The Running Thread - 2019

QOTD: What is your favorite resort to go for a run while staying at WDW? Would the time of year change your answer? You do not have to have experience actually staying or running at these resorts to answer the questions.
I would like to try running at wilderness just because there has to be less running a loop, but as I do not forsee staying there anytime soon I do not think it will happen. I wanted to try to run when we were there over the christmas run, but the logistics of getting there were too much to deal with. The Boardwalk area is a solid choice for the wintertime when the sun is not melting you into the sidewalk at dawn. I liked the loop at PORR/FQ and think that would be a better swampy summer run. Generally, I cannot make up a run on the fly, so little ins and outs along hotel buildings and pools are irrationally stressful to me so I am not doing it on vacation, and no one likes running back and forth over the same mile 8 times, also making running at disney less enjoyable. I found OKW a bit dull to run at, and I would not have been happy to do it outside the fun run. POP/AOA was ok to circle the lake. I really did not like running GF/Poly, but perhaps if I could have thought to go over to SoG it would have been better than just the path between the two? Full disclosure, there will be zero running on the next disney trip.
To expand the question to our west coasters, I found running at DL not great and wonder if anyone has a DL run they like. There isn't the same big sprawling resort with a theme type of thing, but I am interested in any thoughts.

QOTD: What is your favorite resort to go for a run while staying at WDW? Would the time of year change your answer? You do not have to have experience actually staying or running at these resorts to answer the questions.
ATTQOTD: I've run at all times of the year, at FW/WL, CBR, CSR, EP resorts loop, POR/POFQ, All Stars, AKL/AKV, and SSR. My favorite goes to CBR at sunrise - so peaceful and beautiful! In the heat of mid-summer, I love using the WDW treadmills, which are FAR superior to my own and the ones I use at my local rec center - running through a "Bavarian Forest" at SSR's fitness center while it stormed outside was a standout lol!

ATTQOTD:

I think my favorite is running from/around the boardwalk area. When I stayed a Poly a couple years ago, I even ubered over there in the morning to get a longer run in. You can get a decent amount of mileage in if you go to HS, run the perimeter of all these places on the sidewalk, etc. Plus just running on the boardwalk is nice. Last year when we were down there I was getting up at 5 and running to beat the heat. For the first lap or 2 I was worried my landing was loud on the boardwalk, but then a couple other runners started too so I at least had some company if I was disturbing any of the rooms that were right there next to the loop.

The Pop Century/AoA loop is nice and you can get over to CBR pretty easily to add some distance and variety. I've also really enjoyed Coronado, although I just stayed on property and did the main loop and some parking lots.

ATTQOTD:

Put me in the camp of never having run (outside of rD) while on vacation at Disney. I’m on vacation and part of vacation (for me) is sleep. Between time in the parks and getting appropriate sleep I’m not looking for the stress of trying to fit other things into my day. I will qualify this by saying that my non-rD trips have mostly been 1-3 day quick trips on weekends. I have my longest Disney trip outside of Marathon Weekend coming up in September and it is an arrive Thursday-depart Tuesday morning. Maybe someday I’ll be able to schedule a 6+ day trip not associated with rD and I’ll have a bit more down time to contemplate running.

That said, POR is the closest thing I have to a “home resort” and the paths between POR and POFQ provide a nice opportunity for a run. I have walked most of those paths and I’m sure I could figure a nice running plan there even if it involved a few loops.

ATTQOTD: While staying at Disney I have run on the boardwalk, run at Coronado Springs and run at Port Orleans. The Boardwalk is probably my favorite of those. Coronado was in the midst of the refurb construction and it made a bit of a mess out of the path.

ATTQOTD Another fan of the boardwalk, I like to go to Hollywood Studios and back then around the Boardwalk/Beach Club just before sunrise. I thought I’d like Animal Kingdom but actually couldn’t find anywhere good to run there.

ATTQOTD: I have only run at Pop Century around Hourglass Lake and Bay Lake around the resort. I much prefer Pop because at least there is some decent scenery. They also have these signs around the lake that have facts about the years at Pop and facts about different movies at AOA. The lake is 1.25 miles around so it is ok for getting in somewhat longer runs. I'd much prefer the Boardwalk, but...
help-me-im-poor.jpg

ATTQOTD: I have only run at Pop Century around Hourglass Lake and Bay Lake around the resort. I much prefer Pop because at least there is some decent scenery. They also have these signs around the lake that have facts about the years at Pop and facts about different movies at AOA. The lake is 1.25 miles around so it is ok for getting in somewhat longer runs. I'd much prefer the Boardwalk, but...
help-me-im-poor.jpg
I really identify with all of this.

I stayed at Boardwalk in April for Rival Run but only because I stayed with a friend for free on their DVC points. It was a dream. One that I cannot afford.

I'm staying at POP in October and that will be my route.

ATTQOTD: On Disney Property, I have done the Fort Wilderness streets, and was great for making up a decent sized run, however, I did not take the trail to the Wilderness Lodge. I have also stayed at the Good Neighbor hotels while in Orlando and have run up and down Hotel Plaza Blvd./Buena Vista Dr and enjoyed it when they allowed you to run through DTD in the early morning hours.

ATTQOTD: I have run Hourglass Lake at AOA/Pop, between WL and Fort Wilderness, and the Boardwalk/HS area.

For mindless running, I like Hourglass Lake, though I always fear being run over by a golf cart. The trail between WL and FW was lovely, but didn’t give me the “I’m running at Disney!” vibe I wanted. I love running the Boardwalk/HS area, but you have to get up super early to avoid the crowds and the heat.

It can be really hard to run in vacation when they don’t give you a medal at the end. :rolleyes1

I totally forgot we came in 2 days early for marathon weekend and stayed at Pop. I did a short run around hourglass lake a few days before the races started. I agree, it was very peaceful and I really enjoyed reading the signs. As you can see by my signature, I have stayed at every WDW Disney resort (except for AoA and Fort Wilderness but including both Swan and Dolphin). And I have had a great time at every resort I have stayed at. January was my first time at Pop and I really enjoyed the 2 nights we stayed there before moving to BLT.

BC/YC. The path between Epcot and DHS through BC/YC and Boardwalk was my friend a few years ago when running the unofficial half. I imagine it's not great for a run on a normal day, but when the weather is marginal and no people are around, it's a good place for running.

True but when you’re up until midnight it’s hard to then get up at 6 ;)

Spoken like a true college student ;)

In my current days/years I haven't ran at many resorts & usually it is only short before or after the races where I'm staying. No just running to run. But, way back when when I was in High School, I loved running around Fort Wilderness when we vacationed even when we didn't stay there.

ATTQOTD Socks: For years, I ran races in Nike basketball socks and training runs in *gasp* regular socks. I certainly felt it in my calf muscles after long runs, but I just sort of dealt with it. When a compressed training schedule became a necessity in order to have any hope of finishing, I tried CEP compression socks on the advice of my local running store and immediately discovered that compression socks help reduce my soreness quite a bit.

Now I do shorter runs in Nike athletic socks and longer runs in CEP compression socks as I have 3 pairs of those.

ATTQOTD Running at Disney World: Does all the walking I do around the parks count? All my visits to Disney World since becoming a runner have been race centric.

If you get up early enough, there's not too much to do. Get up and run at 6:00 and you get back, shower, eat breakfast, and still make rope drop! LOL

Thats what I am talking about! I mean, my feet cant hurt anymore than they do already so why not right!

I have only run at Pop Century around Hourglass Lake and Bay Lake around the resort. I much prefer Pop because at least there is some decent scenery. They also have these signs around the lake that have facts about the years at Pop and facts about different movies at AOA. The lake is 1.25 miles around so it is ok for getting in somewhat longer runs. I'd much prefer the Boardwalk, but...

I liked my run at Pop with one exception. It seemed early in the morning the benches along the lake are a popular spot to smoke. Now, I don't hate smokers since I used to be one, but I hate breathing it in while I am running. I guess at Wilderness Lodge I did not experience that because I was running a trail and I doubt anyone was going for a long walk and a smoke lol.

In general I think I’ve enjoyed most of my runs around Disney resorts. The poly-grand Floridian run is fun, but it took me multiple times to realize your supposed to go around by the marina and not through trader sams. FW to WL is very fun and there are lots of good opportunities to add mileage inside FW. Echo lake is nice and it’s really easy to get water by the Pool near the Ariel buildings....

BC/YC. The path between Epcot and DHS through BC/YC and Boardwalk was my friend a few years ago when running the unofficial half. I imagine it's not great for a run on a normal day, but when the weather is marginal and no people are around, it's a good place for running.

Spoken like a true college student ;)
Oh, yes. My unofficial half was around Hourglass Lake, and I did it with many of my “running buddies.” It was fun to speak lap after lap to the people who were going in the other direction!
Which I will experience for the next two weeks as I finish up the semester...
That said, good luck on your finals!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter