The Running Thread - 2019

I asked @Wendy98 for advice and she recommended using BAA's https://www.marathontours.com/races/boston-marathon-384/hotels but they have specific cancellation policies. We ended up booking a suite to bring the kids along since this will be my only Boston. We tried to get one at the chute, but it sold out the day it opened. It's actually become a huge family thing since DH is also bringing our moms. My brother and his partner live in NY so they'll probably take the train out. And now my SIL and her husband might come since they have friends in Boston one of whom runs it every year.

I'm sorry to her about Mallory. Lots of cuddles and steaks for her!

Yeah i used the list from Marathon Tours. I am thinking of maybe booking through them if it is cheaper. I may actually make it worse and go big or go home (in terms of fancy hotels in Boston) if DH comes and stay someplace really nice. Where did you end up booking? i just really want to be some place that i don't need a car. i want it to be as easy as possible.

Thanks for the mallory love. I brought coworkers home for lunch so she was happy.

ATTQOTD: After reviewing hundreds of race photos, I can safely say I NEVER smile during a race and have never taken a good race photo.

The worst (and please don't elect me the winner) is from 2016 Peachtree. I'm guessing this must be at the top of Cardiac Hill. Yeah, I'm so miserable, I'm running with my eyes closed.

upload_2019-5-17_14-33-32.png

The best (still not smiling) is from 2015 Rocket City Marathon. This is around mile 19. It was a hot day but I still managed an 8 minute PR. To me it says 'in control and getting the job done.' The big orange thing is a space shuttle external fuel tank.

upload_2019-5-17_14-40-3.png

It's Finally FRIDAY! Which can mean only one thing, it's time for our Fun Friday QOTD: Earlier this week someone suggested to post our worse and best race photos, so lets see what you got!

ATTQOTD: View attachment 401271 View attachment 401272

So I had to borrow one of my text. First picture sums up how I felt about this years WDW marathon, and the second one... well sometimes you just need a beer to celebrate being halfway finished a marathon, while also making it on the news lol.

I have never once bought any race pictures of myself. I don't even really look at them. The ones that I see aren't good so I just stopped looking.

@canglim52 good luck tomorrow. You have had an awesome training cycle. I hope you crush it. Hope the weather holds out for you.

FYI I booked a room for Boston, near the finish looking for convenience. Wow holy disney prices. The Westin is not cheap. I will look if any packages become available but i wanted to secure a room that i can cancel if needed.

As a MA resident I can confirm Boston prices are ridiculous. I haven't checked hotel prices at all but considering it costs at least $50 to park near Fenway for a game I can only imagine what hotels are.

Love reading about everyone's not-perfect races, very inspirational!
ATTYQOTD: I have no race I want to redo as a revenge. Even when it is though, I learn something from it. I wish I had not fallen in the Ottawa 10k last year but not enough to redo the same race by itself. Maybe as part of the Lumberjack Challenge one day.

ATTQOTD:
My « worst » picture (within the ones that I bought or kept) is one of my favourite. I am going super fast but look perfectly relaxed except for the tongue... And there is a guy with a chicken head in it. And the baristas at the local Starbucks offered me a coffee after.
11C522EA-B309-495A-81A5-6FCFC1D5EC25.jpeg
In the best picture category there is this one from my first runDisney
0D45D95C-A835-41F7-8E0A-950B11145D19.jpeg
And this first finish line for DD (with DH behind):
3787305F-69E7-44BE-ADBE-1BB6DF994429.jpeg

ATTQOTD: After reviewing hundreds of race photos, I can safely say I NEVER smile during a race and have never taken a good race photo.

The worst (and please don't elect me the winner) is from 2016 Peachtree. I'm guessing this must be at the top of Cardiac Hill. Yeah, I'm so miserable, I'm running with my eyes closed.

View attachment 401309

Wow, you are ripped in this picture.

My favorite group picture.
IMG_1759.JPG

My wife snapped this after I passed her in the Chicago marathon. It was the best trained I've ever been for a race and I enjoyed the whole thing.

IMG_3174.JPG

What's better than Bacon?

IMG_2558.JPG

Hey everyone! I've been MIA for awhile during a very crazy season of life/ work stuff, though I must admit I'm an intermittent poster on my best day. I missed Star Wars because the $$$ weren't there, even though I was in Orlando already. Ultimately it's fine- there will be other races- but I was so bummed at the time. Adult decisions... sigh. I recently had a a chance to catch up on this thread, and I present to you a very unfortunate race photo (has watermark because I'm not paying for that). It is the finish for my half pr, so I do appreciate it for that. The other is post- race, from Wine and Dine two years ago. I sewed our Haunted Mansion costumes, and I'm pretty proud.
IMG_0991.PNG IMG_0719.JPG

@rteetz

upload_2019-5-18_11-33-31.png

There's so much going on in this picture:

1. You're giving the thumbs up despite the look on your face.
2. I can't believe you carry your phone.
3. Mystery hands on both your shoulders like you have a ghost hitchhiker.
4. Faster guy on the left letting out a yell. Hard to tell if it's a yell of pain or joy.
5. Glamour girl over your Nike shoulder taking the best race photo over.
6. Mom to the right encouraging (or possibly scolding) her daughter.

@rteetz

View attachment 401405

There's so much going on in this picture:

1. You're giving the thumbs up despite the look on your face.
2. I can't believe you carry your phone.
3. Mystery hands on both your shoulders like you have a ghost hitchhiker.
4. Faster guy on the left letting out a yell. Hard to tell if it's a yell of pain or joy.
5. Glamour girl over your Nike shoulder taking the best race photo over.
6. Mom to the right encouraging (or possibly scolding) her daughter.
It is quite the picture. My face looks like I am dying but its the 5K.

This was the 2013 marathon where I was sick and it was 1000 degrees. I was not looking so hot in DHS.FB_IMG_1558179947446.jpg

Same marathon, about three miles before. My arm looks ripped! HahahaFB_IMG_1558178609196.jpg

2018 redemption marathon. I looked great in almost every picture. That's what no flu and running 2 hours faster will get you! And these were both at the end!
FB_IMG_1558179967753.jpg
FB_IMG_1558179976476.jpg

I lol literally every time I see this pic. Did I win the Olympic 10k final heat? No. Did I even win the Star Wars 10k? No. Did I break a fibula? Nope. Despite all appearances none of these things happened. This is just my reaction hitting my sub-1 hour goal in the 10k. Did I mention I'm a little dramatic over my goals? I'll call this both my best and worst race pic.

tenk finish3 smaller.jpg

Fargo 5/18 Race recap:

Conditions: Rain, Wind 20mph, and UV Index 1
Start T+D: 45°F + 44°F
End T+D: 46°F + 43°F
Sleep 6:18, RHR 36, and VO2Max 67

What a day! I came up here on a mission, and I knew exactly what I needed to do. I’m tired... but I’m still elated! I’m elated because I nailed my goal despite all the obstacles. I’m elated because my legs took over down the stretch despite some negative thoughts. I’m elated because I felt how fit I am, and yet I still have a lot of meat on the bone for future improvement. Today was a good day!

As for the race it’s self, it was an event lol. Due to some nerves I decided to carb load the night before, rather than 2 days prior like originally planned. I will not do that again. Although after writing this I’m 99% sure it was a lack of water pre race that ultimately did me in. The early gel put too much carb in system with not enough water.

First 3-4 miles were great! I didn’t feel as strong as some other races, but I knew my legs would settle in just fine. I was chatting with several runners off and on and was chillin for a good stretch of the first 6-7 with a guy from Boston. For the first few miles I was completely blind, but he let me know around 4 I was cruising. I thought I was going to have a stupid good race, but after my first gel I knew there was some issues coming. It just didn’t hit right, maybe a little too early(Mile 4).Also during training my left hamstring was bothering me a little, and I knew it would prob get sore today. I was certainly a little rattled to feel it act up so early on. I kept my composure, and instead of getting up to pace, I just kept it easy. I ended up with 1:06:01 in zone 2 and kept a low HR throughout. Obviously, not ideal for max performance but absolutely proud of the adjustment I made because it saved me for the wind.

I lost Boston around 6-7, but around 8-9 I was joined by a guy from Quebec. We hung for a little bit and settled into a nice grove. We hit a turn about, but the course attendees weren’t paying attention and let us go the wrong way. Luckily it cost us less than 30 sec or so, but the French Canadian was not happy and let them know lol. Another group caught us due to that, and he latched on with them for good.

I should have stayed with them, but my stomach was really bad at this point, and my hands were too cold to unzip my pockets lmao. I really didn’t want the gel anyways, so I gave up. Finally around 14-15 I pulled over for a pit stop. Also unzipped my pocket and grabbed a gel. Runners brain got me, I didn’t open the gel until I was running again and I butchered the tear lol. I tossed the gel out of frustration and didn’t take my second gel until around 19. I decided to go with caffeine Sis instead because I needed a little pick up.

At this point I had been running alone for a bit, I was starting to get hit with blast of headwind with a steady breeze every time I turned east or north... plus my hamstring was singing and my butt was chaffed too... I was freaking cranky lmao. Luckily I started to rebound after getting some more water down. In hindsight, a lack of water was probably what caused the stomach issues. I was too worried about pit stops I barely had any water pre race with my carbs.

At around 21-22 I was grinding. I was hurting but I wasn’t laboring. My legs just kicked into autopilot. I just kept embracing the suck and grinding hard. I was able to get another gel in, and took a swish of Powerade around 23. I knew I was close to a BQ, but I wasn’t sure how close. I knew I hit around a 1:25 front half, but I didn’t feel like attempting math at that point. I settled on sub 7 would get me there. I hit my worse splits on 24 and 25, and I was annoyed because I knew I was being lazy. After a little pep talk and a grunt, my legs begrudgingly responded. I even threw a lil sumpin’ sumpin’ at the end with a sub 5 min pace on the final 200 m

I was tired but could have been worse, the kick at the end was the main reason lol. Still worth it, only I know what these legs had... so I have to live with my self when I loaf. Also, I may need to add more rest on my next taper... I just wasn’t 100% strong like I’ve felt on other races. Either way, I have plenty of time to analyze my results and improve, now is my time to celebrate!! Great day and great course!! So happy I made the trip and even more happy I BQed.... Boston 2020 here I come

Also special thanks to @DopeyBadger for helping me achieve a goal that I thought was crazy! Thanks to Billy I achieved a BQ in less than 4 years(pre 34!!!). Thanks Billy!!

Last edited:
Fargo 5/18 Race recap:

What a day! I came up here on a mission, and I knew exactly what I needed to do. I’m tired... but I’m still elated! I’m elated because I nailed my goal despite all the obstacles. I’m elated because my legs took over down the stretch despite some negative thoughts. I’m elated because I felt how fit I am, and yet I still have a lot of meat on the bone for future improvement. Today was a good day!

As for the race it’s self, it was an event lol. Due to some nerves I decided to carb load the night before, rather than 2 days prior like originally planned. I will not do that again. Although after writing this I’m 99% sure it was a lack of water pre race that ultimately did me in. The early gel put too much carb in system with not enough water.

First 3-4 miles were great! I didn’t feel as strong as some other races, but I knew my legs would settle in just fine. I was chatting with several runners off and on and was chillin for a good stretch of the first 6-7 with a guy from Boston. For the first few miles I was completely blind, but he let me know around 4 I was cruising. I thought I was going to have a stupid good race, but after my first gel I knew there was some issues coming. It just didn’t hit right, maybe a little too early(Mile 4).Also during training my left hamstring was bothering me a little, and I knew it would prob get sore today. I was certainly a little rattled to feel it act up so early on. I kept my composure, and instead of getting up to pace, I just kept it easy. I ended up with 1:06:01 in zone 2 and kept a low HR throughout. Obviously, not ideal for max performance but absolutely proud of the adjustment I made because it saved me for the wind.

I lost Boston around 6-7, but around 8-9 I was joined by a guy from Quebec. We hung for a little bit and settled into a nice grove. We hit a turn about, but the course attendees weren’t paying attention and let us go the wrong way. Luckily it cost us less than 30 sec or so, but the French Canadian was not happy and let them know lol. Another group caught us due to that, and he latched on with them for good.

I should have stayed with them, but my stomach was really bad at this point, and my hands were too cold to unzip my pockets lmao. I really didn’t want the gel anyways, so I gave up. Finally around 14-15 I pulled over for a pit stop. Also unzipped my pocket and grabbed a gel. Runners brain got me, I didn’t open the gel until I was running again and I butchered the tear lol. I tossed the gel out of frustration and didn’t take my second gel until around 19. I decided to go with caffeine Sis instead because I needed a little pick up.

At this point I had been running alone for a bit, I was starting to get hit with blast of headwind with a steady breeze every time I turned east or north... plus my hamstring was singing and my a$$*a$$*a$$* was chaffed too... I was freaking cranky lmao. Luckily I started to rebound after getting some more water down. In hindsight, a lack of water was probably what caused the stomach issues. I was too worried about pit stops I barely had any water pre race with my carbs.

At around 21-22 I was grinding. I was hurting but I wasn’t laboring. My legs just kicked into autopilot. I just kept embracing the suck and grinding hard. I was able to get another gel in, and took a swish of Powerade around 23. I knew I was close to a BQ, but I wasn’t sure how close. I knew I hit around a 1:25 front half, but I didn’t feel like attempting math at that point. I settled on sub 7 would get me there. I hit my worse splits on 24 and 25, and I was annoyed because I knew I was being lazy. After a little pep talk and a grunt, my legs begrudgingly responded. I even threw a lil sumpin’ sumpin’ at the end with a sub 5 min pace on the final 200 m

I was tired but could have been worse, the kick at the end was the main reason lol. Still worth it, only I know what these legs had... so I have to live with my self when I loaf. Also, I may need to add more rest on my next taper... I just wasn’t 100% strong like I’ve felt on other races. Either way, I have plenty of time to analyze my results and improve, now is my time to celebrate!! Great day and great course!! So happy I made the trip and even more happy I BQed.... Boston 2020 here I come

Also special thanks to @DopeyBadger for helping me achieve a goal that I thought was crazy! Thanks to Billy I achieved a BQ in less than 4 years(pre 34!!!). Thanks Billy!!

Wow, amazing that you got that time despite the weather and stomach issues! Way to go! Your training has certainly paid off.

Fargo 5/18 Race recap:

At this point I had been running alone for a bit, I was starting to get hit with blast of headwind with a steady breeze every time I turned east or north... plus my hamstring was singing and my a$$*a$$*a$$* was chaffed too... I was freaking cranky lmao. Luckily I started to rebound after getting some more water down. In hindsight, a lack of water was probably what caused the stomach issues. I was too worried about pit stops I barely had any water pre race with my carbs.

:woohoo:

You forgot your finish time!

Fargo 5/18 Race recap:

Great job, @canglim52!! Way to hang in through the adversity for the BQ!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter