The Running Thread - 2019

Ok, runners, I’m filling in for @LSUlakes today and sending out the QOTD. I thought I’d go with something lighthearted to generate some fun conversation. Would you rather run the exact same route outdoors every day or run on a treadmill every single day?

Personally, I’d opt for the same outdoor route. Treadmills are bad enough when used when needed. I can’t imagine how bored I’d be running on one all the time every single day.
Outdoors all day long!

Any advice for registering for Princess tomorrow? I'll be registering for the 5k and challenge (5k first - challenge second?) and I feel good about that - just need to bring my computer to work/make sure I'm back in the office on time. If I can't be there on time - will registering on my phone be a hassle? I'm out of data and it's been slow lately.

I'm more worried about my parents. My dad is registering himself and my mom for the 5k and 10k. Will he be able to do that successfully? Any tips to ensure they get the races?
Get in the queue before registration opens. The button for purchasing becomes active before the time and you get to a page that refreshes by itself. Stay there, it eventually unblocks, sometimes many minutes after registration time opens.

Good morning everybody. I can "volunteer" for posting a question today.

QOTD: Let's say you won a contest to run a RunDisney event for free, and one of the perks is that you were able to pick 3 other people to run it with you.
To make it more interesting, let's say your 3 selections should be currently living, and someone you don't know. Celebrities, musicians, poets, writers, artists, world leaders are all fair game.

Who would they be and why?

ATTQOD: Wow @Slogger. That's a tough question. Obviously I would choose family members but you didn't allow me that choice.

I think I would go with
#1 Meb (who doesn't want to run with Meb, not sure he can run slow enough for me)
#2-Jimmy Buffett (love the music, love the stories, the miles would fly by)
#3-Oprah Winfrey (amazing success story, always a positive outlook)

Your turn.

Any advice for registering for Princess tomorrow? I'll be registering for the 5k and challenge (5k first - challenge second?) and I feel good about that - just need to bring my computer to work/make sure I'm back in the office on time. If I can't be there on time - will registering on my phone be a hassle? I'm out of data and it's been slow lately.

I'm more worried about my parents. My dad is registering himself and my mom for the 5k and 10k. Will he be able to do that successfully? Any tips to ensure they get the races?

To add to what was previously stated, do not dawdle with your cart. In the past, as long as you were able to select a race you could take the allotted time with it in your cart and be safe that your registration was being held until you checked out. When I registered my family for Marathon Weekend we were able to select the race, but when it came time to pay the 5k had been sold out and we were no longer able to include that registration. So don’t believe that just because you were able to start a registration that you have a ton of time to add more registrations (or spend time considering Merch) before checking out.

If Marathon Weekend is any guide, the 5k was gone in under 20 minutes and the 10k didn’t take much longer. If the 5k is important I would target getting those registrations done first and going back for the 10k and Challenge. It might be a little different for Princess because there aren’t (I don’t believe) as many 5k bibs tied up for challenges like MW has with Dopey.

I don’t mean to make it sound too daunting, but I was very surprised at the pace the 5k sold out for Marathon Weekend. Getting all the registrations I wanted would have been doable if I was prepared for the speed at which things sold out, but I thought I had more time than I did.

Good Luck!

Good morning everybody. I can "volunteer" for posting a question today.

QOTD: Let's say you won a contest to run a RunDisney event for free, and one of the perks is that you were able to pick 3 other people to run it with you.
To make it more interesting, let's say your 3 selections should be currently living, and someone you don't know. Celebrities, musicians, poets, writers, artists, world leaders are all fair game.

ATTQOD: Wow @Slogger. That's a tough question. Obviously I would choose family members but you didn't allow me that choice.

I think I would go with
#1 Meb (who doesn't want to run with Meb, not sure he can run slow enough for me)
#2-Jimmy Buffett (love the music, love the stories, the miles would fly by)
#3-Oprah Winfrey (amazing success story, always a positive outlook)

Your turn.
I’d run Rival Run with Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford and Daisy Ridley naturally!

ATTQOTD:
1. Des Linden - of all the pro runners out there, I think I'd enjoy her company most. If nothing else, we could talk whiskey.

The bulk of my favorite writers, artists and musicians are dead. :( All I can think of are...

2. Eminem. Maybe the only person on earth who could out-swear me in a marathon :rotfl:
3. That Lucy lady who hosts PBS shows about monarchs. We could talk British history while I inwardly giggle at how she says "banaaaaaana." :banana:

ATTQOTD: Outdoors. Always outdoors.
Right. So, a day later, I was on the treadmill. Because I couldn't stand the heat outdoors. :rolleyes:

ATTQOTD:
So at a Disney race, I'm tempted to say Mickey, Minnie and a Mary Poppins' Penguin, because my race pictures would be GREAT.

Assuming that speed was no issue, I'd love to run with Des, one of my favorite running bloggers, and someone from one of my favorite podcasts to entertain me (how funny would Pete Werner be? ;) )

ATTQOTD:
1. Des Linden - of all the pro runners out there, I think I'd enjoy her company most. If nothing else, we could talk whiskey.

The bulk of my favorite writers, artists and musicians are dead. :( All I can think of are...

2. Eminem. Maybe the only person on earth who could out-swear me in a marathon :rotfl:
3. That Lucy lady who hosts PBS shows about monarchs. We could talk British history while I inwardly giggle at how she says "banaaaaaana." :banana:

Right. So, a day later, I was on the treadmill. Because I couldn't stand the heat outdoors. :rolleyes:
I’m sure I could give you a run for your money. I’m a kitchen worker, so it’s a constant stream of gallows/shock humor with f-bomb punctuation.

I do have a filter at tables and around other peoples children, though, so I am not the dude-bro at Disney fouling up the air. What can I say, mom was an army nurse, I learned from the best.

Attqotd: I would take friends I haven’t seen in awhile. Having moved around so much as a child and adult, they are all scattered across US/Mex/Euro. It would be nice to have some time to catch up with them in person.

I’m sure I could give you a run for your money. I’m a kitchen worker, so it’s a constant stream of gallows/shock humor with f-bomb punctuation.
LOL I know exactly what you mean - I did some time in the restaurant biz and while technically my job was front of the house, I spent plenty of QT in the kitchen. Chef adored me. :teeth::rotfl2:

ATTQOD: Robert Downey Jr, Chris Evans, and Chris Hemsworth and they would be required to run in their full Marvel character outfits. I will wear a generic Avengers running shirt...best.group.costume.ever!!

ATTQOTD: Such a tough question, but I like it. I'm going to go with Eluid Kipchoge, Patrick Sang, and Katelyn Tuohy.

-Kipchoge because he's the GOAT. Not many times in life will you ever get the chance to run with the GOAT. I'd love to pick his brain on his wisdom.
-Sang because he's Kipchoge's coach. So I'd love to swap notes and learn from the man teaching the current GOAT.
-Tuohy because she's a high school female phenom runner. It would be fun to meet someone closer to the beginning of their career and have G meet her. If she stays healthy, someday she may become the GOAT of the female runners.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!