The Running Thread - 2019

Nebraska, so I have hills, but not to the extreme he had posted for 6 miles so I got scared! My 6 miles today was 344 elevation gain

813 foot elevation gain in 6 miles.

I was not clear in my original post. 813 feet was my training run, not Peachtree.

I checked last years run and Peachtree is 314 foot elevation gain and 403 foot elevation loss. So you're right on the money with 344!

QOTD: Since I have GPS watches on my mind, what are you currently using for tracking runs and what do you like and dislike about it?

ATTQOTD: I currently have a Garmin 235. It's only 3 years old, so I am crazy for thinking about switching. I like and dislike the optical HR monitor. I like I can see RHR all day long, it counts steps, sleep, good GPS signal, and a lot of other features. I dislike how the optical HR device sticks out and now I have a weird mark on my arm from wearing the watch all of the time. I also like cool gadgets and like having the new ones lol.

I use Runkeeper on my phone. I have been since I started 5 years ago. It does everything I need so I don’t see any reason to spend a few hundred on a Garmin.

I once met a runner beaming with excitement 2 days after finishing her first 5K. She almost apologized for wearing her 5K medal while so many were wearing their half or challenge medals, but I told her not to worry about it, celebrate what she accomplished and enjoy it. She earned it. Her achievement that weekend did not differ from mine despite each of us wearing different medals. She worked hard to reach that moment and hoped that it would be the first of many.

All that really matters is that you set your goals and they have meaning to you. The distances may be shorter than some, but they are no less meaningful to you because of the work you put in to reach your goal and whatever goals you decide to set beyond these ones.

100% correct. Everyone is on different spots in their journey. Often times the couch to 5k is the hardest step because that person is changing habits. Once you get hooked on running the longer distances are more often a mental hurdle than anything.

Not imperative that I’m added to the list. Mine is pretty sad: IN, OH, MI, and FL. Worse yet is that I’ve run everywhere I’ve gone since I started running in 2011, I just don’t go anywhere.

I have a Garmin 235 and like it for running. I do wear it every day, but won't wear it to nice events or functions as it is not exactly stylish, especially since I have the teal strap. I am intrigued by newer models, but I am cheap and won't purchase one until my current watch goes.

@LSUlakes.

Race results from Mother's Day weekend.
May
11 - PJofNB - Fredericton Marathon Weekend 3k (NG / 12:27)
12 - PJofNB - Fredericton Half Marathon (1:44:59 / 1:42:43)

Conditions were great and the runs were well organized and fun. The Fredericton Marathon is run every Mother's Day - the flat, fast course and mild weather make this an attractive Boston qualifier. I am way behind on this thread but will try to post a recap once I catch up.

ETA: @camaker, thanks for the tips about the HR monitor and cadence lock. I will watch for this in future!

Last edited:
QOTD: Yesterday afternoon I had thought of a really great question, and of course I did not write it down and forgot it lol. So instead I offer this question. Is there a race you have done where you didn't have your best day or had not properly trained and would like another try at it? If so what is the race and is it likely you will be able to try it again?

ATTQOTD: Yes. The race is called the Bear 5 Miler in North Carolina. I ran it while I was at that running camp I went to. Unfortunately I was not in great running shape so I did not have a great run that day. The race is all up hill, its literally running up a mountain. So I was at a disadvantage with not being in great running shape, hills, and being at elevation. While I would love to give that race another try, I doubt I will have the opportunity to go back.

QOTD: Since I have GPS watches on my mind, what are you currently using for tracking runs and what do you like and dislike about it?

ATTQOTD: I bought a Garmin FR 235 at the beginning of March and am very happy with it. I previously used an old Garmin 10, but it became very unreliable about picking up satellites last year. I borrowed my son's FR 35 for the Princess half in February, was happy with that and went shopping when I got home from WDW. Based upon recommendations here, plus a sale, I ended up with the 235.

I have been wearing the watch all the time. It has all the functionality (and more) that I need for training. I still need to learn to use some of the options effectively. It gets satellite signals quickly and has good battery life. I am intrigued (obsessed?) by the heart rate monitor but have doubts about the accuracy at times. I don't have other heart rate data for comparison, but was surprised at how high the numbers were for what was a sustainable (30+ minute) effort. The idea of a smart watch did not interest me, but after having it for a while I have found the alerts from my phone convenient.

Those of you using Apple watches, especially the new 4, can they display your current pace? Accurately?

ATTQOTD-YES, I would love to run the Marine Corps Marathon again. I went out too fast, stepped in a pothole and twisted my ankle around mile 8, and completely broke down emotionally at the mile with all the people holding flags and pictures of loved ones that had been lost. I walked most of that mile shaking hands and thanking as many people as I could. Think I can improve on the first two, probably still get emotional with the dedication mile. Despite my not so stellar time, it's still one of the best events I've participated in.

I too use a Garmin 235 and have been doing so since November 2016. It was a replacement for my Garmin 620 which required a chest strap HR monitor. After months of use it started to cause a wound on my chest, so I stopped using it. So the optical HR monitor has been a nice change. On rare occasion I've gotten "cadence lock" from my optical, but for the most part the HR data has been very consistent (although I wouldn't much trust anything for very short durations as HR tends to lag and optical seems even further behind). I tend to run by effort for the majority of the time, and my HR tends to match quite well upon post-run review. I even use the HR data to track changes in the relationship between HR (or %Heart Rate Reserve) and Pace. It's a useful measure to track improvements over long periods of time. Like the graph below:

Screen Shot 2019-05-16 at 8.50.36 AM.png

Consistently the HR data (or %HRR) shows a logarithmic relationship with pace. As one improves, you can run at a faster pace at the same HR (or %HRR). This graph comes from my Spring 2017 training cycle with a Daniels 10k plan, and shows probably the most dramatic shift in HRvPace data I've collected to date. Roughly 80% HRR is where my marathon pace usually lies. So in February when training began (coming off a recovery cycle) it was around a 7:55 min/mile. At peak in late April/early May, it was closer to a 6:45 min/mile. The relationship of HRvPace is influenced by environmental factors. So a change in elevation gain in the route, or a change in T+D will influence the relationship. That can be seen here too as mid-May is when the weather started to increase beyond a T+D of 100 that Spring and while I was still as fit, I wasn't as fast because of environmental changes.

QOTD: Yesterday afternoon I had thought of a really great question, and of course I did not write it down and forgot it lol. So instead I offer this question. Is there a race you have done where you didn't have your best day or had not properly trained and would like another try at it? If so what is the race and is it likely you will be able to try it again?

ATTQOTD: I'd say I've already had that scenario play out. In the Spring of 2015, I ran the Wisconsin Marathon with dreams of a sub-4. I thought I was well prepared, but learned later that my training was inadequate (PR the day type training). By Mile 8-9 the wheels had fallen off and I was completely discouraged. It's the one time I considered a DNF, not because I was injured, but because I wasn't having the day I dreamed of. But I pushed on and finished in a personal worst of 4:58:53. From there, it was either I quit trying to get a sub-4 because it's never going to happen for me, or I try to find a new path to my goal. That race was the catalyst for making serious changes in my training. I accomplished the sub-4 that Fall with a 3:38 off the "train slow to race fast" approach and vowed to return in the Spring of 2016 to the Wisconsin Marathon. It was my redemption tour. I came in way better trained. And in my second attempt on the same course I ran a 3:28:35. Dropped a little over 90 min off my time in a single year.

Today’s QOTD I would like to have trained more for this past WDW marathon, I did all the Galloway scheduled runs and thought I was ready but really had a tough time from miles 19-24. A five mile wall before my second wind was more than I expected. Still I finished with a smile and will have another go at it soon enough.

Yes. I was fortunate enough to get in NYC Marathon for 2018, but had just run Chicago as my "A Race" 4 weeks prior. That's not how I planned it, but I was really lucky and happened to get in both lotteries unexpectedly. Anyways, I hadn't fully recovered from Chicago and I couldn't resist running too fast in Brooklyn early. So the 2nd half of NY was pretty rough. If I had a do-over, I'd run this easier and just enjoy this awesome event. Most of the 2nd half's miles had my head hanging which is a shame because the environment was great. I doubt I'll ever get to do it again, but I might start throwing my name in the lottery next year just so I have a chance at it.

Yes, the LA Marathon. I dealt with IT band issues all through training and they flared up right at the halfway point and affected the whole second half of the race. I'm definitely considering going back, possibly next year and if not, then 2021.

QOTD: I don't know about getting them back to do again, but my first two marathons (both Disney) were definitely not my day. I had no business trying to run a marathon, I was not in good enough shape. I used the Coach Jenny beginner plan both times which a) I was barely fit enough to finish and b) did not have nearly enough miles to get you ready for a marathon. I mean, I finished them both but I was miserable. It forced me to start doing other things right, like take my diet more seriously. I dropped about 25-30 lbs and tried again after taking a year off, with yet another lower mileage plan, and improved my time by 30 mins or so and felt a lot better fitness wise. Still not where I wanted to be but WAY better. After that I tried a DopeyBadger plan for my next marathon, trained way more weekly miles, and cut my PR by another 35 minutes. This time around (when I finally sign up for another marathon) I'm going to get serious about my diet AND training plan. It's a learning process folks. Some people like me just take longer to learn than others.

QOTD: Is there a race you have done where you didn't have your best day or had not properly trained and would like another try at it? If so what is the race and is it likely you will be able to try it again?
ATTQOTD: My feeling with races (so far) has been as long as I finish, I am pretty happy. And up until now, I have been able to finish every race. There are definitely a few races where I didn't hit my time goal - most recently the Star Wars Rival Run 10K (still trying to figure out what happened there) that I wouldn't mind another shot at only to improve my time but nothing drastic enough that I would like to hit a full reset button.

I'd like another crack at the Light Side 10k/Half. I was massively undertrained for them and spent both races trying to figure out how far ahead of the sweepers I was.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!