The Running Thread - 2019

@Disney at Heart good luck this weekend. You got some terribly hot weather you are going to deal with. i know you are aware but ugh!! i guess summer is here.
Thanks. I’m not looking forward to Monday’s heat. I guess it will be good training for Peachtree! I wasn’t counting on July weather in May! This is a case where “slow but steady” finishes the race, with no regard to time. I speculate there will be a few DNS/DNFs this year.

ATTQOTDs: Weather - hot/humid/sucks

time mgmt: I usually hit the streets between 4:30 and 6, so I get the run out of the way before work/family time. this way, during the week, I can spend time with family, but since the boys are older and spend all their time in their rooms, I am not sure they would miss me if I ran in the afternoons now.

clothing: as needed. I have not bought new shorts in several years. New shirts has been about forever. My wife got me some Target C9 shirts when I moved from cotton to wicking type shirts, and I still wear those during the week. between race shirts and running club shirts, there has not been a need to get new ones.....

QOTD: So perhaps not running related question today... What is the longest sporting event you have watched either live or TV?

ATTQOTD: My first thought was maybe a marathon, but those things are won in 2:10 or less these days. So then I thought, well the LSU V/S TA&M football game that went into 8 OT's this past season has to be up there. (Could be wrong on the amount of OT's). Then last night happened. A LSU baseball game started at 8:20 PM. No rain delay or any other weather type delay... 17 innings later I found myself up at 3:00 AM!!! BTW, in both the baseball and football games my team lost :(
Waking up at 6:00 AM for work today, this is going to be a looonnnngggggg day. :surfweb:

Answer to a few QOTD......

Weather - it’s already hot here

Running clothes - I buy clothes when I need to or every once and awhile where something is on clearance or a good sale. I practically live in running/work clothes these days.

Live sport - can’t think of anything I’ve been to live but I remember staying up to watch the Cubs win the World Series and it taking awhile. That’s all I’ve got off the top of my head‍♀️

ATTQOTD: TV either the overtime world series game for the white sox in 2005 that went 14 innings or the triple overtime Blackhawks vs Ducks game few years ago.
Live: pick any crew meet I used to be a part of. They would last allllll day.

Catching up after a business trip and a Disney Trip. I tried to keep up while gone but the above mentioned pop ups made me want to toss my phone against a wall. I loved seeing all the race photos!

QOTD: How the running weather in your part of the world these days? Cold, hot, perfect?
Up until last week it was great, 45ish in the AM, 60 at lunch, I wanted to run all the miles. This week it is rather stormy, hot and humid. Having just gotten back from FL I am telling myself I am more adjusted to the current forecast than I think I am. I got my aftershokz delivered yesterday so I am hoping to figure out how to pair them in the next hour and use that as motivation to run between storm clouds.

QOTD: How do you balance running and real life (job, family, relationships, financial, and other things)?.

Similar to the above, I think I am doing worse job at this than those around me. When in the office (this is becoming more rare), I can run on my lunch hour. Most of the people I work with know I will not be attending their meetings until 1:10pm or will be coming sweating and in running gear. As there is zero chance of running after work, my other option is early, but as work has ramped up with people in different time zones I am getting to bed later and this snowballs to bad mornings. Weekends have been consumed by kids activities (seriously thought this would not happen until they were in at least middle school), so I can pull off about 1.5 hours on Saturday AM. If I am not done before activities begin it is simply not going to happen. Overall, I end up perpetually undertrained for races but I am not willing to miss playing with my kids after work/school, attending their sporting events, or cooking real food to make more running time. I am willing to let the lawn look terrible, and never get around to putting laundry away. I cannot do it all, and never have been able to do so, I think this would be the case with or without kids. Previously it would have been working 80 hour weeks, or going out to hear local bands into the wee hours, or how I lived somewhere unsafe to run most of the time. There is always a reason.

The biggest thing I end up sacrificing for running is sleep - the alarm goes off at least half an hour early on any weekday that I'm running, and early races aren't just a thing in Orlando.
I would be fine with a 6:30 start! My next half does not start until 8:30. I will have plenty of time for breakfast?

QOTD: So perhaps not running related question today... What is the longest sporting event you have watched either live or TV?
3 extra innings of baseball were watched in person, I cannot remember the date or opponent.
Most memorable to me was June 8, 2002 as I was camping with friends and we drove into a small bar to watch the Wings defeat Carolina in the third OT. The kind folk in Great Bend, ON kept pouring well after closing time so we could watch the end of the game.

ATTQOTD: October 4, 2014, Giants vs. Nationals playoff game that went 18 innings, 6 hours 23 minutes. That is back when the Giants were still relevant (actually went on and won the World Series that year) so I stayed up and watched the whole thing. Giants won when Brandon Belt hit a HR in the top of the 18th and Nats didn't score in the bottom of the inning. Giants had another 18 inning game this year on April 13th against the Rockies. Giants won with a walk off RBI single. I did not stay up for that one, lol. When Giants play at home an evening game doesn't even start till 8:45 pm my time so I can't stay up 6 hours beyond that and function the next day at work. Heck, I can't even stay up for a regular 9 inning game and get up for work the next day. I watch a few innings, DVR the rest, then watch it the next day if we win. This year I haven't had to watch many of my DVR'd games. :sad2:

Has anyone else had trouble with this site this week? I usually get on with my iPad but this whole week I keep getting redirected to a spam site. It’s only happening with this site and it appears to be an IOS issue. I can’t get rid of it.

Me! I finally gave up trying to use the ipad and am logging in after I've finished whatever I need to do on my computer. I've tried everything short of returning the iPad to factory settings.

USS/ISI swim meets at a teenager. Got to sit through the morning session as a sibling was competing, and then swam in the afternoon session and again with a distance event in the evening.

ATTQOTD: I'm not sure of the longest... But talking about length of games, doesn't it seem like college football games have gotten significantly longer in the last few years? I will forever watch, but the games seem SO long lately.

ATTQOTD: I'm not sure of the longest... But talking about length of games, doesn't it seem like college football games have gotten significantly longer in the last few years? I will forever watch, but the games seem SO long lately.

I think a few things are to thank for how long they last now. Games on TV probably play a large roll in it. Also, challenging calls on the field add time as well. A lot more passing in todays game the years past with the clock stopping for incomplete passes. Maybe a minor adder would be almost zero kick-off returns to run time off. It also seems like it goes like this. Touchdown - played review - commercial - kickoff - commercial - 1st down.

I think a few things are to thank for how long they last now. Games on TV probably play a large roll in it. Also, challenging calls on the field add time as well. A lot more passing in todays game the years past with the clock stopping for incomplete passes. Maybe a minor adder would be almost zero kick-off returns to run time off. It also seems like it goes like this. Touchdown - played review - commercial - kickoff - commercial - 1st down.

You are completely right. Add a few more commercials and I feel like you don't find a game under 4 hours.

That’s all television based and it’s going on in pretty much every sport. They’d find a place for those commercials in the NFL and College Football regardless of what rule changes were put in to lessen stoppages. The networks and the NFL/NCAA love being able to cover more of their airtime and have more ad time in live football.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!