The Running Thread - 2019

QOTD: Long runs on the weekend. Do you prefer to run them on Saturday or Sunday? Why?
I prefer to run long on Sundays. My training programs have always scheduled my long run for Sunday and I like that it gives me a day to recover from the work week. After getting up between 4 and 4:30 am for days... I am tired!

That being said, I prefer to race on Saturday. I would much rather get it over with (boy, that sounds like I don’t even enjoy racing! Hopefully you understand what I mean...) so I can enjoy the remainder of my weekend before returning to work.

Any other non-standard lacing patterns you would suggest checking out?
If you Google it, you will find several suggestions for different problems.

ATTQOTD:
My preference for long runs is Saturdays, but with my @DopeyBadger plans, Sundays work out best for LRs even if I can’t start them until the afternoon. Saturdays are used for my mid-range runs.
The running group I run with has their long runs on Saturdays, so I get creative with running with them - meet them a mile or so into the run, so I can maximize the distance I get to run with them.

Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon Report

For once the weather report got better and better as race day approached. The first time I checked, the low for the morning was in the 60s and the highs in the mid-80s and possible thunderstorms. By race day the low was upper-40s/low 50s, and highs in the mid 70s, 10-15mph wind, and it was supposed to be overcast- however it was sunny with no clouds. Otherwise the temps were okay.

My plan for this race was just to take it easy. This was my 3rd marathon since the end of March, so no plans to try and beat my PR from that first one. The race started at 6:30 and had 5 corrals. I started in corral C about 6:45. The race starts right next to the Memorial. They have a mini church service at the Survivor Tree about an hour before race start, and a moment of silence for the 168 people killed in the bombing.

A couple of my running friends found me in the corral right before we started. They were running the half and planning to take it easy. I decided to run with them for a while, since I had no time goal. I ran with them for about the first 3-4 miles. They decided they probably wanted to walk up some of the hills, and told me to go on. There was lots of support on the course. Lots of water stops. I always carry water with me, because I want water/nutrition when I want it, and I don’t want to have to wait a mile or two for it, but I might have actually been okay with only using their water, there were so many of them (and it wasn’t too hot like this race can be 80% of the time). About mile 17, I caught up to another friend. She doesn’t do too well with heat, and although it wasn’t toooo hot, when the wind wasn’t blowing on you, the sun was beating down, and it did feel pretty warm at times. Since I had no time goals, and she wasn’t running too much slower than I wanted to run, we stuck together until the end. It was good to have someone to run with. The race is in the process of ‘Changing Course’. This was the first year of it, and it had a new finish line area. It ended at the Myriad Gardens, so a big park-like area. It was pretty, and lots of area to move around (unlike what I remember the finish area from when I ran the half a couple of years ago). Next year, I believe the finish is moving to a new park that should be complete by then.

Overall, I thought this was a great race - loved all the people that were out cheering you on, lots of neighborhoods to run through, lots of water/Powerade stops, good finisher area, well put together. (Only negative for me - I cant wear my OrangeMud HydraQuiver, because they don’t allow over the shoulder packs, but I understand there want for safety.) I would definitely recommend this race; however it is late April in Oklahoma, so the weather could be pretty hot.

@LSUlakes
My finish time was 4:37:59.

ATTQOTD: As a treadmill runner all I need to know is when is the best Premier League match of the weekend? Also, International breaks are the bane of my running existence.

Seriously, this got me through training for a 70.3 during the winter doing bike trainer sessions.

QOTD: We've had a few questions related to shoes lately so I figured today would be a good day to make a topic about them. What works for you and what has not worked for you? Do you add inserts or do something different with the laces? Explain if you can?

ATTQOTD: Nearly every show I have tried has worked for me, but it seems after about 3 times with the same shoe it's a time for change or things start to feel weird for me. The only negative shoe experience I had was with Hookas. It was such a different shoe than what I was running in. I eased into them with short runs of 2-4 miles for the first 2 weeks. They felt like running on clouds... the problem was once I hit around 200 miles on them they started to cause additional problems. Went back to the shoe style I was in and everything worked out. So they worked for what I needed, but found they did not hold up to the miles my other shoes did. I also had this thing on the top of my foot for a while where it hurt. Tried a few different lacing options and found one that did not push down on the pain area. After a few weeks the pain was gone and I was able to go back to the standard lacing method.

QOTD: We've had a few questions related to shoes lately so I figured today would be a good day to make a topic about them. What works for you and what has not worked for you? Do you add inserts or do something different with the laces? Explain if you can?
Nothing different for me. I’ve found New Balance as a brand works well for me. Outside of that I have my laces normal and don’t add inserts.

ATTQOTD:

I've only changed shoes a few times since I began running. When I first started I was in more of a stability shoe and I've migrated more towards a lighter neutral trainer. About a year ago I had run a lot and did buy a heavier trainer to take a little bit of the pounding for me on easier runs, but I personally didn't care for them. Last Fall I moved from the Brooks Launch that I loved and wore for a few years over to the Saucony Kinvara. They are fairly similar shoes (both light neutral), but the Kinvaras are a bit lighter, seem to fit better, and have a little less drop. I feel "faster" in them, and just like the way they currently fit me. I think I'm fairly shoe tolerant though. I've tried on shoes at our Asics outlet, the Nike store, etc. and many times I think that the shoe feels good. But I have no reason to change things up at the moment. I feel lucky that finding the right shoe for me hasn't really been a problem. I don't use inserts either.

Unfortunately my wife has had more trouble with shoes (she has had success with NB 1080) and has had to improvise with a heal insert to try and make her pronate a little. She a natural supinator and there doesn't seem to be anything specifically made to address that. When she first started running I don't think her big toes really ever made contact to the ground. She's worked hard to focus on how she strikes and things have really improved. It wasn't until we figured out that she had this issue that we realized this was probably the source of her prior injuries.

ATTQOTD: My biggest issue with shoes is my super wide forefeet. I am running in Brooks Ghost (which is supposed to have one of the wider toe boxes) and the inside of my foot and big toe still form large callouses even in a wide shoe. New balance isn't much better. I did have success avoiding the callouses with a pair of Saucony Rides, but I hated the feeling of them while running. I think I am going to give Altra shoes a try with my next pair.

ATTQOTD: I'm similar in that I haven't had any issues with any shoes I've tried. I learned early on that the minimal movement wasn't for me, but I'm pretty good with any standard cushioning/stability shoe. ASICS had been my go-to for a long time, but they transitioned the Gel-Noosa Tri to the Noosa FF and while I was fine running in them they didn't have the stability element anymore and it made them just like any other shoe for me. I tried the Kayano and Nimbus, but I need a firm heel cup and there was too much movement for my feet in those models. I have transitioned to Nike Pegasus because they're accessible, have nice colorways, go on sale relatively often, and work well with my feet. They're nothing special, but they don't have to be as long as they work.

@AntimonyER i was going to suggest the Altras. My husband is the same he is running in brooks right now. He has incredibly big toes. He is going to look at Altra for his next pair. He has trail runners i think that he hikes in and i think they are Altra.

ATTQOTD: I went through a lot of searching to find my brand. I have a combination of fairly flat feet, but I supinate/underpronate. So, I need a more neutral shoe even though my foot structure might suggest something more towards the stability side of things.

I used to run in Nike Pegasus in high school cross country, but I've never gone back to Nike as an adult runner. I started out with NB 1080 in 2014 and early 2015, which did not work. I then switched to some Asics Nimbus for the rest of early 2015 up to Tinker Bell in May, but I really did not like them and had already started a search for something else during the training. I tried a pair of Hoka One One Bondis, but they were way too narrow and at that stack height, I felt like I was going to roll an ankle just walking in my hallway because my foot was pushing out towards the edge.

After Tinker Bell, I immediately started running in some Altra Olympus to try them out, because of the foot shape/wide toe box thing. The original Olympus model was not quite as aggressive with the treads as the current models... it was closer to a hybrid road and easy trails shoe. The zero drop thing has never really been a factor in my decision to use them, although I do tend to like lower drop shoes. My favorite shoes that I used to use at the gym all the time for HIIT workouts or step aerobics or kick boxing classes were some NB Minimus 3090, which had a very low cushion and a 4mm drop. I bought up so many pairs of the 3090 in a lot of colors before they disappeared forever. I still have some that are relatively unworn even though the last pair I was able to find was in 9/2014. :)

The Olympuses were really just supposed to be my test run into Altra, I had been planning to see if I liked the shoe in general (shape, make sure the zero drop thing didn't affect me, etc) and then move to the Paradigm, but at the time the original model of the Paradigm was still expensive and I could get the Olympus on Left Lane Sports for like $45 a pair, so I bought 3 more pairs of those and wore those from Spring 2015 through to Spring 2017.

I moved to my first pair of Paradigms in Spring 2017 with a pair of the women's 3.0 version, but was NOT happy with them. They were so narrow and the uppers had this weird puckering in spots. I did train in them and used them up through early 2018, but I was not going to start training for my Spring 2018 HM in them. But the 4.0 version was not scheduled to come out until summer, and I needed something in the meantime, so I got some men's 3.0. Normally I hate buying men's shoes, but they had a solid black model that looked close to the women's one. They've been ok, much better than the women's, but there's just something off about that 3.0 version shape/width. The men's version fits like the women's should have.

I never ended up getting any of the 4.0's when they came out later in 2018. I am still running in that pair of men's 3.0's, because I really haven't been running much at all since my last race in August 2018, and now the 4.5's are coming out in a month or two, so I'll just wait for those.

I am definitely an Altra fan, though. I not only run on the roads in the Paradigm, but I also use: the Solstice at Orangetheory or dog agility indoor on matting (they are very low cushion, which I like for weightlifting and rowing... it's not ideal for running but the treadmills are very soft at OTF and I don't usually get more than 1-2 miles in a class), the Superior 4.0 (trail running shoe) for dog agility on dirt/grass/turf, and I have a pair of Escalantes for casual wear. I wish I could wear the Escalantes for Orangetheory or agility on matting, but the knit upper has just a bit too much give to it and my foot feels like it slides around when I plant my foot to change directions.

ATTQOTD: I got fitted and Hokas seem to work best for me. However, I seem to destroy the heels pretty quickly. I keep meaning to relace for heel slippage but I haven't yet. I used to run in Brooks but lately those haven't worked at all for me. My feet do much better with the extra cushion I get in the Hokas.

ATTQOTD: My list of "worked" and "didn't work" is loooooong! My sports medicine doc told me I'd be hard to fit, and he was 100% correct. I'm a forefoot runner - I land on the balls of my feet, quickly roll down just until my heel touches, then roll back up and off my toes - but I do run/walk intervals and I land on my heel while walking, so a shoe needs to work well for both. That, alone, is tough to find. On top of it, I have a tendon in one foot that was injured badly 30+ years ago and is full of scar tissue: the wrong shoe will make it pull more than it can handle and results in a lot of pain. And in case that all wasn't enough, I'm a former ballerina with very flexible arches that are also very strong: standing or walking slowly, they can "read" to shoe store employees as fallen, but under load, as in when running, they do their job properly and do not respond well to being propped up by traditional stability features. I have wide forefeet, medium midfeet, and very narrow heels and ankles, which has always made finding a good upper fit challenging. Aaaaand, I have diminished cartilage in both knees and scoliosis, both of which beg for some cushion in my shoes, but anything too mushy makes the impact forces worse on my hips/knees/back. I'm just a barrel of shoe fun, eh?!

What's working right now are:
Brooks Glycerin 16... I don't love how the cushion performs, but it's good enough, and they're so freaking heavy, but the upper fits reasonably well, and they get the job done better than most. I use them for easy and long runs. Heel drop is in my sweet spot at 10mm.

Saucony Kinvara 9... fit my feet PERFECTLY! Super lightweight, flexible, and more cushion that they look like they'd have. Only tested on short and fast runs so far.

NB Beacon... fit is great and I really want to love these because they're so comfortable and lightweight, but there's just something about them that feels off and seems to slow me down while also making me use more effort.

Brooks Ghost 11... the fit is so good, I keep wearing them thinking they have to be right! But honestly, they kill the balls of my feet over 10ish miles; there just isn't enough cushion up front, and way more than I need in the heel. I've got almost 150 miles on them and the forefoot outsole is worn down about 70%, so I'll keep using them for short runs until they're worn out, likely by 200 miles.

Saucony Ride ISO... ??? The current wild card. The fit isn't ideal: the forefoot is more narrow than I'd like. But I loooove how Everun rides (back when the stores kept putting me in stability shoes, I ran Dopey in Saucony Guides - the medial wedge killed my arches and ankles, but I fell in love with the Everun topsole!), so I'm hoping they may work if the forefoot will stretch some.

ATTQOTD: I started out in Nike Free's, which caused me to have achilles tendonitis. So I went and got fitted at a running store and they put me in Brooks Transcend, which I loved. But then they changed them, sigh. So I went in and got fitted again and they put me in Nike Structure, with a back up option of Saucony Guides. I bought the Nikes and ran in them until they started hurting my feet. Saw the Saucony Guides on sale so bought a pair of those online and ran in them until they wore out. Went online to buy another pair and they, of course, had updated them. I bought them and they are...ok. I have pretty much worn them out. I told DH when I start running again next month I will need new shoes. I honestly have no idea what to get now so it is back to the running store.

ATTQOTD: I've never used inserts or experimented with different laces. I started out running in Brooks (Ghost, Ravenna, Launch) for probably two years. The soles would wear down too quick for me. Moved over to Mizuno (Wave Rider, Sayonara, Hitogami). Loved the Wave Rider 16s but the 17s were the only shoe I've ever had a real problem with. A stitching in the forefoot would cause a cut on the top of my foot. Only used those for about 50 miles before donating them. Moved over to Adidas about three years ago (Energy Boost, Supernova, Tempo Boost). They've been great although I like the first three versions on the Energy Boost better than the recent ones. I don't see my everyday running shoes changing from those. I have a pair of Nike Zoom Flys that I'll try for the first time in a race this weekend, we'll see if those are my race shoes going forward.

@AntimonyER i was going to suggest the Altras. My husband is the same he is running in brooks right now. He has incredibly big toes. He is going to look at Altra for his next pair. He has trail runners i think that he hikes in and i think they are Altra.

I'm a big fan of the Altra shoes. I've dealt with plantar fasciitis for a long time and have been pain free for years by adopting some "barefoot running" philosophies. This basically means I go for shoes with minimal support that allow the foot to move more, which keeps everything stretched out. The problem I have when running is that I'm more prone to blisters with minimalist shoes as well as having super sore feet after a run (feels like I've been walking in one of the parks all day). The Altra shoes have some more cushion that helps with both of these issues while having a zero-drop heel and wider toe area which helps with the plantar fasciitis. If I spend an hour in traditional Nike, New Balance, etc., the plantar fasciitis pain comes back right away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter