The Running Thread - 2019

ATTQOTD: worst was 3rd from last, 5th grade cross country. I hated running for many years after that.

No idea what my best was, I'm usually just glad to finish and not be 3rd from last.

yeah, I am not sure what voo-doo they do to get results, or how far back it goes. All mine show up...

Mm. They don't have the one race I'd really love results from, in 1998. I'm still poking around trying to find those - I may check with the newspaper that sponsored it to see if they have anything.

ATTQOTD: It’s all relative I suppose. By the numbers, my best finish is 3rd at a local 5k and my worst would 1421 at Chicago. However I’m much more proud of my Chicago performance lol.
This. I have placed first or second many times at local events. I came in 65th at Boston in 2016 and 61st in 2017--those were very meaningful to me.

Not sure of my worst, but it may have been this past weekend. I will follow up with a separate post.

Get comfy and grab a refreshing beverage. This is long (partly copying from my FB testimonial):

Flying Pig Marathon 2019:

After Boston, there was no way I was doing the Pig. The back to back marathoning the past few years is really taking a toll on me. I feel beaten down physically and mentally, I have lost my love of running—probably from the injuries. My training for Boston was derailed by constant pain in my hamstrings, glutes, and back. It was diagnosed as possible nerve damage, but the jury is out on whether that is the actual problem. I had been feeling pretty good the past few weeks, but felt a familiar pain in my lower leg about 10 days ago when I crossed my leg to tie my shoe. I knew it was a stress reaction, possible stress fracture in my fibula, maybe into the tibia. I have had this multiple times over the years. But it’s The Flying Pig! I love this race. It was my first marathon and I ran it 17 years ago, on this day. I would still do it, just run an easier pace and enjoy the experience. I did almost no running this past week except for the 5k with H on Saturday. I felt fine running the easy pace with him, but later in the day my leg was hurting. I knew the marathon was going to be tough. I was hoping to squeeze out 15-16 miles before it got ugly. I wasn’t even out of downtown on the way to Eden Park when I was feeling it. I knew it was going to be bad and was angry with my body. I had felt stronger those first 6 miles than I had in Boston. By mile 8, I was in a lot of pain. I knew in my heart, another 18 miles like this would be nearly impossible. I asked a course official on a bike what I should do if I needed to drop. He wasn’t sure and said to visit a medical tent. Finally at mile 10-11, I stopped. I told the woman in the tent that I think I needed to drop out of the race. Then I started crying. I have never DNF’d a race before. She wasn’t exactly sure and was offering me anything she had on hand. Unfortunately, nothing would fix this. She said she could call someone and they should be able to transport me back downtown. I asked if I could borrow her phone to call my husband to come and get me. In true dh fashion, he didn’t answer his phone. I left him a long message and said I was going to try to keep going to the next medical tent. If he had answered, I am positive I would have quit. I knew he had gone home to get the kids and they were going to come cheer me on. The thought of them being out there and not seeing me and knowing that I quit was unbearable. I also wanted to keep trying to show them that when things start sucking, you keep going and FINISH the race as long as you are able. I re-evaluated my goals. Today was no longer about hitting a certain time. I started slowly running again and did a combo run/walk. At mile 13, I stopped at medical again and asked if I could use their phone. I called dh and asked where they were. They were at mile 14! I said I would be there, but it was slow. As I turned onto Bramble, there was a group offering cups of beer—I had one. It was around here that I saw a girl walking. I asked her if she was ok and she said she was fine, just taking it slow since she had a goal race in 6 weeks. She was a Flying Pig Ambassador and we talked about marathons. She told me the story of her dad passing before she qualified and ran Boston 2018. I related since my dad who loved to watch me run died 6 weeks before my first Boston. During this, I saw dh and my sweet kids. I nearly fell into them giving hugs. I quickly got back to business and headed to Mariemont. I wished Carolyn luck and told her to go on since my walk breaks were increasing in frequency. I came close to throwing up a couple of times from the pain. I knew my support crew would be around mile 16.5 and they saw me right away! They were jumping up and down and in their boredom, had found 4 leaf clovers for me. I told them to walk with me. Eventually, I had them turn around and head back to dh. This was such a spirit lifter for me. This was the reason I was out there doing this. I was hurting so much and limping when I was walking and doing my shuffle run. I continued and stopped at another medical tent around mile 18. I called dh and let him know I was still hanging in there. (side note—I stopped racing with my phone over the last year or so. I so wished I had it today!). I knew they would be around mile 21. Right before I got to them, there was a group of kids handing out foam footballs to throw over the fence. There were kids on the other side catching them in laundry baskets. I had to do this. My kids were so excited that it made it into one of the baskets. More hugs and they walked a little with me. I continued on and at mile 22, I shot a basket in memory of Lauren Hill (note—I missed). Right after that, I got some ibuprofen for strangers. They had a table set up with all kinds of things to help runners—pretzels, pickles, water, ..they got my attention when they said ibuprofen. Around mile 23 I did another marathon first: a shot of tequila. It was Cinco de Mayo after all. I started decreasing the walk breaks—holy ****, I just wanted this over! And possibly the tequila shot helped. At mile 24, the medical tent folks asked if I was cramping since I was limping so badly. I said no it wasn’t muscular—it was a stress fracture or worse. I know there is nothing they could do for that and I said I could finish. I love the last 2 miles of the Pig course along the river, looking towards downtown. It is a huge motivator knowing the end is right there. When I was just past mile 25, a girl who I am going to presume was a first timer, started crying and telling the guy running with her that she was going to do it. She was going to complete a marathon. This made me tear up because I remember that feeling— that feeling when you know you are going to reach your goal. You train and work so hard, but in the back of your head you wonder if you can really pull it off. That moment when yes, you know you got it…it is unbelievable. As I entered downtown, I saw one last group providing cheers and refreshments. Imagine my joy when I saw that it was my local high school (I went there and my son is a freshman)! I saw some familiar faces and it gave me the last burst I needed to get to the finish line. As I was heading to the finish, I really started to play up to the crowds to get them to be louder. So much fun. I finished in 4:25. It has been a LONG time since I have had a marathon that started with a 4. I couldn’t be prouder of this race.

I cannot bear weight on my leg and there is a good amount of swelling. I dug out the crutches and I am icing my leg. Amazingly, nothing else hurts. My quads don’t even feel like they ran a race and if it wasn’t for the leg pain, I would probably have run 10 miles the next day. I will heal and recover properly and I won’t rush back into running too soon. I’ve made that mistake and it comes back to bite me on the butt. I have a BIG goal race in September in Berlin.

Two of my cheering squad. I had my oldest stay home because he had a band thing all day the day before. He needed to sleep.
IMG_2333.JPG

My kids were showing me their 4 leaf clovers around mile 16.5.
IMG_2332.JPG

My extra bling for being a 10 year squadron member.
IMG_2331.jpg

Around mile 5, before things took a turn for the ugly. I am in front of the green "park" sign.
fullsizeoutput_267.jpeg

And this was from today:

60065075_10215587119765653_6563866164764606464_n.jpg

It is a complete fracture of the fibula. It is pretty cleans no surgery. I was allowed to go with a boot instead of a cast--I pleaded my case that I have a vacation in 3 weeks. Now how do I do 3 days of Disney + a cruise with this? I chaperoned my 4th grader's field trip today before my appointment. My ankle/leg looks like a stuffed sausage.

Wow @Wendy98, just wow. What a rollercoaster of a race - and that X-ray. I can’t believe you were able to keep running.

Sending so many wishes for a smooth recovery!

ATTQOTD: Interesting question. Based on results only, it looks like my best is Rhythm and Blues Qtr marathon in 2017 where I finished 7/724 and my worst is Woodlands marathon where I finished 463/1236.

This is the type of question where athlinks.com is very helpful....

Coming to this thread for the first time in a while proves very helpful to me too. I had never heard of athlinks before, but I now have an account and have managed to link 20 races to it, a few of which I had forgotten I even participated in!

@TheHamm
My kids are 5,5,6, and 8 and they have been doing 5k runs with us for at least two years with no strollers. They can now do them in about 46 minutes. I’m pretty sure before each race they secretly decide who will complain that day, because each time it’s someone different who acts like they are being tortured. But they all get excited about the races - each winter they decorate matching shirts that they wear to each race (because the chance of us losing a kid is near 100%, and this helps people send them back to the right family).

ATTQOTD best - worst placement:
Best is Ottawa 5k but, if I could run that pace instead of my DD at any other local 5k, I would place in my age group. People in Ottawa are fast!

Worst is WnD 10k, I was just having too much fun touring and having pictures taken.

What is the highest and lowest overall finish placement you have had during any race?
I'm not completely sure where my time fit into all the races I have run, but I do know my fastest races compared to the slowest ones.

Fastest Half is the 2018 Giant Race. Ironically enough this was perhaps my most difficult race also. I can't quite believe I set my PR as mentally challenging that day was.
Slowest Half is the 2019 Walt Disney World Half Marathon, which more or less went according to plan. Interestingly enough, I finished the marathon the next day in less time than double my half marathon time from the day before.

Fastest 10K is the 2015 Star Wars The Light Side 10K at Disneyland. My first 10K after 3 Half Marathons. Still my fastest, likely because I have since learned how much time I have to play with before needing to fear the sweep.
Slowest 10K is the 2019 Walt Disney World 10K. Days after coming off a cold and heading into Dopey, I chose to take lots of pictures and only worry about time if they told me to. Turned out I never needed to, but for perspective, my fastest Disney Half with photos is an hour slower than my slowest Disney 10K with photos.

Fastest 5K is the 2019 Walt Disney World 5K. See the 2019 Walt Disney World 10K with more pictures and making sure I reserved my strength for the Goofy portion of Dopey.
Slowest 5K is the 2018 Star Wars The Dark Side 5K. I've only run two 5Ks ever, both at Disney, but Star Wars means more picture stops for me.

Worst percentile is probably WDW Half this year 69%. But I had to make that extra stop for the chipmunks :)
I'm of the firm belief that Chip and Dale make every single race they appear in better simply because they're awesome. I finished my first half marathon ever getting a high five from them shortly before crossing the finish line, my first multi race challenge with a high five from them dressed as Ewoks, and finished my first marathon ever with another high five from the chipmunks before crossing the finish line.

I also wanted to keep trying to show them that when things start sucking, you keep going and FINISH the race as long as you are able.
I love this sentiment for the following reason. My very first half marathon began to get really difficult to the point of feeling like I had shin splints roughly half a mile into the race. Honestly, if I had known that I would get the medal simply by signing up and starting, I probably would have ended my running life right then and there. But the truth of the matter is that every great opportunity/dream fulfillment/memorable opportunity in running has come since that point. I look back at everything I would have missed out on if I had quit right there and concluded that running just isn't for me. So I love reading race recaps where the runner pushed through the difficulties because those are truly inspiring. In a sense, they're more inspiring than the race where everything went perfect.

This made me tear up because I remember that feeling— that feeling when you know you are going to reach your goal. You train and work so hard, but in the back of your head you wonder if you can really pull it off. That moment when yes, you know you got it…it is unbelievable.
For me this is the moment that I can't quite articulate to friends and family when they express surprise that I'm doing it again. I worked hard to stay optimistic that I would finish so as to keep my brain in the proper state when the marathon got difficult. It helped sustain me during those last few challenging miles, but I don't think I will hear "Let's Go Fly a Kite" from Mary Poppins the same way ever again because that was when I knew it was real.

Now how do I do 3 days of Disney + a cruise with this? I chaperoned my 4th grader's field trip today before my appointment. My ankle/leg looks like a stuffed sausage.
If you need to, renting a wheelchair may be the answer. My mom has dealt with foot problems her entire life, and when she realized that she would be unable to walk around Disney World, we rented a wheelchair for her and it saved the vacation and enabled her to enjoy the parks without the severe pain she always tolerated for us kids.

@Wendy98 I scrolled down and saw the xray and immediately cried out "OMG noooooooo!!!!!!!!" I can't believe you were able to finish with your ankle/leg like that and then chaperoned a field trip! I hope for a quick recovery. I want to see you kicking my butt 4/20 and can't wait to hear you crush it in September. Also, knee scooters seem very popular.

@Wendy98 you are some kind of awesome!!! And possibly a little nuts given the fact your leg bone isn’t joined together like it should be AND YOU RAN/WALKED A MARATHON!!!

Seriously well done, we can all take a lesson from that, next time a race gets tough we should all remember that Wendy did a marathon with a broken leg!

ATYQOTD: I am a solid middle of the pack runner so I have no idea my best placement. But I do know my worst. Local 10k I was last. There were 6 total in the 10k. Apparently the crowd of 100+ was mostly for the 5k. I had no idea there were just 6 of us. It was my first 10k and almost made me quit running. Horrible race support - they shut down the water stops on the way back (out and back race), people stopping traffic on the highway thru town were gone so I had to cross on my own :eek:, etc. When I got back everyone in town was standing around waiting for me to finish so they could go do their awards. I ran past everyone, feeling humiliated, then crossed the finish line. When I turned back everyone was gone - they had gone to the next block where the podium was set up. There was a lone banana and bottle of water sitting on a table for me. But, hey! - I finished 1st in my age group and even got a medal, lol! I found out later that the other 5 people in the race were on some running team. I said I would never go back but I did run the 5k with DH twice after that. And we both placed in our age groups. :)

@Wendy98
I assumed there would be an epic write-up for the Flying Pig. I was tracking you (and a local runner) and suspected an injury had reared it's ugly head. Impressive toughness to finish under those circumstances. I'll remember your battle the next time I'm feeling sorry for myself in a race when it's a little too sunny or warm for my liking. :guilty:

@Wendy98 I am so sad to hear about your injury. I was checking Garmin to see your race posted and when I saw it, I had feared the worse. Hopefully this time off will give you some time to fall back in love with running as well as get 100% healthy. Wishing you the best of luck as you recover!

I said that my best finish was third female overall in a 7k last year, but I just remembered that I actually placed first overall in a 10k last August. There were 8 people running the 10k. But hey - I set my current 10k PR at that race and thought it was cool to actually win a race. But I don't really count it because...there were 8 people running it and a time of 51:36 shouldn't really win a 10k. haha! It was also run at the same time as a 5k and half, so it isn't like I got to break a tape or anything. :P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter