The Running Thread - 2019

For example, my husband and I went golfing (I only golf to go with him) and it started pouring rain. I picked up and stayed in the covered golf court, while he proceeded to play the last eight holes in a complete downpour. Now who's crazy? :)

Downpour, possible lightening, being the tallest object in the vicinity, swinging a long metal pole. What could possibly go wrong? :)

QOTD: I had a random thought while I was driving to work this morning that I thought would make for a interesting question. What is the highest and lowest overall finish placement you have had during any race?

ATTQOTD: My worse finish happened during my first race ever! I was a sophomore in high school and joined the CC team late. I went out there and it was brutal lol. My whole team came out on the course and ran the last half mile or so with me. It was both lifting and embarrassing at the time. I finished with only one other person behind me, which I am not entirely sure if that person finished or dropped out. My best finish came from a very small 5k, probably around a 100 people or so. This was within the last 5 year or so, and I was tapering for a marathon that was to happen the follow week. The race was a fundraiser for a girl I know who was in a bad car accident, so i decided to run it. Well after the first mile it was just a group of 3 of us and I knew the other two people with me. One of my friends dropped off the pace around the halfway point. I ran with the other guy who was determined to win and I told him he could have it because I was not going to go any faster than 6:45 pace. With .75 miles to go he took off. With my goal marathon coming up I just let him go. I came out second and got a trophy lol. It was a lot of fun to get some hardware!

I think it’s all relative. My first race had 150-200 people and I probably finished in the top 3rd so I would have been top 50. If I usher 4th in my age group. But my most impressive, in my mind, finish was TOT. Out of 9500 ish finishers I finished in some like 634th place.

My worst came in my first BAA 10k. I ran with someone to help her. She told me mid race she hadn’t trained. We finished something like 5th from last out of 10000. I was so pissed as she had lied to me leading up to the race telling me she trained. Had I known she didn’t train I wouldn’t have run with her and I was ready to go that day!

Get comfy and grab a refreshing beverage. This is long (partly copying from my FB testimonial):

Flying Pig Marathon 2019:

After Boston, there was no way I was doing the Pig. The back to back marathoning the past few years is really taking a toll on me. I feel beaten down physically and mentally, I have lost my love of running—probably from the injuries. My training for Boston was derailed by constant pain in my hamstrings, glutes, and back. It was diagnosed as possible nerve damage, but the jury is out on whether that is the actual problem. I had been feeling pretty good the past few weeks, but felt a familiar pain in my lower leg about 10 days ago when I crossed my leg to tie my shoe. I knew it was a stress reaction, possible stress fracture in my fibula, maybe into the tibia. I have had this multiple times over the years. But it’s The Flying Pig! I love this race. It was my first marathon and I ran it 17 years ago, on this day. I would still do it, just run an easier pace and enjoy the experience. I did almost no running this past week except for the 5k with H on Saturday. I felt fine running the easy pace with him, but later in the day my leg was hurting. I knew the marathon was going to be tough. I was hoping to squeeze out 15-16 miles before it got ugly. I wasn’t even out of downtown on the way to Eden Park when I was feeling it. I knew it was going to be bad and was angry with my body. I had felt stronger those first 6 miles than I had in Boston. By mile 8, I was in a lot of pain. I knew in my heart, another 18 miles like this would be nearly impossible. I asked a course official on a bike what I should do if I needed to drop. He wasn’t sure and said to visit a medical tent. Finally at mile 10-11, I stopped. I told the woman in the tent that I think I needed to drop out of the race. Then I started crying. I have never DNF’d a race before. She wasn’t exactly sure and was offering me anything she had on hand. Unfortunately, nothing would fix this. She said she could call someone and they should be able to transport me back downtown. I asked if I could borrow her phone to call my husband to come and get me. In true dh fashion, he didn’t answer his phone. I left him a long message and said I was going to try to keep going to the next medical tent. If he had answered, I am positive I would have quit. I knew he had gone home to get the kids and they were going to come cheer me on. The thought of them being out there and not seeing me and knowing that I quit was unbearable. I also wanted to keep trying to show them that when things start sucking, you keep going and FINISH the race as long as you are able. I re-evaluated my goals. Today was no longer about hitting a certain time. I started slowly running again and did a combo run/walk. At mile 13, I stopped at medical again and asked if I could use their phone. I called dh and asked where they were. They were at mile 14! I said I would be there, but it was slow. As I turned onto Bramble, there was a group offering cups of beer—I had one. It was around here that I saw a girl walking. I asked her if she was ok and she said she was fine, just taking it slow since she had a goal race in 6 weeks. She was a Flying Pig Ambassador and we talked about marathons. She told me the story of her dad passing before she qualified and ran Boston 2018. I related since my dad who loved to watch me run died 6 weeks before my first Boston. During this, I saw dh and my sweet kids. I nearly fell into them giving hugs. I quickly got back to business and headed to Mariemont. I wished Carolyn luck and told her to go on since my walk breaks were increasing in frequency. I came close to throwing up a couple of times from the pain. I knew my support crew would be around mile 16.5 and they saw me right away! They were jumping up and down and in their boredom, had found 4 leaf clovers for me. I told them to walk with me. Eventually, I had them turn around and head back to dh. This was such a spirit lifter for me. This was the reason I was out there doing this. I was hurting so much and limping when I was walking and doing my shuffle run. I continued and stopped at another medical tent around mile 18. I called dh and let him know I was still hanging in there. (side note—I stopped racing with my phone over the last year or so. I so wished I had it today!). I knew they would be around mile 21. Right before I got to them, there was a group of kids handing out foam footballs to throw over the fence. There were kids on the other side catching them in laundry baskets. I had to do this. My kids were so excited that it made it into one of the baskets. More hugs and they walked a little with me. I continued on and at mile 22, I shot a basket in memory of Lauren Hill (note—I missed). Right after that, I got some ibuprofen for strangers. They had a table set up with all kinds of things to help runners—pretzels, pickles, water, ..they got my attention when they said ibuprofen. Around mile 23 I did another marathon first: a shot of tequila. It was Cinco de Mayo after all. I started decreasing the walk breaks—holy ****, I just wanted this over! And possibly the tequila shot helped. At mile 24, the medical tent folks asked if I was cramping since I was limping so badly. I said no it wasn’t muscular—it was a stress fracture or worse. I know there is nothing they could do for that and I said I could finish. I love the last 2 miles of the Pig course along the river, looking towards downtown. It is a huge motivator knowing the end is right there. When I was just past mile 25, a girl who I am going to presume was a first timer, started crying and telling the guy running with her that she was going to do it. She was going to complete a marathon. This made me tear up because I remember that feeling— that feeling when you know you are going to reach your goal. You train and work so hard, but in the back of your head you wonder if you can really pull it off. That moment when yes, you know you got it…it is unbelievable. As I entered downtown, I saw one last group providing cheers and refreshments. Imagine my joy when I saw that it was my local high school (I went there and my son is a freshman)! I saw some familiar faces and it gave me the last burst I needed to get to the finish line. As I was heading to the finish, I really started to play up to the crowds to get them to be louder. So much fun. I finished in 4:25. It has been a LONG time since I have had a marathon that started with a 4. I couldn’t be prouder of this race.

I cannot bear weight on my leg and there is a good amount of swelling. I dug out the crutches and I am icing my leg. Amazingly, nothing else hurts. My quads don’t even feel like they ran a race and if it wasn’t for the leg pain, I would probably have run 10 miles the next day. I will heal and recover properly and I won’t rush back into running too soon. I’ve made that mistake and it comes back to bite me on the butt. I have a BIG goal race in September in Berlin.

Two of my cheering squad. I had my oldest stay home because he had a band thing all day the day before. He needed to sleep.
View attachment 399340

My kids were showing me their 4 leaf clovers around mile 16.5.
View attachment 399342

My extra bling for being a 10 year squadron member.
View attachment 399341

Around mile 5, before things took a turn for the ugly. I am in front of the green "park" sign.
View attachment 399343

And this was from today:

View attachment 399344

It is a complete fracture of the fibula. It is pretty cleans no surgery. I was allowed to go with a boot instead of a cast--I pleaded my case that I have a vacation in 3 weeks. Now how do I do 3 days of Disney + a cruise with this? I chaperoned my 4th grader's field trip today before my appointment. My ankle/leg looks like a stuffed sausage.

And I thought running a marathon on a torn tendons was painful. Good job with your race, now get healed!

QOTD: Do you think that to put ourselves through the training and other activities that as a whole we as runners are a little crazy? What is something you do during training periods that friends/family comment about that they cant believe you are doing?

ATTQOTD: YES! But it's a healthy type of crazy obsession lol. The one comment I always heard was, wait your going to bed before 10 on a Friday to wake up before 5AM on a Saturday to run "x" miles? My response it well I can't exactly drink beer all night, wake up early and expect to have a decent long run after putting my body through something like that. They are also confused why I do things like that for a race that more than 10 weeks away lol.

I don’t think what we do is crazy but I think other people think we are. I have run in freezing temps, heat, through injury, etc... people make comments all the time about me being crazy. Happens at work all the time and then people go back to their desks and stuff their faces with junk. So who’s the real crazy one?

Regular wheelchair or scooter? There is NO WAY I can do this on crutches.

A scooter and a walking boot means you get to skip the lines.

Happy Birthday!

Best and Worst? Doesn't matter to me. I am usually middle of the pack and I just run for myself. I don't even keep a spreadsheet. (I know, blasphemy!) I can say that I have placed 1-3 in my age group in smaller races several times, but it gets easier the older I get simply through attrition. And next year I move up again -- to the old, old ladies division. LOL

Called Crazy? Always. DH and I are headed to the beach for vacation in June and most people think we are crazy to get up and run before sunrise and that we found a 10k to run in Port Orange while we are on vacation. But I have the most beautiful pictures of the sunrise over the Atlantic and it is so calm and peaceful on the beach before everybody gets out there. And as for the 10k, we get to eat breakfast at Aunt Catfish's Sunday brunch afterward. Hmmmmm!

@Bree and @Wendy98 I can't believe you were still running with such injuries. You are definitely strong, determined women.

@rteetz Happy Birthday. I hope your day was magical!

@GuinnessRunner Hope to see you on Memorial Day, and @OldSlowGoofyGuy you, too, if you decide to run it. Maybe we should all wear Disney shirts! Of course, you may be finished with the race and gone for a shower before I cross the finish line. LOL

I was told it was bursitis by the first ortho right before Dopey. After Dopey I went to a sports ortho that specializes in hips who had to fight with insurance for weeks to get me an MRA and I was diagnosed with the stress fracture at the end of February. I’m just thankful it was in a spot that didn’t require surgery!

QOTD: I was wasting some time on YouTube earlier this week and came across a video of a guy who ran a marathon without training at all! A day or two before the marathon he was buying shoes, fuel, ect for the race. Spoiler alert, the guy finished. My question for today is, if someone you knew signed up for a marathon without attempting any training would you encourage them to run it or try to talk them out of it?

ATTQOTD: I thought about some this morning, and my initial response was to try to talk them out of it. Then the twisted part of me said, nope let them go for it for a few reasons. I want to see if they can actually do it for one. Knowing how painful running a marathon can be when trained I would like to see how that person would hold up during the marathon and the following day. I feel like there is a high level of entertainment possible. I do not wish for someone to get a serious injury for doing something foolish, but watching them struggle going up and down a flight of stairs the next day would give me a good laugh.

QOTD: I was wasting some time on YouTube earlier this week and came across a video of a guy who ran a marathon without training at all! A day or two before the marathon he was buying shoes, fuel, ect for the race. Spoiler alert, the guy finished. My question for today is, if someone you knew signed up for a marathon without attempting any training would you encourage them to run it or try to talk them out of it?
I would tell them it’s harder than they may think and to be prepared that they may not finish.

ATTQOTD: I think part of the answer depends on your definition of "run". Many "younger", fit people (make up an age, maybe 18-30+) could walk 26.2 miles if there was no time limit. Would they be able to walk the next day? Probably not but they could say they finished a marathon. With almost any time limit under perhaps 7-8 hours they might be in trouble. If they understand the pace they would have to maintain and want to give it a go, then why not?

Yes, @LSUlakes , I also share your twisted part to almost hope they crash and burn so that I would feel that all of the training I did counted for something.

ATTQOTD: Someone close to me who I actually cared about? I'd probably try to dissuade them. Anyone else? I'd just smile and say, "Good luck!" It's not worth my energy trying to talk sense into someone who isn't interested, and they'll find out on their own whether or not it was a good idea.

ATTQOTD: I try to "stay in my own lane" when it comes to what others are doing. If they want to run, go for it I guess. BUT with that said, I don't think finishing is always the biggest part of the accomplishment, it's the dedication and sacrifice that it takes to prepare. My respect comes for people who respect the distance.

ATTQOTD: As someone who is ashamed to admit that I have been woefully undertrained for my last two marathons I’d say that I wouldn’t recommend it. It would boil down to whether there was any real reason for them to do it. If they are just trying to prove it can be done; that’s a pretty thin and shallow reason. If there is some deeper emotional motivation I guess I could get behind it.

That said, my guess is that the vast majority of moderately healthy (I realize this is an incredibly vague and subjective standard) sub-40-year-olds would be able to finish a marathon on short notice provided they enter the race with the right mindset. If they think they will be able to run like Eliud Kipchoge, but just a bit slower, they could easily run themselves out of a finish early on. If they are reticent of the challenge, stay within themselves, and are prepared for some pain? Getting the 26.2 done should be possible.

ATTQOTD: I try to "stay in my own lane" when it comes to what others are doing. If they want to run, go for it I guess. BUT with that said, I don't think finishing is always the biggest part of the accomplishment, it's the dedication and sacrifice that it takes to prepare. My respect comes for people who respect the distance.

Also, this.

ATTQOTD: I'd advise them to be very very careful.

I'm not exactly this scenario, but I'm close. Here are a couple excerpts I found from the longer story which is relevant:

1922 days, 100 pounds, 8511 miles, 180 minutes and it all started with a single step…

I started running in late June 2012. I was doing about 2-3 miles 3x/week. In August, one of my wife’s friends was looking to sign up for a Halloween themed race. She asked my wife if she was interested in running a half-marathon. I asked what a half marathon was because I had no idea what that meant. She explained to me it was a 13.1-mile race. I said a 13.1-mile race, I could probably do that. So, I pulled up the event’s website and checked it out. I was looking at the pricing structure for the race and noticed something called a “marathon”. I was like, oh what’s that? It looks like it is 26.2 miles. Well the cost is only $10 more and you get twice as much mileage. That seems like a better bang for your buck if you’re going to do it. So, I asked my wife’s friend if we should do the marathon instead. She had done one prior, but told me that I couldn’t do a marathon. I took that personally. No one tells me I can’t do something. If someone doubts my ability to accomplish something, then challenge accepted! I now realize that her comment was not so much you “can’t” do a marathon, but more so you “shouldn’t” do a marathon. As in, there’s only 8 weeks until race day and the furthest you’ve ever run in the last 10-12 years is 3.5 miles of which that occurred in the last 6 weeks. I made the decision that during the week I would attempt to run 6 miles on Wednesday and 10 miles on Friday. If I could accomplish both of those runs, then I’d sign up for the marathon. If I couldn’t do it, then I’d sign up for the half marathon.

So, on 8/16/12, I ran the furthest I had ever run in my life. Six total miles (well actually 5.9 miles after an adjustment). Pace wise 10:01, 10:37, 11:00, 12:13, 12:02, 11:15. Finished the 5.9 miles in 1:06:24. Again, as always this was an all-out effort. Once I finished this run, I was feeling more confident I could run 26.2 miles. I mean it’s only ~4x longer… I took a few moments to look over online training plans and just “winged” it. Said I needed a 10 miler, 12-miler, 18-miler and 20-miler. Any weekend with a 12-miler “maintenance run” was with a 6-miler during the week too.

But with all that being said, on October 13th, 2012 I lined up at the start line of my first race as an adult. I had never run a 5k (other than the Turkey Trot as a kid), no 10ks, and no HMs. I was here to run a marathon. But while I stood at the start line of the marathon, it honestly felt like the finish line. Today was the end of a long journey of losing weight and getting in shape. This race was just the finish line of this journey. Just reflect on how 3.5 months earlier I was doing whatever I could to not exercise. I’d rather have eaten less food. And now after being “forced” to run, here I was voluntarily running 26.2 miles.

I hoped to finish the marathon in under 5 hours. So of course, I lined up with the 4:30 pace group (only the beginning of good first-time marathoner decisions to come). They gave me confidence that if I could just stick with them, then I’d finish a marathon and do so under 5 hours. I mean I had just run a training run of 20 miles in 3:34 (well actually it was 19 miles, but I didn’t know that at the time). So, I only needed to cover another 6.2 miles in 1:26 to be under a 5-hr marathon. No problem, I got this. I planned to use the on-course nutrition of powerbar liquid. No gels, no chews, just the liquid on course. I was also wearing the shoes I had trained in during the last 8 weeks (a pair of Adidas running shoes I bought at an outlet store for cheap which I later discovered were trail shoes). It was about 40 degrees out and raining. Actually, near perfect conditions outside of the rain. I said my goodbyes and lined up ready to run.

So, a 4:30 marathon is a 10:18 min/mile average. I made it about 0.2 miles in and said, wow this pace is way too slow for me. I can run so much faster than this. So, I decided since I’m so fast, I should bank time in the beginning of the race. I’ll run fast in the beginning and then as the race proceeds it’ll be easier and easier to hit my goal time because of all the banked time. (Another one of the bevy of great first-time marathon choices…). I hit the first timing mat at 5 miles around an 8:11 min/mile pace (41 minutes). Just around 6 miles after the hairpin turn, I saw my 4:30 pacing group. They yelled across the sea of people to me. What are you doing? You’re going way too fast! I told them not to worry, I was feeling great. I was on 3:34 marathon pace. Today’s my day!

I had trained during the last 8 weeks with the Endurance powder that they had on course. I did this to get a feel for the taste and make sure it worked for me. Except the first time I hit an aid station, I could tell the concentration wasn’t the same as what I had trained with. The course had a much-diluted version.

I reached the 10-mile timing mat around 1:27 with an 8:45 min/mile pace. Still feeling good. The pace had slipped a bit, but that’s why you bank time in the beginning, right? It was about a 9:20 min/mile pace between the 5-mile and 10-mile timing mat. Somewhere around this is when the 4:00 pace group passed me. I remember them saying they were a bit behind pace, but they’d make up the time. I was like, wahoo, I’m at around 11-12 miles and hanging with the sub 4 pace group. Maybe I could hold on to them and do sub 4 too. Although it does seem like things are getting harder…

I remember hitting the HM timing mat at around 2:05. I was doing so well. Halfway through and I’ve got 2:55 to finish under 5 hours. This is in the bag. I just have to maintain pace.

I hit the 15-mile timing mat around 2:21 with a 9:27 min/mile pace. The pace was really starting to slip and things were getting tough. Between the 10-mile and 15-mile was a 10:50 min/mile pace. Funny enough, while I was running a woman came up from behind and asked whether I lived in Cottage Grove. I was like, sure do. She said I recognize your hair from you running in the neighborhood all the time. LOL! How funny to run into a neighbor in the middle of the race! Around mile 17, I passed my wife’s uncle’s house. My family was out in front with cow bells and yelling and screaming for me. It was a much-needed power boost as things were getting rough. The 4:15 pacer had just passed me. Only 9 miles to go! I can do 9 miles. I can stick with that pace group. That lasted a few seconds and then they left me. We approached a massive hill (8% grade over 0.15 miles) and it just took all the will out of me. I was going to finish, but no way I could go fast anymore…

I hit the 20-mile timing mat around 3:24 with a 10:12 min/mile pace. Still ahead of the 4:30 pacers. The last 5 miles though was a pace of a 12:28 min/mile. Things were definitely slowing down and it was getting tough. I was ahead of the 20-mile training run, although things weren’t feeling nearly as good. Only 6.2 miles to go. That’s like a normal weekday run. So, so, close.

The 4:30 pacers did eventually pass me, but thankfully the pacers weren’t the same (they switched at 13.1 miles) so it saved me some embarrassment. I noticed my phone was almost out of battery and there was no way I was going to finish with battery left. This was a real issue. My family was live tracking me with Runtastic. So as soon as my battery ran out on my phone the live tracking ended. This meant my little tracking guy stopped. My family started to get worried that something had happened to me. In fact, they sent Steph’s grandparents out to drive the course to see if they could find me. Apparently, they did find me, but never flagged me down to calm concerns on my end.

The last 4 miles after my phone quit was a massive struggle. I had no pace feedback and turned into survival mode. Once I was finally only meters away from the finish line I mustered enough strength to finish while running. It was me and a 60ish year old guy. I’ll admit I tried to run as fast as possible so we wouldn’t have to share a finishers photo.

Final Time: 4:50:26 (11:05 min/mile average pace)
Overall: 317/401 (79%)
Division: 33/36 (92%)

Those last 6.2 miles took me about 1:26 (13:56 min/mile pace). Funny that I had pre-predicted the need for a 1:26 6.2 miler to hit the sub-5. At the beginning of the race a 1:26 6.2 miler seemed so slow and was never going to happen. But poor pacing led to that exact predicted necessary time.

I cried like a baby when I finished. One because I had finished a marathon, but more so because I was in so much pain. I could barely walk. In fact, my grandfather in law who was in his 70s had to help me into the car to go to Steph’s uncle’s house. I had to be helped up the driveway and into the house. I swore up and down, this marathon was a one and done. No way I could put myself through that again. It was an accomplishment, but I had no desire to run a marathon ever again. The sub 4 and BQ goals were gone. I just wanted to be able to walk again. I had never heard of body glide (or products like it) and had massive chafing in between my legs and giant blisters all over my feet.

So even though I swore up and down this was my first and only marathon, Steph decided to push the issue at the celebration. She mentioned potentially doing a Disney marathon. She’s always been a Disney fanatic. We went there less than a year after we started dating. We went for our honeymoon. So, she thought maybe a marathon in Disney would be enough bait to get me to go again. But, I didn’t take the bait. I wasn’t interested in another marathon experience in my life. Then she said she had read about a “Goofy Challenge” where you run a half marathon the day before the marathon. Oh sure, that makes sense. I loved the marathon so much let’s add another 13.1 miles the day before. Nope. Nope..nope..nope. I figured I’ll stick with half marathons from now on because that seems easier to swallow...

:crazy:

Wish I would have had such a wonderful and supportive group as this that I could have bounced ideas off of.

Neither? If someone told me of such a plan I would probably ask questions with wide eyes (1) what made you want to do that (2) Do you think you will finish? (3) are you going to be able to take the day after at a really slow pace? After hearing them out, I think I could keep my opinions to myself unless it was someone I cared for and thought had some flexibility to listen to my concerns they will injure themselves.
People do silly things all the time. I would try to talk anyone out of skydiving, but not attempting to cover a long but relatively safe distance by foot.

ATTQOTD: Wait. Didn't we decide yesterday that we were the crazy ones?? Seriously, if the guy thought he could do it how is it different from us running in subzero/ 100 degree heat, snowstorms/thunderstorms, with stress fractures, etc.? I would be supportive if he really wanted to do it. Now if he asked for my opinion, I would share everything I have learned about training and let him decide how to approach the race.

ATTQOTD: I’d ask them for their bib number so I could track lol. Life finds a way to teach people plenty of lessons, some hurt more than others. Running a marathon without training will probably have a profound impact on someone, but in a relatively safe environment.

Prior to being a runner I only had a handful of running experiences. I did two 30 day outward bounds as a kid. One had a 7 mile run on the last day to celebrate, and it was probably one of the most magical runs I’ve ever had. The other had a 24 mile celebration run, that I wasn’t trained for, had GI issues the night prior, and I ran with no socks in street shoes off trails! I learned a lot about my self that day lmao.

ATTQOTD: I certainly have friends and family members who think I'm crazy for running at all, let alone multi race challenges like Rebel Challenge or Goofy/Dopey. Ultimately, I've concluded that in order for someone to understand why we do this, they need to experience it for themselves. And many choose not to.

I don’t think what we do is crazy but I think other people think we are. I have run in freezing temps, heat, through injury, etc... people make comments all the time about me being crazy. Happens at work all the time and then people go back to their desks and stuff their faces with junk. So who’s the real crazy one?
Exactly. In my normal every day life, I will only consistently hit the 10,000 steps number if I go for a minimum 30 minute run. So when people comment that I'm crazy, I just remember that exercise is not crazy and makes my quality of life better.

My question for today is, if someone you knew signed up for a marathon without attempting any training would you encourage them to run it or try to talk them out of it?
If I knew them well and/or they asked me my thoughts I would be very honest. I had a tremendous first marathon experience in large part because I had appropriately prepared for it. On the other hand, I had a very difficult first half marathon experience that nearly resulted in me never running again. While I was physically prepared enough to finish that race just fine, I was so poorly prepared mentally that I nearly destroyed that simple goal of finishing.

It helps if people know what they're getting into. It helped me tremendously to bounce ideas off people in this community in terms of addressing mental preparation before the marathon.

Yes, @LSUlakes , I also share your twisted part to almost hope they crash and burn so that I would feel that all of the training I did counted for something.
I fully confess to being one of those runners who finds a great deal of motivation in the medals. For a long time, I put up with and tolerated training because I had to train in order to finish. I have since come to realize that training does more than just prepare me for the physical demands the race will ask of. Perhaps more importantly training helps me to truly enjoy the race day experience, especially at Disney races.

ATTQOTD: having never run one I have no wisdom either way...however, after reading countless FB posts in various rD groups I'd say there are a fair amount of people that do this each year. Not sure why, but they do. Or at least they say the do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter