The Running Thread - 2019

@YawningDodo I feel your pain on the shoes. I will say i am in a slightly better position since they started making shoes in women's size 12 which was not the case 20 years ago when i was in high school running. I need a women's 12 or a men's 10. The men's shoe is always too wide. I can almost get away with a women's narrow. I am so thankful I can now find women's size 12, though only at specialty running stores. I walk out if they don't have large women's shoes. I will say my trail shoe is a men's and i was very concerned about it but it was fine.

1d566626b46dfd2e789d6331a3aff27a.jpeg

To start of the month of May we have the following folks with races:

May

04 - @tigger536 - Indy Mini (NG / N/A)
04 - @Wendy98 - Flying Pig 5k (NG / N/A)
04 - @Disney at Heart - Lake Hartwell Dam Run 10k (NG / N/A)
04 - @mtnmjd - Rock the Ridge 50 mile Challenge (Finish / N/A)
04 - @TheHamm - Burns Park Run (1:11:55/ N/A)
05 - tigger536 - Flying Pig Marathon (NG / N/A)
05 - @Guidman - Pittsburgh Half Marathon (1:35:00 / N/A)
05 - @broadsheet - Lincoln Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
05 - @KevM - Broad Street Run (1:29:59 / N/A)
05 - @Kerry1957 - Great Western Half Marathon (2:36:29 / N/A)

Best of luck to everyone this weekend! Hope you have a great race and we look forward to hearing how the race goes!

ATTQOTD: Swiftwick socks. I love them. they keep my feet dry. When on trails and stepping in puddles the socks dry quick. When it is cold my feet stay warm. When it is hot and i am sweating so bad the socks get wet, again my feet are dry. I also wear smartwool, but long runs are now in swiftwick.

QOTD: Lets continue to talk about our feet today, with todays being socks! We discussed this before, but its worth talking about again for maybe new posters or someone looking to make a change. What has worked and does not work for you?

ATTQOTD: I started out running in Thorlo's. There was nothing wrong with them, but I saw so many recommendations for Balega Hidden Comfort, I decided to give them a try. Now I won't run in anything else. They've been fantastic in all aspects: cushioning, durability, wicking. I also tried Feetures along the way, but quickly came to the realization that my feet don't like the style of sock with lots of padding under the forefoot and heel and just a thin stretch of fabric through the mid-foot. They make my PF twinge. I've been interested in auditioning some of the other popular socks mentioned on here, but haven't gotten around to it.

ATTQOTD: When I started I didn't really care what socks I was wearing (just some random sport socks from Target). Now I like the Balega Hidden Comfort socks the best. They have a decent amount of cushion and seem to hold up pretty well and don't cause blisters. I wear some Asics and Stance socks as well for running. As long as they have a heel tab, I'm good.

ATTQOTD: Balega Enduro V-Tech. I love these socks the most. They’re the one piece of running equipment I own that I will unreservedly endorse. They are my every day sock as well as my running sock because they are so comfortable, have good cushion without being bulky, don’t move around on my foot, and just do everything that a sock should do. Personally, I wear the quarters when I run because it protects my ankles against scraping if I get lazy in my form and anything no-show (even a great no-show) have a tendency to slide down my foot if I’m putting to much pressure on them.

ATTQOTD: I starting running in cheapo Target socks, and soon realized I should probably run in something else. I used socksaddict.com to order a wide array of brands to see what I liked best, and for awhile Balega Hidden Comfort were my go-to. Now-a-days, for races, I like the Wrightsock brand. For training, I still use what-ever is at the top of the running sock pile.....

Last edited:
ATTQOTD: for racing: feetures or balegas. I'll train in any sock though. My feet can get pretty warm, so I don't like super cushioned socks unless it's freezing cold or I'm doing an easy run.

I never got blisters during training, but always got them during races. My last race I decided to take care of my minimal calluses and surprisingly no blisters (except one under a small callus I missed).

Illness affects another month but finished well.

April Totals:
Swim: 14,500 meters
Cycle: 112 miles
Run: 87 miles

Shoe Rotation:
Brooks Glycerin 16 (long training runs) My go to shoe. I have not tried the 17s yet.
On Cloudace (long training runs) Removing from the training rotation.
On Cloudsurfer (short/medium runs). I have the new model ready to replace the old.
On Cloudflash (racing flat). Great racing shoe.

Socks:
Swiftwick Vibe Zero. End of story.

QOTD: Lets continue to talk about our feet today, with todays being socks! We discussed this before, but its worth talking about again for maybe new posters or someone looking to make a change. What has worked and does not work for you?

In the not-freezing-cold I prefer the feetures elite tabbed in light or ultralight cushion. I tried several socks that were at least quarter/crew for cold weather, but I did not like the feetures for that, and the Balega enduro or blister resistant actually did give me blisters, so I found my best option to be a smart wool sock that I cannot run more than 8 miles in before that too gives me a giant arch blister. I had my feetures at WDW and my mom borrowed them after running out of socks, and somehow every time she comes to visit and she volunteers to fold the laundry that never seems to leave the basket, I end up missing a pair.

ATTQOTD: SmartWool. 100% of the time. Literally the perfect sock, as far as I'm concerned! Wool keeps my toes warmer in cold weather (critical, as I have Raynaud's Syndrome), and also works beautifully in the heat and in summer monsoons. Super soft, hold up thorough weekly washings for years, and come in a variety of thicknesses, heights, colors and patterns. :thumbsup2

I like under armor or Nike athletic/running type socks. They are not all cotton and I don’t think I ever would wear cotton socks for running.

Shoes - I've only had one pair of running shoes. Brooks Ravenna9s. I don't think they've caused me any problems, but I'm not sure I love them either. I plan on getting fitted for a new pair in the coming weeks. I'll see how that goes.

Socks - I have some Balega socks that I love, but otherwise many of my socks are just random store bought socks with a running tab on the back. I've never had issues with blisters, chafing, anything ever (anywhere on my body). Knocking on wood pretty hard right now.

Edit - I'm lying. I get blisters from new casual shoes like Vans, but nothing ever running related.

ATTQOTD: I am not too picky about socks as long as they are specific for running. I have 3 pairs of Target (Champion C9) running socks that I bought several years ago that I like and still wear all the time. But they are getting old. So, about six months ago, I bought another 3 pack of the same socks and all 3 have holes in them already. I guess they don't make 'em like they used to.

I also recently bought several pairs of the Asics Nimbus socks to match my shoes. lol. They are great. They are suppose to have some kind of nano glide fabric that prevents blisters? I have no idea if that works but the socks are very comfortable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!