The Running Thread - 2019

ATTQOTD: Just North of Orlando here. I've been drinking so much more Nuun lately too! I've been wondering if I really need it, but it tastes so good to me now that the weather is really heating up.
The first summer I was running long distances down here, I was only drinking plain water. One long run, I started getting tunnel vision, stopped sweating, felt nauseous and dizzy, and got chills. Classic heat illness heading toward heat stroke, and quite possibly on the verge of hyponatremia. I happened to have a physical scheduled a few days later and mentioned it to my doc. She advised that I was likely very low in electrolytes and told me to 1. start adding salt to my meals during the hot months (I normally never add salt when cooking- not for health reasons, but because I don't like the taste of salt), and 2. to start using Gatorade or any other electrolyte replacement drink. Doing that made a HUGE improvement in my ability to handle summer running! I use Nuun mostly now because I don't need the glucose in Gatorade (I get that form gels), and the Nuun tabs are so handy to carry with me for refills.

@apdebord i am so sorry to hear about your baby. I remembered that you had just lost a fur baby fairly recently. It is devastating. Peace and hugs to you.

I spent the holiday weekend at Gulf Shores, for a camping Dismeet. OMG the yellow flies were awful. Got up ran early with sunscreen, bug spray, and sweat. It was a great weekend but i was doped up on benedryl for most of it.

Attqotd: less clothes, more fluids in summer, although I have bonked two runs this year from inadequate fluids. This year I have to carry all my liquids with me since I have been running in backcountry/slackcountry.

Also, in prep for my race on Saturday I just bought my gloves which is something I have never had to do for summer running.

Just a note of misery. For the last few weeks I have been dieting in an effort to lose about 20 pounds. My blood pressure is creeping up and my doctor says that the weight loss should get me back into the normal range. So, at his direction I am operating on a 500 calorie/day deficit. The first week it was barely noticeable, but I am now in the "concrete leg" phase in which I feel like I am over-training when I am clearly not over-training just because of the daily calorie deficit.

In other words, my runs suck right now and I hate it since running is my primary means of stress relief. 😡

Is this race sold out? I’m in NYC next week and this sounds like a fun thing to do that morning. I can’t see on Nyrr how to sign up.
I believe it is sold out unless you have a code from NYRR. Not sure who gets those though.
But don't let that stop you from running in the park, it is an amazing place to explore while running!

Just a note of misery. For the last few weeks I have been dieting in an effort to lose about 20 pounds. My blood pressure is creeping up and my doctor says that the weight loss should get me back into the normal range. So, at his direction I am operating on a 500 calorie/day deficit. The first week it was barely noticeable, but I am now in the "concrete leg" phase in which I feel like I am over-training when I am clearly not over-training just because of the daily calorie deficit.

In other words, my runs suck right now and I hate it since running is my primary means of stress relief. 😡
My condolences on the diet, I’m dieting too and yeah the energy just isn’t the same. Future you will thank you though! At least that’s what I tell myself.

I am right there with you. Trying to loose 20+ pounds, currently down about 6, but hungry a lot and ever runs since I've started has been harder/slower than I'd like

The first summer I was running long distances down here, I was only drinking plain water. One long run, I started getting tunnel vision, stopped sweating, felt nauseous and dizzy, and got chills. Classic heat illness heading toward heat stroke, and quite possibly on the verge of hyponatremia. I happened to have a physical scheduled a few days later and mentioned it to my doc. She advised that I was likely very low in electrolytes and told me to 1. start adding salt to my meals during the hot months (I normally never add salt when cooking- not for health reasons, but because I don't like the taste of salt), and 2. to start using Gatorade or any other electrolyte replacement drink. Doing that made a HUGE improvement in my ability to handle summer running! I use Nuun mostly now because I don't need the glucose in Gatorade (I get that form gels), and the Nuun tabs are so handy to carry with me for refills.

I've had those exact same symptoms on some hot, humid days in the summer here near DC. If you think it won't happen to you because you're not in Florida, think again. :) I'm much more mindful about hydration and electrolytes in the warmer months.

I am right there with you. Trying to loose 20+ pounds, currently down about 6, but hungry a lot and ever runs since I've started has been harder/slower than I'd like
I dropped 50 over the winter and hit a plateau. Now that racing season has started I think I am going to stop stressing it and make sure I am not hungry all the time and get back to dieting at the end of September. Which is not to say I am pigging out and making **** decisions, but I am not maniacally counting calories.

I would like this next 40# gone though, in all honesty.

I believe it is sold out unless you have a code from NYRR. Not sure who gets those though.
But don't let that stop you from running in the park, it is an amazing place to explore while running!

I’m staying at like 40th and Lexington. Any recs to run closer. I may go up one morning but it’s kind of a hike.

I dropped 50 over the winter and hit a plateau. Now that racing season has started I think I am going to stop stressing it and make sure I am not hungry all the time and get back to dieting at the end of September. Which is not to say I am pigging out and making **** decisions, but I am not maniacally counting calories.

I would like this next 40# gone though, in all honesty.
50 pounds??!! Awesome work, that’s hard I’m sure.

@huskies90 I’m doing the 10k this weekend where you’re doing the half. Have you done this race before? Is parking really bad? I’m coming from around the New Haven area so I’m planning on being there around 6 to park and get my bib.

Hi, All!

Stopping by to say hello. I’ve been absent this month...working in public education means I’ve been busy this month with end of the year meetings, graduation, etc.

And just when work slows down, a tornado visits my neighborhood...missed our house by 200 yards. We were lucky...no damage to our house or property. We were without electricity for 27 hours but I cannot complain...our neighbors lost barns, roofs to houses and pretty much all their mature trees.

Haven’t been running...really need to get back to it!

@huskies90 I’m doing the 10k this weekend where you’re doing the half. Have you done this race before? Is parking really bad? I’m coming from around the New Haven area so I’m planning on being there around 6 to park and get my bib.
Yes. I did the 10K last year. There is a huge parking area right next to the starting/finish lines (Iron Horse Blvd). If you get there at 6 you will have no issue parking. They close off the entry to the parking area from Iron Horse Blvd at some point but you can still access it from rt 202 and again, if you get there early, no issues. The 10K starts at 7:30. The Half and 5K start at 7:45. The starting lines are all on Iron Horse but are staggered. The 10K is the furthest to the front. The 5K is in the middle and the Half all the way in the back. For parking, note that the Half starting line is also the finish line for all the races. And that is where the bib pick-up and pre/post race activities are (bandshell/sports fields).

I really enjoyed the 10K last year. Hoping for another great race and great weather again this year. Simsbury is a beautiful classic rural Connecticut town. Enjoy!!

It’s just temporary though. You will adjust and everything will be fine. Once you lose the weight running will become even more fun because it will be less weight to carry over all those miles.

I’m in the same boat as a bunch of you. When I first started running I dropped about 40 lbs. I have managed to keep it off for 5 years for the most part. I gained about ten pounds back after my surgery for lack of movement but have stayed pretty constant. But now I am trying to drop another 30 lbs and finally get under 200 lbs. Last night I was on my bike and had to cut my ride short because I was getting that shaky feeling like my blood sugar was low and I was dizzy. Not a good combination when you’re on a bike. I had only eaten about 700 calories all day prior so I am assuming it was that. But I feel all your pain, believe me. I just really want to finally get below that 200 lb mark.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!