The Running Thread - 2019

ATTQOTD: Interesting question. Based on results only, it looks like my best is Rhythm and Blues Qtr marathon in 2017 where I finished 7/724 and my worst is Woodlands marathon where I finished 463/1236.

This is the type of question where athlinks.com is very helpful....

ATTQOTD: I honestly have no clue. I tend to be a middle of the pack racer so I never really pay attention to where I place in races.

I've never got lost during a race but I have heard stories of a lead runner being directed the wrong way or the lead bike person made a mistake. I remember a race I did years ago where we made a turn to start a loop and saw the lead runner coming out of it. He was asking the volunteers at a water station which way to go because there wasn't anyone to direct him. I think he figured it out because he ended up winning the race but I can imagine that would be really frustrating.

ATTQOTD: It looks like my best finish would be between a 3rd place OA (out of 77 females) for a local 5k or 2nd in my age group (out of 99) at the RNR NOLA 5k this year. My worst is the first Spartan Sprint I did where I finished 460 out of 745 for females. I redeemed myself the next year and finished 294 out of 896 females though.

I am now obsessed with athlinks so thank you @gjramsey for letting me know that this site had all this information!

@LSUlakes - could you please add the following race for me? Sorry I forgot to include it in my earlier post this morning.

6/1 - Baxter24 - Run the Quay 10k (no goal)

ATTQOTD: Best finish:I won a 5k last year. A small race--I think the fast people had Derby Day hangover, but my time--while way off my PR--was not too shabby for a 59 year old.

Worst finish: Turns out that would be this year's Boston Marathon, which I admit is a bit skewed if you put it into perspective.

On a tangentially related note, my bone scan shows "stress reactions" in my hip....I interpret this as "a problem, but not as bad as it could be". Guess my doctor will elucidate on Thursday. Interesting couple of other things showed up--we'll see what those are as well. I have a feeling I will need to become better acquainted with the pool this summer.

QOTD: I had a random thought while I was driving to work this morning that I thought would make for a interesting question. What is the highest and lowest overall finish placement you have had during any race?
ATTQOTD: I pulled my info from athlinks.com:

Highest Finish: 2005 5K: 11th out of 255 (1st in my age group)
Lowest Finish: 2019 WDW Half: 7,791 out of 18,419

Highest Percentile Finish: 2019 WDW Star Wars Rival Run 10K: 156 out of 11,544 (Top 1.4%)
Lowest Percentile Finish: 2007 5K: 354 out of 487 (Top 73%). I ran this one with my then 8 year old daughter.

ATTQOTD: I recently had a 3rd place in age group finish and I've finished in the top 10 in a few other smaller races before, but I'm usually a middle of the pack girl. I don't pay much attention to my worst stats - usually my personal worsts have all been at Disney...on purpose.

Possible side QOTD: How do parents of elementary school age kids work their running schedule around kids' activities? It's only kindergarten but we've started doing multiple sports now. Does it get easier when they are a little older because you can just drop them off, go run, and pick them back up? Right now I'm at stay in the building age I think.

This is why I get up at 4:30am to run. There's just no time after work with all of the running around. And even though my kids are all at the age where I can just drop them off, stuff still crops up and derails my best efforts, so best to just get it done while most of the world is still sleeping. :-)

QOTD: I had a random thought while I was driving to work this morning that I thought would make for a interesting question. What is the highest and lowest overall finish placement you have had during any race?

I don't generally track placement because I'm not exactly fast. I was pleased on my most recent 5k to see I finished in the upper half, both overall and in my age bracket. (167 of 400; 12 of 24.)

But now that you've got me thinking about it, I may go through and add placements to my spreadsheet of results.

ATTQOTD:
It looks like my worst is 2013 Rocket City Marathon: 1253/1343. The wheels fell off without reason.
The best requires more math than I am willing to do. I run a lot of local small 5Ks, and finish in the top 5/10 percent. Giving weight to the size of the race, 2017 Tartan Trot 5K: 38/659. It's a 'Big City' race and a Peachtree qualifier, and I ran it in a kilt.

ATTQOTD: I only care about times I do well, so lemme just brag that I have gotten 3rd in my AG group twice. Other than that, I run for me and my goals and I know I will probably never podium an entire race. I could finish really low in terms of placement for a race but if I ran well or hit a PR, does it really matter? Nope.

ATTQOTD: It's funny how much I loved and was happy with both the bests and worsts due to different reasons.

Best for placement was 7th overall woman and first in AG at the Frosty 5k in 2018. Only 112 finishers.
Best percent overall was probably 10.6% of our local Cougar 5k 2016. 7th in my division. 591 finishers.

Worst placement is probably Chicago marathon. 29925 place of 44571. But I was super happy with my result!!!
Worst percentile is probably WDW Half this year 69%. But I had to make that extra stop for the chipmunks :)

Added ATTQOTD: Okay, I went through and added places to my spreadsheet.

Absolute best placement, 100th out of 178 (Down By The Bay 5k, 2015)
Absolute best placement by age group, 11th of 11 (Hellyer 10k, 2017)
Relative best placement, 3865th out of 11548 (Star Wars Rival Run 10k, 2019)
Relative best placement by age group, 356th out of 814 (Star Wars Rival Run 10k, 2019)

Absolute worst placement, 11229th out of 16316 (Star Wars Dark Side Half, 2017)
Absolute worst placement by age group, 761st out of 964 (Star Wars Dark Side Half, 2017)
Relative worst placement, 251th out of 264 (Brazen New Year's Day 10k, 2018)
Relative worst placement by age group, 2-way tie: 11th of 11 (Hellyer 10k, 2017) and 18th of 18 (Brazen New Year's Day 10k, 2018)

What this is telling me: I was poorly trained in early 2017. The Brazen NYE 10k is evil. And I'm in much better running condition now than I was - my relative best placements were both last month.

Wrong way: no one was at a fork during a half and I followed the guy in front of me and we ended up running into a bathroom! I still PR'd! I was doing research on my marathon and someone wrote in her review that the course wasn't marked well and she ended up going doing the half marathon instead of the full.

5k with kids: My oldest barely will do a short kids run. I almost signed him up for the school fundraiser 5k, but thought better of it and switched him to the kids run. I'd rather him ask to do the 5k than force him to do something he hates.

Numbers really change depending on size of the race:
Best: funny I was top 2% for the Stars Wars 10k at Disneyland in 2017 which I wasn't racing because I was pregnant.
Worst: my first 10k I was 27%. I was the 25th out of 91 people. But it's also my highest overall finish placement. :P My lowest was 1079th overall in the Star Wars half (top 8%).

Last edited:
ATTQOTD: I never really tracked my placements in races so I originally didn’t think I would have an answer to this. But thanks to @gjramsey posting about athlinks.com I know my answers.

My best finish was in small local race, the from this year, Fort Washington Rush Hour Run 5 Miler, where I came in 21 (out of a whopping 34).

My best percentile finish is also from this year. It’s from the Philadelphia Hot Chocolate 15K. I came in 1,008 out of 5,268 which is the top 20%.

My worst placement & percentile are from the same race. Last year’s Philadelphia Marathon (which was also my first Marathon). I came in 9,101 out of 9,525, which is the bottom 6%.

ATTQOTD:

Finishing Position

Best: 2nd overall for 2018 Perfect Dopey Challenge runners (I believe there were 700-900 of us remaining that year)
Worst: 8466th overall at 2018 Chicago Marathon (48,096 finishers)

Finishing Percentile
Best: 0.2-0.3% for 2018 Perfect Dopey Challenge runners (I believe there were 700-900 of us remaining that year) OR 0.25% at 2018 Disney 10k (34th/12890)
Worst: 79% at my very first race the 2012 Haunted Hustle Marathon (317/401); got 92% percentile in my division (33/36)

Possible side QOTD: How do parents of elementary school age kids work their running schedule around kids' activities? It's only kindergarten but we've started doing multiple sports now. Does it get easier when they are a little older because you can just drop them off, go run, and pick them back up? Right now I'm at stay in the building age I think.

I run in the mornings or in the evening when we don't have an activity (rare). I'm fine leaving them at sports practices because I know the teammates but they are usually only 45-60 minutes so I would have to run nearby.

My best was the Texas Rangers 5k last month.

My BFF ran this race and finished second for the women and was bummed. #fastrunnerproblems

ATTQOTD: I haven't done a lot of races and I'm not a top finisher. According to my numbers, I'm right around 30% in the pack. I'm good with that.

ATTQOTD:
Best: If only for the size of the race, 4 out of 133 at a local 5k last year. Best large race 90 out 11,548 at 2019 Star Wars 10k.
Worst: 8112 out of 40,608 at the 2016 Chicago Marathon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter