The Running Thread - 2019

ATTQOTD: Garmin 235. Love it for the freedom it gives me from the old dumb watch. I like the way it looks and it's become my 'all the time' watch. And it was free with REI points!

The only thing I dislike is that the HR monitor tends to have an issue with cadence lock. I've done all the 'wear it higher/tighter' adjustments but still have a problem.

Oh my! So, I'm signed up for the Peachtree 10k and have seen it has hills. I feel I need to ramp my hill training up even more now after reading your post! I have never ran it or been to Atlanta (except the airport & maybe drove through it as a kid). Like, am I going to be eaten by hills during it?

A bit. I can't remember where you run but i think it is Florida, if it is then yes this course will be hilly. The first 3 miles are gradual downhill, then cardiac hill (if you run hills this is not bad but if you are used to flat it is kind of a booger) then some more uphill but more gradual after that.

i wonder if we can do a meet up. Its a lot of people so it might be hard. i am just hoping to run into goofy guy.

A bit. I can't remember where you run but i think it is Florida, if it is then yes this course will be hilly. The first 3 miles are gradual downhill, then cardiac hill (if you run hills this is not bad but if you are used to flat it is kind of a booger) then some more uphill but more gradual after that.

i wonder if we can do a meet up. Its a lot of people so it might be hard. i am just hoping to run into goofy guy.
Nebraska, so I have hills, but not to the extreme he had posted for 6 miles so I got scared! My 6 miles today was 344 elevation gain (which who knows on accuracy on that). I do have an incline that lasts for over a mile, I plan to do at least once or twice a week to get ready as I don't want to die from the hills ( I figure the heat will do that). Thanks for the info! I'm in wave B.

Last edited:
I have a Garmin FR 35. I like it enough. It does everything I need it to do. I’m interested to see how the battery holds out once I start runs over 13 miles. It should be fine but I haven’t tested it out.

ATTQOTD: I have the Garmin Fenix 5s Rose Gold and love it so much. My one complaint is the amount of time it takes to pick up GPS tracking sometimes if I run somewhere I have never run before.

My next "big" goal is completing a 15k and then a half. :D small potatoes compared to some, but I'm excited!

I use an Apple Watch with RunKeeper. It works fine for me for now. No major complaints. Though I don't like that there's no lap feature on runkeeper with apple.

Nebraska, so I have hills, but not to the extreme he had posted for 6 miles so I got scared! My 6 miles today was 344 elevation gain (which who knows on accuracy on that). I do have an incline that lasts for over a mile, I plan to do at least once or twice a week to get ready as I don't want to die from the hills ( I figure the heat will do that). Thanks for the info! I'm in wave B.

You should be ok, The humidity and heat is what is going to get you :). I am in corral B so i will try and find you some how. Goofy Guy is in A. Corral B starts at 7:05. Where are you staying?

Hey @jennamfeo.....I didn't see my name but maybe I need glasses too:

My states are: New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia, (DC), North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, California, and Hawaii. I'm one South Carolina HM away from completing a full and half in each of the states listed except Hawaii.

I plan to add Arizona to the list this summer (got any suggestions for a good place to run?)

Last edited:
ATTQOTD-I switched to a Garmin 235 last November. It does way more than my old Garmin and Ironman watches ever could!

ATTQOTD-Next big running goal......sub 50 minutes for a 10k

My next "big" goal is completing a 15k and then a half. :D small potatoes compared to some, but I'm excited!
I once met a runner beaming with excitement 2 days after finishing her first 5K. She almost apologized for wearing her 5K medal while so many were wearing their half or challenge medals, but I told her not to worry about it, celebrate what she accomplished and enjoy it. She earned it. Her achievement that weekend did not differ from mine despite each of us wearing different medals. She worked hard to reach that moment and hoped that it would be the first of many.

All that really matters is that you set your goals and they have meaning to you. The distances may be shorter than some, but they are no less meaningful to you because of the work you put in to reach your goal and whatever goals you decide to set beyond these ones.

ATTQOTD: I've been borrowing my husband's Garmin 935 + pod. It's overkill of course at my level. But the nerd in me loves all the running metrics data! Highly motivational.

ATTQOTD: Until last weekend, I was running with just my iPhone. I now have an iWatch 3 but still want my phone for other reasons.

I use NRC but am considering switching to another app on the watch/phone because sometimes during the sync, yesterday’s run disappeared. Suggestions?

ETA: Runkeeper or Strava to import NRC data and keep track of shoe usage as well?

Last edited:
@LSUlakes

2 races to add:

June 1 Mr. PaDisneyCouple Double Creek Half Marathon (2:20/)
June 8 Mr. PaDisneyCouple Run Like an Animal 5k (NG/)

Free entry into the 5k, given because of major on-course errors last year. And great door prizes afterwards!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!