The Running Thread - 2019

ATTQOTD: No plans yet to go to DL. I'm going to WDW with friends September 11 for a few days. What I find funny is they like to sleep in and they usually go in October, but chose September this year because it's quieter. And now it's 13 days after Galaxy's Edge opens. Plus DHS opens at 6 am, so no sleeping in either! I'm keeping an eye on how things go in Disneyland to get as much info on crowd patterns, food, etc. for when I do go. I'm keeping an eye on airfare to California though, so a quick weekend trip to DL isn't out of the question.

Congrats @Professor_Cookie, 50 pounds is a big accomplishment.

I didn't understand the part where you referenced "no beer."
Surely that must of been a typo on your part. :drinking1
Uh, sadly no. I’m allegedly a chef and have a free and never ending source of beer and people willing to drink it with me, so it can get out of hand, which I don’t need now that I have surprise baby.

ATTQOTD: Planning DLR trip for July 13-17. Not planning on seeing SWGE at that time, but will attempt to join a "boarding party" and if I get in, I get in. WDW in November, and I'll be at SWGE come hell or high water!!

Personally, I like a more defined marathon training plan, which varies the distance ran and includes speedwork and rest days. I worry that you will break down (not necessarily physically, but just get mentally drained being "forced" to do 6 miles every day). Or that you run 6 miles at the same pace all the time, not slowing down appropriately to reduce overuse or getting faster with speedwork. Especially since you said you ran several days in a row last week too hard and your shins and calves were hurting.

Very good points. This week, I've structured "easy runs" around 5ks. So, Monday I ran a 5k at a sustainable pace. Tuesday I ran a mile as fast as I could, walked a mile as fast as I could, then did a run/walk cool down for a mile. So it was still 3 miles, but gave me the opportunity to push myself, and also pull back pretty far (I have as hard of a time running slower than average as I do running fast). Another 5k on Wednesday, and then repeated the run/walk/intervals on Thursday, and then 4 miles today to get me on track with a marathon training plan.

My planning is to utilize those Tuesday Thursday workouts to work on speedwork and then MWF to work on endurance / increase mileage.

Attqotd: no SWGE:NSFW:LOL:BRB for me until September...which I just extended my stay for a couple of days and added the Oogie Boogie Bash to. It looks like I’ll make the drive with my ladies from SLC right after my A half marathon.

Then I’ll see WDW:SWGE:NSFW:LOL:BRB in January.

I am finally caught up after 30+ pages :crazy2:. This thread moves fast. I am not even going to attempt to answer previous question.

ATTQOTD: No plans to see SWGE at either DLR or WDW. We are waiting for more new attractions to be finished before making a return trip. Thinking maybe for the 50th.

Out of curiosity, I went and looked at Hanson's Beginner Half plan because my first will be princess 2020. It has you run 615 miles in 18 weeks. Is that normal?!?! I'm intimidated

Like anything else, you have to build a base that would allow for that kind of mileage. When I was in my 30s and 40s, I would typically peak out between 60-70 miles/week during a marathon training cycle, typically running about 1000 miles during the 18 weeks, so 615 isn't bad at all. But when I was doing that my base mileage was 45/week for at least 3 months before the cycle began.

So, I have been off the boards for a while (haven't posted in about eight months) which just happens to correspond to me being off the roads as well. I think I was burnt out after four Hansons half marathon training plans in a row. In any case, I just started to get back into running shape about three weeks ago... ugh, the first month back is always painful. I have started a training plan (using one of the McMillan plans through Garmin Connect) just to keep me honest, although there is no actual race at the end of the training plan (shhh, don't tell me). Anyway, here are my May stats:

May Training Summary
Total Miles: 42.1 miles
Total Time: 6:48:30
Average Pace: 9:42/mi
Average HR: 146/min

Out of curiosity, I went and looked at Hanson's Beginner Half plan because my first will be princess 2020. It has you run 615 miles in 18 weeks. Is that normal?!?! I'm intimidated

On that note- I finished May with 37 miles lol

What is normal? Seriously, all plans are different. I have done Hansons and there are a couple of things to keep in mind. It has you run 6 days/week. That can be a lot regardless of who you are and how experienced. It also has most of those runs as easy, which will mitigate the potential for injury/burnout.

That said, it is a fair amount of miles (peaking at 47/week). I have used other plans and done fewer miles with good results (even done 3 days/week). I would strongly consider looking at others, like Higdon. I'm not sure I would recommend Hansons as a starter half plan, but that's' just one opinion.

ATTQOTD:

We made reservations for September 5-10 for the (becoming annual) trip I do with my sister, niece and nephew for MNSSHP. Specifically targeted those dates as potentially quiet (for Disney) crowd periods. Well, that got flipped on it’s head. The good thing is that I still got an incredible rate for AKL because we booked when they had some great deals (one of the reasons why we figured there was 0% chance of SWGE opening).

Initially, when SWGE dates were announced, I was kind of angry. I wasn’t going to cancel, but I was thinking we’d probably skip DHS altogether and spend more time at the resort or Disney Springs in lieu of fighting the increased crowds that spill over into the other parks. Now, since they’ve announced the daily 6-9 AM EMH and daily EMH at the other parks, I’m back all-in and even excited about braving the crowds to at least walk around SWGE.

I’ve posted in my journal, but I’ll share them here as well. I have shirts ready to go for SWGE and MNSSHP:
53941D77-F39D-43D1-9CC5-4A36AB1B4300.jpeg

We are doing a Disney Bound/quasi-costume for MNSSHP with each of us going wearing the comfy clothes of a princess from Ralph Breaks The Internet (I’m Ariel, if it wasn’t apparent).

What is normal? Seriously, all plans are different. I have done Hansons and there are a couple of things to keep in mind. It has you run 6 days/week. That can be a lot regardless of who you are and how experienced. It also has most of those runs as easy, which will mitigate the potential for injury/burnout.

That said, it is a fair amount of miles (peaking at 47/week). I have used other plans and done fewer miles with good results (even done 3 days/week). I would strongly consider looking at others, like Higdon. I'm not sure I would recommend Hansons as a starter half plan, but that's' just one opinion.
I do plan on having @DopeyBadger help me with a plan for as long as he's willing. He's currently helping me with a 10k plan.

I find all the mileage you guys can complete so impressive and hope to be with you all one day!

Like anything else, you have to build a base that would allow for that kind of mileage. When I was in my 30s and 40s, I would typically peak out between 60-70 miles/week during a marathon training cycle, typically running about 1000 miles during the 18 weeks, so 615 isn't bad at all. But when I was doing that my base mileage was 45/week for at least 3 months before the cycle began.
1000 miles! Wow, you must have gone through shoes like crazy! That's awesome.

Fun Friday QOTD: Any of you brave souls at DL currently or planning on going in the next 7 days? How about after Galaxy's Edge opens at WDW, how soon after opening are you going to go?

ATTQOTD: Not at DL, and wont see it at WDW until June of 2020 :(

MEEEEE!!!!!!!

We just happen to have tickets to see Dead and Co. in LA on June 3rd and when the reservations opened for SWGE at DL I waited for like 2.5 hours (and by waited, I mean I had the window up at work) and got us a spot for Tuesday June 4th at 2pm-6pm. The problem is we also have to drive back to AZ that night sooooo it's gonna be a long caffeine filled ride. But I guess we are gonna go see Star Wars Land!

May Totals:

Running: 109 miles
Average Pace: 9:31
Total Elevation Gain: 12,400 ft
Steps: 515,942

A little light on the miles. I just can't seem to hit previous year's miles. Since December, my average pace continues to creep down by a few seconds per month; although I expect that to change with the increasing heat.

Thanks for all the great recommendations @LandoBlanco @steph0808 @SheHulk @thmcdonald1 @canglim52. I'll see what the library has available!

ATTWOTD: We were tentatively planning a summer DL trip and fall WDW trip back before both SWGE openings got pushed up. Now I'm not so sure – the kiddos are constantly asking to go back after our trip in April, and I don't really need much additional motivation to go spend money at Disney...🙈

Fun Friday QOTD: Any of you brave souls at DL currently or planning on going in the next 7 days? How about after Galaxy's Edge opens at WDW, how soon after opening are you going to go?
ATTQOTD: Our next trips are to WDW - a long weekend in November (Veterans Day) and then for the Marathon in January. It will be interesting to see how well they control the crowds in FL. It will also be interesting to find out when Rise of the Resistance is opening. Hopefully it is open in November.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!