The Running Thread - 2019

ATTQOTD (Yesterday): I don't mind the change. :confused3 The emojis are easier to find to me, and I like the options other than just"like". Although I was confused the first time I clicked it because it never changed to Unlike.

ATTQOTD (today): I just make sure I carry more water and have something in the car to drink afterward. I bring beach towels to cover the seats of my car due to sweat, try to wear lighter colored clothing, run on more shaded paths, and adjust my paces according to the T&D. I have no street lights where I live, so early morning running isn't an option, plus I love sleep.

ATTQOTD: Wear running belt with water (I will even put water bottle in freezer for 60-90 minutes prior to my run to make sure its cold when I start) . Shorten and change my running route to stay out of heat and take advantage of shady stretches wherever possible, and allow a pit stop to refill my water bottle. Most importantly, listen to my body. First hint of not feeling right when it gets REALLY hot (like this week), shut it down.

I really don't want to shift from my lunch runs (I enjoy my evenings at home, and I already get up at 4am to go to work, so mornings are out), so I will tough out the heat as best I can.

@apdebord my condolences on the loss of your fur baby.

For the Summer, I switch to earlier runs. I did my first pre-work run for the year this morning since we're supposed to have temperatures in the 90s this afternoon. I'll also do my weekend runs earlier. I'll keep with this schedule until September/October. I also start carrying nuun in my water even for short runs.

I don't really change much during the summer. In fact, I run outside more. The only two things I do are wear more sunscreen and wear light-colored tank tops.

ATTQOTD: Things I *should* do include: carry more water & run earlier (aka before it gets above 85). What really happens is: I snooze, it's hot, I don't carry water, and #sportsbrasquad. But right now I am just doing my #RunStreak, so it's just one milers mostly. Once I get on my marathon training plan it will be lots of hydration and getting up at 4am.

Here is a race equivalency chart for a 10:10 min/mile 10k.

View attachment 404024

These would be the training paces calculated based on it.

View attachment 404023

But the core of the question is, how do I figure out my own paces? The easy answer is use an online calculator like McMillan or Hansons. But below is the math I use in my calculator:

View attachment 404027

In the above chart you see "Distance", "Miles", "Race Equivalency", "Pace/mi" and "Pace/km". The key column here is race equivalency. The conversion from one distance to another is based on research showing that optimal conversion occurs around 1.06 to 1.08 depending on the distance. The formula is T2 = T1 x (D2 / D1)C developed by Peter Riegel back in the 70s. The "C" is the exponential conversion factor ranging from 1.06 to 1.08. The one thing to keep in mind is that recent research suggests the marathon conversion is probably closer to 1.06 to 1.15 (average).

View attachment 404026

Second we develop the paces based on that race equivalency. The M, HM, 10k, 5k, 3k, 1 mile are just times from the race equivalency calculator. The LR is 9% slower than M Tempo, Easy is 12-20% slower, and recovery is 28% slower. So the changes occur based on % change rather than a set value like 30 seconds. The calculation for "Lactate Threshold" is a Daniels proprietary calculation that I can't share.

Wow this is super helpful and super interesting. I have been running my long runs coming in at an average of about a 10:50 pace and my recent ten-miler made me feel a bit like I was gonna die at the end. 😬 I was thinking, maybe I need to slow down a little more...this suggests I’m way undershooting just how much slower my long run training should be! I will have to play around with my pace in training runs more, for sure.

Separately, @apdebord — so sorry to hear about your pup. He was beautiful.

ATTQOTD: Things I *should* do include: carry more water & run earlier (aka before it gets above 85). What really happens is: I snooze, it's hot, I don't carry water, and #sportsbrasquad. But right now I am just doing my #RunStreak, so it's just one milers mostly. Once I get on my marathon training plan it will be lots of hydration and getting up at 4am.

:wave2: Hi fellow streaker!

I'm on Day 33 or 34, can't remember and my Garmin Connect app is acting up!

QOTD: What changes do you make when running in the summer months v/s winter months?
ATTQOTD: For those who haven't already heard me say so, I'm in west-central coastal FL, where "summer" lasts 6 months and is an entirely different level of hot than what most folks think of as "summer," so that colors things enormously. Also, I've had heat stroke twice, making me more susceptible to heat-related illness than the average gal.

Weekday short runs:
I change my work schedule for the summer months to go in an hour later and leave an hour later, so when I run after work, the sun's a bit lower and I can find some shade. I'm out around 7pm and on average the Feels Like is between 95 and 100, actual temp 88-95, and humidity around 65-80%, but with a decent sea breeze. Or, there's a torrential thunderstorm, so I wind up on a treadmill. It's probably about 50/50 outside/inside through the stormy season.

Weekend long runs:
I like to be out about a half-hour before sunrise. On average, temps will be around 80-85 and near-100% humidity, with no air movement at all - stifling, but at least not getting scorched by sun. But the reward is that at sunrise, a sea breeze kicks up, the humidity drops, and it feels a little cooler for about 45 minutes! After that, it's just a raging inferno of heat, so if I still have mileage to cover, I finish on a treadmill indoors, or in the pool doing deep-water running.

In general:
I take in WAY more electrolytes than in cooler months. Nuun before, during, and after every run.

For long runs, I drive to a local park that has ample shade, and I leave a cooler in my car with a big bottle of ice-cold Nuun. I run loops through the park and surrounding neighborhood, circling back to my car to refill my handheld water bottle.

I wear a bandanna wrapped around a wrist - every mile or so, I stop at a water fountain and soak said bandanna, squeeze it over my head/neck/arms/legs, and drape it over my shoulders until it stops feeling cool and I do it all over again.

I slow way the heck down. Any time I feel like I'm overheating, I walk more and run less. Sometimes I'll sit on a bench in the shade for a few minutes. I'm not joking when I say my summer running goal is just about survival, not pace!

I spend the rest of the day after long, hot runs indoors in the AC. Running in the heat takes a lot out of me and I have to be careful not to push it.

:wave2: Hi fellow streaker!

I'm on Day 33 or 34, can't remember and my Garmin Connect app is acting up!
Oh hey!! I started on May 1st, so I am on day 29! Yay for streaking!

giphy-downsized.gif

ATTQOTD - Well, there's summer, and there's summer in the South. When up north in the summer I don't change much. I will carry water for runs over 8 miles instead of my winter threshold of 10 miles, and I wear lighter clothing. In the South (I spend about half of my summer in Alabama and Florida), everything changes. I run earlier (before dawn), I carry water on runs longer than 5 miles, I have ice water for my rag available in a bucket to cool me down on very long runs, and I slow down.

ATTQOTD: Same as most everybody else: I run in the morning first thing instead of waiting for it to warm up. I'd love to say I'm drinking more water but instead I am just walking around feeling more dehydrated and consequently very cranky.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter