is just background noise. I almost bought Aftershokz on Black Friday when they were having a major sale, but didn't pull the trigger in time and they sold out. I id get a pair of Jaybirds for Christmas which I like, but will probably get the Aftershokz eventually.

ATTQOTD: I really like fall for the cooler weather, but makes me sad for less hours of daylight. So I guess I will go with late Spring - no snow/ice, not too hot, and longer daylight.

Want to ask - has anyone here tried Oofos? Are they as good as they seem to be for reducing feet pain after a run?

I've had the clogs and flip-flops for a couple of years. I love them. They're all I wear around the house. The clogs do make your feet sweat, even in winter, and are pretty ugly/goofy, but who cares if they feel good?

Hey look, an on time ATTQOTD from me!

I'm going to go against the grain and say summer! I may change my mind as I start putting in more miles in marathon training and I'm at more risk of overheating on my long runs, but since I prefer to do my runs early in the morning I get to enjoy the nice temperatures before it heats up, which I never did before I started running. We only have a few months of hot weather here and it's usually very dry and clear, so the temperature still drops pretty well overnight and it's nice in the mornings. Since summer in northern climes means very long days, too, I get to see the sunrise on even my earliest runs. I also like that I don't have to think about what I'm going to wear for my runs--the answer is always capris and my open-back tank top.

Heck, I had one day last summer where I didn't manage to make my morning run and did it after work instead, in nearly the hottest part of the day. I just took it slow and I had a fantastic time with it. I've noticed heat (at least dry heat) doesn't bother me as much as it bothers some people I know.

The chat about distracted drivers and what we should/shouldn't do as pedestrians reminded me of something that happened to me a while back...

For background, I'm a very petite female and probably look like an adolescent or young teen from behind, especially in the dark (not that that should matter). I was running one evening after dark, in my immediate neighborhood, on the proper side of the road (facing oncoming traffic, had there been any oncoming traffic), but not actually in the road - there's a long parking lot running parallel to the road and I was in it, say a foot from the actual roadway on my right. I hear a car approaching from the rear, see the light from its headlights in my peripheral vision, and sense that it's 1. slowing down - WAY down, and 2. moving to my side of the road. Sure enough, it pulls over to the wrong side of the road, right next to me, and an older man rolls down his window. Idling forward slow enough to match my pace, he leans out the window and says, "You really need to wear brighter clothes so we can see you better, young lady!"

Further background: I was carjacked many, many years ago. The attacker tried to push me into the passenger seat, but I fought my way out. I don't remember most of it, but the indelible impression with which I was left was to be way more observant of my surroundings, and trust my gut when something feels wrong.

Back to the Old Man and the Car... I immediately knew that I was fine, he didn't mean me harm, and I was in no danger. But I was also PISSED. So I stopped dead, whereupon he stopped his car, thinking we'd be having a nice chat. I asked, "Did you see me well enough to not run me over?" He replied, "Yes..." And I said, "Then mission accomplished. Let me ask YOU something: do you have any idea how terrifying it can be as a woman to have a man in a car slow down next to you and start talking? Do you realize you're on the wrong side of the road right now? Did you think for even a moment that we live in a Concealed Carry state and I may be packing?" He just looked dumbfounded and I smiled and said, "Have a nice night!" and ran off.

I would never have done any of this under some other circumstances, but the paternalistic nonsense was just too much for me!

Aftershokz are great! Pull the trigger! I’m very finicky about my equipment. I don’t like the feel of earbuds shoved into my ear canal, I constantly yank corded headphones out of my ears one way or another, and I like being able to hear what is going on around me. Aftershokz solved all of these issues for me.
and the DISenablement has begun.

FALL!!!!
I love the smell of fall. I love the crunch of leaves. I LOVE long runs through tailgating college football fans. It is not terribly cold or humid, and there is not the endless rain we often get in spring.

Working backwards, when do I dislike running?
Not August, Mostly not Jan-Feb. Sometimes March & April.

The chat about distracted drivers and what we should/shouldn't do as pedestrians reminded me of something that happened to me a while back...

For background, I'm a very petite female and probably look like an adolescent or young teen from behind, especially in the dark (not that that should matter). I was running one evening after dark, in my immediate neighborhood, on the proper side of the road (facing oncoming traffic, had there been any oncoming traffic), but not actually in the road - there's a long parking lot running parallel to the road and I was in it, say a foot from the actual roadway on my right. I hear a car approaching from the rear, see the light from its headlights in my peripheral vision, and sense that it's 1. slowing down - WAY down, and 2. moving to my side of the road. Sure enough, it pulls over to the wrong side of the road, right next to me, and an older man rolls down his window. Idling forward slow enough to match my pace, he leans out the window and says, "You really need to wear brighter clothes so we can see you better, young lady!"

Further background: I was carjacked many, many years ago. The attacker tried to push me into the passenger seat, but I fought my way out. I don't remember most of it, but the indelible impression with which I was left was to be way more observant of my surroundings, and trust my gut when something feels wrong.

Back to the Old Man and the Car... I immediately knew that I was fine, he didn't mean me harm, and I was in no danger. But I was also PISSED. So I stopped dead, whereupon he stopped his car, thinking we'd be having a nice chat. I asked, "Did you see me well enough to not run me over?" He replied, "Yes..." And I said, "Then mission accomplished. Let me ask YOU something: do you have any idea how terrifying it can be as a woman to have a man in a car slow down next to you and start talking? Do you realize you're on the wrong side of the road right now? Did you think for even a moment that we live in a Concealed Carry state and I may be packing?" He just looked dumbfounded and I smiled and said, "Have a nice night!" and ran off.

I would never have done any of this under some other circumstances, but the paternalistic nonsense was just too much for me!

I never know what to say in the moment, and if that had happened to me I probably would have been left stewing over it without having told him off. Kudos to you!

Not 100% related but on the "it's frightening to have a car slow down next to you" front--yeah. Not long ago I was out for an evening run in my neighborhood, after the sun had gone down, since it goes down very early in winter. An SUV was going up the same block as me, and half a block ahead of me it just stopped at the intersection. For context, this was not a spot with a light or a stop sign; I live in a historic neighborhood that's laid out in a grid, so there are intersections literally every block and everyone who lives here knows to just slow down and look (stop signs and lights are reserved for the one-way streets used as throughways). This SUV just...sat there, half a block ahead of me, stopped for no apparent reason. Probably they were on their phone or checking directions or something, but all I could think was that I was alone on this street and I had no idea who this person was or what their intentions might be. Then there's the question of, well, is it weird to just turn around mid-block and go back the other way? Is it worth looking weird just in case? I took an unscheduled walk break and thankfully they drove on again before I got close enough I would have had to turn around to avoid going past them. I'm not sure if drivers realize how threatening they can come across to someone who's out alone.

When I run I try to say “Hi,” smile, and or wave to be polite. When a guy ignores me I think, “we’ll, allright *******.” When a woman doesn’t respond I think, “I get it. men are trash.”

Want to ask - has anyone here tried Oofos? Are they as good as they seem to be for reducing feet pain after a run?

I bought some at the Expo and wore them after the marathon. The main reason i bought them is i forgot to pack sandals and i knew i would be waiting around after the marathon and i would need to take my shoes off. I hate the toe thing but because of my narrow feet i had to get ones with the toe thing. I don't mind the arch. I am not sure they really help with recovery of my feet. I did enjoy wearing them after my 50k.

TL;DR: I like them but they are not a magic bullet. They are fine for sandals, so are Tevas.

Then there's the question of, well, is it weird to just turn around mid-block and go back the other way? Is it worth looking weird just in case?
Let me help you with that: who cares, be safe, no matter how weird it may look! And I know that's hard. It's honestly the reason I was carjacked in the first place. The guy looked familiar-ish, it was on the city street I lived on, in a busy bar district, it felt "wrong" when he walked up to my car, but I didn't want to offend him if he was an acquaintance of mine or my roommates, so instead of driving away, I actually rolled down my window to talk. So stupid in hindsight, but avoiding weirdness is so wired into our psyches, it's hard to resist!

Then there's the question of, well, is it weird to just turn around mid-block and go back the other way? Is it worth looking weird just in case? I took an unscheduled walk break and thankfully they drove on again before I got close enough I would have had to turn around to avoid going past them. I'm not sure if drivers realize how threatening they can come across to someone who's out alone.

no, not weird. Enough people think we are odd out running at all, so anything you do seems odd. Also, plenty of people double back on their out and back route all the time, no need to be bound to the grid of roads, maybe you want to turn around at a favorite crack in the sidewalk, or where you found $20 on the sidewalk, or a million other silly, weird, or odd reasons.
Go with your gut, turn around, there is little downside to it.

ATTQOTDY: Umm as far as avoiding injuries, I feel like consistency and building slowly are the best method. A lot of my issues with shin splints started when I got inconsistent and then tried to immediately pick up where I left off. Cross training to correct muscle imbalances has helped a lot as well as the foam roller and the dreaded stretching.

As for listening to anything when I run, the answer is almost always yes, but depending on the circumstance it's different things. If I'm running alone, it's a podcast. probably star wars themed- I'm a geek like that), if I'm running with my running buddy it is a playlist of some type, with the volume low and only one ear bud in because we are talking. RunDisney races I only play music when it is a long road stretch. Other races, usually the whole race.

ATTQOTD: It's hard to say honestly, because the weather on the texas gulf coast is so varied. Generally I like it to be cooler, so I guess "winter" such that it is here. I definitely do NOT like running in the summer heat.

I almost always listen to something when I run. It tends to be music during races or speed work and either podcasts or audio books during slower runs. I have aftershokz so I can still hear traffic and keep the volume pretty low.

For the person earlier that mentioned wanting to enjoy the race experience but worrying about needing music later in the race, I've started my music and had the headphones on, and just paused it. I unpause when music is needed. I feel like it allows for the best of both worlds.

I love my Oofos! I was told I need to wear supportive shoes all the time and shouldn't be barefoot. I have an indoor pair of oofos I wear in the house and an outdoor pair I wear during the Summer for casual shoes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter