The Running Thread - 2019

ATTQOTD: I have a trip booked in October so we are going to try and see GE then using EEMH. This trip was booked before the announcement so I'm excited but won't be too upset if we don't get in. I'll be back again in February for Princess and likely again later in 2020 (APs) so while I'm excited, I'm not stressing about planning for it or fitting everything in.

ATTQOTD: I'm assuming our trip for Marathon Weekend will be our first chance to see it. Hubby is the type that wants to see the latest and greatest no matter what it is. Given that it's Star Wars you can guarantee he's going to want to go first thing. Given that he will probably still be pumped up after the next movie release, it's a guarantee he will be at rope drop an hour+ before park opening to line up. I'm leaning toward not making these races a PR attempt just because of SWGE and getting dragged around touring.

We just happen to have tickets to see Dead and Co. in LA on June 3rd and when the reservations opened for SWGE at DL I waited for like 2.5 hours (and by waited, I mean I had the window up at work) and got us a spot for Tuesday June 4th at 2pm-6pm.
Hey now! This entire post is so amazing, I "Sqeee!!"ed out loud! Dead+SW= Kindest road trip ever. ♥ I'm so excited for you!!

ATTQOTD: No SWGE for me. Next trip is scheduled to be a short stint for wine and dine; with DH running the 10K, followed by kids races, and then the half I do not see us making it to the parks for the 6am open. I did suggest to DH that he could go for a solo mid-week trip in September if he wanted to, but I do not think he believes me. I will probably not go in FL until it isn't blocked out for CMs as I like to hang with my friend and it is generally an indicator that the lines will not be intolerable.

May Miles
46 miles at an average pace of 12:17. Both of these numbers are lower than I had planned for, but I did not account for travel which derailed the total miles and lost me a few runs, and post travel exhaustion and the arrival of humidity got to me more than I had expected.

I am waiting to see how I do on this weekend's half before I set any real goals for June. Having only covered the distance at Disney, I expect it to be a totally different experience. I am aware people are excited and go out too fast, and likely run faster during a race, but I would be curious if anyone could comment on how much of a difference one would expect between regular run and race run pace.
I am driving myself nuts as I found that there is a hard cut off at 3:15 which I did not realize until last night. I will continue to mumble to myself and do math in my head to reassure myself I will be fine. I will be fine. I keep going over my training run data and plugging numbers into every online race time predictor and even with a humid 6 mile run around my neighborhood as opposed to a race I should be fine. Either way, I am looking forward to the pretzel rolls and beer at the end so they better not run out!

@LSUlakes
Memorial Day May 27th was my Peach Jam 1/2 Marathon
With the projected heat, I was not looking forward to it so much, but the morning dawned at 65* instead of 72 and I was grateful. By the time we started, it was 67-68* and when I finished it was a warm 81, but again, I was grateful since the forecasted high for the day was 96, which happened a few hours later!
DH paced me with a 1:00/:30 run walk ratio up until the last mile when I began to slow a little and extended my walks to about :40 and at least one longer, and I told him to go ahead and finish. So despite the heat, it was a good race with no problems other than being hot and tired.

Result: 2:28:54.5 (PR on this course was 2:13), 11:22/M pace, and third in my age group!!

@apdebord So sorry for your loss. I know this has been a difficult year for you.

May totals
Miles: 121
Time: 22.37 hr.
Pace: 11:09

Fun Friday QOTD: Any of you brave souls at DL currently or planning on going in the next 7 days? How about after Galaxy's Edge opens at WDW, how soon after opening are you going to go?

I'll be at WDW for W&D, so hopefully, we will be able to get into SWGE then. I am looking forward to seeing it, riding in the Millennium Falcon, trying out the food and buying merch, but I am NOT looking forward to the crowds. I refuse to stand in line for several hours for a ride, so riding Millennium Falcon may depend on if fast passes are available by then. I have still never ridden FOP, 7DMT, or SDD without a fast pass because of the lines, but I have been able to get fast passes almost every time we've been.

For those of you braving the crowds at DL right now, GIVE US A REPORT!

ATTQOTD heading to both Galaxies Edges in 4 months! Starting with a week at WDW (booked prior to the opening announcement) and then 2 days at DLR (flight home is via LAX). Just checked out wait times on the app and it is an acceptable 70 minutes for the falcon ride, the reservation system certainly looks to be controlling crowds well, and the rest of the park doesn’t look too bad. I’m expecting carnage when I am there as all levels of AP will be open...

May totals 11km which I am really happy about as it means I am running again!

MEEEEE!!!!!!!

We just happen to have tickets to see Dead and Co. in LA on June 3rd and when the reservations opened for SWGE at DL I waited for like 2.5 hours (and by waited, I mean I had the window up at work) and got us a spot for Tuesday June 4th at 2pm-6pm. The problem is we also have to drive back to AZ that night sooooo it's gonna be a long caffeine filled ride. But I guess we are gonna go see Star Wars Land!
Stop rubbing it in ok?

ATQOTD: No plans for DL and won't get to WDW for Galaxies Edge until Wine and Dine Weekend.

May total:
100.5 miles
Which is pretty bad considering I did 50 miles in one day on the 4th as part of my Rock the Ridge 50 Mile Challenge. I did take a few days off after to recover.
I need to put some more races on my schedule to force myself into a training plan.

2019 Total so far: 710.47 miles
Jan 116.62
Feb 140.92
March 189.84
April 162.59
May 100.50
Well on my way to my 1,000 mile 2019 goal

May 2019
Running: 85.0 miles
-average pace 11:52
-total time: 16.80 hours

Tennis: 21 hours

Running is ramping up...about 25% more miles than my low in April after my March marathon. It feels weird to be running so few miles, but I will admit that with the end-of-semester busyness, it was probably a good break for me. I just did a 5K race on Memorial Day and am preparing for a HM on July 14.

Tennis is in full swing (pardon the pun) with the warm weather! A little time off for the Memorial Day weekend.

I've been doing some looking online, but this post prompted me to ask here – are there any good books folks can recommend for me? I'm not necessarily looking for a book on training or inspiration to run, but really more about the science behind running. Certainly appreciate any suggestions!

I’ve read most of the books that have been recommended and have liked them a lot. Two others, that I didn’t see mentioned, that I like a lot are:

The Perfect Mile: Three Athletes, One Goal, and Less Than Four Minutes to Achieve It

Run to Overcome: The Inspiring Story of an American Champion's Long-Distance Quest to Achieve a Big Dream

ATTQOTD: No plans to visit DL. Next time to WDW will be Jan for Dopey. Will try and for Galaxy’s Edge into that trip.

May Totals:
Miles - 175.1
Time - 27hr 17min
Ave Pace - 9’21”

Miles for the year - 627.4. This puts me back on target for my goal of 1,500 miles for the year. I’ve been playing catch up since I was sick for most of Feb.

ATTQOTD: I have 2 (maybe 3) reservations for when we go in 2 weeks. Although I'm a huge SW fan, I'm oddly restrained though can't wait for the blue milk and cantina. My brother and his friends in NY are more excited for me. Going with 2 other families and nervous about all the crowds with our young non-SW loving kids. I have a reservation for just myself (by mistake I swear!) and I might go crazy on that one. :P

May:
Total: 163 mi
Avg Pace: 8:34

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter